PDA

View Full Version : Anti-vaccine movement

boomer
01-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Long story short, there's a recent outbreak of measles spreading out from Disneyland because people aren't vaccinating their kids.
Almost all of the people who got it weren't vaccinated. Two of them were babies too young, but the rest of them...

They think it causes autism. I think that is garbage bs. And in any case I'd rather be autistic than dead.
Jenny McCarthy, you are killing children.

Yeah, some people are too young. Some are allergic. Some people have some special condition so they can't have vaccines.
But that is why we need the rest of the population to have herd immunity. The increasing percentage of unvaccinated people is eroding that.

(Also, I live somewhat close to Disneyland and I don't want no fucking measles just in case I'm in that ~1% of the population where the vaccine doesn't work.)

Thoughts?

Lyric
01-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Vaccinate!! I highly agree with vaccination.

Read this, this is perfect.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Ghosts
01-13-2015, 07:49 PM

Fleur
01-13-2015, 08:07 PM
If you know even basic principles of the immune system, you would know that vaccines actually do what they're meant to do. Some people are stupid enough to think that their anecdotal evidence is enough to disprove vaccinations.

E.g. if you vaccinate for flu and still get the flu, it doesn't mean the vaccine didn't work. Since there are so many flu strains, it's not viable to insert all the strains into your body. So although you might get a vaccine for 1 strain, you might have gotten infected with another strain. Anyway, I kinda veered off a bit there but yeah vaccines are good ok.

Misha
01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Vaccinate!! I highly agree with vaccination.

Read this, this is perfect.

I read this too. I've just avoided the flu vaccine because it always made me super sick for a long time, and without getting it I haven't had the flu since.

Lyric
01-13-2015, 08:33 PM
I read this too. I've just avoided the flu vaccine because it always made me super sick for a long time, and without getting it I haven't had the flu since.

I've never had the flu vaccine and I've never had the flu, not that this is relevant. xD
Like Moon said, sometimes you get vaccinated for one strain but there are many strains of the flu out there.

|2eap
01-13-2015, 09:37 PM
lol Ghosts

ur so unreligious omg

boomer
01-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Heh they kinda guessed wrong this year for the flu vaccine, happens.

I don't get sick often so the flu doesn't concern me much but I'd like to go to Disneyland with my friends and their baby without it being ground zero of the next plague apocalypse movie or something.

tcas4200
01-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Autism report was a ploy for futher research funds. Source: From a 1st hand resource.

baileaf
01-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Omigosh this pisses me off SO MUCH. It's incredibly selfish of the parents to not vaccinate their children. It's not just their children that are affected when they choose not to, but MANY MANY others. Complete morons.

Nerevarine
01-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Ugh, I wish everyone would vaccinate their children and selves. It can so harmful to NOT vaccinate. There are some diseases we've nearly wiped out due to vaccines for christ's sake.

WaterWings
01-14-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm completely against vaccinations. Especially for the flu, <3.

Octopus
01-14-2015, 08:09 PM
This girl i work work doesn't give her child vaccines... and wonders why the poor thing gets deathly I'll every year

WaterWings
01-14-2015, 08:29 PM
This girl i work work doesn't give her child vaccines... and wonders why the poor thing gets deathly I'll every year

The Flu Vaccine doesn't work, it's based on strains in the previous year. Flu's mutate and are not the same strain as before, plus the other garbage that is in them is deadly. No thanks.

Read up on the Gardasil vaccine.

There are some that are beneficial while traveling, but honestly I choose them very carefully. Most do more harm than protect.

Cath
01-14-2015, 08:46 PM
The Flu Vaccine doesn't work, it's based on strains in the previous year. Flu's mutate and are not the same strain as before, plus the other garbage that is in them is deadly. No thanks.

There are some that are beneficial while traveling, but honestly I choose them very carefully. Most do more harm than protect.

"plus the other garbage that is in them is deadly"

is deadly? I wonder why we aren't extinct yet then.
I would gladly like to know what source your deduction comes from lol.

Water
01-14-2015, 08:51 PM
I guess no one really enjoys being vaccinated, however a short trip to the doctors/school can help prevent deadly diseases. My kids will be vaccinated, however if others do not want to vaccinate their kids they should suffer the consequences over time.

