PDA

View Full Version : Legalize it: for or against the removal of marijuana from the controlled substances act

Ph0enix
02-26-2015, 08:22 PM
lol prepare for a wall of text - this is probably one of the things I am most passionate about, politically and personally speaking.

I am quite surprised there is nothing in this section on legalizing marijuana. I personally happen to be a big fan of weed for many reasons, only one of which is "I like to get high". Obviously I like it, but the medicinal benefits it provides for me far outweigh the negatives - mostly because I can't find any!

I have alot of health problems. The two main issues I have are a heartburn condition that literally causes unceasing heartburn, I have it 24/7. I have forgotten what life without heartburn was like. The other is depression/anxiety. I would say that marijuana helps me the most with my anxiety. I do NOT like to take anxiety medicines, as I feel like a zombie on them. They make me tired and fatigued and I cannot for the life of me figure out why people would want to take them to get high, but that's just me I guess. I have bad anxiety attacks sometimes, and while I can do my best to allay the more severe symptoms with things like breathing and calming exercises, they only work for a minute at most. Weed is my anxiety medication. I can have one for hours that refuses to go away, but then I smoke and it's gone. I'm not a zombie, I am still completely functional, and my anxiety is gone. I should also throw in there that it is a much better "high" than any anxiety meds I have tried. As for the heartburn, it's more of a way to relax all of the very tense muscles in my chest/abdomen/shoulders. As long as I don't have that, I can deal with the heartburn if the weed doesn't take care of it.

Aside from it's health benefits, and trust me there is a staggering list of conditions it can help with, it could give our economy a great boost. Of course I don't want to pay taxes, but taxing marijuana with the amount of people that smoke it in this country, we could make an astronomical amount of money from it. Money that could go to schools, fighting REAL crimes, rebuilding desolate areas.. there are so many things we could do. In it's FIRST day, the dispensary that opened in Colorado made 5 million dollars, then an impressive 14 million in it's first month! That's 2 million dollars in one month alone in taxes. 1.9 million dollars of that money was put into Colorado's education system.

Prescription pill abuse went down dramatically in all of the states with laws allowing the recreational use of marijuana, DUI percentage went down, so many jobs were opened up to people, the crime rate has dramatically decreased. We could free up so many cells in jails across the country, saving us millions in tax dollars for feeding and caring for inmates who are in jail for posession or selling. They don't need to be in there.

Best of all the production of hemp could save us so much money, creating much less expensive ways to make clothing, paper products, foods, and so many other things we use every day, that currently cost alot of money to make, or destroy habitable forests or other areas.

Let me sum up most of the negative arguments people will have about marijuana:

It is immoral to legalize something that is considered a controlled substance.
Weed is addictive and can destroy your life.
It is a gateway drug and more people will do heavier things.
More children will start to smoke marijuana if it is legal.
Weed is bad for you.
Marijuana makes people lazy, fat, and unmotivated.

Let me explain why these are stupid.
We should never base any kind of argument off of morality, because every single person in this world has their own set of morals. For years the government has thrown shade on marijuana, making it look bad for you, or putting out false advertisements of people picking up a gun and shooting themselves when they're high. I really don't think I need to explain why this is stupid.

Weed is not in any way addictive, I smoke it every day normally but I haven't had it in three days now and I am completely fine. Sure, i'm sitting here wishing I had it but it's not a physical craving, I am not withdrawing. I can go without marijuana forever if I wanted, without issue.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity and confidence that weed is not a gateway drug. I have no desire to do anything besides smoke.

I cannot refute or back this argument. Frankly, no one knows if more people, or children, will start doing it.

Weed is not in any way bad for you, actually. People have said for many years that it kills brain cells, but they have done studies on this and have actually proven that very wrong. Smoking anything can negatively impact your lungs, so I guess that would be the only negative. There is literally not a single death in history from marijuana.

Every person in the world will handle weed differently. It is completely up to the person how they act, how they handle it financially, what they get done while under the influence of the drug. So really, this is a very stupid argument.

So, based on personal experience, lack thereof, any information you may have gleaned from the internet, or even this post, how do you feel about it? Are you for or against legalizing marijuana?

rachel
02-26-2015, 08:35 PM
There is a board on legalizing marijuana already, among other drugs.
Not that there can't be two, b'yeah. :$

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Mama Bear
02-26-2015, 09:23 PM
Every person in the world will handle weed differently. It is completely up to the person how they act, how they handle it financially, what they get done while under the influence of the drug. So really, this is a very stupid argument.

I won't repeat my reasons I've already cited on the thread rachel posted, however I would like to point out that you refute the reasons against marijuana with your own personal experiences, yet then say the above statement. Doesn't that in itself suggest, by your own words, that whilst the negative consequences may not be applicable to your situation, it is entirely possible for them to happen to another? Because while your personal experiences may suggest that everything on pot is fine and dandy like sugar candy, other people might have, as you said, "handle[d] weed differently"; my personal experiences are the opposite of yours. Of your points, numbers 2, 3, 5 and 6 have all been true in my experiences.

Weed is not in any way addictive, I smoke it every day normally but I haven't had it in three days now and I am completely fine. Sure, i'm sitting here wishing I had it but it's not a physical craving, I am not withdrawing. I can go without marijuana forever if I wanted, without issue.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity and confidence that weed is not a gateway drug. I have no desire to do anything besides smoke.
These might be true for you, but as everyone handles things differently you cannot definitively state that neither of these things are true for others.

I agree with you that everyone handles things differently, but you contradict this when saying that marijuana is a good thing and to think otherwise is stupid.

Misha
02-26-2015, 09:56 PM
As a smoker on seldom occasions, I would like to see it legalized. Not only because I enjoy it from time to time, but I see the negative effect it has on people around me when they get "busted" with small-large amounts of it and are put into the system.

Ok, it's a plant. Yes, it impairs your judgement. No, you should not be driving on it whether you're a nascar driver or a fed ex driver or an old lady when you're sober. It shouldn't be done. Sure, you think you can do it just fine, but in reality, your reflexes and judgment ARE impaired and you aren't driving to the best of your true abilities. You may not believe you're a risk to the people around you but you are. Stop doing it. Don't do it. I have a DWI on my record, and I was "invincible" when I was doing it. I could have cops follow me for miles without even second guessing my sobriety. Should I have done it, no. I could have gotten in an accident, I could have hurt myself or someone around me whether they be in the passenger seat, another vehicle, or a pedestrian. I would personally want to commit suicide if I were to hurt someone while driving impaired (whether it be on alcohol, marijuana, coke, meth, heroin, or fucking bath salts, whatever) and that's saying something as my dad committed suicide and it's the most selfish thing someone could ever do.

Ok I'm off topic sort of.

I feel as though the decriminalization would reap great benefits if done in a controlled environment. Don't allow just anyone to grow and harvest the crop as this would cause people experimenting with strains/additives/etc. and could make a potentially harmful man-made drug. If it were to be in a controlled setting, I think it could be a good thing. I mean, look at Colorado; they have made a shit ton of tax money off of the decriminalization.

I am, an avid drinker, however; and I'd just like to point out that I would much rather see marijuana legalized and alcohol prohibited again. Alcohol has little to no benefits. Sure the "glass of wine a day" thing could be true as far as digestive health or whatever the bullshit they spew at you is, but in reality, not many people are having a glass of wine while reading a book at bed time like Katherine Heigl movies. Get real.

The benefits of marijuana FAR outweigh the risks. There'd be street dealers out of business, there'd be a ton of different linens/paper/and if I remember correctly, you can even fuel vehicles from the oil of the plants.

For fuck's sake it's a no brainer. I'm done ranting for now, I could go on with this subject for days upon days.

Ph0enix
02-26-2015, 10:13 PM
The point I was making when I said that everyone handles it differently is that you can't say that is going to happen to everyone. Every person is responsible for themselves and their actions and blaming the drug itself is a very false argument. It may be true for others, but that is entirely to do with them and how they handle it and just blaming the drug is stupid.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

As a smoker on seldom occasions, I would like to see it legalized. Not only because I enjoy it from time to time, but I see the negative effect it has on people around me when they get "busted" with small-large amounts of it and are put into the system.

Ok, it's a plant. Yes, it impairs your judgement. No, you should not be driving on it whether you're a nascar driver or a fed ex driver or an old lady when you're sober. It shouldn't be done. Sure, you think you can do it just fine, but in reality, your reflexes and judgment ARE impaired and you aren't driving to the best of your true abilities. You may not believe you're a risk to the people around you but you are. Stop doing it. Don't do it. I have a DWI on my record, and I was "invincible" when I was doing it. I could have cops follow me for miles without even second guessing my sobriety. Should I have done it, no. I could have gotten in an accident, I could have hurt myself or someone around me whether they be in the passenger seat, another vehicle, or a pedestrian. I would personally want to commit suicide if I were to hurt someone while driving impaired (whether it be on alcohol, marijuana, coke, meth, heroin, or fucking bath salts, whatever) and that's saying something as my dad committed suicide and it's the most selfish thing someone could ever do.

