PDA

View Full Version : Need help from Mac users

Pusheen
09-10-2015, 06:43 PM
So, lately my MacBook has been getting peeled off the edge (picture below)
which is pretty annoying since there's where I rest my hand while browsing and it kind of hurts.
I was wondering if this is common?

And is there any type of thing I could buy to put on the edge
like some pillow/soft protector or something to avoid getting hurt and making it peel more?

Thanks, open to your suggestions :P

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

PrettySarcastic
09-10-2015, 06:49 PM
I have a Macbook air and haven't experienced this problem, but the MBA receives very low use, typically when I'm traveling or some such.

If you have Apple Care on your Macbook there's a really decent chance they'll fix it for you at an Apple store. Do you have Apple Care/Have you tried that?

I did some quick google searching and this is an issue quite a few people have reported, and more than a few have said Apple repaired it for them.

IE: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

If repairing is impossible, maybe try something like these? [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Pusheen
09-10-2015, 07:07 PM
I have a Macbook air and haven't experienced this problem, but the MBA receives very low use, typically when I'm traveling or some such.

If you have Apple Care on your Macbook there's a really decent chance they'll fix it for you at an Apple store. Do you have Apple Care/Have you tried that?

I did some quick google searching and this is an issue quite a few people have reported, and more than a few have said Apple repaired it for them.

Not sure what Apple Care is, but I don't think I have it (if it's some subscription that needs to be paid or such, no, I don't have it)
I've also had this Macbook for around 4 years so mosty likely the time for the free reparations/replacement dates is due already :'(
I don't use a mouse since I usually work on my bed and I use the touch section to move the cursor, and in the end I got used to it xD

So far I just decided to put a small piece of transparent tape over it to stop getting scratched... but would love to know if there are any type of protectors to stick over it, and what kind of name they have :'c When I search on google I just find the usual keyboard protectors that you usually put over each key, but I need something that sticks around the keyboard idk

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Ohh, just saw the edited link, thank you!

PrettySarcastic
09-10-2015, 07:08 PM
You can try something like this:

They have mixed reviews (there's different ones for each model, I think, so you'd have to pick the right one) but it could work for you!

Edit... So here's what I'd try. I found this Etsy seller who does skins for Macbooks:

If I had this problem, I'd try reaching out to this seller and ask them if they had ever seen anything like the chipping issue you're having, and if they could custom design a skin that would wrap around/over it.

It looks like their base design would come right up to the problematic edge, thus the need for a custom product.

:D

Pusheen
09-10-2015, 07:21 PM
You can try something like this:

They have mixed reviews (there's different ones for each model, I think, so you'd have to pick the right one) but it could work for you!

Edit... So here's what I'd try. I found this Etsy seller who does skins for Macbooks:

If I had this problem, I'd try reaching out to this seller and ask them if they had ever seen anything like the chipping issue you're having, and if they could custom design a skin that would wrap around/over it.

It looks like their base design would come right up to the problematic edge, thus the need for a custom product.

:D

Thank you honey, you were super helpful!!! :love_heart:

Charlie
09-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Rrachel
Wow, I've never seen that before :S I wonder what caused that to happen.. I don't have much advice sorry, except what was said above and to try to find a skin that covers it. I would suggest that, so you're not adding some weird substance to it and possibly make it worse. A skin should cause it to not bother you, and it won't hurt your laptop like substances may. That's all I got though, sorry :( Good luck and lemme know what you find! I'm gonna have to watch my laptop more now.

PrettySarcastic
09-10-2015, 07:33 PM
:) Hope at least one of those works out. What a weird issue!