PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm back at that gym grind.

Bettser
04-21-2015, 01:13 PM
I signed up for a gym membership again last week, and did the normal tests to see where I was at. They told me I was in alright shape, but I could be in better shape. I haven't gone since I got the membership because I also signed up for a personal trainer. My first day is today with that so fingers crossed. Im planning to go 4 days a week + one day with a trainer.

Supplement-wise, I'm taking a multivitamin for men, Biotin and 6 capsules of green tea extract a day. My buddy who is pretty shredded to take these. Also, I am having one cheat day a week to eat-out and drink heavily now. I've been making meals at home, and eating a lot of vegetables and even a few days in, I feel like I have more energy. I also have shitty Wallmart protein that I am taking after working out until its done, then Ill be looking for something better.

My questions are;

1) Has anyone had a personal trainer? What was your experience like? Did you see results?

2) Supplement-wise, do you recommend something else then what I listed? Open to suggestions or experiences.

3) Point me in the right direction protein/preworkout wise. I am looking to order from bodybuilding.com, but not sure what to get.

Infamous Joe , I bet you have some good information on this xD

Suggestions so far:
xpecial , Cellucor C4 Extreme (PRE) , Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (myprotein.com)

**UPDATE: First day with the trainer wasn't so bad. I almost puked after but I liked the overall workout, felt good. Looking forward to the next one.

xpecial
04-21-2015, 01:59 PM
2. Supplements - Other than multivitamins, I take fish oil and creatine
3. Preworkout - I am taking Cellucor C4 Extreme. I love it so far.
Protein - I am taking Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard(digest instantly) after my workout. And maybe throw in some casein protein(it digest slower, so its best to take it around bed time) if you are looking to make some gains.

You can usually get cheaper protein on amazon and myprotein.com

Bettser
04-21-2015, 02:01 PM
2. Supplements - Other than multivitamins, I take fish oil and creatine
3. Preworkout - I am taking Cellucor C4 Extreme. I love it so far.
Protein - I am taking Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard(digest instantly) after my workout. And maybe throw in some casein protein(it digest slower, so its best to take it around bed time) if you are looking to make some gains.

You can usually get cheaper protein on amazon and myprotein.com

What are the benefits of Fish Oil? And Creatine is something I'd definitely look into when I get into a routine.

j03
04-21-2015, 08:16 PM
6 years actively working out now, past 4 months I have been bulking (hard for me with a high metabolism) and it's going great. My strength has never been better...

My recommendations -

1) Ditch the personal trainer as soon as you can. Use the internet to find good workout routines (with detailed pics) and follow them.

2) Don't buy supplements. I used to buy protein but I even stopped doing that because it's basically a meal replacement. If you can go home and make a meal it's much better and you save yourself the money. Multi-vitamins and Biotin are okay as they are something you don't get enough of just from eating. :) I'm taking multi-vitamins almost every day, once a day with lunch. I used to take Biotin. If you find it hard to get food in your system after a workout (when you should be feeding your muscles) then I guess it's okay to be buying protein for that reason.

3) Run before and after your workout. Works wonders. Before: Helps get you pumped and ready. After: Once you're done with the heavy lifting your muscles are filled with lactic acid. Running will help flush it through your system which will help with muscle recovery. That last part is not really proven but I learned about it from being on the Track and Field team when we used to do sprints and heavy lifting.

I'll make a personal gym guide someday, maybe with pics to show before and after results.

Bettser
04-21-2015, 08:19 PM
6 years actively working out now, past 4 months I have been bulking (hard for me with a high metabolism) and it's going great. My strength has never been better...

My recommendations -

1) Ditch the personal trainer as soon as you can. Use the internet to find good workout routines (with detailed pics) and follow them.

2) Don't buy supplements. I used to buy protein but I even stopped doing that because it's basically a meal replacement. If you can go home and make a meal it's much better and you save yourself the money. Multi-vitamins and Biotin are okay as they are something you don't get enough of just from eating. :) I'm taking multi-vitamins almost every day, once a day with lunch. I used to take Biotin. If you find it hard to get food in your system after a workout (when you should be feeding your muscles) then I guess it's okay to be buying protein for that reason.