Ok I'm off topic sort of.

I feel as though the decriminalization would reap great benefits if done in a controlled environment. Don't allow just anyone to grow and harvest the crop as this would cause people experimenting with strains/additives/etc. and could make a potentially harmful man-made drug. If it were to be in a controlled setting, I think it could be a good thing. I mean, look at Colorado; they have made a shit ton of tax money off of the decriminalization.

I am, an avid drinker, however; and I'd just like to point out that I would much rather see marijuana legalized and alcohol prohibited again. Alcohol has little to no benefits. Sure the "glass of wine a day" thing could be true as far as digestive health or whatever the bullshit they spew at you is, but in reality, not many people are having a glass of wine while reading a book at bed time like Katherine Heigl movies. Get real.

The benefits of marijuana FAR outweigh the risks. There'd be street dealers out of business, there'd be a ton of different linens/paper/and if I remember correctly, you can even fuel vehicles from the oil of the plants.

For fuck's sake it's a no brainer. I'm done ranting for now, I could go on with this subject for days upon days.

Yes, agreed with pretty much this entire post lol.

Misha
02-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately, when you get into the business side other than medical marijuana, you can't find anything that will be profitable for the big businesses, which is why it will never happen.

Ph0enix
02-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Or if you think about all the money the government would be losing in the process. If it doesn't benefit them, they won't do it. Too much money to be made from busts -___-

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

There is a board on legalizing marijuana already, among other drugs.
Not that there can't be two, b'yeah. :$

Thanks, Rachel, I must have missed it. Sorry 'bout that :p

learningtoneopet1
02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
I think that people who say weed has no-very few risks aren't aware of the problems it can cause. Lung cancer, secondhand smoke, all that nasty shit. Sure, tobacco comes with all of that too, but people who don't smoke generally don't like being around that. It's just not a pleasant thing at all. The smell that both tobacco and weed cause, the smoke that's going into people's lungs who don't smoke, etc. Not to mention relationship-wise it's an instant turn off for me if someone smokes anything. I have a brother who has serious asthma problems. Any time he walks by someone smoking something, he goes into an attack and immediately needs an inhaler or he quite literally can't breathe. There's tons of people out there who have problems like that. I have terrible allergies and will cough/sneeze for a while after passing someone smoking anything. It's just selfish to be smoking anything in public. If it did get legalized, I would want it to be highly regulated. You can't openly drink in public so if it gets legalized, at least have the courtesy to do it away from where people are at. No one has the right to expose non-smokers to anything like that. It's just disrespectful.

Mama Bear
02-27-2015, 01:15 AM
The point I was making when I said that everyone handles it differently is that you can't say that is going to happen to everyone. Every person is responsible for themselves and their actions and blaming the drug itself is a very false argument. It may be true for others, but that is entirely to do with them and how they handle it and just blaming the drug is stupid.

You blame the person for choosing to take a substance that alters the way they might otherwise have handled a situation; like alcohol, it impairs your judgement and thus your ability to make the best choices. If the drug affects your ability to make your normal choices, how it is not partially responsible for what that person does? It's ok, Mr Meth-head. The drug isn't to blame for your actions. You are, for putting yourself in the situation where you might have an adverse reaction and hurt people. Allowing everything and just blaming the person for how they handle it isn't logical. If I make a cancer cure that kills 50% of people who take it, should I blame the people for handling it badly? I hyperbolise to make a point.

As I said in the other thread, legitimate medical use is fine with me. My objection is to your use of high modality in your original post. It is worded in a sense that lends it absolute authority, because it is true for you. It seems to suggest that anyone who has a less-than-positive reaction is to blame themselves, rather than looking at anything else.

Weed is not in any way addictive For you. For others, including much of my family, it is.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity and confidence that weed is not a gateway drug For you. But you can't, with 100% sincerity and confidence, say that it won't open other people up to the idea of other drugs. This one is illegal and wasn't so bad. Maybe ice will be the same way.

I'm happy that you have not had a negative reaction with your smoking. I truly am, as I'd hate for others to experience what I have. I am just very concerned that other people, particularly younger readers, might see your post as a blanket truth, rather than an individual one. Just because I'm able to handle juggling chainsaws doesn't mean I'm going to put a post saying "Juggling chainsaws is super easy. I've never had an injury whilst doing it, I say with 100% sincerity. It's fun, great exercise and improves your hand-eye coordination."

learningtoneopet1
02-27-2015, 02:07 AM
For you. But you can't, with 100% sincerity and confidence, say that it won't open other people up to the idea of other drugs. This one is illegal and wasn't so bad. Maybe ice will be the same way.

I'm happy that you have not had a negative reaction with your smoking. I truly am, as I'd hate for others to experience what I have. I am just very concerned that other people, particularly younger readers, might see your post as a blanket truth, rather than an individual one. Just because I'm able to handle juggling chainsaws doesn't mean I'm going to put a post saying "Juggling chainsaws is super easy. I've never had an injury whilst doing it, I say with 100% sincerity. It's fun, great exercise and improves your hand-eye coordination."

Going off of this, I've known way too many people who start with weed and move to harder stuff. Anyone who has lived on campus at a college can tell how people change once they start smoking. Multiple people in my dorm had never drank or done any drugs before. They decided to smoke weed at a party one day and they've slowly changed since that day. They started out just smoking once every few weeks, but they've started getting high every few days now. These people then started to do adderall because they couldn't keep their grades up anymore since they were out getting high when they could've been studying. A few of them have tried coke now too. Who knows what they'll go to next? The pot high isn't as exciting for people when they start to do it regularly, so they go to different drugs to get a new high.

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 08:37 AM
bacchus, again, I was trying to say that is going to be the case with people no matter what because people are idiots. You cannot blame the drug for people's actions.

Also, no sorry but weed is not addictive. It has been proven in study after study and I will not argue further on this because science.

Mama Bear
02-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Giving people greater access to more drugs is only enabling the risks for bad consequences though. You agreed regarding driving high; doesn't that suggest that you recognise it impairs people? People are idiots- do we really need to give them another way to endanger themselves and others

"Because science" is not really much in way of sources. Here are some papers you might like to read; the findings of the second study, published in 2010, were that the rate of marijuana dependance is higher than that of alcohol.
Here is a summary of some of the findings from a report published in the June 5 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine:

*Despite the popular belief that the marijuana is not addicting, about 9 percent of those who experiment with the drug, and up to 50 percent who use it every day, will become addicted.

*Smoking marijuana in the teen years is linked with brain abnormalities, such as fewer neural fibers in certain brain areas, decreased brain activity and a smaller hippocampus, an area important for learning and memory.

*People who use marijuana are at greater risk of abusing other drugs later in life, suggesting that marijuana maybe a "gateway drug." However, it could be that people who are more susceptible to drug use in general tend to start with marijuana because it is more accessible, and then move on to other drugs.

*In people who are genetically at risk for schizophrenia, smoking marijuana is linked with an increased risk of developing the condition. However, its possible factors other than marijuana are responsible for the link.

*A person's risk of a car accident doubles if that individual drives shortly after smoking marijuana.

Most studies agree on a minimum 9% addiction rate, even if you disregard the higher findings of the 2010 study. So please don't try to tell me that it's not addictive and "proven in study after study". Not only do I have the anecdotal evidence of my father, who used 5+ times a day every single day of my life, whom I begged to quit but whom I never once knew clean. I also have been able to provide some data to support my position. Whither, you may not wish to argue further on it, but I am just as adamant on my position and am supported by peer-reviewed evidence.

Ruizu
02-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Making weed legal in this country would be a mistake. Sure if it DID become legal, the government could tax the stuff and get a ton of money from it. I don't mind people smoking weed, I used to be really against it because the way people used to act with it, until I had a bf who used to smoke bongs and stuff.

For some unknown reason I seem to get nosebleeds if people smoke weed around me, and the smell itself is terrible in my opinion. I wouldn't want people smoking it around their children as well.

I have nothing against weed smokers since they're so chill and hungry and hilarious to be with but I've never tried the stuff, I don't really want to and I don't see the point.

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Making weed legal in this country would be a mistake. Sure if it DID become legal, the government could tax the stuff and get a ton of money from it. I don't mind people smoking weed, I used to be really against it because the way people used to act with it, until I had a bf who used to smoke bongs and stuff.

