PDA

View Full Version : Suicide : is it ever justifiable?

Slasher
02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Do you agree that suicide can ever be a justifiable option?

Remember debate rules before posting, such as : no flaming/harassment, no spam, post sources and
minimum of 3-5 sentences per reply.
AND BE RESPECTFUL TOWARDS THE OPINION OF OTHERS

In my opinion, suicide is a terrible act. I don't think it is either courageous or cowardly to want an end to pain: I don't think that a lot of people could want their life to stop if they are happy.

I_royalty_I
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't think it could be described as courageous no matter how you look at it.
I could see it being cowardly in the sense that you gave up on the world, you gave up on yourself, and are taking the easy way out.

But with that said, sometimes the "easy way out", is really the hard way out; sometimes it might seem like it's the only way out.

If you are contemplating suicide then there are definitely some underlying problems that you should really open up and talk with people about. Maybe you think nobody cares, because nobody really knows.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with all the suicide in the news lately. I mean, yeah I can definitely understand all the pain that people are subjected to, but if you look on the other side of that coin, there are an equal amount of people on your side who are trying to help you out; you just have to listen and filter out all the hatred. =\

Bailey
02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Speaking from experience my uncle was getting divorced and rather than live he jumped out of my aunts vehicle while driving over a bridge in new orleans and jumped off. My father was never the same after that. I don't think most people realize that it may end their suffering by ending their life but it is destroying everyone else's around you. I think it is a cowards way out. I have suffered with depression for many years and never once have i thought about suicide because I would never do that to the people that I love and care about. There are people who can help, you are never alone and there is ALWAYS someone that has it worst than you.
On another note, my sister about 2 years ago tried to kill herself by swallowing a bottle of tylenol pm over a boy who I shit you not "while he was high on mushrooms saw the woman of his dreams and it wasn't my sister" so he broke up with her and she couldn't live anymore, needless to say the guy found out about it and called the police and they found her in time but she did a lot of damage to her liver and once she got help she is thankful everyday she is alive and has said on numerous occasions how stupid it was what she tried to do. so before you go down that road, get help, you never know and it can't hurt to try.

Bettser
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
To be honest, this board shouldn't even be a discussion. Its not right for a forum. Im saying this because some people may have personal feelings about, or been greatly affected by it.

I know someone who took their life because they indeed had no options left, and nothing else was working (schizophrenia). I don't think a sane person would take their life if they felt like they had options left.

Slasher
02-16-2012, 07:42 PM
To be honest, this board shouldn't even be a discussion. Its not right for a forum. Im saying this because some people may have personal feelings about, or been greatly affected by it.

I know someone who took their life because they indeed had no options left, and nothing else was working (schizophrenia). I don't think a sane person would take their life if they felt like they had options left.

I don't know. Many debates here can affect a lot of people anywhere. Like abortion, gay marriage, death sentence, euthanasia... Some people here are gay and are very ashamed that some others are agains't them getting married or having children.

Every people can have their point of view about suicide. We can't just say we'll not talk about anything that could affect people. Someone could find a forum talking about suicide and decide or not to read it.

Bettser
02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't know. Many debates here can affect a lot of people anywhere. Like abortion, gay marriage, death sentence, euthanasia... Some people here are gay and are very ashamed that some others are agains't them getting married or having children.

Every people can have their point of view about suicide. We can't just say we'll not talk about anything that could affect people. Someone could find a forum talking about suicide and decide or not to read it.

I know. I dont expect anything to be done. Just giving my opinion on it.

Inq
02-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Bettser

My first reaction was the same. However, there is no harm in debating the subject, as long as the discussion is kept appropiate. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread, all the same.

Just a message to everyone: please PM me if you have any personal concerns about anything that is discussed here. That goes for anything in the Debate Zone, not limited to this thread.

Edit: Cleaned up the thread title and original statement for due appropriateness. This is a sensitive subject, so please treat it in a sensitive manner.

Kristin
02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
A good friend and colleague of mine committed suicide almost 3 years ago. It was absolutely devastating, not only for me but for his other friends and family. Ever since I've had a strong view against suicide.

I believe that suicide is the absolute most selfish thing someone could ever do. There are so many options and there is always help you can get! I don't think a lot of people realize that suicide hurts everyone around you, especially your family. It always makes me so sad when I hear of someone committing suicide. And I despise bullies for driving so many young kids to suicide more than ever lately.

IndigoSunset
02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I'd like to start by stating a couple of things:
1) I have tried to kill myself in the past and ended up in hospital for a couple of days
2) I'm therefore likely to become a little OTT at times in my posts, I'd be grateful if someone could PM me if you think I'm heading too far that way and I'll try and correct it.
3) I'll doubtless end up sounding like I'm trying to speak for all people who have tried to/have successfully/have thought about committing suicide but that isn't my intention- people are all different, we reason differently and my feelings at that time won't be the same as someone else in that position.
4) Part of my coping with stuff like this is to make light of it in a dark-humoured/facetious way, if that offends anyone please let me know and I'll try and rephrase.

So basically just a few pre-emptive apologies/warnings if I get a little too involved :P

I would agree entirely with the idea of suicide being a terrible act. Obviously, in an ideal world, no-one would want to kill themself.

I'd like to challenge the idea that suicide is the 'easy way out'. There is nothing easy about the decision that life isn't worth living. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that it's a conscious decision to make. For me it was a growing sense that I had to die, I didn't ever decide that it would be a good thing, or a better thing even. Just a necessity. Because to me, and it seems to be fairly widely accepted, suicide is not about making the decision that you don't want to keep fighting. I'm a subscriber to the view that: "Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain." Therefore, any discussion about whether or not it is courageous or whether it's cowardly is wrong. It is neither of those things.

I believe that suicide is the absolute most selfish thing someone could ever do. There are so many options and there is always help you can get! I don't think a lot of people realize that suicide hurts everyone around you, especially your family.
I'm sorry for your loss.
What do you do when you've sought help and it's either not been there or not helped? What do you do when every day it's a struggle even to open your eyes and get out of bed? When the faint flame of hope has been extinguished, to your mind at least? And for me at least, I knew that it would hurt others. I knew that but still couldn't stop myself from doing it. Because at that point, you hurt too much to think logically, to reason rationally. All my mind could focus on was relieving the intense pain that no-one else could see.

Kristin
02-16-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.
What do you do when you've sought help and it's either not been there or not helped? What do you do when every day it's a struggle even to open your eyes and get out of bed? When the faint flame of hope has been extinguished, to your mind at least? And for me at least, I knew that it would hurt others. I knew that but still couldn't stop myself from doing it. Because at that point, you hurt too much to think logically, to reason rationally. All my mind could focus on was relieving the intense pain that no-one else could see.
To be honest, it breaks my heart when I hear about people who've sought help and cried out but have been ignored. It just kills me that either people don't care or they don't "want to think about it".
I honestly can't answer your question because I've never been there. I always try to be on alert for people who might be hurting and do my very best to be empathetic and helpful. My husband struggles with severe depression and attempted suicide (before we met), and I understand that sometimes suicide seems like the only option. I'm really really glad that you're still here! I'm always happy to see suicide survivors, and my heart goes out to you. Its really frustrating that no one was willing to listen and help you though.

Slasher
02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
A good friend and colleague of mine committed suicide almost 3 years ago. It was absolutely devastating, not only for me but for his other friends and family. Ever since I've had a strong view against suicide.

I believe that suicide is the absolute most selfish thing someone could ever do. There are so many options and there is always help you can get! I don't think a lot of people realize that suicide hurts everyone around you, especially your family. It always makes me so sad when I hear of someone committing suicide. And I despise bullies for driving so many young kids to suicide more than ever lately.

I'm very sorry for your lost.

