PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for those versed in C

Tablo
07-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Im looking to learn, which books would you recommend? Assume that I know another language when recommending books, it would help me a ton.

j03
07-30-2014, 05:15 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Take this "book" into consideration.

JiB
07-31-2014, 02:05 AM
It really depends on what you want to be doing with it (generic answer, I know but hear me out)
First of all there's the basics of any language: your input/output, simple math calculations, loops, conditions, etc...

But depending on what you want to do with it, it's certain libraries that you need to verse yourself well in.
For example, if you want to create simple games with the terminal, I would suggest picking up ncurses. You can read the manpages here: [Only registered and activated users can see links] but will probably have more luck learning it step-by-step here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

There's libraries created for all sorts of things, from parsing HTML to interacting with external hardware, you just have to google tutorials for them (or manpages if you sort of know what you're doing already)

Alas if you're starting from scratch (and I mean SCRATCH, like bare-bones scratch), then the book Joe provided might seem a little complex at first glance. I would recommend a PDF of C for Dummies (located here: [Only registered and activated users can see links])
Usually the "For Dummies" books takes things extra slow and assumes that you don't know a thing

EDIT: Just realized you know another language, which changes my answer :P
Which language do you already know? If it's Python, you might want to start from scratch from C considering how different they are haha
If it's something like Pascal, then a lot of it is very similar, so I would only recommend a syntax overview located here: [Only registered and activated users can see links] , the navigator panel on the left will help you learn essentially every basic syntax form in C (loops, if statements, variable decs, the works)