PDA

View Full Version : What kind of instruments do ya'll play!?

domsquared
10-01-2014, 01:07 AM
Just curious to see how many musicians we have here ;D

I play Flute and Piccolo currently and have been since I was 12 (yay for high pitched, screeching, annoying woodwinds!)

I have a violin I somewhat know how to play~ (Hey, at least I know where the notes are...)

and I know how to play the chimes/marimba/xylophone >> (got stuck doing it during marching band back in high school)

And for the non-musicians, what instrument WOULD you want to learn? Guitar? Strings? Wind?

heyjay
10-01-2014, 02:58 PM
I played piano when I was younger. And by that, I mean I knew like two proper songs, haha. But I loved experimenting and messing around on it. :)

I'd love to learn guitar but I don't have enough time to devote to it at the moment. My husband's played guitar for 10+ years now and I'm not sure I could handle him picking me apart just yet, so I try to find time to do it when he's not around, which is difficult.

I've thought about trying to learn violin because I find the sound so enchanting, but I'm rrreally not that musically inclined. I really ought to start with like the triangle or something. u_u

What started you playing instruments when you were younger?

Sakuras
10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I've played piano for 9 years, guitar for 8, and percussion for 7. I used to be a music major at my college, but I just switched. :P

kittyray
10-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Took piano lessons on and off in elementary school. I'm not good, but sometimes I fiddle around.

I've also tried forever to learn guitar, but I just don't seem to ever get any better. Part of it was that I didn't practice when I was younger, but I even took an actual class for credit in college and I forgot everything as soon as it ended. My hand just cramps up and it never felt natural and muscle memory never kicked in. I still hold on to my guitar, though.

domsquared
10-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I played piano when I was younger. And by that, I mean I knew like two proper songs, haha. But I loved experimenting and messing around on it. :)

I'd love to learn guitar but I don't have enough time to devote to it at the moment. My husband's played guitar for 10+ years now and I'm not sure I could handle him picking me apart just yet, so I try to find time to do it when he's not around, which is difficult.

I've thought about trying to learn violin because I find the sound so enchanting, but I'm rrreally not that musically inclined. I really ought to start with like the triangle or something. u_u

What started you playing instruments when you were younger?

Yeah I feel you on the guitar part. I dated two guys with godly guitar skills, but unfortunately the guitar and I don't get along...It's so hard to learn to play it xD And naaaah, I don't think your husband would pick on you in fact I think he'd be excited and really would want to help you! And believe it or not, the triangle isn't that easy ;) My old band director would say "There's a technique for everything! Even the triangle!" Which is totally true! I'd get into details but I'll chill with the Triangle Talk~

I've played piano for 9 years, guitar for 8, and percussion for 7. I used to be a music major at my college, but I just switched. :P

HAHA Oh no, what happened!? You were on a roll and all those years of experience...GONE. But I'm really curious, on why you changed majors? Was it because your heart wasn't in it anymore, or did you realize it's hard to survive in the world as a musician?

Took piano lessons on and off in elementary school. I'm not good, but sometimes I fiddle around.

I've also tried forever to learn guitar, but I just don't seem to ever get any better. Part of it was that I didn't practice when I was younger, but I even took an actual class for credit in college and I forgot everything as soon as it ended. My hand just cramps up and it never felt natural and muscle memory never kicked in. I still hold on to my guitar, though.

PFFFT, How can you have forgotten so quickly!? I mean, I think it's better to learn an instrument as long as you practice, but sadly this wasn't the case for you! (For shame, you should have practiced, tsk tsk :( ) But I can understand not getting used to the hand positions and comfort of it, it took me a long time to get comfortable on my violin. The fingers would be stiff and it was so hard to press down on the strings... Sorry to hear that, but hey yeah it's important to hold on to those memories by keeping that guitar~ You could leave it out to display and make people believe you're a guitarist :o_o:

Sakuras
10-01-2014, 11:39 PM
domsquared My heart wasn't in it anymore, to put a long story short. I knew it was going to be hard with life as a musician.

kittyray
10-02-2014, 12:26 AM
domsquared I did practice when I was older. I meant more I didn't practice the few times I tried lessons between the ages of 10-16 ish.
I'm not sure how I forgot so quickly. I did fairly well in the class and whatnot, but I don't know.

I managed to take my guitar out of storage this month after it's been tucked there for a couple years.

Chrome
10-04-2014, 02:48 AM
DID ANYBODY ELSE ALSO TAKE PIANO?

Jokes aside, Trombone in elementary + high school.

It's been collecting dust in a case since then.

Water
10-04-2014, 04:28 AM
Forced as a child to play the recorder.

zxzero
10-04-2014, 04:41 AM
I played the clarinet in middle school, I was never very good at it though.