I agree that suicide is one of the most selfish thing that you can do. I'm more thinking about how the person who commit suicide feels. Who never ever just had a small thought about ending his life? When pain is so hard you can't think about anything else. YES someone would always find you an arguement about how any options could be better. But, when someone suicide, it's because they didn't choose to wait to see, to try. It's because this was enough. I thought many times about ending my life, when I went through hard time. I never really tryed to kill myself. During certain years, I wasn't thinking about my family, friends and all persons that could be affected by my death. My only thoughts were about myselfpain.

Strangly, I on day dreamed about my little brother commiting suicide. Then I really realized how could my absence could affect people close to me and even people just around. But maybe some people doesn't have anything left. Or in many case they THINK that nobody cares about them. They think talking to people won't help.

I'm sure one day I'll think about suicide again. I will probably see the other options, but not really want to go for them.

I totally understand why anyone can be against suicide, but I can maybe see the point of view of people who did choose to end their live.

And I didn't meant to hurt anyone by my debate's title. I didn't meant to be rude or to demean this act. Sorry if you felt attacked. :uncomfortableness:

Ryan~
02-16-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm going to try and say anything without coming off as ignorant or offensive. Obviously I'm no expert....but:

If you feel you have to end your own life because your current life is "so bad". Look at what you DO have, as compared to those who have nothing. Boyfriend broke up with you? Oh well, you don't need him.
What I'm saying is...nothing is EVER EVER EVER bad enough to take your own life. You can ALWAYS call someone or tell the authorities if someone else is making you want to harm yourself.

this goes for cutting, also.

Bettser
02-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm going to try and say anything without coming off as ignorant or offensive. Obviously I'm no expert....but:

If you feel you have to end your own life because your current life is "so bad". Look at what you DO have, as compared to those who have nothing. Boyfriend broke up with you? Oh well, you don't need him.
What I'm saying is...nothing is EVER EVER EVER bad enough to take your own life. You can ALWAYS call someone or tell the authorities if someone else is making you want to harm yourself.

this goes for cutting, also.

This is where the fine line between a cry for help/attention and no options comes into play.

Ryan~
02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
There is ALWAYS an option. Suicide is NEVER the option though. I'm going to leave this, though :P I don't like the debate forum. I don't like to argue. But, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Ronith
02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
This is taken from another forum I frequent, but well worth the read:

As some know, my dad passed away back in August. He actually committed suicide. And let me tell you one thing. My father was FAR from being a selfish person, in fact, it was never about him, including him taking his life. He would pull his shirt off his back for anyone, including a stranger.

Was it a surprise to everyone, yes, did it hurt? It was the worst day of my life so far. Nothing will feel like when I had to open my door and had to answer to the officer If I knew Charlie Wensel and upon answering him I seen his eyes and heart sink to the floor when he had to tell me my father passed away. When I found it how he died, it all made sense to me and I wasn't mad at my dad.

He was an extremely smart man. He always had a reason for his actions. He had this planned out for awhile. It got to a point where my brother and I had to laugh at how planned he had everything. He left behind clues that only my brother and I would understand because he knew the police would be in his house. He was a private guy and didn't like anyone going through his personal belongings. The things he left behind the investigators didn't understand at all, we just smiled and told them they'd have to know him. Basically he hid some keys and a note under a rock for us.

He left his notes to us in his gun safe. He knew they would have loved to get in their to see what he had. But anyways, his notes were extremely detailed and had everything laid out for us. He told us not to worry about him, he will be alright. He had GPS way points loaded, maps and pictures for us marked with coordinates and directions to the spot he wanted his ashes. He loved the outdoors. Thinking back the other weeks before his suicide a lot of the little things came back, like conversations with him, him showing us things, etc. He was trying to condition us for what was going to happen.

He wasn't taken the easy way out. He loved my grandkids A LOT and he even mentioned it in his letter. He just felt like his life would have been more of a burden in the upcoming years than a benefit. He was laid off from work back in 09 from construction. Never got hired back. They ended up hiring new, young workers for 1/2 his wage. He had to live off of his retirements for 3 years. At the age of 58, where do you go after that? He unemployment ran out (I found over 300 documented places he put applications in during that time). He was an old tough man, pride got to him, he never wanted help from people. I was taking him what ever I could even though I was struggling with money. I'd have to hide it in his house for him to take it.

Anyways, he didn't want to have to depend on family members to help him and I can't hold that against him... that doesn't sound selfish to me at all. He also LOVED the out doors and lived outside. He lived on the mountains in a beautiful home 10 feet off a mountain stream. He was getting old and he was having some health issues. He would never tell us about it though. I NEVER remember my dad going to the doctors in my life. He never talked about things that he was going through. If you were a friend, his private life didn't exist. Anyways, he was also having health issues and I'm sure that he couldn't imagine himself being an old guy that has a hard time getting around that will... depend on people helping him. Again, it was about not being a burden on other people. Doesn't sound selfish.

In the past 4 years he got to do a lot of things. (Skit dive license, pilot license, live on the mountains. I think he truly felt that he got to live his life to the best he could and was able to accomplish a lot of the things he wanted. Once you have reached that, what else did he have to go for? Yes he had his family but he understood that his own kids were now adults with their own issues, he didn't want to cause any more.

So I came to terms with his death very quickly because he was such a respectful guy and I know what he did wasn't to hurt anyone, it's just what he felt would be best for him and everyone else.

Before he left he cleaned the house (rented), spotless. He wrote down everything in the note that wasn't his so we couldn't take it from the house. He paid off all his bills before going. He put the rest of the money he had in a jar and told us to leave it there. He told us to leave the custom shed there for the landlord to cover the rent he owed. He left 2 extra pans of water on the dog kennels (he LOVED his dogs) to make sure they were fine until someone was able to get there. He then walked 2 miles up the road next to the river that was pointing to the location he wanted his ashes spread (open mountain view) and put one clean shot through his heart.

He was very strict about gun safety and always made sure we were the same when handling guns. He only put 1 round in the chamber and positioned himself against a rock to make sure the bullet didn't travel anywhere beyond his body. The only thing he had in his pocket was phone numbers for me , my brother and a few family and friends, his license and is CCW permit.

Sorry, but nothing about this was selfish. He was looking out for everyone and everything.

He had everything sorted in envelopes for us. From his birth certificates, to titles to his boats/car/truck already signed over to us to certain requests with items. The guy was a boss to be honest. He went out with pride and I respect that and him and would never look at him any different than I ever did because he was the same damn way when he went out...

Bettser
02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
There is ALWAYS an option. Suicide is NEVER the option though. I'm going to leave this, though :P I don't like the debate forum. I don't like to argue. But, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Have you been there? And what if the person has other things influencing that we could not imagine?

Slasher
02-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Suicide IS an option, because some people choosed to end their live. Is it the BEST in YOUR opinion? Maybe not.
I think that we, humans, are machines that are made to balance good and bad things before taking a decision. Are we always taking the best decision? Depends of the consequences and the person's point of view. =/

Kristin
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
In response to what Ronith posted, that story is a VERY VERY rare case. A good majority of people who commit suicide don't do all that planning and stuff.
But I'm not judging.

I'm gonna leave too, I don't like debating about sensitive things. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that. :)

Leet
02-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Meh. As someone who was actually very suicidal for several years to the point that I ended up landing in the emergency room and got shipped off to this rehab place, I'd like to comment that it's really demeaning to say that suicide is a cowardly act. However, I think it's also a very grey area that can never be generalized because every case is different and it's such a complex issue.

To those who think suicide is a coward's decision, I question whether or not you think it is it brave that people who hate the world so much end up living each day -- and it only cowardly when they decide not to live anymore? Or is it cowardly that people are even considering suicide?

I think suicide is a calculated choice. People with famous political careers who killed themselves after some scandal -- was that a mark of weak moral character? Maybe. But is it your position to judge/care? Not really. Do you think Hitler was a coward? I think it was in his best interests to end it while he had a chance instead of getting shipped to a terrible prison for life.