For some unknown reason I seem to get nosebleeds if people smoke weed around me, and the smell itself is terrible in my opinion. I wouldn't want people smoking it around their children as well.

I have nothing against weed smokers since they're so chill and hungry and hilarious to be with but I've never tried the stuff, I don't really want to and I don't see the point.

People do this regardless of the legality of the drug. They're not gonna let you smoke anywhere you can't have alcohol open. It will be regulated just like alcohol would. That doesn't make it a mistake to make it legal.

Ruizu
02-27-2015, 11:10 AM
People do this regardless of the legality of the drug. They're not gonna let you smoke anywhere you can't have alcohol open. It will be regulated just like alcohol would. That doesn't make it a mistake to make it legal.

Meh either way it's not gonna happen here anyway.

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Meh either way it's not gonna happen here anyway.

Where is here?

Ruizu
02-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Where is here?

Here is the UK.

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Here is the UK.

Is it even an issue there? Like do people want it legal and they won't?

Ruizu
02-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Is it even an issue there? Like do people want it legal and they won't?

Erm, sort of. To me it's not a big issue but to others it's huge. BUT there have been petitions to legalize it like there would be in other countries and all have failed because our current government are against the idea. Who knows what will happen if a different government was elected in the next general election. In years to come I could be completely wrong and they may legalize it :P

If the Police catch you with small portions of weed they caution you at first and then arrest you if you're caught again etc etc.

spleef35
02-27-2015, 02:55 PM
While I have never smoked marijuana, (or even cigarettes for that matter), I have been around numerous people who have smoked it regularly long term, and the resulting effect was aggression, especially if they could not get high after an extended period of time. Just nicotine, narcotics, sugar, and even anti-depressants, the human brain becomes reliant on these substances and foods, which forms habitual behaviors. I'll even use myself as an example, I drink Dr. Pepper almost every day. If I go several days without Dr. Pepper, because that is my primary sugar intake (I am hypoglycemic, so this is the fastest way for me to reload my sugar level), I turn into a nasty bitch. I once removed all soda products from my diet for nearly a year, and despite doing that, I would STILL have moments, at least once a week, where I craved a huge amount of soda or sugar in general. It even made it hard for me to do my job, so I had to bring something high in sugar with me every day in order to not go ape-shit on my customers.

That being said, I am not okay with people using marijuana in a recreational setting. People sell pot, and anytime anything is sold, people have to fight over it. At the bus stop I wait at every single day, people were getting high inside the kiosk, a lot of times using laced pot, which led to fighting of course, followed by harassing people, and delightfully inappropriate behaviors. My favorite was when a woman who got into some really badly laced pot walked out of the kiosk, drops her pants and started twerking up against random people. It's not the pot itself that I have a problem with, let me just make that clear. It's the obnoxious things people do with it.

However, when it comes medicinal purposes, I am all for pot being used. Marijuana in pill form, vapor inhalants, etc, can be used to treat anxiety and depression. It is especially good for treating glaucoma if someone's health insurance cannot cover the cost of the surgery needed to correct glaucoma. Marijuana relaxes muscles, so it relieves the pressure on the eyes that is caused by glaucoma. (I wish I could convince my mother to seek out this treatment until she has her surgery in the future, because she has the beginning stages of glaucoma).

IrishCreme
02-27-2015, 04:13 PM
I personally don't smoke Marijuana anymore, 26 now, i did when i was 16-20 when i was a kid but anyways, I'm 50 50 on this

I think Marijuana shouldn't be fully legalized but i do believe it should be used more often than pills when it comes to prescriptions.
You mentioned your anxiety, I'm a FIRM believer that it should be used for anxiety as I've seen first hand through a friend of mine i've known for 15 years that it works a lot better than pills and minimal side effects.

pot is like booze to me, it's all in how you use it, if you use it like an asshole than you shouldn't do it.

a joint or two a day isn't bad, it's when people are doing it more than a smoker smokes cigarettes that makes it bad.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

marijuana shuld be fully legalized for medical use only.

We should never have to endure it being acceptable in public, my father has smoked weed since before i was born, if anyone claims the no side effects crap i'll grab my dad by the ankles and hit you with him. *Beat a motherfucker with another motherfucker* :) lawls

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I live in Canada, If it became legalized for public use in my province, i would not hesitate to move.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Driving under the influence is pretty broad in Canada, a DUI can be drinking, drugs, tired, emotional.

Charizard
02-27-2015, 06:03 PM
To me the only harm that seems to be the most noticeable is the mood swings potheads tend to get and their obsession with the drug. It seems unhealthy to me, yes there are benefits but at the same time I see many who use and abuse it and think they are going to convince everyone else to do the same. I agree more with the edible and applicable uses of the drug rather than the inhalants since the health benefits are more safely received and the whole drug party attitude keeps things from developing in the wrong direction. I have smoked myself many times but haven't in years because it really no longer interested me. That and I had been noticing a lingering high feeling that felt uncomfortable even after months of going without. And of course the damage to the lungs wasn't in my best interests since mine are already quite weak.

I see the benefits but at the same time it can be irritating. The smell is obnoxious, many spending money on what they can't afford instead of paying for responsibilities, etc.
All in all despite all that I would not mind seeing it legalized. And as well as see alcohol more regulated itself.

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 06:40 PM

If it can do this for one state, imagine what it could do for our country.

spleef35
02-27-2015, 08:22 PM

This is a solid point. This following short film focuses on drug raids and horror they cause: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Yes, the film itself is fictional, but similar scenarios happen often in the U.S.

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 08:26 PM
This is a solid point. This following short film focuses on drug raids and horror they cause: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Yes, the film itself is fictional, but similar scenarios happen often in the U.S.

Thank you (: I could totally see how raids could be traumatizing.

IrishCreme
02-27-2015, 08:33 PM

It went well for that state, but what about more crime ridden states? it will not go as well.

spleef35
02-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Thank you (: I could totally see how raids could be traumatizing.

Aiyana Stanley-Jones, who the film is dedicated to, was killed in a similar raid. Cops threw a gas grenade into the home, and with obscured vision, one cop decided to fire his weapon, and shot Aiyana, who was laying on the living room couch.

Legalizing marijuana will not stop innocent people being killed in these raids. Making cops accountable for their actions will. But legalizing marijuana could potentially save at least some lives.

IrishCreme
02-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Aiyana Stanley-Jones, who the film is dedicated to, was killed in a similar raid. Cops threw a gas grenade into the home, and with obscured vision, one cop decided to fire his weapon, and shot Aiyana, who was laying on the living room couch.

Legalizing marijuana will not stop innocent people being killed in these raids. Making cops accountable for their actions will. But legalizing marijuana could potentially save at least some lives.

Strictly depends on the state.

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Something I really wonder though.. what will happen to the people in prison for weed related crimes?

IrishCreme
02-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Something I really wonder though.. what will happen to the people in prison for weed related crimes?

Well it was a crime when they got arrested, so it's hard to say, depends what the charges involved cause even when its legal isn't their still set amounts allowed?

Ph0enix
02-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Well it was a crime when they got arrested, so it's hard to say, depends what the charges involved cause even when its legal isn't their still set amounts allowed?

I guess that actually makes alot of sense but it sucks for them.

IrishCreme
02-27-2015, 10:08 PM
I guess that actually makes alot of sense but it sucks for them.

We could refer to some american history about it, look back during the period where booze was illegal?

spleef35
02-27-2015, 11:02 PM
Strictly depends on the state.

When you say depends on the state, what are you referring to?

IrishCreme
02-27-2015, 11:16 PM
When you say depends on the state, what are you referring to?

Like certain states would or wouldn't get better if pot was legalized.

Lincoln
02-28-2015, 12:15 AM
You blame the person for choosing to take a substance that alters the way they might otherwise have handled a situation; like alcohol, it impairs your judgement and thus your ability to make the best choices. If the drug affects your ability to make your normal choices, how it is not partially responsible for what that person does? It's ok, Mr Meth-head. The drug isn't to blame for your actions. You are, for putting yourself in the situation where you might have an adverse reaction and hurt people. Allowing everything and just blaming the person for how they handle it isn't logical. If I make a cancer cure that kills 50% of people who take it, should I blame the people for handling it badly? I hyperbolise to make a point.

As I said in the other thread, legitimate medical use is fine with me. My objection is to your use of high modality in your original post. It is worded in a sense that lends it absolute authority, because it is true for you. It seems to suggest that anyone who has a less-than-positive reaction is to blame themselves, rather than looking at anything else.

For you. For others, including much of my family, it is.
For you. But you can't, with 100% sincerity and confidence, say that it won't open other people up to the idea of other drugs. This one is illegal and wasn't so bad. Maybe ice will be the same way.