3) Run before and after your workout. Works wonders. Before: Helps get you pumped and ready. After: Once you're done with the heavy lifting your muscles are filled with lactic acid. Running will help flush it through your system which will help with muscle recovery. That last part is not really proven but I learned about it from being on the Track and Field team when we used to do sprints and heavy lifting.

I'll make a personal gym guide someday, maybe with pics to show before and after results.

The reason for the trainer is the motivation honestly. I'm not in bad shape so to get myself actually going was a struggle because I didn't feel like I had to. That was the hard part. Now that I paid money for a set amount of sessions, its hard to not get motivated to go since I spent money. That's the only reason I got one xD Plus, learning some new workouts isn't bad for me.

j03
04-21-2015, 08:27 PM
The reason for the trainer is the motivation honestly. I'm not in bad shape so to get myself actually going was a struggle because I didn't feel like I had to. That was the hard part. Now that I paid money for a set amount of sessions, its hard to not get motivated to go since I spent money. That's the only reason I got one xD Plus, learning some new workouts isn't bad for me.

True enough. I realize some people might not have the time to do their own research either so a personal trainer is definitely helpful.

04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
hey u, me and Infamous Joe can be #TeamChickenArms.

My response is almost exactly like Joe. How much did you spend on sessions?
Always hope on a cardio machine (recommended: treadmill or stair thing) for about 5 minutes. What i do atleast.

rest: also give your self 1 day rest, then go back, never take 2 straight days off

also supp wise yes, agreeded, what i take.

haiqtpi
04-21-2015, 08:39 PM
True enough. I realize some people might not have the time to do their own research either so a personal trainer is definitely helpful.

That, and also the confidence thing when restarting. I mean I have a 6 pack (not skinny boy 6 pack, hard earned haha), not particularly muscular in chest or arms though, so whenever I return to the gym, despite being "in shape," I always get a trainer for like 5 sessions to rebuild my confidence in the setting after a 3-5 month hiatus every fall/winter

Bettser
04-21-2015, 08:45 PM
5252 , I got a discount and a student discount so they weren't too bad and I got like a bonus 10 or something. Each session is 25 minutes apparently, but the guy I'm with said he doesn't stick to that 25 minutes unless he has someone after me or something. Like today was a hour and a half but counted as one session.

04-21-2015, 08:47 PM
5252 , I got a discount and a student discount so they weren't too bad and I got like a bonus 10 or something. Each session is 25 minutes apparently, but the guy I'm with said he doesn't stick to that 25 minutes unless he has someone after me or something. Like today was a hour and a half but counted as one session.
I don't see how 25 minutes can do anything for you. I spend about 15-20 minutes doing one single workout. :/ true though
they offer 30 and 55 minute sessions here

i did a 30 min session once and it felt useless. Didn't want to do it but lol

j03
04-21-2015, 08:48 PM
If you wanna get big there are 3 main things to do:

1) Workout hard
2) Eat a lot
3) Sleep enough

Bettser
04-21-2015, 08:51 PM
I don't see how 25 minutes can do anything for you. I spend about 15-20 minutes doing one single workout. :/ true though
they offer 30 and 55 minute sessions here

i did a 30 min session once and it felt useless. Didn't want to do it but lol

I almost puked after lol. It was definitely a solid workout but it was like a hour and a half so yea. He mostly pointed out what I needed to work out more, and gave me exercises/reps to work up to until next time.

Drizzy
04-21-2015, 10:14 PM
my workout plans include eating kfc and drinking coke

Clear
04-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Well, Im not a huge gym rat or anything like that - but I did the P90x program and had noticeable and favorable results - was gettin' dat stomach. Was really difficult at first...got a bit easier as time went on but never really got easier. lmao
My ex also did it and lost a considerable amount of weight. Went from chubby to slim.

Honestly cant remember all the vitamins we were taking at the time, except fish oil and I think B12 or something that made our pee glow like neon. Was strange but kind of cool.
Nothing prework out but we would have muscle milk afterward.

Diet was also integral. Lots of lean proteins, and water.