As these examples demonstrate, each case is different. You cannot generalize suicide to be cowardly or brave in its entirety. Additionally, it does raise a good question -- is it ever justifiable? I think this thread is a good topic but people who brand suicide with a certain nature are detracting from the point of the topic. Furthermore, I don't think people are looking broadly enough and are instead choosing to look at only certain types of suicides. How about a high ranking soldier captured in war who knows that he will be tortured until he leaks some intelligence? I would consider it an honor and an act of bravery if he chooses to commit suicide after prolonged torture so that there is a 100% chance he doesn't leak intel.

Would you consider him a coward? If so, would it be perhaps you thought he should have toughed out the torture? So he's supposed to have the character and integrity to withstand torture? That's a rather rare virtue in my opinion.

Justifiable implies that it is in your best interests, or for a greater good, or for some other reason that tends to be a "justifying" one.

02-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Well yeah, look at it in this position:

Would you rather be tortured for a very long time knowing it will happen and hurt and die anyways in the process (not suicide), or just kill yourself?

Cara
02-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I believe it is cowardly. It is someone completely shutting down, and giving up on everything completely. I know things can be hard to deal with, i'm not blind to the things some people may have to go through. But to take your own life is just a cowards way out. I have had those thoughts when I was 15-17. I occasionaly get them still, the urge to do it can get unbearable some days, but I would never do it.

1. I'd regret it. It may feel like it's what you want, but if they had a second chance 90% would probably not redo what they did.
2. It's worth it to live your life, and fight through your problems.
3. It's just dumb. Talk to someone, get some help, anything.

But that's just me.

Chelle
02-17-2012, 10:05 PM
As someone who has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and developed severe depression because of it, I can say that when I attempted suicide it definitely felt cowardly. I was seeing multiple counselors, on meds, and doing everything possible, yet it still wasn't helping improve things. The nightmares made it so I literally could not sleep and I ended up being hospitalized. When I was on IV meds that forced me to sleep, yes I'd sleep, but as soon as I was sent home I would go back to not sleeping and throwing up anything I ate. I did not see any way out, my life was absolute hell and I felt as though I was being tortured (sleep deprivation for days on end *is* a method of interrogation torture, albeit an "illegal" method). Anyways, long story short, I attempted suicide, but felt like shit about it the whole time.

tcas4200
02-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Unless you're pulling an Armageddon where somehow your suicide is somehow beneficial to the well being of humans, I'm against it.

loucamente
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
I think that death does not solve the problems. Not believe in something after death. But because you let people here sad and alone.

Crayon
02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
imo, suicide isn't "the easy way out". Maybe in some situations like when your options are kill yourself OR spend the rest of your life in jail.., but why would choosing to commit suicide be considered easy? It's not easy to be that sad. It's not easy to just give up on life. Not that I think it's courageous, I just don't think it's "easy".
Suicide usually takes A lot of thought.

Slasher
02-23-2012, 05:50 PM
My opinion is that humans are usually taking the options they find more easy or with the most advantages. Suicide can seems very sweet in face of the horrible pain. When you are in a deep dark tunnel, you can hardly see light.

Some could say blabla wait and see, don't be coward, don't be selfish... But when you consider that you have nothing else to loose and that you are sure that your death wouldn't hurt anyone, why not thinking about suicide?

Would someone's life has been better if he/she would have waited one day, one week, one year? Maybe, but we can't know and always suppose.

thequeen
04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Personally, I think it is the people who choose to disregard the thoughts of the suicidal person that are the true selfish ones.

You want the person to be alive and well because you can't bear the thought of losing them and are more worried about your own feelings and weaknesses rather than respecting their troubles and inner conflicts.
If you see them being tortured (in my opinion, mental torture is equivalent to physical torture), than how could you not disregard your own perceptions and preconceptions and opinions, and trust that they are coming from a logical place (rather than call them weak, selfish, cowardly,etc..)

I am generalizing, as many people are. I just want to see the feelings I am invoking in those who have placed those negative labels on suicidal people. Because they have invoked negative feelings in me. (Just to put it out there, I have depression, and see myself as a very logical person, not weak at all. And honestly, is it better to be weak/cowardly and smart enough to end your suffering prematurely, or be brave and stupid, and live out your life, suffering or not, and have the same end result. I realize that last sentence is seen as taboo. But just because it is taboo, doesn't mean it's wrong. Who is to say what's right and wrong anyway? Where are the rules to a perfect reality written down? That is, in the end, rich or poor, happy or sad, whether you found the cure for cancer or wasted away doing nothing, we all end up as worm food.)

caonima
04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Suicide may be a cowardly act but you have to think of those that really have no choice left to live.
They may be burdened with debts, no loved-ones, and the only viable for them is to end it before it gets worse.
Of course, I argue that suicide should be wrong as we humans are supposedly to help each other.
that is the trait that separates us from animals.

jenlanes
06-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Suicide is completely cowardly and utterly selfish. With that being said, it's their lives to live and their lives to take. If you've been suffering from depression most of your life and have taken every possible step to try to create a better mindset for yourself but still there is no end in sight or if you are suffering from an illness or disease that is incurable and it causes your quality of life to be unbearable, I would understand.
I am in no way condoning the act, but it should be something that one needs to think *very long and very hard* about before even considering it at all.

Nath
06-28-2012, 06:31 AM
It's your life, do what you want to do with it to some extents.

However if you have friends/family that will miss you and are willing to help you it could be quite selfish.

If you're terminally ill or have a condition that you know will deteriorate and leave you unable to have the quality of life you want then I'm I think it should again be a legal choice to make.

Xanice
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
While I'm not an avid believer of christianity's stake in suicide, which is that it's a sin as you commit "murder" I don't particularly agree with it. Ultimately, I believe that the choice is yours to make. Back in old Japan, seppuku was not considered suicide, but considered redeeming one's own life of lost honor. These people did it knowing full well that it would kill them (obviously) and did it because it brought balance to their life, likely because the idea of a samurai was to never lose in battle. The punishment for losing and living was to be seppuku. It would motivate them to never lose (of course though, if they did :x....)

While I don't agree with suicide in general, I feel that people have misconstrued alot about it. Alot of people seems to use suicide as a method to escape depression is definately the worst of possibilities. There's such a thing as sacrificing yourself as a martyr, and another such thing as not understanding the value of your own life. Arguably, 'suicide bombers' (again while a tough subject, and not one that I agree with at all) ultimately viewed themselves as martyrs for a greater goal, whether it be a crusade or just promises to keep their families safe. This day and age though people just think about suicidal depressed people spiraling out of control as the only cases of suicide (all ones which where the victims don't comprehend the value of their own life).

Tough subject. Ultimately, I'd say not having suicide around would do more good then the latter though.

Syphon
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Speaking as someone who has suicidal thoughts and tendencies, I've thought through a ton of this shit before. Of course it's justifiable.

To those commiting suicide, it's the final gift one can give oneself. You have to remember the only people who would commit suicide are very mentally or physically ill, where they are living in suffering every day. The pain is so completely unbearable that death is the only way to make it stop. It's one's way out. Even just the thought of it - without actually performing the act - is settling; it's nice to know that there is a way out of the pain if and when it becomes too much. I know this actually helps me get through my days. Thoughts are thoughts, and a lot of the time they are only thoughts.

To people who say suicide is cowardly and selfish: How selfish are you for wanting someone to live in suffering every day, just trying to make it through the day? I hate when people say shit like that without actually knowing how difficult it really is.

Also, you have to realize that mental illnesses don't disappear. One can be doing well for a long period of time, but there is always the chance of a relapse. One lives with his or her illness for life. It doesn't ever go away completely. Shit's fuckin hard man. Scary shit.

vetgrl
06-29-2012, 12:15 PM
I have only ever justified any crime or harm this way: Does it save someone elses life? IF you are saving someone elses life. So give me a a scenario in which you saved someones life by killing yourself. (Maybe your life insurance policy will pay for you're wife's life saving surgery because you have life insurance but apparently not good health insurance, I don't know.)