Please, if people could learn one single thing, let it be that there is a difference between a substance being physically addictive, psychologically addictive, and someone being dependent on the IDEA of the drug.

Weed is not physically addictive. Do not deny it, this is literally a fact. There is no withdrawl.
Weed can be psychologically addictive. The symptoms make it difficult to discern the 'desire' to smoke, from your brain wanting you to smoke. Even in the tough situations, however, symptoms such as mood swings can be noted.
However, people can have addictive personalities that culminate in smoking weed. They can want to smoke. They can do the same thing with food, with cigarettes (although these are physically addictive), with literally anything.

On every thread I've seen about weed, someone comments that their parents were addicted, and as a result, were bad parents. I can't speak for your parents, but if they were prioritizing any material item over their kids, that is their own fault. Weed did not make them do this, because it is not physically or psychologically addictive.

The big point here is that we, when contrasting the minor psychological addiction of weed to the other substances with likelihood for addiction:

Wait for it... Just about everything. Food, has a level of addiction to it. You can be addicted to sex. You can be addicted to just about everything, provided that the psychological boundaries to quantify addiction are wide enough.

Parents who are 'addicted to weed' aren't bad parents because of the evil weed.

IrishCreme
02-28-2015, 02:45 AM
my dad is a good pot head, his memory and ambition have gone down the drain completely but he always made sure his kids were taken care of before he even considered grabbing any.

VnD
02-28-2015, 05:00 AM
Definitely decriminalize! There were a few states from what I remember, and if you had a minor possession of MJ charge within the past 6-12mo it was dropped. But unfortunately you don't get reimbursed anything, at least in those cases. Better than nothing. I will need to find the source as this is from memory so it might be a tad off.

Its quite weird how forcing people to not do something just leads to everyone wanting it more..

TheLargeOne
02-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Weed is so non-damaging that it's funny.

But yeah, what'll happen to those in jail for weed-related crimes?

Ph0enix
02-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Please, if people could learn one single thing, let it be that there is a difference between a substance being physically addictive, psychologically addictive, and someone being dependent on the IDEA of the drug.

Weed is not physically addictive. Do not deny it, this is literally a fact. There is no withdrawl.
Weed can be psychologically addictive. The symptoms make it difficult to discern the 'desire' to smoke, from your brain wanting you to smoke. Even in the tough situations, however, symptoms such as mood swings can be noted.
However, people can have addictive personalities that culminate in smoking weed. They can want to smoke. They can do the same thing with food, with cigarettes (although these are physically addictive), with literally anything.

On every thread I've seen about weed, someone comments that their parents were addicted, and as a result, were bad parents. I can't speak for your parents, but if they were prioritizing any material item over their kids, that is their own fault. Weed did not make them do this, because it is not physically or psychologically addictive.

The big point here is that we, when contrasting the minor psychological addiction of weed to the other substances with likelihood for addiction:

Wait for it... Just about everything. Food, has a level of addiction to it. You can be addicted to sex. You can be addicted to just about everything, provided that the psychological boundaries to quantify addiction are wide enough.

Parents who are 'addicted to weed' aren't bad parents because of the evil weed.

Ok I actually really like the way you put this, but I just have one question: You say in the third line weed can be psychologically addictive, but a few lines later say it is not physically or psychologically addictive. Which do you believe?

That being said, I agree that weed can be psychologically addictive, but depending on the person. Some people are more susceptible to addiction to things that a vast majority of us wouldn't. It being a drug, with mind and body altering effects, people could possibly become "addicted" (and I use that term loosely) to the feeling, perhaps as a means of comfort, escape, pain relief, fighting cancer, whatever your situation may be.

I would also like to add that it has been said a few times in this thread that it impairs your judgement. Yes, that is absolutely true. It does. But that is true about alcohol times ten. Alcohol is so much worse than marijuana in SO many ways. Not only does it impair your mind much more than marijuana, it impedes your driving much worse (I should say that this is obviously dependent on the amount of alcohol consumed). Yet alcohol remains completely legal and available to anyone who wants it. It is also proven to be physically AND psychologically addictive. It has killed MANY people, while there is not a single death from marijuana. No one is boycotting alcohol to make it illegal. They will, however, fight as hard as they can to keep a much safer, not to mention beneficial to many, plant that is safer than alcohol. Alcohol does not have a single benefit to your mind or body. Some could say the feeling is the benefit I guess but not to me to be honest. I prefer the much calmer, more relaxing feeling of smoking. There are complaints about the detriment to the lungs from inhaling the smoke, but it can be consumed in so many other ways. Once it is legal, those safer methods will be available to everyone.

Rauss
02-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Just keep using weed maybe once every half-year just to take the edge off of things and enjoy yourself.
By no means start leaning on it as a "personal therapist."

And vaporize, don't smoke.

Lincoln
02-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Ok I actually really like the way you put this, but I just have one question: You say in the third line weed can be psychologically addictive, but a few lines later say it is not physically or psychologically addictive. Which do you believe?

That being said, I agree that weed can be psychologically addictive, but depending on the person. Some people are more susceptible to addiction to things that a vast majority of us wouldn't. It being a drug, with mind and body altering effects, people could possibly become "addicted" (and I use that term loosely) to the feeling, perhaps as a means of comfort, escape, pain relief, fighting cancer, whatever your situation may be.

I would also like to add that it has been said a few times in this thread that it impairs your judgement. Yes, that is absolutely true. It does. But that is true about alcohol times ten. Alcohol is so much worse than marijuana in SO many ways. Not only does it impair your mind much more than marijuana, it impedes your driving much worse (I should say that this is obviously dependent on the amount of alcohol consumed). Yet alcohol remains completely legal and available to anyone who wants it. It is also proven to be physically AND psychologically addictive. It has killed MANY people, while there is not a single death from marijuana. No one is boycotting alcohol to make it illegal. They will, however, fight as hard as they can to keep a much safer, not to mention beneficial to many, plant that is safer than alcohol. Alcohol does not have a single benefit to your mind or body. Some could say the feeling is the benefit I guess but not to me to be honest. I prefer the much calmer, more relaxing feeling of smoking. There are complaints about the detriment to the lungs from inhaling the smoke, but it can be consumed in so many other ways. Once it is legal, those safer methods will be available to everyone.

XD I originally wrote that it was not psychologically addictive, but upon reading a bit more on the subject, weed can fall under the wide wings of psychological addiction. Forgot to change that line!

CaptainNight
03-01-2015, 03:17 AM
I just want to say that I see a lot of arguments claiming that legalization will allow for more education, more rehab for people who do develop addictions, safer and more responsible use, etc.... but I don't think any of that is actually going to happen.

Alchohol has been legal in America for a long ass time and I have yet to see proper education about it. I have yet to see any GOOD rehabilitation for people who end up alchoholics. AA is a joke and there are thousands upon thousands of alchoholics that no one seems to give a shit about. I have yet to see any of those things people SWEAR will come along with drug legalization.

BIRTH CONTROL is a non-addictive substance that is TOTALLY GOOD FOR THE WORLD, and I have yet to see proper education about it and women still grow up not knowing which hole they pee from in America. Do you really think that once weed is legal there is going to be realistic information available to EVERYONE when we can't even get basic shit about our own bodies right?

My issue with legalization and removal of restrictions centers around the fact that the education that I think is necessary will never come. Until the day people start treating addiction and whatnot seriously and honestly teaching kids how to use substances responsibly, the world isn't ready yet.

Weed is not physically addictive but its hella psycologically addictive. I have an addictive personality so I can never smoke either way. I know that about myself. Yet I grew up in a well educated home where I also had examples from other family members exactly what happens when you fuck around with drugs. They can take over your life. "hurr durr its not the weeds fault people are irresponsible". No shit. But its also not really a good argument when a good big % of society DOES have an addictive personality and without education WILL end up hooked on weed or end up fed misinformation that makes them treat it like a gateway drug. If I hadn't been taught from an early age how to act responsibly I would probably be addicted to like 15 different things and I sure as hell KNOW that not everyone got the same education I did.

I don't think people should have free access to yet another substance without the education changes coming FIRST. No legalization supporter has been able to guarantee education and rehab changes and seem to think its going to magically fall from the sky once its legal everywhere. Just like it has for alcohol >.> *cough* not at all *cough*

I will support whatever legalization you want if you can show me the education roll-outs in the state BEFORE the weed starts going on sale.

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

I will say that I absolutely support a form of medical use.

Hell, amphetamines are legal in adderall/Ritalin/etc.