Fleur
01-14-2015, 09:31 PM

The flu vaccine does work on the specific strains that is in the vaccine. You're right about it mutating a lot, but the flu vaccine for every year is based off of predictions of which flus are most likely to get people sick. Why not reduce the chances of you getting sick? I haven't gotten a flu vaccine in years but that's because I'm lazy and very rarely go to the doctor, but that doesn't mean I think vaccines are "deadly". Also just wanted to add that although flus mutate, their previous strain is still alive. Mutations does not occur in a whole "population" of a flu strain, so there might be new strains that mutate from the previous strain, but the previous strain still exists. Sorry if I worded it weirdly.

I just checked out the ingredients for vaccines located here: [Only registered and activated users can see links] and see no "deadly garbage" you speak of. Sure formaldehyde is very bad, but only in very high concentrations (likely only found in preserved bodies, but if you're in contact with preserved bodies, you most likely know the safety protocol regarding formaldehyde anyway). All the ingredients that are in vaccines are there for a reason, such as formaldehyde since it's needed to deactivate the virus in question so that it doesn't infect your body.

Read up on this also: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Vaccines are used so that your body builds up an immunity to it. If you look at history, vaccines have helped a number of viruses from infecting people. To say that vaccines are "bad" for you without any evidence backing it up is pretty illogical.

Misha
01-14-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm just going to point out that you won't be able to change someone's mind about something if they believe differently than you do. I've learned not to debate, and agree to disagree.

Fleur
01-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Misha it's not about believing something differently though. I don't think debating/discussing differing views is a bad thing. Sure their opinions might not change, but to spread/believe in misinformation is ridiculous and I think it's ok to point that out.

boomer
01-14-2015, 10:09 PM
I spent my childhood in another country. They don't give you the choice to opt out there lol, you line the fuck up in school and they shoot you right up. I'll thank them for it now that I'm old enough to understand.

As for the "harmful chemicals" in those vaccines...ok there are mercury atoms in there. There's also probably more mercury in that tuna on your sushi last night than in all the vaccines you would get. Also, table salt is made with atoms that would spontaneously combust and choke you with toxic fumes. Chemistry!

I do understand some about the flu vaccine, it is bad when they guess wrong, and the flu does kill a lot of people each year regardless. Right now, I am afraid of needles and I don't get sick much.

Once I get older though and my immune system goes to shit you can bet your ass I will go protect myself :(

Misha
01-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Misha it's not about believing something differently though. I don't think debating/discussing differing views is a bad thing. Sure their opinions might not change, but to spread/believe in misinformation is ridiculous and I think it's ok to point that out.

I completely agree. I think friendly debate and accurate representation of facts are good ways to communicate an issue. Although, a lot of times, I see it descend into am altercation; and I'd hate to see that here so I was just pointing out that opinions don't usually change whether facts are presented or not. No biggie lol

baileaf
01-14-2015, 11:12 PM
It's not the people who don't get flu vaccines that bug me. I totally get not wanting to get one, be it that you just don't agree with them or maybe even have a bad reaction to the vaccine. My manager at work can't get the vaccine because something in it doesn't react right with her body and she basically gets the flu or worse if she gets the shot. There's definitely no way that I'm in danger of dying if I get a flu shot though. That's just ridiculous.

It's the vaccines that children get that concern me the most. The MMR vaccine (sooo important to get), meningitis, and quite a few others. I do not want to die of a disease that I could have prevented with a simple shot, nor would I want to subject my future children to that. I'm really concerned for any kids that I'll have in the future if there's a huge outbreak of PREVENTABLE diseases going around like measles and they are too young to vaccinate. I would like to not go back a few hundred years when children dying was a common thing because of these diseases.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but I get really heated when it comes to this stuff. Children have no say in what they can do for the most part. It's up to their parents to protect and educate them on this kind of thing. Don't be selfish and listen to the few crazies who think you can get autism from a vaccine.

WaterWings
01-15-2015, 05:30 PM
"plus the other garbage that is in them is deadly"

is deadly? I wonder why we aren't extinct yet then.
I would gladly like to know what source your deduction comes from lol.

Canadian College of Natural Nutrition, Also you can look for peer reviewed journal articles. Most vaccines have mercury in them. You most likely aren't going to drop dead after getting one, but it does to harm to your immune system and cognitive functions. Many people have adverse reactions, i'm against pharmaceuticals as well. If you use Natural methods you can build your immune system to combat these flus etc.

