PDA

View Full Version : [Noob friendly guide] Avoid getting scammed on paypal.

zxzero
02-08-2012, 02:54 AM
UPDATED AS OF December, 17, 2014

This is a very simple guide on how to not get scammed by using paypal as your type of payment. I hear about a lot of people getting scammed using paypal, so here is a very simple guide to help you out!

First of all, I have never been scammed using paypal because mostly I know what to say to make their shadyness (slyness) come out.

Second, If I do run into a shady character and they persist through then I will send them a simple legally binding contract for a service.

Third, NEVER let them send you the money, if they do deny it.

You MUST send the TOS with the request or it will also make the contract void. Make sure to take screen shots also.

Get them to send you their e-mail. This is a MUST as you will need it in a little bit.

Head over to the tab that says Merchant Services and scroll down until you see Request Money, it is under the Manage payments section, click it.

Type in the E-Mail of the person of whom you are receiving the money from. Enter the amount of which you wish to receive. You MUST click Service for this to work also. Refer to the picture below if you are having trouble.

It will allow you to type a message to the recipient you type the following posted below.

(Subject)
TERMS OF SERVICE
(Message, Optional)
By accepting the payment for $XXX.XX (type of currency here; e.g USD, CAN) you have agreed to the following terms of service:
1. You have received ALL services and goods in question, and the sale is FINAL.
2. There are NO refunds, returns, or chargebacks.
3. You will not create false paypal disputes regarding this transaction.

This is a legal binding contract.
Refer to the picture below if you are having trouble.

If they chargeback just simply contact Paypal with the contact us button at the bottom.

Paypal will send you an e-mail tracking the dispute. Click the resolution center and send in all your screen shots of the transaction and any conversations that you may have had that proves that you did talk to that person, and they did receive all the products or services that they ordered.

If you get charged back: Call in to paypal and ask them why are you getting charged back, if they tell you because the buyer opened a dispute say I have already given them the virtual items, as the statement says in my terms this user can not open false disputes regarding this case as I have already sent the Virtual goods. Be polite and calm when saying this, you will probably get the run around a couple times, see if you can talk to the manager. Keep calling them every day or second day and explain the same thing over and over eventually they will put the money back into your account.

Tips & Tricks: If you do not have funds on your paypal balance when the dispute is opened paypal will not charge you back until the buyer can prove that you did not send the item(s). Try to keep a low balance on your paypal account, either send it to another paypal or send it to your bank/pre-paid CC.

This guide is for Clraik.com. Please do not post my guides without my permission.

zakeryp
02-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Very nice :3 And Paypal is better for seller than buyer.

zxzero
02-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Thanks, yea I always use paypal. I always hear about WU but have not looked into it myself as paypal does what I need. xD

Kristin
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Oh thank you for this! +rep

zxzero
02-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Oh thank you for this! +rep

No problem, always glad to help out :D

Kristin
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
I just wanted to say, this guide is FABULOUS! I've used this method for 3 large $$ trades this week and it gives me great peace of mind. I highly recommend that ANYONE who uses PayPal should use this method!

yamakracker
03-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Wow nice guide, + rep.
But too bad I didn't see this earlier.

zxzero
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Glad to see people getting some use out of this, I have been out of the trading game ever since 16 accounts got mass frozen. (Which was my own fault xD)

zxzero
04-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Bump for awareness.

Jarbo
05-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Should I still be using this if I'm using a middleman?

Kristin
05-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Should I still be using this if I'm using a middleman?

Yes. Always use this. Even if you use a middleman, they could still charge back.

Shawn
06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
How is this legally binding though?

Hug
07-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I will definitely be bookmarking this.
Thank you!

zxzero
07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Because it is a contract that 2 parties have agreed upon, they have sent you the money after you have sent this so therefore they have agreed to your terms. If they have already sent the money and have not read it then it is their own fault, it is like signing a contract without reading it over weather or not you agreed to the terms of the contract personally does not matter, you have already agreed to the terms by signing. In this case by them sending the money to you they have already agreed to the terms that you have sent them.

Shawn

metaldroga
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
can you post the link, please ^-^

zxzero
08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
can you post the link, please ^-^

I don't get it, the link for what?

metaldroga
08-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't get it, the link for what?

its could'nt find the link, but I search & I dit, thanks~

goldentryst
10-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Excellent guide. I'm still skeptical of Paypal because of the scare it gave me, but I'm quite hopeful with this guide.

