PDA

View Full Version : need opinions for school: what do you think about donating to charities?

firehawk
09-18-2014, 12:23 PM
for my final school project i want to go big and figure out something for some kind of charity advertisement wise. but to advertise and start with something i need opinions, and many different ones.

do you donate? how do you think about donations? are they good or bad? what bugs you when you see advertisement to do with donations and charities? honestly do you have anything you want to share about donations? are there any adverts that made you feel better and want to donate? any ads that really annoy you? i just want a general opinion on this so no need to answer all!

right now my main focus is how people are against the high wages of the people in charge of charities or that they don't want to donate cause it's too much work, or that they're forced to keep donating every month... or people who simply don't know or want to know about things like child labor being real and how i need to reach everyone. i also want to make it a social thing, but first i need basic info like this

so thanks if you can help me!

Ghirahim
09-18-2014, 05:41 PM
For my senior year in high school, my friends and I started a club called "Gamers for Charity" within the school. We hosted two Smash Bros Brawl tournaments during that year, and even though I've moved out of state, the school and some of my friends who went to college in state are still running the program. And it has seriously been so much fun!
Try to have an event that raises money for a charity, and maybe even a local one that people in your community can really get behind. We raised money for the food bank as well as the charity our school fundraises for every year. But we were also considering donating to underfunded elementary and middle schools to improve art and music programs!
Do something that you care about and would have a lot of fun with and as long as you don't force donations down the throat of your community, people should be more than willing to help if they're able :D

Cabbage
09-18-2014, 07:11 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

just a thought.... :rolleyes:

Ghirahim
09-18-2014, 08:03 PM

just a thought.... :rolleyes:

This is why I think it's most important to pick a charity you care about and know about, like something local that does its honest best to benefit the community instead of benefit its pockets. It might not seem like its helping as much as donating to the big name companies, but if you're worried about corruption, your charity might just be used more wisely by smaller groups.

firehawk
09-24-2014, 05:00 AM
thanks, sorry i forgot the whole thread

not all charities are bad and obviously i want to do something to help other than gaining some rich ppl more money ;)

DarkByte
09-24-2014, 05:06 AM
I know a woman who works for British Heart foundation and they get alot of �� out the donations. (She is a manager). The higher up management are on �80k a year. Same with Cancer research , the staff are volunteers but the store manager is getting paid a fat wage and extra for hitting bonuses. That stupid ice bucket challenge fad people only donates 7% of donations too research.

I would find a local Registered charity ( a small one like a dog shelter, horse rescue or something) and support them. As long as they have a registered charity number they have to keep logs of all there out goings. I do sponsor a lady via help the aged though. But I researched them first! I also donate to the Salvation army as I know several Friends who have had food parcels off them (they send u food packages if u fall on hard times , one of my friends had one close to easter and they even sent his kids eggs).

Tldr: Unless I can see the positive impact they have , I do not bother. I am not paying for someone elses tax dodge scam :P.

Pinxil
09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
I usually donate a lot of clothes,and some food to charities on my city,but I never donate money,money always go right to the wrong people pockets

Colby
09-24-2014, 10:34 AM

This ad gets me wanting to donate.

firehawk
09-25-2014, 08:32 AM
thanks guys, i got that a lot of people prefer not to spend money but prefer sending other things, i think i should really go with that

ohealno
11-05-2014, 04:37 PM
for my final school project i want to go big and figure out something for some kind of charity advertisement wise. but to advertise and start with something i need opinions, and many different ones.

do you donate? how do you think about donations? are they good or bad? what bugs you when you see advertisement to do with donations and charities? honestly do you have anything you want to share about donations? are there any adverts that made you feel better and want to donate? any ads that really annoy you? i just want a general opinion on this so no need to answer all!

right now my main focus is how people are against the high wages of the people in charge of charities or that they don't want to donate cause it's too much work, or that they're forced to keep donating every month... or people who simply don't know or want to know about things like child labor being real and how i need to reach everyone. i also want to make it a social thing, but first i need basic info like this

so thanks if you can help me!

You have to do your research and find out what your donations are going towards. Most charities only take a small percentage and put that towards the charity. I personally prefer local charities, homeless kids, food donations, walks, etc. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is by far my favorite charity to work with. It is a cause that needs a lot of work due to the social stigma against mental illness and the facts are undeniably disturbing. I can't stand advertisements that play off of our basic human emotions. Reach us with facts not tears; it's more respectable in my opinion. Also, causes that don't require financial donations to help out are good. If they ask you to help spread the word if you can't afford to donate shows me that they are in it to help not just take your money.

coldblaze
02-27-2015, 04:10 AM
I used to think that I would be all for charities growing up but working in development agencies for the last five years has blown a lot of my misconceptions. There is a great deal of good work being done but the hard truth is that a great deal of money donated goes towards things apart from the actual work being done. Depending on your personal goals, I would say give towards specifics. Know where your money is going if you are simply donating towards something. If you are trying to organize a charity activity of your own, have a clear goal and objectives whose impact can be seen and felt. A lot of charity work is for the feel-good factor. Long-term effects are nice but sometimes difficult to quantify for those that want to know precisely what work is being done so sometimes the best for charity work is going for impact. How can you direct your resources or the resources you can get to make the most impact in a short period of time?

TheLargeOne
02-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Many charities don't use money for the right reasons.
If you do decide to donate, don't donate a ton of money. Charities need to remember that they have a limited supply of money to work with, and none to goof off with.

tf4trftf43
02-28-2015, 08:24 PM
ive read things about charities not using money for things they should, and it angers me so much.
i prefer to give to local-based charities, and usually give a lot over time to the local charities because im pooooor and charity shops have some nice things that i can actually afford :( (lol at ppl who do it to be 'hip' ahahaha)
i'd prefer to actually HELP people/animals personally than hand over some moolah and think im a saint

AleeSohma
06-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Charity is a good thing, many people say that but, we should really search more. For example if it is a known campaign, there is a high probability that the charity won't go where they are promising. For me I'm not against it, just I prefer going to people I believe more and make short campaigns than going with the big ones, or even going by myself