PDA

View Full Version : The beginners guide to making a guide

Khelddar
12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
The beginners guide to making a guide.

I made this guide a while ago and thought that it would be helpful to users who haven't made a guide before.

When you write your first guide and your not sure what to do take a look as this guide to help you write your own guide.

First things first - Pick a topic

You don’t have to be an expert on the topic that you pick; sometimes writing a guide is as much about help yourself as helping other people.

Some good topic for beginners are games, shops, stock market or anything that you think you are good at and other people might benefit from knowing what you have learnt.

Secondly - Research

Before you start writing you guide you need to research you topic. Looking on other neopet help sites is fine; you just have to be able to put it into your own words.

Links are always handy so make sure that you have a few if you need them as it always helps others to simply click on a link rather than find it for them selves.

Thirdly - Keep it Simple

You don’t need to make you guide impossible to read, the less slang or hard to understand words the better. After all remember that even if you are writing the guide to help yourself, if you post it on clraik you need to make sure that everyone that reads it can understand it.

Fourth - Write a draft

Write a rough draft of your guide, this always helps you as you can then see what you need to change and what you need to take out.

Fifth - Fonts

Fonts are an important part of any guide. They don’t need to be fancy the just need to highlight the important parts of you guide, like heading and sub headings.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Sixth - Google is you Friend

If you get stuck and you need to know the answer to something, like what HTML code do i use, then google it.

Seventh - Spell check

When writing a guide make sure that you have gone back and spellchecked it and after you have, read it at least twice as spell check can still miss things.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Eighth - Pictures

Pictures are always good for guides and if it is Neo related its never to hard to find some pictures related to your guide.

Lastly - Post it

Once you are happy with how it has turned out then you can post it. If you do post and see a mistake or someone points one out then you can always use the edit button to fix anything up.

P.S

If this guide helped you make a guide, let me know and i'll link to your guide. It might even be worth of a rep. Good luck guide writing :)

Tinill
12-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Nice guide, man :)

jongeh
12-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Brb, just making a quick guide for this. Only joking :p

Well written.

Zane
12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Nice guide!

You might want to add something about adding pictures to the guide and giving credit where there is needed.

Slasher
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Maybe put images? I understand better sometimes when I SEE how to do things! :P

Khelddar
12-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Im going away just after christmas but after that ill try and improve the guide. Thanks for the suggestions

Khelddar
01-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Updated a few things, If more picture are need can you PM me or leave a msg on what pictures it need.

kidninja
01-22-2012, 03:00 PM
thank for make guide

Khelddar
03-24-2012, 09:11 PM
updated again

goodieboy
04-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Great guide! I'll try writing one soon

caonima
04-21-2012, 08:09 AM
thanks for the guide. It looks like some guideception :)

thequeen
04-22-2012, 12:56 AM
awesome guide! I LOLed too :P

Khelddar
08-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks for your kind word's

Great guide! I'll try writing one soon
If you have written one let me know and I'll link to it :)

LuizRenanFB
08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
nice guide

goodieboy
08-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your kind word's

If you have written one let me know and I'll link to it :)

Um sorry to disturb, I'm rather noob and I don't really know how to add pics, like for example when I take a screenshot and I wanna edit it (say cut out the relevant part) without using photoshop, how to I upload onto pastebin or any other image hosting sites? Will +rep again :)

Khelddar
08-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Um sorry to disturb, I'm rather noob and I don't really know how to add pics, like for example when I take a screenshot and I wanna edit it (say cut out the relevant part) without using photoshop, how to I upload onto pastebin or any other image hosting sites? Will +rep again :)
I personal suggest using photobucket. you have to create an account, which is free and then there is an upload button you can press to upload photo's at the top of the screen when logged in. you than can browse your computer for the photo or image and once uploaded you can edit them on photobucket. then to put the photo's on a forum post just go back to your album have your cursor over the photo you want and copy the link.

might not be on for the next few days but if you get stuck just create a help thread in the help section and the clraikers will help you :)