PDA

View Full Version : I need some help guys.

John
02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm a student. As of late my grades have been coming progressively worse, i just feel like i care less and less about everything. I'm not exactly depressed but some just feels off. My grades are the primary problem though. I go to a private boarding school and if my grades arent good enough i risk not being asked back. plus my parents have decided that if i cant round off the year with at least an 80% average i will not be allowed to go back. In the first term I got a 76% average and right now it just keeps sinking. I care a lot about the school and it would kill me to not be able to come back next year, but i just feel like it's a lost cause and i cant pull it together(even though i know if i focus down hard enough on it i can). I'm plenty smart enough to do the work, but i just cant seem to get my work ethic going. i spend a ton of time procrastinating and i have a lot of trouble actually getting started on my work. So does anyone have any suggestions on how i can improve my work ethic and get my grades and life back together a bit?

bamag
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Do your work before you start doing other stuff. I sleep at 3AM everyday because I waste time on neo and the forums before I start doing my homework :(

John
02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
yeah, but i cant seem to do that, i always seem to just get on my computer and then im fucked. i spend like 7 hours and then its way too late to get it all done.

bamag
02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
I know how you feel lol, I procrastinate like crazy :(
My SAT is on 3/10 and I haven't started studying.. College applications in a while as well...
Just figure out a way to balance computer time and other stuff.. I need to figure that out as well

Reemer
02-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I have the same problem. You just have to stop spending so much time on here and Neo. The way I see it, you can either spend time online right now and stress to do the homework later, or do the homework now and not stress about being online later.

John
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
yeah, i just seem to have my priorities really messed up. and i feel like i just dont have any drive....

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

thats another part reemer, i just have such a hard time doing that, my self control is absolute shit

Reemer
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
yeah, i just seem to have my priorities really messed up. and i feel like i just dont have any drive....

I did the exact same thing my last semester, which was the first semester at this university. I hardly studied and mostly was on the computer or playing games. I got 2 B's, a C and a [horrible] D. Now I'm just determined to do better this semester, but I'm still struggling. You just need something to shock you into getting your priorities straightened.

bamag
02-19-2012, 10:26 PM
You could also try doing homework during lunch or a free period :p

John
02-19-2012, 10:28 PM
yeah i just dont know what that something is. i know its a problem but i always just seem to reassure my self with "oh i will do my homework later" or "i will start studying harder next week"

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

i would, but instead i come back to my room and go on neo.

yamakracker
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Well my method is to quit doin' all the unnecessary things in my daily life and focus on studies.
And pay extra attention during class.
Worked for me in HS and it still works for me in college atm.
Sacrifice some to get some. xD

John
02-19-2012, 10:32 PM
well for me that is neo and i cant seem to get off it quite often

bamag
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Just do whatever it takes to get back on track.
For example Sherri realized that performing her duties for this site was taking too much of a toll on her studies so she decided to take a break from the forums.
Force yourself to finish what you need to do before you do stuff on the computer.
You might be like "Oh, I'll just go on for a minute" but once you start, you won't be able to stop unless you have self control.

Reemer
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Self-freeze then. And stop selling until summer.

John
02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
i might need to do that, but i feel like that its kind of waste applying for omm and then just leaving.

Reemer
02-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Real life happens. You don't have to fully leave, just don't get on here 24/7

zxzero
02-19-2012, 10:41 PM
yeah, but i cant seem to do that, i always seem to just get on my computer and then im fucked. i spend like 7 hours and then its way too late to get it all done.

Try to have set times on when you are going to do something and do not stray from that. If you tell yourself you are going to play for 20 minutes then enjoy those 20 mins and get to work.

Also, if you want to train yourself for a better work ethic just do this. Say you've played on the computer for 20 mins and then you got off, that is a positive thing (what you are working towards, now take a treat; i.e. go get something out of the cupboard that you really like such as some type of snack). Do your homework or w/e you need to and when you are done take another treat. Just treat yourself when you are doing good and your brain will react and eventually get out of this type of rut you are in. If you have any further questions or are a bit confused feel free to pm me.

Grades are very important, you don't want to keep slacking on that stuff.

John
02-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Real life happens. You don't have to fully leave, just don't get on here 24/7

if i did that, then i would get talked back into trading again

Chelle
02-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Have you thought about seeing a doctor about the possibility of ADD or something of the like? My husband has ADD and it's not always characterized by consistently bad grades or hyperactivity - he was always really good in school as long as he was motivated, and the ADD decreased his motivation.

