PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have the Microsoft Surface?

I_royalty_I
10-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Anybody have one? What do you think about it?

The main laptop that I use at home is getting kinda beat up, and I want to have a laptop for class. I'm always carrying my laptop around the house, running it into things here and there. I was thinking about getting a tablet, but I thought something like the Surface might be something interesting to consider too.

Thoughts? :)

dexter1ty
10-11-2014, 05:18 PM
I have a Surface RT that I bought for fun. I barely used it and was too lazy to sell. Touch cover is shit, only the type cover is usable. The touchpad is very shit and you're better off just touching the screen directly for most things. You're limited to only Internet Explorer. Office works great, relatively portable, sturdy, but sluggish. You have pretty much no apps whatsoever. For tablet usage, I prefer using my iPad Air or Nexus 7 (2013). Just works better in almost any situation besides office tasks. Web browsing is even better than the standard Surface because IE is absolutely shit.

BUT, I'd be willing to buy a Surface Pro and not the standard version if I was in the market again for another device. Pro is pretty much a standard Windows set up and not gimped in any way. You can install whatever you want.

|2eap
10-11-2014, 05:34 PM
yea same i bought one for funsie too when they had a refurbish sale.

honestly its fun and all, but when it comes to neo stuff you'd be better off with another laptop.

as for school, it should do the trick no problem.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

agreed on surface pro too.

you cant really do that much with a surface rt. not for the tech savy

I_royalty_I
10-11-2014, 05:42 PM
dexter1ty - The one that you have is the original one I think, right?

I'd be looking at either the surface 2 or surface 3. It looks like both of them are able to function like a normal laptop. I hate IE too, and I'm pretty sure that chrome can be installed in the ones I'm looking at. I wanna go in and see how they feel befor I buy too. I like that they are fairly portable, but not sure if that is a big enough benefit to sacrifice some of the other features.
At least Office works nicely, that would probably be one of the main things I would use it for. I guess they can only make that better in these newer models.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

|2eap - -you ninaja posted in there while I was typing up my post. But this would be solely for school stuff. I'd be keeping all my neo stuff on my normal laptop. I figure it would have two benefits... wouldn't bog down my new one with a ton of info, and if I don't have neo shit at my fingers I can focus more on what I need to focus on. I'm too easily distracted. haha

I have windows 8 on my system right now, always thought it was more set up for a mobile platform. I'd love to take advantage of that with something like the surface, just gotta think whether its worth it or not.

bridgez
10-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Got the original Surface Pro with the soft material (detachable keyboard and touchpad/cover) and I kind regretted it. Like Dex I kinda just haven't used it and been too lazy to wipe and sell. xD

I don't like the idea of using it for anything other than casual use and the price doesn't really make it worthwhile in my opinion.

You should be good using it for school stuff. :P

Fleur
10-11-2014, 07:18 PM
I got my hands on a Surface Pro (original) and it was heavy as fuck. I wouldn't enjoy lugging that around uni at all. :/ The only thing I bring to my classes is an iPad + a bluetooth keyboard, works wonders. :P

dexter1ty
10-11-2014, 07:45 PM
The standard version of Surface runs RT and with RT, the OS gimped to hell and there is nothing to do. You'd have to look at the Surface Pro line which runs normal Windows and it gets pretty expensive. An alternative to all of this are the laptops that can twist about like the Lenovo Yoga/Flex. The Flex and similar products are pretty cheap relative to the Surface.

Absinthe
11-10-2014, 07:14 AM
I got one for sale. The original rt