Cal
10-07-2014, 04:50 AM
I can play piano and Sick my girl can play chello and the drums ^__^

bumperboy1
10-08-2014, 12:12 AM
I play the keyboards when busting out tracks

Fishbox
12-10-2014, 06:54 AM
The guitar. I used to play bass for a band.

w_is_awesome
12-13-2014, 04:02 AM
I used to play Piano a year ago, but then I kinda went on hiatus, and I'm actually thinking about getting back into playin it again.

notooryous
12-30-2014, 11:52 AM
I played the flute for 5 years, my sister played piano

peebles
01-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I can play the ukulele and guitar, but I can't read music and it sucks ;(

fever
01-04-2015, 06:52 PM
I taught myself how to play guitar and mandolin and ukelele by ear. I was really discouraged by my music teacher as a kid because she told me I couldn't read notes.
Which is true, I can't and she embarrassed me so badly, but a few years later I taught myself. n_n

Lindsay
02-07-2015, 01:20 PM
In high-school I started learning how to play guitar.. I got as far as leaning "Smoke on the Water" and then gave up.

End of story.

tf4trftf43
02-15-2015, 03:10 PM
piano/keyboard and guitar :rolleyes:

Misha
02-15-2015, 03:16 PM
I can probably play hot cross buns on the recorder.

And, I was a percussionist in high school.

coldblaze
02-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Piano since I was ten. Hand drums for about two years. Hoping to get a teacher for lefty guitar and violin.

surabhigautam
03-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Guitar is my favorite and i always play in my free time.

Lisbeth
03-13-2015, 07:36 AM
I took piano lessons as a kid and can still mostly teach myself to play anything I want to... Also, ukelele. Because I have tiny baby hands and my fingers can't stretch far enough for a lot of guitar chords (I tried) :(

FreezingHeat
03-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Electric/Acoustic/Bass Guitar :d

Aglett
05-29-2015, 12:08 AM
I don't play any instrument, but I did get into a guitar class once in high school learning the basic.

TwistyBR
05-29-2015, 04:46 AM
I play mainly the piano. However i can also play the drums, guitar and bass

Twisty BR

Teal
05-29-2015, 11:03 AM
I played the bass clarinet for about 7 years.
I used to play the acoustic and bass guitar, but I stopped.

looklook123123
05-29-2015, 11:57 AM
I want to learn the piano but can't find a good place to learn online. I want to learn a couple specific songs. Can anyone write sheet music here??

Lizerd
05-31-2015, 12:09 PM
I've played the flute for almost 6 (!!!) years now, and I want to learn the Saxophone c: Never could quite get piano, though. My mom says my hands are too small.
My boyfriend keeps trying to get me to play his contra bass clarinet, but I'm sorta frightened because it's taller than I am (another !!!)

applesauce120
05-31-2015, 12:11 PM
i played violin from like 2nd to 8th grade lol

Skarl
05-31-2015, 01:21 PM
A little bit of: snare, guitar, piano

dragster
05-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Played piano at high level for a long time, also used to playclarinet, baritone sax, and alto sax.
Tried to learn guitar when I was still in uni but was too busy and ended up giving up on it =\

Lightz
06-02-2015, 10:10 AM
play er hu!!!

2ndgradel0v3
06-02-2015, 10:12 AM
i play a few, piano, guitar, clarinet, :)

Melissa
06-02-2015, 11:56 AM
I play barely any piano and guitar, but I sing a lot.

Jesedmoga
06-04-2015, 03:41 PM
I ussualy play the flute and the guitar... my "platonic" instrument has always been the piano, but people keep telling me that my fingers are not made for it =/

G14111gle
06-08-2015, 03:29 PM
I play piano

kior
06-12-2015, 03:09 AM
Guitar, recorder :)

supreme_force
06-12-2015, 03:13 AM
Guitar, trumpet...

TwistyBR
06-12-2015, 04:18 AM
I want to learn the piano but can't find a good place to learn online. I want to learn a couple specific songs. Can anyone write sheet music here??
When i want to learn specific song i watch youtube videos. And i look for synthesia videos(i cant read sheet music:p)

Twisty BR

Pitoruke
06-27-2015, 06:48 AM
I play the guitar and a little bit on the accordeon

rdrr
06-28-2015, 12:46 PM
I used to play the piano (had 10 years of practice) but I really really want to learn a new instrument. Can't decide between the violin or trumpet. =/

Double.Trouble
06-30-2015, 10:02 PM
I used to play the piano (had 10 years of practice) but I really really want to learn a new instrument. Can't decide between the violin or trumpet. =/

Good luck if you choose trumpet. It's pretty difficult starting out. And you really should get private lessons and need to practice daily since it requires facial muscle building. But it's very fun and rewarding (but still frustrating, haha!)

No idea on violin...but heard that one's even harder. I really admire good violin players though.