The last time I got a vaccine was when H1N1 was out, and I nearly died. I missed 3 months of University, and laid on the floor for half of it too weak to move. So from studies and personal experience. I am not saying you have to agree with me, but many do more harm than help.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

It's not the people who don't get flu vaccines that bug me. I totally get not wanting to get one, be it that you just don't agree with them or maybe even have a bad reaction to the vaccine. My manager at work can't get the vaccine because something in it doesn't react right with her body and she basically gets the flu or worse if she gets the shot. There's definitely no way that I'm in danger of dying if I get a flu shot though. That's just ridiculous.

It's the vaccines that children get that concern me the most. The MMR vaccine (sooo important to get), meningitis, and quite a few others. I do not want to die of a disease that I could have prevented with a simple shot, nor would I want to subject my future children to that. I'm really concerned for any kids that I'll have in the future if there's a huge outbreak of PREVENTABLE diseases going around like measles and they are too young to vaccinate. I would like to not go back a few hundred years when children dying was a common thing because of these diseases.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but I get really heated when it comes to this stuff. Children have no say in what they can do for the most part. It's up to their parents to protect and educate them on this kind of thing. Don't be selfish and listen to the few crazies who think you can get autism from a vaccine.

It's not crazy, people are affected by vaccines in different ways. I am by no means bashing those who want to use vaccines, but I don't believe in them. The children dying thing, well for one, people are way more hygienic when it comes to today. Also, food is stored in different means which also contributes to the lower rates of people getting sick. There's a balance between MD's and ND's and I personally have seen some horrible reactions to vaccines.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

I spent my childhood in another country. They don't give you the choice to opt out there lol, you line the fuck up in school and they shoot you right up. I'll thank them for it now that I'm old enough to understand.

As for the "harmful chemicals" in those vaccines...ok there are mercury atoms in there. There's also probably more mercury in that tuna on your sushi last night than in all the vaccines you would get. Also, table salt is made with atoms that would spontaneously combust and choke you with toxic fumes. Chemistry!

I do understand some about the flu vaccine, it is bad when they guess wrong, and the flu does kill a lot of people each year regardless. Right now, I am afraid of needles and I don't get sick much.

Once I get older though and my immune system goes to shit you can bet your ass I will go protect myself :(

Eating things that contain Mercury is completely different than having it injected.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

But also, on that note... I would recommend older people get vaccines. Mainly because like you said, immune systems do get weaker. And at certain ages, you won't be around long enough to deal with side effects.

boomer
01-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Eating things that contain Mercury is completely different than having it injected.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

But also, on that note... I would recommend older people get vaccines. Mainly because like you said, immune systems do get weaker. And at certain ages, you won't be around long enough to deal with side effects.

I know the mercury thing but that is the justification I hear from the anti-vaccine front, that mercury is bad regardless. Chemistryyyyyy!

When I'm 85 I will get all them vaccines, but if someone says I need a hip replacement I'll pass. Get me a wheelchair and a cute male nurse to wheel me around.
Gotta be picky with what treatments you get when you're old!

The thing about immune systems though is that the very young are just as bad as the old but...and they can have their whole lives ahead of them. But the very young can't make their own decisions for things like this. It's up to the parents.

Mayuri
01-15-2015, 08:26 PM
One of my teachers said the guy who made up that autism crap even admitted to his phony claims and is still giving out talks to schools about how it's all real.

I simply don't see why people wouldn't give their children vaccines. It's a whole lot better than actually ending up with measles or other sort of diseases.

sterk
01-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Should you get vaccinated? ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) Yes.

I think that the antivax movement has had such success in part because vaccines are too effective. We never see kids anymore who have to wear braces on their legs because polio deformed them, or people blinded and scarred by smallpox blisters. Vaccines successfully eradicated these diseases.

Not immunizing yourself or your kids doesn't just put you at risk, it also means that once you are infected you then spread the disease to people downstream who never would have got it if you didn't. This includes infants and elderly people, people with reduced immune systems, people who had the vaccine but it didn't take, people with allergies who couldn't get the vaccine. Herd immunity only works if most of the herd is vaccinated.

Of course there are risks. But the risk of adverse reactions like death from a vaccine are much lower than the risks of death from the diseases you are being vaccinated against. If vaccines were really as dangerous as some people claim, wouldn't we have seen the results in the decades worth of people who have had routine vaccinations? Here's a short Penn and Teller video ([Only registered and activated users can see links]**TZQvuCo) on the dangers of vaccines.