But the difference is they are tightly controlled. You dont just walk into the pharmacy and buy a branded product with a fancy name like "blue dream~" and pick up a new bumper sticker advertising your medication on your way out.

I think medical mj needs to be more like... medicine. It reminds me too much of homeopathy/ "alternative medicine" right now. If you want it treated like a real beneficial, scientific product you need to quit putting it on t-shirts and treating it like a game. If the THCs treat anxiety, that is fucking great! Like I literally want you have the medicine you need. Every time I see a "medical" mj shop I want to roll my eyes because its full of bob marley shit and looks like a tourist attraction full of dirty hippies. How am I supposed to take scientific studies about it seriously or believe any of those people are treating a medical condition safely? Its a joke.

Do you really need to *smoke* it and buy all this crazy looking shit just to manage your anxiety, without even controlling exact amounts of the active ingrediants? Is this 1850? Someone with ADHD doesn't just go grab some street amphetamines. They take exact quantities of safe active ingredients to manage their symptoms with minimal adverse effects. The quantity and frequency is overseen by a doctor, as with ANY OTHER MEDICINE IN AMERICA RIGHT NOW.

Mama Bear
03-01-2015, 03:50 AM
I will say that I absolutely support a form of medical use.

But the difference is they are tightly controlled. You dont just walk into the pharmacy and buy a branded product with a fancy name like "blue dream~" and pick up a new bumper sticker advertising your medication on your way out.

I think medical mj needs to be more like... medicine. It reminds me too much of homeopathy/ "alternative medicine" right now. If you want it treated like a real beneficial, scientific product you need to quit putting it on t-shirts and treating it like a game. If the THCs treat anxiety, that is fucking great! Like I literally want you have the medicine you need. Every time I see a "medical" mj shop I want to roll my eyes because its full of bob marley shit and looks like a tourist attraction full of dirty hippies. How am I supposed to take scientific studies about it seriously or believe any of those people are treating a medical condition safely? Its a joke.

Do you really need to *smoke* it and buy all this crazy looking shit just to manage your anxiety, without even controlling exact amounts of the active ingrediants? Is this 1850? Someone with ADHD doesn't just go grab some street amphetamines. They take exact quantities of safe active ingredients to manage their symptoms with minimal adverse effects. The quantity and frequency is overseen by a doctor, as with ANY OTHER MEDICINE IN AMERICA RIGHT NOW.

I completely agree with this sentiment. It reminds me of the South Park episode, where guys intentionally give themselves cancer so they can enjoy smoking.

Agrippa
03-01-2015, 10:37 AM
In my opnion, as long as I don't have to get into a bus or get to work smelling like marijuana just because it is now "open-season" I am ok with it. I believe it would be ok to allow people to do it at home and buy under certain "strict" regulations in order to not only cut off the black market for that good but to also make sure the product doesn't end up in the hands of students who are still developing

Ph0enix
03-02-2015, 07:58 AM
[/COLOR]I will say that I absolutely support a form of medical use.

Actually, if you want to get technical, it IS "alternative medicine" in the sense that it is all natural, has very few if any adverse reactions (and I speak of the detriment to the lungs again, not anything else), and works just as well as those pills chocked full of your "scientific" chemicals and ingredients that DO have adverse reactions, like extreme drowsiness, vastly impaired mental and physical ability, and a heavy chance of physical and psychological addiction. My father is on medicinal marijuana in Maine for a list of medical problems, the symptoms of which have all been ceased or lessened by marijuana. He used to be on a regimen that had swallowing 11 pills a day, he now only needs two of them. I don't really understand why you would urge someone to take a prescription pills when there is a healthy, natural medicine ("alternative" or not) that gets the job done just as effectively without a single negative side effect. Marijuana doesn't have any need to be regulated by a doctor because it is not dangerous in any amount. It is physically impossible to overdose on it.

In reference to your qualms about the lack of education, if course education can always be improved, no matter what it is. I actually feel like there is alot of education and literature available out there for alcohol, and so many programs available for addicts. Can I ask what more you would actually do if you had the power to implement change? What more education would you create? They use those methods of advertisement because that is what brings in customers. It is unfortunate that they make it a sort of joke, but I guess that's how they get their revenue. I have been to the dispensary where my father gets his medicinal marijuana from, and it is nothing like that. Every place is different, I guess. You're also not realizing they use the same exact angle with marijuana, they treat it like a joke as well. They advertise parties and people on beaches having the time of their lives, but no one is beating the shit out of their wife in the commercial. That happens every single day in the US, and a good portion of it is cause by substance abuse.

No matter what I say, anyone on this thread says, or what Joe down the street says about weed, it either will or will not be legalized.

I added this after I re-read your argument and my response but what do you mean by "controlling the amount of active ingredients"? There is literally one ingredient, THC - it's a PLANT, not something we created. It is 100% natural. There is no active or inactive additives into this, we dry the shit out and smoke it. There is no "process" where we alter it in anyway, take anything out, or put anything in. Just saying.

learningtoneopet1
03-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Actually, if you want to get technical, it IS "alternative medicine" in the sense that it is all natural, has very few if any adverse reactions (and I speak of the detriment to the lungs again, not anything else), and works just as well as those pills chocked full of your "scientific" chemicals and ingredients that DO have adverse reactions, like extreme drowsiness, vastly impaired mental and physical ability, and a heavy chance of physical and psychological addiction. My father is on medicinal marijuana in Maine for a list of medical problems, the symptoms of which have all been ceased or lessened by marijuana. He used to be on a regimen that had swallowing 11 pills a day, he now only needs two of them. I don't really understand why you would urge someone to take a prescription pills when there is a healthy, natural medicine ("alternative" or not) that gets the job done just as effectively without a single negative side effect. Marijuana doesn't have any need to be regulated by a doctor because it is not dangerous in any amount. It is physically impossible to overdose on it.

In reference to your qualms about the lack of education, if course education can always be improved, no matter what it is. I actually feel like there is alot of education and literature available out there for alcohol, and so many programs available for addicts. Can I ask what more you would actually do if you had the power to implement change? What more education would you create? They use those methods of advertisement because that is what brings in customers. It is unfortunate that they make it a sort of joke, but I guess that's how they get their revenue. I have been to the dispensary where my father gets his medicinal marijuana from, and it is nothing like that. Every place is different, I guess. You're also not realizing they use the same exact angle with marijuana, they treat it like a joke as well. They advertise parties and people on beaches having the time of their lives, but no one is beating the shit out of their wife in the commercial. That happens every single day in the US, and a good portion of it is cause by substance abuse.

No matter what I say, anyone on this thread says, or what Joe down the street says about weed, it either will or will not be legalized.

I added this after I re-read your argument and my response but what do you mean by "controlling the amount of active ingredients"? There is literally one ingredient, THC - it's a PLANT, not something we created. It is 100% natural. There is no active or inactive additives into this, we dry the shit out and smoke it. There is no "process" where we alter it in anyway, take anything out, or put anything in. Just saying.

You contradict yourself multiple times in this... At first you say that it is unhealthy in the sense that is destroys your lungs, but then you say the exact opposite and say it is as healthy as can be. You seem to go back and forth between it having no side effects and being bad for you. You also say that pills can cause side effects like sleepiness, but weed does the exact same thing. Many people take it to calm themselves down so they can sleep well at night. That's not any different than prescription pills. Either way you look at it, it can give you long-term health problems like any other legal or illegal drug. Which would you rather have? Dying from lung cancer or heart disease at a young age due to smoking, or being drowsy every day from taking prescription pills. Yeah, I know which one I would choose. Sure there's benefits to it, but there is safer medicine that has a much lower chance of hurting you in the long run.

Ph0enix
03-02-2015, 10:07 PM
You contradict yourself multiple times in this... At first you say that it is unhealthy in the sense that is destroys your lungs, but then you say the exact opposite and say it is as healthy as can be. You seem to go back and forth between it having no side effects and being bad for you. You also say that pills can cause side effects like sleepiness, but weed does the exact same thing. Many people take it to calm themselves down so they can sleep well at night. That's not any different than prescription pills. Either way you look at it, it can give you long-term health problems like any other legal or illegal drug. Which would you rather have? Dying from lung cancer or heart disease at a young age due to smoking, or being drowsy every day from taking prescription pills. Yeah, I know which one I would choose. Sure there's benefits to it, but there is safer medicine that has a much lower chance of hurting you in the long run.

