PDA

View Full Version : Any of you folks use raspberry pi's?

raithi
07-02-2015, 10:30 AM
How many of you guys use raspberry pi's and for what functions? I personally love them and use them for all kinds of shit. I mean... how can you not love a $20 computer on a single pcb :)

I just want to get a feel if anyone else uses this technology, and I can draw up some pretty cool guides on some of the things I use them for.

dividend
07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
I recently got one, there are so many things you can do with them! I struck up a conversation on the train to LA with a new father who told me about how he used them to build remote control toys for his son.

raithi
07-02-2015, 03:40 PM
A few years ago I got this super paranoia about prying eyes in to what I do on the internet and became super obsessed with security and anonymity. I don't even trust paid vpn's not to keep logs, because alot of them do, and they always crumple under law enforcement pressure. One of the things I like to do with a pi is turn one into a dedicated vpn with no logs on an open node wireless connection and just hide it somewhere lol. You never have to pay for a vpn service again. Just the cash up front for the pi and wireless dongle.

I've made up quite a few of them. I took a trip out to texas last year to deliver a broken scanning electron microscope and pick up a new one, and I hid a few at libraries along the way (both public and college libraries) and they are still active today :)

Its a neat method I use to tie into my overall anonymity scheme with tor and proxychains. But for most folks its just a neat method to never have to pay for vpn service again.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Although I must admit doing that is hit or miss, I nearly wasted one due to lack of proper planning. I put it on a wireless router that wasn't a static ip, and assigned dhcp... so as soon as the power kicked off, the router reset and it no longer worked. Fortunately I stashed it local so I could retrieve it, but worst case scenario I would only be out like $35. I've since improved it allowing to scan and auto connect to dhcp addresses within a specified range

JordBarb
07-05-2015, 02:48 AM
A few years ago I got this super paranoia about prying eyes in to what I do on the internet and became super obsessed with security and anonymity. I don't even trust paid vpn's not to keep logs, because alot of them do, and they always crumple under law enforcement pressure. One of the things I like to do with a pi is turn one into a dedicated vpn with no logs on an open node wireless connection and just hide it somewhere lol. You never have to pay for a vpn service again. Just the cash up front for the pi and wireless dongle.

I've made up quite a few of them. I took a trip out to texas last year to deliver a broken scanning electron microscope and pick up a new one, and I hid a few at libraries along the way (both public and college libraries) and they are still active today :)

Its a neat method I use to tie into my overall anonymity scheme with tor and proxychains. But for most folks its just a neat method to never have to pay for vpn service again.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Although I must admit doing that is hit or miss, I nearly wasted one due to lack of proper planning. I put it on a wireless router that wasn't a static ip, and assigned dhcp... so as soon as the power kicked off, the router reset and it no longer worked. Fortunately I stashed it local so I could retrieve it, but worst case scenario I would only be out like $35. I've since improved it allowing to scan and auto connect to dhcp addresses within a specified range

Sounds a lot like this. :)

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

raithi
07-05-2015, 08:54 PM
oh for wireless I use alpha b/g/n NH and NHA models, you can set them to a higher tx power than is allowed by the fcc, and with a simple bi-pole antenna you make an omni-directional signal to a bi-directional and you can squeeze about the same distance out of it