The "selfish" thing is pretty much what healthy people think. Here is when its not selfish: If you are an orphan and have no friends and never talk to anyone and people would not find your body for weeks because no one would care.

If you are going to make someone cry by killing yourself, yes thats selfish. You didn't care if you make that "loved one" cry and be in despair. And I put that in quotations because I use love loosely there. That's not love.

I don't want anyone to suffer I want the sick people to get help and feel better somehow.

Syphon
06-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't want anyone to suffer I want the sick people to get help and feel better somehow.

Well that's not very helpful. People go through years of suffering, years of therapy, support groups, etc, trying to get better. It takes a lot of energy, and a lot of the time that energy just isn't there. It takes a ton of energy just to get up and shower/eat/brush teeth/etc. Just minor, basic things people take forgranted. It takes a ton of energy to constantly wear the mask of wellness. Obviously the sick don't want others to worry, ask questions, get involved. If one puts all of his or her energy into basic self-care and acting well, how much energy does one have left to work on recovery?

also I'm pretty sure suicide would nullify any kind of life insurance policy, but that's not important

vetgrl
06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
also I'm pretty sure suicide would nullify any kind of life insurance policy, but that's not important

Thats why I am saying its selfish 99% of the time. Unless there is some sort of way is saves a life too, or if there is literally no one left behind to care. I'm sure there is some rare case of that.

The question was is it EVER justifiable and I say if it ever is, its the exception, not the rule. I don't think its always or usually justifiable.

Xanice
06-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Well that's not very helpful. People go through years of suffering, years of therapy, support groups, etc, trying to get better. It takes a lot of energy, and a lot of the time that energy just isn't there. It takes a ton of energy just to get up and shower/eat/brush teeth/etc. Just minor, basic things people take forgranted. It takes a ton of energy to constantly wear the mask of wellness. Obviously the sick don't want others to worry, ask questions, get involved. If one puts all of his or her energy into basic self-care and acting well, how much energy does one have left to work on recovery?

That's a pretty dreary way to view life, and this is coming from a cynic. People aren't all happy. Don't get me wrong I do feel bad for people who are chronically depressed, since it's a downward spiral. I have a friend whom I endear like a sister that is that way. However, the magic of the human world is that there are miraculous cures not founded by pills or science. Ones that can only come from human interaction, or lifechanging events which rework one's spirituality and their views on life. Are many people with depression depressed all of their lives? Yes. Does it remain true for everyone for the rest of their lives? Horse shit. Depression is a state of mind, one which can be overcome with their own sheer will. You say it's a mental illness and that there's nothing you can do. Also bullshit. There's alot you can do about depression, if you just look for something in the world that you think is worth living for. People who would throw away their lives so easily obviously have not matured enough to find something important enough to them that keeps them motivated to keep on living, whether it be a love of their life, a utopian dream, or maybe a dream to help as many people as they can from having to repeat their mistakes, IE something like staying depressed with suicidal tendencies.

Dream big, and you'll learn that wasting the time you're given in this world by committing suicide is not worth the loss of pain. People who are put through pain learn experiences that only they can teach future generations about, and this invaluable knowledge is something that can save youthful generations to come.

Syphon
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
That's a pretty dreary way to view life, and this is coming from a cynic. People aren't all happy. Don't get me wrong I do feel bad for people who are chronically depressed, since it's a downward spiral. I have a friend whom I endear like a sister that is that way. However, the magic of the human world is that there are miraculous cures not founded by pills or science. Ones that can only come from human interaction, or lifechanging events which rework one's spirituality and their views on life. Are many people with depression depressed all of their lives? Yes. Does it remain true for everyone for the rest of their lives? Horse shit. Depression is a state of mind, one which can be overcome with their own sheer will.

Depression is an illness, whether you accept it or not. If it was so easy to overcome, no one would be depressed. No one would have to work so fucking hard to make it to tomorrow.
I also never said people are always depressed. I said the illness is never 100% gone. There is always a chance of relapse, always a chance to fall back down. It's the tools you learn to cope and to intervene when you notice mood going down.

You say it's a mental illness and that there's nothing you can do. Also bullshit. There's alot you can do about depression, if you just look for something in the world that you think is worth living for. People who would throw away their lives so easily obviously have not matured enough to find something important enough to them that keeps them motivated to keep on living, whether it be a love of their life, a utopian dream, or maybe a dream to help as many people as they can from having to repeat their mistakes, IE something like staying depressed with suicidal tendencies.

Depression isn't the only mental illness. Not only people suffering from depression think about suicide as a viable option. Anxiety disorders, psychosis, etc. There's a lot more than mood disorders around.
I also never said there's nothing you can do about having a mental illness. You're making up my words.

the only reason I'm still alive is because of my sister. I would be long gone without her.

You think it's a dreary way to look at life, then k.
I'm speaking as someone with a mood and anxiety disorder, and I want my fucking life back. If it was as easy as you seem to think it is, I would be fine. But instead I'm scared to leave my house, scared to talk to people or make phone calls. I have zero energy and motivation. I rarely eat, rarely shower, sleep way more than is healthy. I'm constantly scared of myself, scared of my responses to emotional situations, overly angry, always frustrated. I've been anxious about everything since I was 13, depressed since I was 15. I'm almost 20 now. I'm a little tired of this shit. Pisses me the fuck off, and people think I'm just fucking lazy.

oops guess i outed myself w/e

davebold370
07-04-2012, 01:43 AM
I lost a sister due to this. It's very painful for the family, but I can understand both ends. When you are dealing with chemical depression it's hard to break free.

Suicide is not a cowards way out. It's just a way out. We all have choices to make. How we escape our depressions is up to us, but we have to make a choice. The deeper into depression we go, the harder it is to make that choice. The more numb we become. In the end though, the choice is to stay here and work through the numb or to feel the final pain of death?

A three year old boy told it best to me while i was working at walmart, "Your reality is controlled by the intent of your change." We choose to change. If our intent is strong enough, we will escape. If it is not, we will fall into either a slow suicide or a quick one.

Tay
07-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Suicide isn't a choice. Suicide is the result of a mental illness or a heartbreak or a deep longing for not wanting to be on this planet any day. It is NOT selfish and it is NOT cowardly. Mainly those who say so are those who have never experienced such a feeling. To wake up and feel like not a person in the world would care if you died? To feel that your friends have abandoned you? To feel as though nothing even matters, not even you, and so what is the point to keep on going? I've had suicidal thoughts and I am currently trying to shake off anorexia nervosa and the feelings of absolutely hating myself. I cannot stand to even look in the mirror sometimes. It sickens me. I am absolutely disgusting.

I do not choose to believe or think this way. Believe me if I could wake up in love with myself and thinking I'm hot shit, I would choose that. It's simply how I am. My brother also suffers from anorexia nervosa and still struggles with the feelings of going nowhere in life (though he is a 4.0 College student on the Deans list) and fears the thought of having nobody. The fact my parents constantly bring him down weighs a ton on him, as well. You cannot imagine how difficult it is to stay awake in fear that your brother is going to overdose purposely on diet pills or kill himself in the night...all the while you yourself are fighting the very same thoughts.

Is suicide selfish? No. You DO think about others. I always think about others when thinking about my death. I think about how much better it would be without me as a nuisance, a reminder, and the world would be a brighter place.

And that's all I have to say.

Xanice
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Suicide isn't a choice. Suicide is the result of a mental illness or a heartbreak or a deep longing for not wanting to be on this planet any day. It is NOT selfish and it is NOT cowardly. Mainly those who say so are those who have never experienced such a feeling. To wake up and feel like not a person in the world would care if you died? To feel that your friends have abandoned you? To feel as though nothing even matters, not even you, and so what is the point to keep on going? I've had suicidal thoughts and I am currently trying to shake off anorexia nervosa and the feelings of absolutely hating myself. I cannot stand to even look in the mirror sometimes. It sickens me. I am absolutely disgusting.

