PDA

View Full Version : possibly a stupid question from a mac user

donkeydick
07-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm currently using old greasemonkey stuff from reddit from awhile back. I'm interested in some programs that I see here but I've tried a few and the darn stuff is only meant for windows. Anything fun for macbook pro 2011?

thanks!

j03
07-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm currently using old greasemonkey stuff from reddit from awhile back. I'm interested in some programs that I see here but I've tried a few and the darn stuff is only meant for windows. Anything fun for macbook pro 2011?

thanks!

Hey there, you can get Parallels on your Mac which allows you to run Windows, to run our programs. :)

donkeydick
07-15-2015, 06:35 PM
a quick google shows me it's $79?? are there any free software?

j03
07-15-2015, 06:52 PM
a quick google shows me it's $79?? are there any free software?

Torrent sites are your friend. :) Just make sure you check the comments to see if it's a virus or if it works well.

donkeydick
07-16-2015, 08:21 AM
hmmmm looks like it'll have to wait then... I'm living at my job which prevents torrents :/ maybe in a few months. Thanks, infamous joe!

dividend
07-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Parallels is amazing, but for free programs, you can't go wrong with VirtualBox. You'll need to buy a Windows License Key, however. Definitely worth it, though! Look into BootCamp as well; not too sure about all of the details, but I know it will help you install Windows on your Mac!

Kiowatitan
01-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Parallels is amazing, but for free programs, you can't go wrong with VirtualBox. You'll need to buy a Windows License Key, however. Definitely worth it, though! Look into BootCamp as well; not too sure about all of the details, but I know it will help you install Windows on your Mac!

Yes, as dividend has pointed out, dual-booting Windows with Boot Camp is a great option.

I run Windows 10 on a separate partition and Boot Camp handles everything very well.

I would highly recommend this as an option as I ran into many issues with earlier versions of Parallels Desktop.
... Not to say, however, that the software has not been improved by now. :)

wishlistben
02-14-2016, 04:10 PM
I am an experienced mac user (Or was up until i got a new computer for christmas this year) and i found that the best way to go if you want to run windows stuff, is to dual boot with bootcamp. Parallels is laggy and annoying. #Bootcamp is the way to go!