Elf
01-17-2015, 08:14 PM
I can't believe this is even an argument honestly. Vaccinations are so beneficial and such an amazing medical technology scientists have developed.

felis.noctua
01-19-2015, 01:00 AM

BEST REPLY EVER! Stop the presses. I was really hoping someone would pop up with the science early on, and you sir, are my favorite person right this minute.
Vaccines don't cause autism. They don't know what does cause it, but they know a whole lot of things that don't, and vaccines are not it. Vaccines do, however, save a tons of lives. I use to be ok with people not getting them (natural selection, you have your targets) but then I learned about the risk to others. It's plain negligence. Disgusting, awful, ignorant, negligence.

Hawaii
01-19-2015, 02:37 AM
It doesn't make a difference to me. I'm neither pro nor anti; reading some of the replies to this thread has seriously concerned me.

I'm 22 & I'm not immunized. In my opinion, it's up to parents to decide whether or not their kids will receive vaccines & I think it's incredibly rude for people to call them stupid or selfish for choosing not to. Cultural or religious perspectives & personal preferences don't make somebody stupid. It's arrogant & ignorant to say they are! No one should be made to feel bad for what they choose to do with their kids. Yeah, that's a "deadly" mentality to have, but that's the way life works. You like vaccines? Vaccinate your kids. You don't? Then be prepared for what could happen.

Because of my personal experiences, I'm 50/50 on the subject. Several of you mentioned how the flu shot is only something like 23% effective this year. A young boy where I live got his & the flu still nearly killed him. Someone I know is vaccinated & had shingles - 3 times. I've been asked by how & why I was even allowed to attend school, yet I've never had the chickenpox, the flu, whooping cough, or anything else most people are vaccinated for. I figure I'm no worse off than anyone else. There are people living in developed countries with vaccines who still die from diarrhea! Buuuut, if I were to get pregnant, I'd get vaccinated then to protect myself & more than likely vaccinate my kid.

My thoughts wrapped up: I accept & respect both sides. If you're vaccinated, don't depend on that alone & be aware that people without vaccines are not responsible for epidemics. If you're not vaccinated, don't whine when you get the mumps, chickenpox as an adult, or meningitis. Simple.

baileaf
01-19-2015, 09:08 AM
It doesn't make a difference to me. I'm neither pro nor anti; reading some of the replies to this thread has seriously concerned me.

I'm 22 & I'm not immunized. In my opinion, it's up to parents to decide whether or not their kids will receive vaccines & I think it's incredibly rude for people to call them stupid or selfish for choosing not to. Cultural or religious perspectives & personal preferences don't make somebody stupid. It's arrogant & ignorant to say they are! No one should be made to feel bad for what they choose to do with their kids. Yeah, that's a "deadly" mentality to have, but that's the way life works. You like vaccines? Vaccinate your kids. You don't? Then be prepared for what could happen.

Because of my personal experiences, I'm 50/50 on the subject. Several of you mentioned how the flu shot is only something like 23% effective this year. A young boy where I live got his & the flu still nearly killed him. Someone I know is vaccinated & had shingles - 3 times. I've been asked by how & why I was even allowed to attend school, yet I've never had the chickenpox, the flu, whooping cough, or anything else most people are vaccinated for. I figure I'm no worse off than anyone else. There are people living in developed countries with vaccines who still die from diarrhea! Buuuut, if I were to get pregnant, I'd get vaccinated then to protect myself & more than likely vaccinate my kid.

My thoughts wrapped up: I accept & respect both sides. If you're vaccinated, don't depend on that alone & be aware that people without vaccines are not responsible for epidemics. If you're not vaccinated, don't whine when you get the mumps, chickenpox as an adult, or meningitis. Simple.

I would like to point out that by choosing not to vaccinate, other people other than yourself are at risk. They can be responsible for epidemics. If I had a baby and they got measles because they were exposed to those old enough to get the vaccine whose parents decided not to, I'd be insanely furious. It's plain selfish on the parents part. I get not vaccinating for religious reasons, but if you're one of those idiotic parents who still believe that you can get autism from these vaccinations when evidence clearly suggests that it's not true, shame on you.

felis.noctua
01-19-2015, 11:40 AM

I'm 22 & I'm not immunized. In my opinion, it's up to parents to decide whether or not their kids will receive vaccines & I think it's incredibly rude for people to call them stupid or selfish for choosing not to. Cultural or religious perspectives & personal preferences don't make somebody stupid. ...