I do not choose to believe or think this way. Believe me if I could wake up in love with myself and thinking I'm hot shit, I would choose that. It's simply how I am. My brother also suffers from anorexia nervosa and still struggles with the feelings of going nowhere in life (though he is a 4.0 College student on the Deans list) and fears the thought of having nobody. The fact my parents constantly bring him down weighs a ton on him, as well. You cannot imagine how difficult it is to stay awake in fear that your brother is going to overdose purposely on diet pills or kill himself in the night...all the while you yourself are fighting the very same thoughts.

Is suicide selfish? No. You DO think about others. I always think about others when thinking about my death. I think about how much better it would be without me as a nuisance, a reminder, and the world would be a brighter place.

And that's all I have to say.

While I am not one of the people who used the coined phrase of "coward" for suicide and take a rather neutral approach to the situation, I would like you to know that the statement bolded above is 100% false 8) And hopefully, one day you will come to realize that!

DarkByte
07-04-2012, 08:03 PM
My brother killed himself when he was 18 it was a traumatic time and none of my family where ever the same again. However he left no note and it was very sudden , we have never known if he did commit suicide or took a accidental overdose as he did suffer with headaches alot. I do not think this is the case however but thats just speculation we can never be sure and listening to all my family members playing out the possible storys for months after his death really annoyed me.

Suicide can never be jusified , the impact it has on other people messes there life up to. For instance , I found my brother dead when he commited suicide I was 14 at the time you can imagine how this messed with my head. So I had a long time of school , I did not want to face people (my brother was only 18 himself alot of people at school knew him). By the time I was ready to go back I had missed so much school I was told I could never get a decent gsce grade as 60% of it was course work over the year and 40% was actual exams. So I got no qualifications from school , pretty much had no reason to finish either just stayed home and thats when I learnt to program as a kind of release from it all.

Don't know if that changes anyone's view this is just my experience of it , there are instances such as chronic illness or huge suffering where I change my view however.

NexLegend
08-21-2012, 02:30 PM
On the main topic, yes it can be justifiable. Some people live in such terrible conditions in the world, that suicide is a lot better option than continuing. Sure you can try and improve your life, but imagine being a 30 year old high school drop out with no home. I'd rather die on the streets than live on my knees.

deathcraze
08-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Having gone through depression myself, I will say that it is definitely justifiable.

Some people say it's a selfish act.
But what can be more selfish than a family member/etc forcing someone to continue to 'live' a life that is constant suffering, just because you don't want them to leave you?

Kentngo
09-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I believe there are many times where suicide is courageous, for example, the self-immolation of the Buddhist monk in Saigon that led to the end of the oppression of Buddhists under a new Christian government leadership.

Suicide is the easy way out; a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Those are the main lines against suicide, but suicide is also a strong statement that can be used in political agendas. Ghandi once fast himself near death in order to stop British laws which unfairly affected the people of India. Had he continued for another week, he would have certainly died. The threat of suicide and political backlash saved his people from many massacres and stopped a potential war that India was starting against Britain, a war that they would have surely lost.

For those who commit it, they do so because they no longer see any solution better than suicide. And, when there really are no other solutions, for what reason should a person stay alive?

winston_tiu
10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Suicide only happens when a person who is severely depressed, wants to end his pain then takes his/her life away. I my opinion suicide is not a justifiable option, there are always other means so that you can get help, ending life because of depression is just too cheap. God has a plan, if we love and respect God then we will not break his will. In conclusion this all depends on the situation, there are too many factors to consider.

redfeeniks
10-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Suicide doesn't mean you have to be depressed and are too coward to stand up again, Suicide can be justifiable like its been happening so much in the movies, a guy gets himself killed to save others, a mother save her child giving her life things like that are suicide too.

However suicide just because to quit on life/depressed state isn't justifiable everyone can have a reason to live.. you'll eventually die whats the point of dying by your own decision unless you wanna die like that, not like you're gonna experience anything after death generally speaking no offense to people's beliefs.

april
10-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Honestly, to me, I see it as if a person even thought about suicide (much less, attempted & succeeded with it) the world is better off without them. Why? Because the world is no place for a weak person - as heartless as this sounds, life and aspects of life are tough, it's not about to get easier. I know what it's like to want to kill yourself or live with things that tear you apart, but it's about moving past them and making the best out of what you have.

Sellinglikealways
10-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Sorry to interrupt but anyone hear about Amanda Todd?

PrincessParker
10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Wow, it's interesting to see everyones opinions on this. I may not agree with some of what was said, but I do see where everyone is coming from.

I had a friend, who literally was so messed up, that I truly thought that suicide was the only thing in this world that would make him happy. That being said, I never told him that, because clearly the selfish part of me wanted to keep him around always. If he had actually gone through with it, I would never consider him a coward. I thought he was the strongest person in the world for waking up every morning hating himself, and his life, but trying to put on a brave face for the rest of the world. There was no "getting over it" for him. When you have that many issues, no amount of drugs, (aside from maybe a relaxant for elephants, that wouldn't solve anything, just make you not feel a single thing for the rest of your life) can make things better.

No matter the reasoning, some people are born a little different than most. Between the constant reminder that they're different by peers/bullies/parents/teachers/etc, and the lonliness and hopelessness; it's hard to see the point in living. Suicide is probably the least selfish action, when that person truly cannot be cured. Asking them to stick around... That's the only selfish part. How do you ask/guilt someone who can't stand being in their own body/mind, to stay in this world where there is clearly nothing for them here, to stay living solely because YOU would miss them? If someone is really thinking about suicide, and it's not just a spur of the moment thing... Think about all the thoughts they have to endure every day:
"How am I going to do it?" - They literally spend hours and hours thinking about how they're going to end their own life. I don't care who you are, that isn't a walk in the park to think about.
"Who am I going to affect?" - In some regard, some of you guys are right by saying they don't think of the people they're leaving behind. It's not that they're not thinking about how you'll feel, it's they feel like no one would miss them, if they were gone. If someone felt like they had tons of people who cared for them and loved them, and felt wanted and secure... Why would they want to end their life in the first place? (Minus the few crazy people who just do it for some form of attention.) Usually, it's the lonely feelings that overwhelm them, as to why they want to just slip away...
"What's it like to die?"
"Will things be better for me, if I go for the big sleep? Or is there actually a God, and will I burn in Hell for killing myself? If by chance there is Heaven and Hell, will it be worse than living here?"
The list goes on and on!

Suicide for most people isn't an easy solution. I don't think you're giving the victims enough credit. Being over-powered by your own thoughts... That's a scary situation. Being on countless drugs so you're a living zombie, just so you can pretend you're thinking normal thoughts like everyone else... That's a horrible life to live. Leaving everything YOU care about, regardless of if you feel they care back... Can't be an easy choice.

------

All that being said, I really don't think that ALL the cases of suicide were to the extreme explained up there. For most people, depression starts with something small, that snowballs. There is no way to just "get over it", if you're actually depressed. You can't just wake up one morning no longer upset by the things that depressed you the day before. With help, and the proper guidance, though, it can be over-come before it gets to the point of no return. But its in times of depression when people need the most help from others, even if they're too stubborn to admit it. When you have a strong friend/family base, it's easy to get the help you so desperately need... But put yourself in someones shoes who has no one. Who is faced everyday with just people who look down on them, or tease them, or bully them, or make their life harder than it needs to be. When you are in such a low spot, and you need someone to be that light at the end of the tunnel, but no one comes... don't expect them to make it out of the tunnel.

winston_tiu
10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Suicide doesn't mean you have to be depressed and are too coward to stand up again, Suicide can be justifiable like its been happening so much in the movies, a guy gets himself killed to save others, a mother save her child giving her life things like that are suicide too.