I don't contradict myself in this. The only reason I say anything about the detriment to the lungs is because smoking ANYTHING can do that. Have you ever taken Klonopin/Xanax/Seroquil/any other anxiety medication? Have you ever smoked weed, actually? The "high" from both are vastly different. Myself as well as every person I know are completely functional when under the influence of marijuana, whereas I take any of the medications listed (or any others that are similar) and I am a complete zombie, fighting to stay awake all day. Smoke just one bowl, and sure I am impaired because of the weed but it only lasts about a half hour to 45 minutes (this is the case for me, others could stay high up to two hours) and my anxiety is gone and I can go about my day. The feelings from both of them are nothing alike. Some strains are sleepy, some are energetic. Depends on what you need. When it's legal, there will be many more, safer ways to ingest it other than through smoking and you will be able to choose a sativa (energetic weed) or an indica (relaxing, sleepy weed). I don't go back and forth at all. I say the lung thing because that is literally the only downside to it, and that's if you smoke heavily for a long time. Again, safer methods will be available just like in Colorado.

Also, not once did I ever say it destroys your lungs. I said that smoking anything could have consequences when it comes to your lungs. This, too, can be dependent on how you smoke the weed. If for instance you roll it into a cigar wrapping, that's not good for you. Rolling papers are not that bad but it's much better to smoke it from a bowl, or even better, a bong. The water in the bottom of a bong filters the smoke. Vaporizing is the healthiest way to smoke it.

spleef35
03-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Years ago, I used to be into that TV show 7th Heaven. It was a pretty crappy show when I look back on it. However, in one episode the oldest son got his hands on these diet pills with all natural ingredients. The dad finds out, questions him about it, and the son used the argument that it's okay because it's all natural. So the dad goes, "Just because it is all natural, doesn't mean it's ALL SAFE".

This rings true for marijuana. Smoking it will damage your lungs over time. Eating it in a pill form however, has no adverse effects. The pain relief from the pill lasts longer than from smoking it as well. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Ph0enix
03-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Years ago, I used to be into that TV show 7th Heaven. It was a pretty crappy show when I look back on it. However, in one episode the oldest son got his hands on these diet pills with all natural ingredients. The dad finds out, questions him about it, and the son used the argument that it's okay because it's all natural. So the dad goes, "Just because it is all natural, doesn't mean it's ALL SAFE".

This rings true for marijuana. Smoking it will damage your lungs over time. Eating it in a pill form however, has no adverse effects. The pain relief from the pill lasts longer than from smoking it as well. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

7th Heaven was a teenage soap opera that yes, I watched religiously. I remember the episode you're talking about. However, it is one of the stupidest shows I have ever admitted to liking, oftentimes way over-exaggerating "teen issues" to the point where I thought you were going to make an argument based on that show and I was going to try my best not to laugh. I didn't say all natural things are all safe. I even pointed this out in one of my posts - I referenced mushrooms specifically that are poisonous, but natural. I also said that it will be available in safer forms of ingestion, therefore eradicating the lung argument.

ipooded
04-29-2015, 12:54 AM
I live in California. I have worked 3 years in the medical marijuana industry supplying and delivering medication to patients around my county. Yes, because its legal we do see patients who use it more recreationally than medically. However, among those who I have talked to who do use it for medical purposes, it is without a doubt more effective than prescription drugs many of said patients have been given. One of the patients that I remember meeting suffered from Mitochondrial disease (Here, I'll google it for you:) When someone comes up to you and tells you that the only thing that helps ease the pain is something as simple and natural as cannabis, you start to realize that this is more than politics. This is about people being able to have access to something that helps alleviate many of life's problems.

Before I started working within the company I knew little to nothing about marijuana (I was 18 and just starting college), and I am so glad that by the time I was finished with college I've gained so much more knowledge about its effects and use throughout history and in modern times. As such, I fully support my local events and hope the other few states pass their legalization bills.

TwistyBR
05-05-2015, 08:30 AM
legalizinng marijuana like some coutries ans states already did are good for taxation and it is a way to stop the war on drugs, cause we will always lose it

Corset
05-06-2015, 07:15 PM
No, I don't want weed legalized. I want alcohol outlawed too. I don't think either deserve jail/prison time though. Maybe a fine. Both impair your somehow, whether you think they do or not. They alter the way your body functions. We already know people can't be responsible to save their lives.

haiqtpi
05-06-2015, 07:34 PM
I don't contradict myself in this. The only reason I say anything about the detriment to the lungs is because smoking ANYTHING can do that. Have you ever taken Klonopin/Xanax/Seroquil/any other anxiety medication? Have you ever smoked weed, actually? The "high" from both are vastly different. Myself as well as every person I know are completely functional when under the influence of marijuana, whereas I take any of the medications listed (or any others that are similar) and I am a complete zombie, fighting to stay awake all day. Smoke just one bowl, and sure I am impaired because of the weed but it only lasts about a half hour to 45 minutes (this is the case for me, others could stay high up to two hours) and my anxiety is gone and I can go about my day. The feelings from both of them are nothing alike. Some strains are sleepy, some are energetic. Depends on what you need. When it's legal, there will be many more, safer ways to ingest it other than through smoking and you will be able to choose a sativa (energetic weed) or an indica (relaxing, sleepy weed). I don't go back and forth at all. I say the lung thing because that is literally the only downside to it, and that's if you smoke heavily for a long time. Again, safer methods will be available just like in Colorado.

Also, not once did I ever say it destroys your lungs. I said that smoking anything could have consequences when it comes to your lungs. This, too, can be dependent on how you smoke the weed. If for instance you roll it into a cigar wrapping, that's not good for you. Rolling papers are not that bad but it's much better to smoke it from a bowl, or even better, a bong. The water in the bottom of a bong filters the smoke. Vaporizing is the healthiest way to smoke it.

I actually work with THC in my lab, where we run cognitive and behavioral tests on animals under the influence of various narcotics. I think that there is a need to correct some of what you say:
- Trying to distinguish marijuana as being "natural" and therefore better for you is completely false. The very same prescription drugs that you are knocking work on the same mechanisms, and often times produce the same neural activity.
- Calling marijuana an "alternative treatment" or "medicine" is do misguided. Marijuana is a drug (by definition), much like the same prescriptions that you knocked (using the same definition that I applied to marijuana).
- Suggesting that marijuana is somehow totally devoid of adverse reactions is also entirely untrue. We run MANY behavioral paradigms on animals with and without THC, and the THC often times impairs their performance. There was an interesting anecdote about a drummer in the 70s who thought that he played drums better when high, swore by it. He was actually recorded when under the influence, and then again while sober, and was infinitely better sober.
- Marijuana use has many UNSEEN consequences:
- since it is smoked, it hits the brain A LOT quicker than drugs taken orally
- I am not sure how familiar you are with neuroplasticity and how the brain works and sends messages, but THC effects neurotransmission, and use can actually end up altering parts of your brain - both in how signals are sent, and production of hormones etc.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that marijuana is the worst thing for you - I get that it is made out to be a lot worse than it is, that many old stigmas regarding it still exist today, regardless of having been disproven. That being said, I am alarmed by the shift to the complete polar opposite view of the drug by the common people, and I fear this becoming an issue. There have been studies of it being effective for the treatment of some disorders, pain, etc, but it is by no means a cure. On one hand, I find it disgusting that people have gone away for life due to dealing marijuana, and others had their lives ruined in similiar fashions over the years, but voicing some of the sentiments already mentioned, at least in the US, I do not think that we are ready for full legalization. Alcohol is a big problem here, think about drunk driving...I literally can show you the impairment that THC causes on behavioral tasks...until Americans are able to get their shit together, I would NEVER trust them with another substance of impairment.

That being said, does this mean we go ahead and ban glues and other inhalants? Obviously not...there are two sides to the argument, but I think that legalization in the hands of the American public in this current day and age is a big mistake. If a drug policy AND mentality were adopted like that in the Netherlands, then I would totally be an advocate.

Six
05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
I think all drugs should be legal, it would save thousands of lives in the long run since a lot of people are terrified of seeking help in fear of being labeled as a simple low-life drug addict and being punished forever, which means they'd never get any working medication in the future.

Elf
05-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I think all drugs should be legal, it would save thousands of lives in the long run since a lot of people are terrified of seeking help in fear of being labeled as a simple low-life drug addict and being punished forever, which means they'd never get any working medication in the future.

There are reasons a lot of drugs are illegal. They cause a lot of problems that the government would have to be responsible for, if they were legal. Marijuana isn't one of these, but things like heroin, meth, etc., are seriously damaging to a person and the government should not be responsible for allowing those people to use them.

haiqtpi
05-06-2015, 08:00 PM
There are reasons a lot of drugs are illegal. They cause a lot of problems that the government would have to be responsible for, if they were legal. Marijuana isn't one of these, but things like heroin, meth, etc., are seriously damaging to a person and the government should not be responsible for allowing those people to use them.