I'm not sure they're stupid, but they are ignorant. They don't understand the repercussions of what's really happening, they don't understand the science. If they simply don't understand because no one's explained it to them, yes, they're ignorant. If they had it explained to them and they still don't believe it or believe some religious power is going to stand in place of that, then yes, they're stupid. Not vaccinating isn't just letting your kid ride around without a helmet, it's stealing or damaging the helmets of children around your kid. It risks the health and lives of children too young to get vaccinated, or people that cannot be vaccinated due to either being immunocompromised or being that rare minority allergic to some component of the vaccination. They survive through herd immunity and good hygiene. The fact that you never got any vaccinatable disease is a testament to that herd immunity. Imagine now if someone else hadn't vaccinated, but they did catch Rubella. Then gave it to you. You get the nice easy rash and joint pain. No problem. You don't even stay home, you're icky but not sicky. Then you pass that virus to a pregnant woman in the grocery store. Birth defects if acquired by a pregnant woman: deafness, cataracts, heart defects, mental retardation, and liver and spleen damage (at least a 20% chance of damage to the fetus if a woman is infected early in pregnancy) (1). That baby now suffers for the rest of it's life, because your mom didn't trust in the science that's trying to protect you from pain and anguish like that. If they do this knowingly, it's beyond stupid.

If your culture teaches you that medicine is bad juju, you throw away that part of your culture! Remaining in the dark ages is not a requirement of appreciating or practicing heritage! You shouldn't have to risk your child's, or anyone else's child's, life to celebrate your culture. Doesn't that make sense?

1. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Chanchans
01-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Vaccinate ! Sometimes I believe the world to have smarts.. then stuff like this happens. Then you realize yep they dumbass.

Ghosts
01-20-2015, 05:05 PM

Saw that on reddit today, had to post it lol

iAirHeartz
01-20-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that the person who originally came up with the theory that vaccinating causes autism got discredited and isn't allowed to do science-y medical stuff anymore (tho I don't know where to find a source for that).

felis.noctua
01-31-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that the person who originally came up with the theory that vaccinating causes autism got discredited and isn't allowed to do science-y medical stuff anymore (tho I don't know where to find a source for that).

Dr. Andrew Wakefield published a garbage paper in 1998, that the publishing journal (Lancet) later formally retracted (1). He " the original research paper, had multiple undeclared conflicts of interest,[2][3] had manipulated evidence,[4] and had broken other ethical codes (2). He was banned from practicing medicine in England, in 2010 (3).

"In January, after the longest investigation in its history, the council found several instances of what it said was unprofessional conduct by Dr. Wakefield. It cited his taking blood samples for his study from children at his son’s birthday party; he paid each child �5, about $7.20 today, and joked about it later. It also noted that part of the costs of Dr. Wakefield’s research was paid by lawyers for parents seeking to sue vaccine makers for damages." (3)

Here's a fun read: A scientific paper reporting the results of presenting people with falsely balanced (think, teach the controversy) science and real science! "Results suggest that balancing conflicting views of the autism-vaccine controversy may lead readers to erroneously infer the state of expert knowledge regarding vaccine safety and negatively impact vaccine intentions."

(1) [Only registered and activated users can see links]

(2) (Ew, wikipedia, but it's faster than linking the three news articles). [Only registered and activated users can see links]

(3) [Only registered and activated users can see links]

For how this horrifying spectacle has affected a family with both a child too young to get vaccinated, and an immunocompromised baby with cancer, read this saddening article.

(Wow, that's a lot of links, but things should have citations, don't you think!)

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

OMG OMG I just read this comic, and since I'd just replied to this topic, I want to share it!

Munna
02-01-2015, 08:47 AM
I think the whole vaccination thing honestly should be happening for children of a certain age (ones for extreme sickness and disease), but I did hear horrible things about that Guardacil (is that even how you spell it haha) and with doctors coming forward saying that had knowledge that the vaccine did in fact have adverse effects on young girls.