However suicide just because to quit on life/depressed state isn't justifiable everyone can have a reason to live.. you'll eventually die whats the point of dying by your own decision unless you wanna die like that, not like you're gonna experience anything after death generally speaking no offense to people's beliefs.

I believe that dying out of sacrifice is not suicide, as you know those who sacrifice do not know if they will live after the sacrifice has been done. For example a mother will give her life for her child, but sometimes with an unknown intervention they both live. Just to clarify, dying because of sacrifice might be considered an accident, it is also considered being brave and being a hero. While most suicide are considered cowardly.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Wow, it's interesting to see everyones opinions on this. I may not agree with some of what was said, but I do see where everyone is coming from.

I had a friend, who literally was so messed up, that I truly thought that suicide was the only thing in this world that would make him happy. That being said, I never told him that, because clearly the selfish part of me wanted to keep him around always. If he had actually gone through with it, I would never consider him a coward. I thought he was the strongest person in the world for waking up every morning hating himself, and his life, but trying to put on a brave face for the rest of the world. There was no "getting over it" for him. When you have that many issues, no amount of drugs, (aside from maybe a relaxant for elephants, that wouldn't solve anything, just make you not feel a single thing for the rest of your life) can make things better.

No matter the reasoning, some people are born a little different than most. Between the constant reminder that they're different by peers/bullies/parents/teachers/etc, and the lonliness and hopelessness; it's hard to see the point in living. Suicide is probably the least selfish action, when that person truly cannot be cured. Asking them to stick around... That's the only selfish part. How do you ask/guilt someone who can't stand being in their own body/mind, to stay in this world where there is clearly nothing for them here, to stay living solely because YOU would miss them? If someone is really thinking about suicide, and it's not just a spur of the moment thing... Think about all the thoughts they have to endure every day:
"How am I going to do it?" - They literally spend hours and hours thinking about how they're going to end their own life. I don't care who you are, that isn't a walk in the park to think about.
"Who am I going to affect?" - In some regard, some of you guys are right by saying they don't think of the people they're leaving behind. It's not that they're not thinking about how you'll feel, it's they feel like no one would miss them, if they were gone. If someone felt like they had tons of people who cared for them and loved them, and felt wanted and secure... Why would they want to end their life in the first place? (Minus the few crazy people who just do it for some form of attention.) Usually, it's the lonely feelings that overwhelm them, as to why they want to just slip away...
"What's it like to die?"
"Will things be better for me, if I go for the big sleep? Or is there actually a God, and will I burn in Hell for killing myself? If by chance there is Heaven and Hell, will it be worse than living here?"
The list goes on and on!

Suicide for most people isn't an easy solution. I don't think you're giving the victims enough credit. Being over-powered by your own thoughts... That's a scary situation. Being on countless drugs so you're a living zombie, just so you can pretend you're thinking normal thoughts like everyone else... That's a horrible life to live. Leaving everything YOU care about, regardless of if you feel they care back... Can't be an easy choice.

------

All that being said, I really don't think that ALL the cases of suicide were to the extreme explained up there. For most people, depression starts with something small, that snowballs. There is no way to just "get over it", if you're actually depressed. You can't just wake up one morning no longer upset by the things that depressed you the day before. With help, and the proper guidance, though, it can be over-come before it gets to the point of no return. But its in times of depression when people need the most help from others, even if they're too stubborn to admit it. When you have a strong friend/family base, it's easy to get the help you so desperately need... But put yourself in someones shoes who has no one. Who is faced everyday with just people who look down on them, or tease them, or bully them, or make their life harder than it needs to be. When you are in such a low spot, and you need someone to be that light at the end of the tunnel, but no one comes... don't expect them to make it out of the tunnel.

I would suggest that you try giving your friend an alternative, perhaps a more powerful force than that of drugs/therapy/family. I myself believe that my love for God is enough for me not to commit suicide. Perhaps you can persuade your friend's heart and slowly but surely things will change for him. I believe that God loves everyone whether you are loved/hated, all that is needed is a good persuasion of the heart. Good luck...

tofusquares
11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I can think of a lot of reasons why someone would want to commit suicide. However, I don't think it's justifiable at all. There's always other ways out. It makes me sad to think that someone would want to commit suicide.

Vixen
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no.

Love12
12-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Sometimes people do not see a other way out than suicide.. In the last few weeks I heard on the news that 3 people killed themselves because they were bullied so bad that they just wanted everything to quit with suicide.. Bullies are hard to stop, and sometimes you can't go to another school.. If you are going to do suicide because your boyfriend broke up with you then I do not think it's justifiable..

ShadowCreature
12-31-2012, 07:52 AM
I think in some instances it is like if your suffering but for bullying i dont think it is, These people need to seek help and help themselves, I know a few people that have offed themselves, i dont think it makes them weak or anything and sometimes the mental pain is the worst but these people need to find help and stop reading shit on facebook and what not

kate
12-31-2012, 07:45 PM
yes. would i ever do it? i don't know. not in my current situation. but i could be suffering immensely one day. i've thought about it a lot, and there were times i wanted to just stop the consciousness, but i never moved my body in line with these feelings (to grab a knife or jump in front a bus or what have you) because i'd known enough goodness to be hopeful that i could experience those things again and i didn't truly want to die

the fact that these people are dead justifies it. what do you mean by justify though exactly? to the people that are alive? it's true that our life is worthless without other people to give us value, but often people who do this are so disconnected with everyone that they have no one, or at least feel that way. the saddest part is that the people left behind end up having a better life because of their retrospective regard for other people's suffering and new outlook on the fragility of our lives, or they slip into their own darkness because they knew the person and understood their issues while they were living and still couldn't help in some way

to me, it's pointless to argue whether is justifiable or not. bottom line is that: we need a better attitude towards community. isolation is what drives depression and volatility. i don't think depression on it's own is an illness and should be treated as such. if you know someone who is depressed, and you want to help them, do everything you can to encourage them to make good decisions in their social lives, in terms of diet and exercise, all that good stuff. if you're depressed (as i have been, and still struggle with not to fall into it's pattern again because it's easier than pushing) you have to understand that others do not have much sympathy for you, so don't depend on it to feel better. do what you know you have to do. yes it's hard, but it's better than killing yourself and living in misery. it really is.

of course, there are people who cannot be helped or help themselves. i don't think you can define who these people are or aren't, but things like genetic or incurable illnesses and environment can make it that much more difficult to create stability and positivity from nothing.

i could go on forever but yeah

janikanicolepi
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I know this is some what off topic, but I will eventually tie it back to why I believe suicide can be "right" ....under certain condition.

It is true that if a person is healthy (whether it's physical or mental), the idea of suicide should never incur in their mind. However, if the person has been diagnose as terminally ill (incurable), they should be granted the right for assisting suicide. However if a person is only considering suicide because something such as a criticism comment from their peers then they shouldn't.

My aunt who was passed away from pancreatic cancer actually requested an "assist" suicide of injection from the hospital and was denied. She had chemo and radiation treatment, but it didn't work. The pain and suffering that she went through, the vomiting, and nausea was unbearable....and this is word coming from a third party perspective. Every time I visit her, she was in constant agony. I know this is going to sound unrealistic, but I believe the hospital denied her right to suicide, so they can keep billing her. She passed away uncomfortably, and left a heavy medical bill for my cousin, who recently filed for a medical bankruptcy.