John
02-19-2012, 10:52 PM
i have adhd and take meds for it

Bettser
I'm a student. As of late my grades have been coming progressively worse, i just feel like i care less and less about everything. I'm not exactly depressed but some just feels off. My grades are the primary problem though. I go to a private boarding school and if my grades arent good enough i risk not being asked back. plus my parents have decided that if i cant round off the year with at least an 80% average i will not be allowed to go back. In the first term I got a 76% average and right now it just keeps sinking. I care a lot about the school and it would kill me to not be able to come back next year, but i just feel like it's a lost cause and i cant pull it together(even though i know if i focus down hard enough on it i can). I'm plenty smart enough to do the work, but i just cant seem to get my work ethic going. i spend a ton of time procrastinating and i have a lot of trouble actually getting started on my work. So does anyone have any suggestions on how i can improve my work ethic and get my grades and life back together a bit?

Man, I feel like the same. Im in my last year of University and its killing me. Nothing has been mattering. I just tried going out more (parties, bars, etc) which you would think was a bad idea but it sort of cheered me up and helped me keep going. :\ I met a huge new group of friends. Try taking a break and doing something like this.

bamag
Dang lol I probably have undiagnosed ADHD :\

John
02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
thats something else, since i am in school, i am not allowed to have he meds in my room because its a controlled substance so i have to walk a good 10min to the health center to go get them at least once a day and tend to skip it a lot. and it makes a huge difference when i take them.

Chelle
02-19-2012, 10:58 PM
The first thing you need to do is figure out how to take your meds daily. It's so, SO important. I'm on medication for my PTSD and anxiety and without my meds I can't function. I then get into a spiral where I don't feel like taking them, which only makes it worse, which just makes me not want to take them even more.

ShadowCreature
02-19-2012, 11:09 PM
I reward myself with little things
IE: i work for an hour then i can have a glass of soda or something
try making a game of it

Khelddar
02-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Most of the time the hardest thing with homework or studying is starting, as long as you set some time aside each day and stick to it then your grades will improve. Also the only way to feel like its not a lost cause is to get better grades, kinda cyclical but what can you do.

Lastly and i hate saying this, maybe you should do a sherri and impose a self ban until your grades pick up. It extreme but might help

John
02-19-2012, 11:39 PM
i might wind up selling everything and just leaving until the summer.

zxzero
02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
i might wind up selling everything and just leaving until the summer.

Yea, that might be the best and full sure way tbh.

What is this J_L_K rules you. thing, I have seen it on a couple peoples siggys now xD

John
02-19-2012, 11:49 PM
jlk is a sneaky guy:P

Chookity
02-21-2012, 02:38 PM
I kinda had the same problem in high school and when I first started uni. Wish I could say that one day I found a magic fix for it, but I didn't. I crashed and burned and pretty much hit the bottom (started as an honor student in HS and ended up failing some stuff in uni)...after that, I kinda freaked out for a while and then got everything back in order. I think I needed to fail hardcore in order to realize that I really really really didn't want to fail.

SmileYaDead
02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I had the same problem in high school and it's been pretty much the same in uni. I get everything done, but I've never given my 100%, I've always pulled everything through. Sucks really, yet again I'm glad.

You should try and change your daily routine, especially about your meds. Make it a 20 minute run or even longer, you'll feel better afterwards and you'll be improving your stamina and health. Since you spend a lot of time sitting, every kind of exercise is good. I've tried to engage myself with various activities, choir singing and folk dancing for example. You'll have a way to spend your evenings and you'll meet new people as well. Be open to things. Change takes time, but if you're willing to change, it is faster. Find your interests and you'll find others, who like the same things.

Slasher
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Stop being here :D Spend more time studying in a calm place whithout anything to disturb you (like computer, television, cellphone...) Do your work before the day you need to hand it. Don't postpone. Start studying for your exams as soon as you have the dates. Just 15-30 per day is better than 3h in a row.

SmileYaDead
02-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh, yeah, NEVER POSTPONE ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING. Been smacked in the face bigtime since december for postponing stuff, not even school stuff, but other things. PROCRASTINATION is the worst thing to do. Avoid it at any cost.