I don't know, I think all of the pro-vaccine arguments make much more sense for the health and safety of our children, but I am such a conspiracy/government paranoid mess and I think all of these articles and people are just lying to us for their better interest or money. I don't know why I think nothing is true on the internet anymore, take that up with my therapist lol

MissMellon
02-03-2015, 01:51 PM
As my Bio professor put it "As soon as your "rights" start endangering others they cross the line. If you really want to be a human incubator fine, but I'm not getting sick for it." Vaccines have wiped away so many deadly things you can catch and by not vaccination all that is being ruined. The opt out policy is crazy, yes there are some people who react really badly to them! Which makes it even better for everyone else to get it, if no one around you is sick you have a better shot at not contracting it as well!

bluevitriol
02-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Here you go :)

Hawaii
02-12-2015, 08:23 PM

I would like to point out that by choosing not to vaccinate, other people other than yourself are at risk. They can be responsible for epidemics. If I had a baby and they got measles because they were exposed to those old enough to get the vaccine whose parents decided not to, I'd be insanely furious. It's plain selfish on the parents part. I get not vaccinating for religious reasons, but if you're one of those idiotic parents who still believe that you can get autism from these vaccinations when evidence clearly suggests that it's not true, shame on you.

& I'd like to point out that people with them can (& still do) get sick, too. People without them are not solely responsible for epidemics. The reason I'm not vaccinated is not related to religion or fear of autism. I'm just not. You don't have to like it, but it's still not your place to tell other people to do with their kids.

baileaf
02-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Hawaii Look up herd immunity.

I'm not "telling" anyone what to do. Just stating my opinion based on every single thing I have read when it comes to vaccines. Like I said, it's very selfish to put others at risk who are not able to be vaccinated for medical reasons or due to their young age.

learningtoneopet1
02-12-2015, 08:53 PM
& I'd like to point out that people with them can (& still do) get sick, too. People without them are not solely responsible for epidemics. The reason I'm not vaccinated is not related to religion or fear of autism. I'm just not. You don't have to like it, but it's still not your place to tell other people to do with their kids.

It is our place to tell people what to do with their kids. Why in the world is it justified for someone to not vaccinate their kids? First off, they're going to get things much worse than autism. I understand that may not be the reason why you're not vaccinated, but it's the reason so many other people aren't. Some people try not to vaccinate their kids for anything. Guess what that means they can get? Measles, polio, smallpox, and so much more. All of these were either eradicated from the US or almost completely eradicated. All of them can destroy someone's life. If someone who isn't vaccinated for measles contracts it and spreads it to a newborn baby who can't even get the vaccine, then that is just plain stupidity. How would you feel if you were exposed and gave it to children who couldn't even defend themselves? How would you feel if they then proceeded to die or have life-long consequences just because you didn't get vaccinated? That's fucking selfish and no one deserves to have the right to choose not to vaccinate their kid for diseases of this sort.

icebox
02-12-2015, 09:10 PM
I'm so done with this debate

I'm a nurse

I see the damage that the attitudes of the anti-vaccine movement is doing, ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

If you had an immunocompromised kid, such as one with an immune disorder, one who was going through chemo, or one who was on immunosuppressant drugs due to a recent transplant, would you want to be waving them around unvaccinated children who are potential carriers of e.g. measles? No. Measles kills, and measles definitely kills immunocompromised people. I have worked with the immunocompromised and they are so goddamn fragile. Any parent who chooses to opt out of the MMR scheme is a direct threat to these people's safety.

Anyway, here are some useful resources before I blow my fucking stack:

Jessica
02-13-2015, 05:01 PM
My small input... That I saw somewhere else...

"My kid can't bring peanut butter to school... Why can yours bring measles?"

On that note, my son is vaccinated. Before he was old enough for vaccines his cousin got him sick and he got RSV. That can kill an infant. Imagine it was whooping cough? I'm pro-vaccine, but to each their own.

Virus
02-13-2015, 07:07 PM
#1 get your kid fucking vaccinated
#2 if you were worried about having an autistic child, maybe you should have done research before you got knocked up

someone linked this ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) here a while back and i cried laughing, and have been sharing it with everyone.

tf4trftf43
02-15-2015, 11:17 AM
the anti vaccine movement pisses me off. get your kid vaccinated for fucks sake! if you don't not only are they at risk for catching things, other kids are too and as icebox said, things like measles can KILL kids with immune disorders! not getting your kid vaccinated=irresponsible parenting imo.

Charlie
02-17-2015, 12:42 PM
My small input... That I saw somewhere else...

"My kid can't bring peanut butter to school... Why can yours bring measles?"

On that note, my son is vaccinated. Before he was old enough for vaccines his cousin got him sick and he got RSV. That can kill an infant. Imagine it was whooping cough? I'm pro-vaccine, but to each their own.