My close friend who has severe anxiety issues (Often known as a panic attack; condition like heavy breath, aura, delusion, etc) and was on multiple psych medications includes (topamax, xanax, and couple more which I can't remember off the top of my head) When she was on these medication, it kept her calm, and in check. Before she was diagnose, she would often tell me she has nausea, stomach cramps, migraine, and fear that people are chasing her even though she is in a study room. She also had suicidal thoughts, but with the medications, major of these psychological problems were surpress, but there are still the side effect from the drug. I believe she shouldn't suicide, but require psychological counseling but also a good friend who is willing to lend her an ear to listen to her problems. Under a very server case where the condition shouldn't be solve, she should be granted the right to assist suicide.

If people who are consider attempting suicide because of verbal criticism from their peers or other, then I don't believe they should suicide. We all face certain criticism in our lives, but it is how we handle, and dealt with the criticism ultimately decides who we are.

ratero
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
The suicide is the major act of cowardice

Toasted
01-25-2013, 07:08 PM
My mother shot herself in the head on July 9th, 2011.

She suffered through Rectal, Cervical, and Skin Cancer over a ten-year period, was diagnosed with MS and Manic Depression. had an abusive husband (my dad), and resorted to drinking/popping her pain meds for happiness.

Yesterday (the 24th) was her birthday; she would have been 49.

She was a smart and beautiful woman with goals for herself and a self-confidence like no other-- she knew she was gorgeous.

She took her life that day because she must've looked in the mirror and finally decided she had had enough.

Because of all the cancer and MS, she was weak and couldn't enjoy simple things anymore; tanning, riding her motorcycle, or being outside for too long when the sun was strong.
She lost sight in her left eye every few days from the MS, as well as her legs.
She had extremely short-term memory due to the lesions in her brain; they multiplied daily. She forgot who she was in the middle of the night and cried for hours when she realized who I was.
The MS limited her mobility, so she gained 100lbs. The shot she had to take every other day for the disease also made the weight come faster; another 70lbs.

I believe that sometimes, suicide is the only way out of a situation that will never be mended.
Her decision was made based on the following question:

"Do I end it now, or let it get worse and kill me anyway?"

For those of you who aren't aware; MS is an incurable disease.
The shot she was injecting into herself was an attempt at making the symptoms fade as much as possible.
However, it caused 24/7 flu-like symptoms, so she was always feeling like shit. :/

I miss my mother, she was my best and only true friend in life.
However, I respect her decision in not letting the disease and cancers win.
For those who believe in reincarnation, I like to think maybe she came back as a beautiful tree somewhere warm and always sunny.
For those who are Christian, I like to think she sits high in the Heavens on a cloud, watching down on my every move.
For those who do not have a religion, such as myself, I like to think she is finally at peace, and is no longer suffering.

RIP, Dianne.

Master Shake
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM
I don't think that suicide is ever justifiable. I mean it's just an easy way out. Why show someone your that weak, if something is bothering you that bad to commit suicide change it or get away from it

Beann
03-08-2013, 12:37 AM
I used to think that no one should ever need to commit suicide, no matter how hard things are and perhaps I still think that today to a high degree. I can't say it's justifiable but if I had to pick either or then I would say it's not; although I say that loosely. Probably because mentality is a very powerful thing. What other people say or do to help or try to pull people out of the dark is one thing, but how the person feels about it is another. I do believe that the brain has the power to allow us to sometimes act and think in a way that we don't consciously understand. Which is why I think our thoughts can be so good to us but also be so destructive. There's no drugs, no cure, no solution to ones thoughts or feelings and suicide is just another one of mentality's cruel abuse of power.

budsmokah
03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
There is a story of a girl who had a family that had some money issues. They found help from another family and made an agreement. The agreement was for the daughter of the family in need, would be obligated to marry the son of the helping family. While this was going on between the two families, This girl had met someone. A guy that she started to like a lot. The man that she was obligated to marry, She likes him too, but started to like him less. Her family found out that she was seeing someone else. They talked to her saying that she must marry her obligated husband because they agreed to and repeatedly said how his family gave them money to help out their business. She grew rebellious and frustration with extreme pressure to do what her family needs her to do. Along with feelings that she has for this other guy.
She has one last talk with the guy she really likes and says good bye for the last time. She commits suicide.

If you think about her situation, she was like a human puppet. Someone could control her and decided to kill her.

Base on true stories from around the world were some families have spouses prepared for you to marry.

raxacore
03-29-2013, 02:40 PM
In serious cases, yes in my opinion i mean say if your mental health is slowly deteriorating i would rather be without body then without mind. Or if someone is in so much pain and is going to die anyway. This is just my opinion but everyones is different

aznboy1997
03-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Well, in my opinion, getting to this world already isn't easy; no matter how bleak the situation might be, there will always be light at the end of the tunnel. Suicide is just a permanent and quick way to avoid the problem instead of facing the problem itself. But then I read the plethora of examples on this thread, and I realized that there ARE exceptions. However, those exceptions are extreme and are understandable. In fact, I would have probably done the same if I were in that situation. It's just that I'm particularly against suicide because of bullying or anything like that.

xb1nh0
04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
In my family there are many cases of suicide: grandfather, aunt, and I lost count of how many cousins.
In my opinion, nothing can explain why, for that is the worst situation where the person is.Today there are so many ways to aid psychic, many remedies for depression, a person only becomes a suicide if it helps even unintentionally.
Now, with an objective response: No.
OBS: I was never depressed, then not what goes on in the minds of people with this problem.

xintervine
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
I think that as observers, we would never fully understand the mindset that they were in when they were contemplating (and commiting) suicide. You really have to be at your lowest point in your life - so low that you do not see any hope or escape from the problems that are overshadowing your life.

Although a lot of people say that it's a cowardly escape from reality, we ourselves don't know what their version of reality was. Can you imagine if you were stuck in living hell everyday - hating yourself, enduring pain or emotional and mental agony everyday? Probably not.

I'm not encouraging suicide, but I'm saying that we shouldn't judge the people who did it.

xb1nh0
04-05-2013, 10:18 PM
xintervine You picked the right spot of the thing, judge has nothing to do. We do not know the causes, motives, reasons and circumstances that led to something like this.

Sylveon
04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
I kind of felt like I had to answer this question, given we lost someone in my family to suicide. My gut reaction is to say, "Absolutely not!", because my uncle left behind a little boy who misses him every day. However, I'm not sure he was in the right place to be a parent, or husband for that matter. I don't know what it takes for someone to get to that point. I don't know how it feels to wake up and not feel like living another day is worth fighting for. But for those that do feel such pain, my heart goes out to them, though that probably isn't worth much. At the end of the day, we do what we feel we have to, even though others may not understand. So I guess what I'm saying is, it's a part of life I've come to accept and understand is very real.

Alice
04-14-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm going to use an example of a teenage girl who took her own life this week after having been raped by four boys who were supposedly her 'friends' and then tormented and bullied by her schoolmates for a year and a half because of it. She felt she had no one, the police did nothing to help her and she was basically abandoned. I am not saying suicide is right or wrong, but in this case this innocent, brutalized 16 year old girl felt there was no other way out.
The whole situation here disgusts me. The lack of effort from the police, the fact that children are hurting children, and the fact that this is the kind of stress that teenagers now have to deal with on a daily basis.
Again, I am not going to say if suicide is justifiable for all, but I will say that if I was in this girls situation, I probably would have done the same thing.
If you want to read more about her, click here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) and here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) to see the current status of the case

Mod
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm going to use an example of a teenage girl who took her own life this week after having been raped by four boys who were supposedly her 'friends' and then tormented and bullied by her schoolmates for a year and a half because of it. She felt she had no one, the police did nothing to help her and she was basically abandoned. I am not saying suicide is right or wrong, but in this case this innocent, brutalized 16 year old girl felt there was no other way out.
The whole situation here disgusts me. The lack of effort from the police, the fact that children are hurting children, and the fact that this is the kind of stress that teenagers now have to deal with on a daily basis.
Again, I am not going to say if suicide is justifiable for all, but I will say that if I was in this girls situation, I probably would have done the same thing.
If you want to read more about her, click here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) and here ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) to see the current status of the case

That's gut wrenching and despicable.
Sometimes I think we need vigilante justice. We need a Batman. Need him to beat some heads and pound some confessions.
To do what the law won't, our fairytale-pansy Canadian judiciary.