But yeah, other than trumpet I play bass guitar and keyboard.

lunarlet
07-01-2015, 04:18 AM
Used to play viola. Still have it in my closet maybe one day i'll start playing again . I was mostly self-taught since I had to move schools when I was younger so I only got 1 year of proper training.

Sakuras
07-01-2015, 02:39 PM
I've probably posted in this thread before but:
Piano - 9 years
Percussion - 7 years
Euphonium - Learned it senior year of HS for fun
Guitar - 8 years

I used to be a music major, lel.

raithi
07-03-2015, 12:19 AM
I was schooled in classical piano for about 13 years, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Rachmaninoff... I can play anything but blues really. Never could get a feel for blues. Though I play everything else quite well.

dividend
07-04-2015, 05:01 PM
I've been playing the soprano, contrabass, and baritone saxophone for about 5 years, the piano for 7, the guitar, banjo, and bass all for 6 years, and I'm taking lessons for snare.
I've always wanted to learn to play the flute, but I can't seem to get it right haha. (:

Winona
07-15-2015, 08:27 PM
I've played the tenor saxophone since I was twelve... can noodle around on soprano, alto, and baritone saxes too, given the time and the right song. Had a casual meet-up jazz band since high school - we're not virtuosos, but can play something decently well if we all like it. Good times.

bongopogo
07-15-2015, 08:33 PM
I play my voice.

Hah joking because I'm bitter over my inability to play any instruments. Learned guitar for a few months as a child but that stint ended pretty fast.

I'd love to learn the flute or some kind of funky drum. Don't see myself ever putting in the time and money required, though.

edit: I just realized what an opportunity I missed.

Bongos. I play the bongos. While on a pogo stick.

funtimes
07-16-2015, 05:10 PM
i play piano and the drumssss B~)

neopeep
07-16-2015, 07:52 PM
I play the flute and piccolo. I played for about 4 years but I haven't picked them up in awhile! Woodwinds are the best :)

fluttershy
07-16-2015, 09:08 PM
piano. clarinet. i dont currently play anything consistently, but i do have a keyboard in my house that i occasionally tinker around on.

charlieSheen
07-20-2015, 09:37 AM
I used to play flute. I wish I picked up violin instead; I would always get lightheaded if I played too long...XD. It takes a lot of air control to play the flute...and to be honest, I didn't really have that.

Snepsky
07-20-2015, 06:08 PM
I used to play trumpet and piano, but if given the chance I prefer low brass (like baritone & euphonium), and I've been trying to teach myself how to play Harmonica.
/boring

Mothman
07-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I play the french horn and trumpet!! I haven't played in years, but this semester I'm looking to revive my skills and pick up horn again.

wish me luck ((screams internally))

Knighted
07-23-2015, 10:10 PM
I feel so untalented after going through all these posts lol. I did a bit of piano as a kid and dabbled with the viola / trumpet.

riedy
07-29-2015, 02:40 PM
I was forced to learn keyboard, I really regret not getting into guitar.

dbubby
08-16-2015, 05:16 PM
I started off playing piano as a child which was good to learn how to read music, play chords... have also learned to play drums and guitar.

SweetSong
08-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Nothing, yep nothing.. Did choir abit in HS hated it lol
Give props to all you talented peeps here on CK .

Relief
08-16-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't know about you all, but shower time is where I let my musical flag fly.

I take all of the empty shampoo/conditioner bottles (when you're living with two girls it adds up fast) and strategically place them in the shower. I then grab two toothbrushes, one longer than the other, and use their butts to create some of the most epic drumsticks ever.

My comb and a toothpick are used as my little banjo, and nothing makes a better microphone than a shower head.

So what instruments do I play? ... tons ... I'm a fucking one man shower band.

Naked Gamer
08-16-2015, 06:03 PM
I tried to play my friends Trumpet that shit is harder then I thought, always have him shit about it too feel bad now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hashbrown
08-31-2015, 11:17 PM
I play the piano, guitar, ukelele, and the Chinese Erhu :)

Been playing piano for 6 years, guitar for 2 years, ukelele for 1 year, and the Erhu for 7 years ^o^

GrimmBunny
09-01-2015, 05:57 PM
I've tried keyboard before! ;o;

Teakwood
10-12-2015, 02:20 PM
I've been playing the piano ever since I can remember. My grandmother taught me how to play so I could help her with church related things.

Once I graduated high school, I ditched the piano, and I regret it.

cookiemunster
10-13-2015, 01:41 PM
I played the guitar for about 8 years. I sold all my guitars and amps about 2 years ago, so I haven't played since then. :(
I tried teaching myself the piano too, since everyone says it's pretty much the same as the guitar. I thought it was so much harder and didn't really get past "Marry Had a Little Lamb" lol