That quote.. I LOVE IT! It's so true. We protect other kids from their allergies, so we should also protect kids from other illnesses. Thank you for sharing :)

Hey5forum
02-18-2015, 03:40 AM
I have researched this issue for some time and I find anyone who gives a little bit of self investigation can come to a pretty reasonable understanding. I do believe Vaccinations are important for deadly or incurable infections such as polio. However giving a child Hep B when they are so young is unwise and should not be given until at least 12-15 years of age. I believe that with the HPV Vac too. Measles is a viral infection but the death rate is very minimal so one has to assume what the risks vs benefits are. I also think vaccinations should be spread out more during childhood rather than getting 3-5 shots all in one day. The shots should spread out over two years. One cannot argue the great benefit from Vaccinations but I also think we shouldn't ignore the health concern of over vaccinating children/adults.

spleef35
02-19-2015, 07:05 PM
My feeling is this: There is no scientific reason not to vaccinate your children. Period.

What infuriates me, is the people who believe the bogus "study" that claims vaccines cause autism. I live with autism every day, and no one has any business telling me where I got autism from, aside from legitimate neuroscientists and neurologists who have studied autism first-hand. It is passed to our children through genetics. The cause of autism spectrum disorders is an enlarged amygdala (the amygdala continues to grow past the age when it should have stopped growing), and some abnormalities in the frontal lobe. Think of it like this: The amygdala is the emotional epicenter of the human brain. So an enlarged amygdala will produce more emotions. The amygdala also sits up against the sensory and motor cortexes, so that sensory experiences and motor experiences can be associated with emotion. In my case, I get an "emotional high" from painting with oils and watercolors. I also cannot be touched by other people, because the sensation is either painful, or feels like I have bugs crawling on me.

I appreciate parents doing research, I really do. But I think our culture, at least in the United States, has developed "perfect parent" syndrome. Everything from parents accusing other parents of child abuse on facebook (when they have done NOTHING wrong), to the parents who put other people's kids at risk because they think they know better than doctors. This is not research, this is paranoia and stupidity.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I'm so done with this debate

I'm a nurse

I see the damage that the attitudes of the anti-vaccine movement is doing, ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

If you had an immunocompromised kid, such as one with an immune disorder, one who was going through chemo, or one who was on immunosuppressant drugs due to a recent transplant, would you want to be waving them around unvaccinated children who are potential carriers of e.g. measles? No. Measles kills, and measles definitely kills immunocompromised people. I have worked with the immunocompromised and they are so goddamn fragile. Any parent who chooses to opt out of the MMR scheme is a direct threat to these people's safety.

Anyway, here are some useful resources before I blow my fucking stack:

Thank you.

spleef35
02-20-2015, 11:45 AM
I think the whole vaccination thing honestly should be happening for children of a certain age (ones for extreme sickness and disease), but I did hear horrible things about that Guardacil (is that even how you spell it haha) and with doctors coming forward saying that had knowledge that the vaccine did in fact have adverse effects on young girls.

I don't know, I think all of the pro-vaccine arguments make much more sense for the health and safety of our children, but I am such a conspiracy/government paranoid mess and I think all of these articles and people are just lying to us for their better interest or money. I don't know why I think nothing is true on the internet anymore, take that up with my therapist lol

I have the Gardasil vaccine. The fact that we have a vaccine to combat cervical cancer is incredible. There have been adverse effects, yes, but I would rather take that tiny chance than put my body at risk for getting cervical cancer, which is deadly.

Some women who have gotten the vaccine believe it means they don't have to go see an OB GYN anymore. That's irresponsible. Granted, I don't go unless I am actively dating, but anyone who is hypersensitive, has autism or other reasons for being uncomfortable with having their body touched, can probably understand why I avoid PAP tests. This topic right here, is one of many reasons people used not to get the Gardasil vaccine.

learningtoneopet1
02-20-2015, 06:16 PM
I heard a lady say yesterday how her kid with down syndrome got it because of a vaccine... I tried to explain to her how it was a result of an extra chromosome in the 21st set, and she just looked at me like I was an idiot. Completely ignorant people will get nowhere...

Ph0enix
02-26-2015, 07:36 PM
This is actually one of those really big issues that shouldn't be. Why in the hell would anyone believe vaccines are related to Autism when EVERY CHILD HAS HAD THE VACCINE, yet only some have Autism. I feel like people are just looking for something to blame because they have no other answers. Meanwhile, children are dying everywhere because their parents are invalids. I think it's the stupidest issue alive today.

spleef35
02-27-2015, 08:37 PM
This is actually one of those really big issues that shouldn't be. Why in the hell would anyone believe vaccines are related to Autism when EVERY CHILD HAS HAD THE VACCINE, yet only some have Autism. I feel like people are just looking for something to blame because they have no other answers. Meanwhile, children are dying everywhere because their parents are invalids. I think it's the stupidest issue alive today.