Here I thought Maritimers (forgive me if you are one) were nice, simple people. That go fishing, hiking, leave their doors unlocked and get together with friends and family all the time.
...apparently too simple that kids resort to primal gang rape.

I will admit if I were a student at her school, in her age, I'd probably just be another bystander. I think I would be personally disturbed, but out of fear that I'd be ostracized myself for being a sympathizer, I'd do nothing, or go with the flow of others.
If it were now, I would definitely speak up; but people don't gain insight into their actions, know what's morally right/wrong, and just maturity with lesson. Just age matters.

So despite all the TV campaigns, classroom lessons devoted to these things, and public speakers, kids (teens, I should say), are and always will be dumb. They don't take things to heart and only care about themselves, and their image to others.
Things like this won't stop, it'll only get worse in future generations, catalyzed by network media like Facebook and texting. So why is our judicial system still modeled on standards from the 80s?

girl
04-14-2013, 09:37 PM

things like that do happen. but either way, i dont think people should ever resort to suicide. it's pretty selfish if you have a family that still cares about you.
i feel awful for that girl and her family, obviously no one should ever have to go through that, but there are other options like moving out of the city, starting fresh, therapy etc.

Matt~
04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
things like that do happen. but either way, i dont think people should ever resort to suicide. it's pretty selfish if you have a family that still cares about you.
i feel awful for that girl and her family, obviously no one should ever have to go through that, but there are other options like moving out of the city, starting fresh, therapy etc.

Moving doesn't always help. Take Amanda Todd for example. She moved schools (more than once if I remember correctly) and people kept finding out and they continued to taunt and torment her. Her life was hell.

girl
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Moving doesn't always help. Take Amanda Todd for example. She moved schools (more than once if I remember correctly) and people kept finding out and they continued to taunt and torment her. Her life was hell.

I think it could work if you moved far enough away and deleted your fb + contact with people from that school/city, which, I don't believe Amanda did. A big hassle but a lot better than being bullied to death.

ritzwin
04-16-2013, 02:55 PM

Really what it comes down to is do you feel you have the right to tell someone else how to live, (or not live) their life. In today's society, everyone feels they have a right to have an input on how others live their lives. Gay marriage, drug laws, suicide laws, safety regulations, etc.

I'm afraid I don't have the hubris to tell someone how to live or not live their life.

girl
04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Really what it comes down to is do you feel you have the right to tell someone else how to live, (or not live) their life. In today's society, everyone feels they have a right to have an input on how others live their lives. Gay marriage, drug laws, suicide laws, safety regulations, etc.

I'm afraid I don't have the hubris to tell someone how to live or not live their life.

i think that's true when referring to anything they do with their lives while still alive, but i feel like it should be a universal opinion that people should work things out and avoid suicide, because life does get better ^__^

ritzwin
04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
i think that's true when referring to anything they do with their lives while still alive, but i feel like it should be a universal opinion that people should work things out and avoid suicide, because life does get better ^__^

For sure, therapy is #1 in my books. Self knowledge is key to understanding depression. But a girl who's been raped and gets made fun of because of it? I don't want to live in a world where victims are made fun of, nor should she be required to.

girl
04-16-2013, 03:33 PM
For sure, therapy is #1 in my books. Self knowledge is key to understanding depression. But a girl who's been raped and gets made fun of because of it? I don't want to live in a world where victims are made fun of, nor should she be required to.

idk either way i don't think she should just give up for it. it's not like when she's 30 anyone's gonna remember. it might affect her lifestyle a lot but that's what counseling is for

ritzwin
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
idk either way i don't think she should just give up for it. it's not like when she's 30 anyone's gonna remember. it might affect her lifestyle a lot but that's what counseling is for

Of course, encouragement to stay alive is healthy. I guess the key thing that won me over in this discussion is that telling someone they need to stay alive for someone else's happiness is a form of slavery/abuse. Guilting someone into staying alive will NOT help them in any way. Can you imagine how that would feel? Your world is coming down around you, a literal nightmare. You talk about killing yourself to other people, you reach out in hopes that someone will care enough about you to help you figure it out, and pull you out of your nightmare. Someone who cares about you. Instead- all you get is people telling you that you need to stay alive for their happiness. "It would destroy your mother if you killed yourself" - Really what's being said here is that your mother's happiness comes before yours. So of course you feel WORSE for LIVING A NIGHTMARE!

Putting the victim's emotions/feelings above anything else would be step #1 imo.

girl
04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Of course, encouragement to stay alive is healthy. I guess the key thing that won me over in this discussion is that telling someone they need to stay alive for someone else's happiness is a form of slavery/abuse. Guilting someone into staying alive will NOT help them in any way. Can you imagine how that would feel? Your world is coming down around you, a literal nightmare. You talk about killing yourself to other people, you reach out in hopes that someone will care enough about you to help you figure it out, and pull you out of your nightmare. Someone who cares about you. Instead- all you get is people telling you that you need to stay alive for their happiness. "It would destroy your mother if you killed yourself" - Really what's being said here is that your mother's happiness comes before yours. So of course you feel WORSE for LIVING A NIGHTMARE!

Putting the victim's emotions/feelings above anything else would be step #1 imo.

that's true, but there are other ways of conveying that message, and encouraging them to stay alive for themselves and their future. the part about it destroying their family and people who care about them is just an add-on i guess. i still think no matter what the argument, the best thing is to give them support and encourage them to live for themselves, instead of helping them find a way out of it by like
dying
or something.

Matt~
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
I think it could work if you moved far enough away and deleted your fb + contact with people from that school/city, which, I don't believe Amanda did. A big hassle but a lot better than being bullied to death.

Amanda did. They left, she deleted her Facebook (near the end) and she didn't have friends to talk to. The man who started it contacted the kids from her school and that's how they found out.

Daenery
04-16-2013, 06:42 PM

Agreed. When someone is suffering enough that they're thinking about ending everything, I don't think that placing additional stress on them is going to help matters. They're experiencing a deeply personal suffering, and what they need is to know things will be okay for themselves, not for others. Additional stress from other people, in whatever form, is that last thing someone contemplating suicide needs. :(

Sorry to jump into this discussion, I just knew someone who had suicidal thoughts a few years back and it was a terrible thing to witness. Luckily, she's recovered and is quite content now, though c:

Pusheen
05-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, it's really hard to say. I mean, I really think that anyone is the owner of it's life (I don't belive on any religion)
But it really depends. For example, there's people that commit suicide for love, that's the worst reason why to commit suicide, since it's a thing that you can get back with another person, that can be even better than the one that broke your heart.

While, if the suicide it's for something more deep.. maybe bullying, abuse, harassment... something that makes your life misserable, and that you either are: too weak to change or just overwhealmed with the situation, that you haven't being able to easare out of your life, and you just are... always sad... depressed... a living torture... and you only find yourself as the suicide it's the option to rest. Then I guess it's somehow justificable.

Since anyway, we can't go and make a person that wants to die.. keep living. It's their chose. If they have had help, if they have made the impossible and waited years, and their only desire to be free and happy is to be dead.

Then let them do what they are wishing for.

anaraconda
05-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Call me religious, but I really don't believe in suicide. I don't really believe we have the power to take the life some greater, meta-transient being bestowed on us. Sure, we could argue on a case by case basis, but the idea itself unnerves me.

Poe
06-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Suicide is not hate the life. Suicide is an appeal to life. :C

XRBurton
06-11-2013, 04:16 PM
From me, a person that is only 19 but still has severe depression (genetics), I know what life, at its worst time is like. If people deal with that for long enough, it is ok. No one should have to feel that way.

If you want to hear my story/what it is like, just message me