I agree - people are not adequately educated on the matter to make the best decision for themselves. Can you imagine if meth was legal? xD every state would look like Florida (yea I threw some shade, so what!?)

Six
05-06-2015, 08:41 PM
The thing we should keep in mind though is that people have been using mind-altering substances since the beginning of time. This is nothing new, it's normal human behavior (even alot of animals do this as well). There are of course a lot of legal medications out there pushed by Big Pharma, but those rarely work and have a plethora of harmful side-effects (more often than not sweeped under the rug since there is alot of money involved).

Ph0enix
05-08-2015, 04:02 PM

I disagree. Weed should not be classified as a drug, everything else that is illegal should. I in no way want any other drugs legal.

Charlie
05-08-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't have a major opinion one way or the other, but if they do legalize it, I simply hope that it doesn't turn into an issue in the court system. I'm already tired of reading cases stating, "The alcohol made me do it!" I'm hoping the court system begins to not allow such excuses. You willingly put it in your body - you are responsible for all consequences if you commit a crime "under the influence" or "high." That's the only opinion I have on any drugs/alcohol.

TwistyBR
05-08-2015, 05:02 PM
first things first, i think it should be legallized, i do not use it, but i know people that use. i think it isn't the real pathway to harder drugs, the real pathway is people, unless someone offers you or lead you to harder drugs, they won't be so attractive if you are just an occasional weed smoker. by the way, countries would profit with the taxation on the drug, it is all for the best, it is 2015 we should be open minded, so we can stop the old traditions ruin future opportunities.

learningtoneopet1
05-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I disagree. Weed should not be classified as a drug, everything else that is illegal should. I in no way want any other drugs legal.

Why shouldn't weed be classified as a drug if it significantly changes the way you act? It's like alcohol in that it reduces your inhibitions and makes you unable to do certain things safely such as driving or anything of that nature. If it was declassified a drug, then you'll have a bunch of people going around, getting high, and then hopping into a car, endangering hundreds of lives. I've never done it, but have plenty of friends who smoke. It's pretty fucking obvious when someone's high, not only because of the obvious physical factors but also mental things like when they're talking really slowly or taking a few seconds to respond. If it's decriminalized, people are going to go out and misuse it because they think they're able to control how they act when under the influence.

Ked
05-08-2015, 05:27 PM
If alcohol is legal then I see no problem with weed. I don't really see any harm if people
want to get high on there free time let them.

Ph0enix
05-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Why shouldn't weed be classified as a drug if it significantly changes the way you act? It's like alcohol in that it reduces your inhibitions and makes you unable to do certain things safely such as driving or anything of that nature. If it was declassified a drug, then you'll have a bunch of people going around, getting high, and then hopping into a car, endangering hundreds of lives. I've never done it, but have plenty of friends who smoke. It's pretty fucking obvious when someone's high, not only because of the obvious physical factors but also mental things like when they're talking really slowly or taking a few seconds to respond. If it's decriminalized, people are going to go out and misuse it because they think they're able to control how they act when under the influence.

I meant in the sense that it shouldn't be illegal.

Butterfly
05-08-2015, 11:16 PM
I don't know if it should be legalized, but... it's about to become legal where I live in a few months, so we'll see how it turns out...? Haha. I'm just worried they're going to tax the crap out of it. If it's too expensive in stores, I'll just keep getting it from friends :$

I like weed, but it IS a drug, and you CAN develop a gnarly dependence and addiction. Weed withdrawals are real, too--I've had them. I like weed better than alcohol and believe it is the less evil and destructive drug, but just like anything else in life, ya gotta take it in moderation.

Clear
05-09-2015, 03:07 AM
My sister has terrible allergies and when our neighbor (duplex) used to smoke weed and the smoke would come through the vents into her room, she would go into a terrible reaction. Once to the point where she needed to use her epipen. For me, I have asthma and smoke from cigarettes and weed both bother me. Not to mention, it smells terrible. As well, I'm not sure if it has to do with the pot directly, but I did notice that a few people I met who started smoking changed significantly in their personalities - and by that, I mean they became assholes. When I mentioned this to friends, a few had also experienced the same thing. Could be from the pot itself, or just because of the type of people they started hanging out with because of the pot. But either way - no me gusta.

That said, I'd personally prefer it to not be legalized. But I wouldn't lose my shit if it were, as long as there were heavy restrictions on where it can be smoked (only in private). I sincerely hope that there will be a standard and expectation that people do not show up to work or school smelling like pot, as well. And that people will have common decency to understand that some people will have allergies/asthma that may react to it poorly. But yeah, highly prefer it not to be. (But mainly because of how I've seen my sister react to it. That's terrifying shit and I think people will be careless if it's legal and not give a shit about others).

Vattumannen
05-13-2015, 02:42 AM
I'm pro-marijuana the same way i'm pro-veganism: go ahead and do your thing, but please don't be militant and holier than thou or otherwise weed-aggressive around me or i'm going to pretend like i hate everything you stand for and offer you a very, very pointless argument

pointless arguments are neither here nor there though

My sister has terrible allergies and when our neighbor (duplex) used to smoke weed and the smoke would come through the vents into her room, she would go into a terrible reaction. Once to the point where she needed to use her epipen. For me, I have asthma and smoke from cigarettes and weed both bother me. Not to mention, it smells terrible. As well, I'm not sure if it has to do with the pot directly, but I did notice that a few people I met who started smoking changed significantly in their personalities - and by that, I mean they became assholes. When I mentioned this to friends, a few had also experienced the same thing. Could be from the pot itself, or just because of the type of people they started hanging out with because of the pot. But either way - no me gusta.

That said, I'd personally prefer it to not be legalized. But I wouldn't lose my shit if it were, as long as there were heavy restrictions on where it can be smoked (only in private). I sincerely hope that there will be a standard and expectation that people do not show up to work or school smelling like pot, as well. And that people will have common decency to understand that some people will have allergies/asthma that may react to it poorly. But yeah, highly prefer it not to be. (But mainly because of how I've seen my sister react to it. That's terrifying shit and I think people will be careless if it's legal and not give a shit about others).

Would you also support the abolition of cigar/ettes for similar reasons, or any other drugs that produce smoke when used (i can't recall any more but there's probably more than just two??)? Just curious.

BoopnDoot
05-18-2015, 09:06 AM
I don't use it personally, I tried once and didn't have enough to get at all high because I underestimated my tolerance, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't see any harm in legalising it if it's got the right restrictions and care is taken as well as going through the right steps to ensure as much safety as possible (much like with alcohol and cigarettes) to me as a non-smoker I don't find the smell any worse than cigarette smoke, in fact it's a little more tolerable (I mean no offence to smokers, you do you) and from what I've heard it isn't much worse risk wise (or some say it's better) than cigarettes or alcohol. I've seen figures (I can't be bothered looking or I'd track them down but I'm feeling a little sickly so LAZY) that said that in places where marijuana was legalised they saw a decrease in certain crimes.

Plus as a long time anxiety sufferer the possible effects of medical marijuana on that are interesting to me because living with anxiety is really hard and there are times when it's crippling and I get pins and needles (the feeling when you sit on your foot and it goes to sleep the feels like static or being touched with lots of tiny pins and needles) on my face, chest and hands, because of it. The progress I have made over the years has been mostly by myself because therapy never helps (11 years in and out and trying again and again) and nor does medication so the prospect of something that could be utilised in a way that could help people like me is a plus. Although I do know that it might not be suitable for me if it were to become a thing because some people's depression can be worsened by marijuana use.

I used to be completely against it because this person I knew (not going to get into too much detail, don't want to go upsetting myself) was unfortunate and for them it worsened their existing issues and they ended up committing suicide, however there were a lot of other contributing factors and I know that he made his own choices, problem was that he was happy when he was high, but he couldn't stay high all the time and bad things happened and a person can only take so much before it becomes too much. His situation doesn't override every other person and it doesn't make me think that all weed users will head that way, when I was younger and a lot angrier I did think that way, now I just see it as a possibility to bear in mind, that can happen and it's scary and hard and really sad.

Then there are other people I know or have known who've used it in the past to varying extents and they're perfectly fine.

Not groundbreaking or valuable opinions or even extremely firm, I'm swayed depending on what reputable information comes up, there's a lot to consider and to me it is not at all a black and white issue. I do think that the medical effects should be really looked into though, people suffer with things that could well be better treated when perhaps they don't need to. Plus if it were to be legalised in a more general way people would need to be mindful of their personal traits (for instance if you are more inclined to develop habits/dependencies/addictions and whether you have conditions that it could interact with). I'd like to think that if it were legalised people would be reasonable with where they do it but since regular smokers often puff smoke out regardless of who's in front of them and don't care if they smell of smoke all the time and rarely carry mints I don't think it'd go that way so I'd just be dodging more smoke clouds on the street. (I don't care if people smoke things in all honesty it's their business I just dislike when people are impolite about it). If I chew gum after a smelly snack then surely they can have a mint after a smoke, but that's off topic and more about me hoping that politeness would happen in the event of legalisation than about legalisation itself and me fussing over a pet peave xD.