Quoting myself:
What infuriates me, is the people who believe the bogus "study" that claims vaccines cause autism. I live with autism every day, and no one has any business telling me where I got autism from, aside from legitimate neuroscientists and neurologists who have studied autism first-hand. It is passed to our children through genetics. The cause of autism spectrum disorders is an enlarged amygdala (the amygdala continues to grow past the age when it should have stopped growing), and some abnormalities in the frontal lobe. Think of it like this: The amygdala is the emotional epicenter of the human brain. So an enlarged amygdala will produce more emotions. The amygdala also sits up against the sensory and motor cortexes, so that sensory experiences and motor experiences can be associated with emotion. In my case, I get an "emotional high" from painting with oils and watercolors. I also cannot be touched by other people, because the sensation is either painful, or feels like I have bugs crawling on me.

This is the amygdala autism theory. We can now diagnose autism with an MRI. This has increased cases of autism because it is easier to find, as well as properly diagnosing people who have spend most of their lives misdiagnosed. I'm not saying you believe vaccines cause autism, it's only that you said we don't know the cause of autism, which has been a popular argument in favor of vaccines. I think argument started when Sanjay Gupta went on CNN and said "We don't know he cause of autism..." I'm so over television doctors, like Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz. I'm sure we'll find out soon that Dr. Gupta has some connection to Oprah.

IrishCreme
02-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Vaccinate your kids or home school em.

WE don't need anymore dead elementary school kids due to neglectful parents

baileaf
02-28-2015, 04:41 PM
This is perfect!

TheLargeOne
02-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Omigosh this pisses me off SO MUCH. It's incredibly selfish of the parents to not vaccinate their children. It's not just their children that are affected when they choose not to, but MANY MANY others. Complete morons.

That cat is too cute...

And yeah, people really need to take Biology courses before taking sides on the vaccination issue. I hate the fact that stupid parents lead the detrimental effects on their children.

Clear
04-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I never really understood that sentiment. That parents would rather risk their child getting an illness that could kill them than risk them getting autism (which vaccinations don't even cause). smh
As a Biologist student, I can't even.
As an older sibling to two young kids with autism - I really can't even. Would I rather them be dead than how they are now? lol, really...

haiqtpi
04-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Quoting myself:

This is the amygdala autism theory. We can now diagnose autism with an MRI. This has increased cases of autism because it is easier to find, as well as properly diagnosing people who have spend most of their lives misdiagnosed. I'm not saying you believe vaccines cause autism, it's only that you said we don't know the cause of autism, which has been a popular argument in favor of vaccines. I think argument started when Sanjay Gupta went on CNN and said "We don't know he cause of autism..." I'm so over television doctors, like Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz. I'm sure we'll find out soon that Dr. Gupta has some connection to Oprah.

As someone in the field of behavioral neuroscience, I totally agree with the "dumbing down" of science by television doctors - it is quite an injustice. All it takes is one study being given the spotlight, and misinformation spreads like wildfire, take the "Mozart effect" for example. There are many contributing factors to autism, including a genetic component, though I do not believe that people truly understand human development in terms of the brain and chemical/nutrient transfer from mother/environment to child. I think that when you understand the infinite permutations of "damaging" factors that a woman can come into contact with over the course of a pregnancy (let alone "bad" dna that she can be passing on), attempting to blame any one thing is quite silly. Before people can even enter this debate, they should undergo proper education on neuroplasticity and development before lending their clout (in terms of celebrities) to the mix. Even if someone embraced the amygdala hypothesis, an enlarged amygdala is featured in many psychopathologies. There is NOTHING more frustrating to me than reading an article or seeing on television, people who are simply not properly educated in the science of this, proposing idiotic opinions as something other than what they are...idiotic opinions. Seeing interviews with these parents makes me sick - and they are putting the health of others at risk. If you want to be a danger to society, go live in a commune with other like-minded morons and let a simple pathogen wipe you all out. Too much freedom is given to these people who are doing nothing but jeopardizing the health of others.

TwistyBR
05-05-2015, 08:26 AM
vaccines are all for the greater good , people who dont support it sometimes are so selfish