(Subject)
TERMS OF SERVICE
(Message, Optional)
By accepting the payment for $XXX.XX (type of currency here; e.g USD, CAN) you have agreed to the following terms of service:
1. You have received ALL services and goods in question, and the sale is FINAL.
2. There are NO refunds, returns, or chargebacks.
3. You will not create false paypal disputes regarding this transaction.

^ So will that template work for any and all big sale items I make? And what should I put for subject? Should I leave as is? xD

Shawn
11-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Has anyone had experience with this and CBs and winning the CBs

Celestial
11-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Has anyone had experience with this and CBs and winning the CBs

CBs? What is CBs?

Brittanee
11-03-2012, 09:04 PM
CBs? What is CBs?

Cashback.

Shawn
11-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Chargebacks

ShadowCreature
11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Great guide, I use this for EVERY trade, everyone should

Liv
03-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Thanks a lot! I really did not know about this method.

Benjamin
08-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Not sure if this applies anymore, after a quick read of the Terms of Service of PayPal, which read

9.5 Items/Transactions not Eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. The following are examples of items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller Protection:

Non-eBay transactions
Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.
Items that you deliver in person, including at a point of sale.
Intangible items, including Digital Goods and services.
PayPal Direct Payments (including Virtual Terminal Payments and Website Payments Pro/Plus payments).
Items that are not shipped to the recipient address. If you originally ship the item to the recipient address but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.

Savant
08-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Benjamin

I brought this up a long time ago. Stateing that EVERYONE who buys should always go first in payment and should include within the notes when sending the payment that... "This is payments for virtual goods. For no reason should I CB this payment as I have already received my goods."

This will help any seller that might have to fight a CB.

Bill
08-08-2014, 01:16 PM
This guide is really useful, will make sure to use it in future deals thank you.

neoplux
09-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Do I still require proof of delivery (signature) with this? I'm shipping tangible goods, not virtual. But I know signatures aren't always valid either since my mail man often signs packages himself if no one's home and paypal doesn't accept that kind of signature, so I am looking for a safe way to send without having to deal with proof of delivery.

I have been duped myself before when the mail man signed and left the package god knows where.

reestoquer
12-13-2014, 11:57 AM
I used this method to a sale outside the site, I'm waiting for the paypal answer, you think it will be all right?

zxzero
12-14-2014, 08:39 AM
I used this method to a sale outside the site, I'm waiting for the paypal answer, you think it will be all right?
Yes, this works outside of neopets related items

Do I still require proof of delivery (signature) with this? I'm shipping tangible goods, not virtual. But I know signatures aren't always valid either since my mail man often signs packages himself if no one's home and paypal doesn't accept that kind of signature, so I am looking for a safe way to send without having to deal with proof of delivery.

I have been duped myself before when the mail man signed and left the package god knows where.

I don't know why your mail man is signing packages, he is not supposed to. This will work, not too sure if it will work if your mail man signs it though you can always write a complaint to the postal service and they may refund your money for said item(s). For information on the product delivery it would essentially be the same you would have to contact the postal service and get them to confirm with paypal that the package was in fact delivered to said address.

reestoquer
12-15-2014, 05:18 PM
I used this term, and the buyer opened a dispute. (More than $300.) X____X

Very nervous, paypal decision is always for the seller using this term?

zxzero
12-17-2014, 09:24 AM
I used this term, and the buyer opened a dispute. (More than $300.) X____X

Very nervous, paypal decision is always for the seller using this term?

Paypal should close it soon if not here are some more steps to follow.

Send in any and all screen shots you have taken when talking to the person and giving them the items. This is why screen shots are important. If you did not take screen shots then refer below.

Call in to paypal and ask them why are you getting charged back, if they tell you because the buyer opened a dispute say I have already given them the virtual items, as the statement says in my terms this user can not open disputes regarding this case asI have already sent the Virtual goods. Be polite and calm when saying this, you will probably get the run around a couple times, see if you can talk to the manager. Keep calling them every day or second day and explain the same thing over and over eventually they will put the money back into your account.

Fizzlepop
12-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Awhile back I sold a uc rb shoyru (this was years ago) and the user issued a charge back and I called Paypal and it was explained to me that virtual items aren’t protected? Maybe it’s diffrent now.