Pascal1313
05-23-2015, 06:05 AM
Well, I'm from holland and I can tell you that weed is way less of an impact on your health (both mental and physical) than for example alcohol.
Its just going to be a matter of time before its legalized

Clear
05-23-2015, 03:09 PM
I'm pro-marijuana the same way i'm pro-veganism: go ahead and do your thing, but please don't be militant and holier than thou or otherwise weed-aggressive around me or i'm going to pretend like i hate everything you stand for and offer you a very, very pointless argument

pointless arguments are neither here nor there though

Would you also support the abolition of cigar/ettes for similar reasons, or any other drugs that produce smoke when used (i can't recall any more but there's probably more than just two??)? Just curious.

Hmm.... Well, while I'd like it if I didn't have to deal with those things since they also can trigger asthma and allergies, I wouldn't necessarily advocate for them to be banned. Though, they're (in my opinion) more of a hindrance than anything else to everyone involved. Even those smoking it and it'd probably be better if they were banned. So I wouldn't strongly advocate for it but I'd be fine with it if it happened and would slightly prefer it. But I think more than anything else, I just wish that there were laws for people to be considerate of others and that people would actually follow them.

Just the same with pot. I'm not extremely for or against it on it's own - just wish that people would be considerate because it's honestly a very scary thing when someone you care about can't breathe and you fear they may die over someone having a bit of fun or trying to relax smoking some pot. I just don't have enough faith in people to be considerate so I'd rather it just not be legalized. :/ At least with smoking, it's become way more common for there to be places you can and can't smoke, and I think the number of smokers is decreasing too. Maybe due to prices, or to the knowledge now that it's unhealthy. Idk.

(I don't mind generally people smoking in their own homes, or safe places. Just in my case it was a duplex. You know? The guy didn't realize that could happen though and I don't blame him for not thinking about it - but I think that's normal. People just don't think about it and that's the scary thing. I'm not one of those people who hates smoking pot or cigarettes on it's own though.)

Skarl
05-24-2015, 05:15 AM
If alcohol is legal then I see no problem with weed. I don't really see any harm if people
want to get high on there free time let them.

I had a long, boring explanation written out that you stated more concisely with these words. Thank you.

|2eap
05-24-2015, 07:33 AM
I had a long, boring explanation written out that you stated more concisely with these words. Thank you.

damn that would have been an interesting read!

Skarl
05-24-2015, 12:11 PM
damn that would have been an interesting read!

While I think the legalization will increase use (and this article ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is silly to say otherwise), I also believe that it's less physically harmful than tobacco and alcohol (my current vices). I agree with the other five article points.

grodgil
05-28-2015, 10:49 AM
My opinion is that smoking anything (marijuana, tobacco, etc.) should be illegal. Along with Alcohol. But since that's never going to happen, my statement can't be taken seriously, haha.
If people truly want their marijuana fix, find another way of consuming it that doesn't involve smoking it.
I simply have a strong dislike for smoking of any kind, especially since of how it negatively impacts the lungs. People who have healthy lungs take their lungs for granted, and once they destroy their lungs with smoking, they'll regret even taking up that hobby excessively, I'm sure. People with lung conditions with that they had even started out with healthy lungs and I sort of feel disappointed with people that smoke, knowing they are destroying their perfectly healthy lungs.
Same concept for alcohol. Destroying your liver with something so unnecessary for the body such as alcohol is something I am very much against. Those of us that never had perfectly functioning kidneys and livers in the first place are disappointed when people take alcohol to the extreme (which is MANYYY people), so I think it is best to just ban alcohol altogether.
Also, all of this perspective comes from someone that doesn't even understand why alcohol and drugs are a necessity for people anyways. Just my thoughts.

Vines
05-29-2015, 12:25 AM
I think it should be legalized. As long as like alcohol, there are restrictions about driving or public drunkenness/highness.

The only reason that pot is a gateway drug is that you have to associate with or operate as a criminal element to get it, so the possibility of being offered or exposed to other drugs goes up. If you could just buy pot from a shop legally, there's no reason to have to conduct shady deals.

That being said: I don't do pot myself, nor do I drink or smoke even though I've been legally able to for several years. It's just not something that interests me. But I think that people should be able to smoke pot if that's something that they'd like to try so long as they do so responsibly and cause no harm.

Ph0enix
05-30-2015, 11:19 AM
While I think the legalization will increase use (and this article ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) is silly to say otherwise), I also believe that it's less physically harmful than tobacco and alcohol (my current vices). I agree with the other five article points.

I agree that it would increase use. Of course it will, people everywhere who have wanted to try it but wouldn't because it was illegal will get their chance! (:

I would rather live in a world of potheads than a world of alcoholics.

Mindfang
05-30-2015, 11:29 AM

you... say that like alcoholics choose to be alcoholics... lol...

Guy
05-30-2015, 11:46 AM
I think all recreational drugs should be banned tbh (including alcohol)

Teal
05-30-2015, 11:55 AM
It's hard for me to really say.

I myself am a marijuana smoker and I live in California, where we have dispensaries and you have to have paperwork AND be a resident to be able to purchase marijuana.
Of course, they make it real easy to obtain a medical card.

I like the idea of having a medical card required to smoke marijuana.
Fully legalized in all states... I'm 50/50 on that.

Skarl
05-30-2015, 12:08 PM
I agree that it would increase use. Of course it will, people everywhere who have wanted to try it but wouldn't because it was illegal will get their chance! (:

Exactly! seems safer to me

Ph0enix
05-30-2015, 03:16 PM
you... say that like alcoholics choose to be alcoholics... lol...

no I don't?

Jesedmoga
06-04-2015, 05:06 PM
It's been stated that Marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol, so I believe is nonsense to keep it illegal just because people still are uninformed about it.

riedy
08-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I think alcohol is worse than marijuana, so I never understood why it's illegal while alcohol is just fine. So many people died because of alcohol.

Elizaa
08-16-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm completely fine with it being legal for medical, as well as recreational usage.
But with recreational use, I think there should be a limit per person.

Naked Gamer
08-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Never used it but would like to see it legalise here in Aus for medical use as we don't even use that here :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misha
08-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Google the tax revenue it has produced for Colorado since decriminalization. Then Google the medical effects it can have. Then Google everything marijuana can be used for.

Then come and tell me why the hell it was illegal in the first place

Naked Gamer
08-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Google the tax revenue it has produced for Colorado since decriminalization. Then Google the medical effects it can have. Then Google everything marijuana can be used for.

Then come and tell me why the hell it was illegal in the first place

Yeah basically I'm hoping Australia changes it view on it for the right reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twistedfool
08-17-2015, 09:03 AM
I support both recreational and medical marijuana! Smoking pot is super fun and relaxing.

I do think that people should wait to smoke it until their brain develops completely, though!

Sci_Girl
08-17-2015, 09:32 AM

Another topic on marijuana for people to read over.

And another thread, I personally point out the science behind the substance.

This page, post #37, provides links to studies showing effects of marijuana smoking on brain development.

SweetSong
08-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Legalize it

/there

Poogles
08-18-2015, 02:46 PM
For though it's noy-t my kind of stuff

futosss
08-19-2015, 09:05 AM
For though it's noy-t my kind of stuff
What? Haha

Poogles
08-19-2015, 09:10 AM
What? Haha

I don't like the smell of marihuana and it makes me fucking tired
I prefer hash

futosss
08-19-2015, 09:13 AM
I don't like the smell of marihuana and it makes me fucking tired
I prefer hash
Not liking a smell of something isn't really a good reason to be against legalizing it haha

Also hash is a former of Marijuana therefore that would be legal too ha

Poogles
08-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Not liking a smell of something isn't really a good reason to be against legalizing it haha

Also hash is a former of Marijuana therefore that would be legal too ha

Please get your glasses checked because I said 'for', just that I don't like the smell and effects of marijuana or in another term weed

futosss
08-19-2015, 09:19 AM
I quoted you and said what because I couldn't understand what you said. Don't be rude.

Poogles
08-19-2015, 10:51 AM
That wasn't rude at all lmao fuck off

futosss
08-19-2015, 11:16 AM
That wasn't rude at all lmao fuck off
"Get your glasses checked" is, in fact, very rude.

Poogles
08-19-2015, 01:04 PM
That is not in my dictionary

I am truly sorry