PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in ghosts? Why/Why not?

Scooby Doo
02-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I just did some major early-spring cleaning.
Now my back is killing me but something really creepy happened when I was cleaning.

So I'm home alone, okay. I was just finishing up with cleaning my closet when I noticed this really epic zebra robe. So I spread it on the floor so I could fold it when my cat came over and sat on it. I thought it would be fun to pretend that he wasn't there while I folded it and see what would happen.

So I cleared my mind of basically everything and started folding. When I was finished, I noticed something weird. I had been singing this odd thing to myself the whole time, which I've never heard before in my whole life. I was saying "I must make it right for Mary Jane." over and over, kind of like a little song. I literally was not aware of the fact that I was saying that until I finished folding the robe. I don't even know anyone named Mary Jane. (/waits for inevitable marijuana jokes)

Anyway, that got me thinking about ghosts since I had just seen a scary movie and all. I asked my parents about the people who used to live in this house and guess what? It was an old married couple who used to live here and the wife's name was Mary Jane. Now they're dead, of course.
Note that this was the first time I was hearing about the people who used to live here.

ANYWAY, MY POINT IS: DO YOU BELIEVE IN GHOSTS? IF SO, WHY? IF NOT, WHY?

Carrot
02-04-2012, 07:47 PM
That story is creepy.

But no, I don't believe in ghosts. If they existed, it would be a well-known fact.

btw post #1000 wooo

kidchaor
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
No. I dont believe in ghosts. Cuz i know there are none. Think about it...how we think the earth was formed. There is little to no evidence on many of our theories of "monsters" and "ghosts" because they are obviously not real. The universe is just nothing, and anyways the "world" (Earth) is going to end in a couple billion of years when we collide into another galaxy. Humans believe such funny things.

kate
02-04-2012, 07:52 PM
i don't believe in ghosts until something like what you posted happens :p i also am convinced that people i get close to can read my mind when i'm talking to them. when i'm by myself again i know it's 100% irrational and stupid. i don't get it.

Sci_Girl
02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Not really, something drastic would need to happen for me to definitely believe in a ghost. I am a firm believer of rational explanation before jumping to more "fun" explanations such a ghosts for things. Rational things like sounds in the house are actually the wood contracting during temperature fluxes creating the creaking and moaning of a house, not the "dead girl" from 82 years ago playing hopscotch in the hallway. Images in pictures are reflection patterns of normal everyday objects but formed in such a way our perception is distorted. Then the addition of individual fear can create a plethora of self-created hallucinations like that shadow "was a man walking" or that branch was "a person scratching the window". To me too many things need to be ruled before a ghost can be used as an explanation. Sure it is fun to talk about something being ghost related but being fun does not make it true.

Joelalala
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
OMGOMG . Scary story !
Sometimes , i feel that way too . When i'm in the shower and then some creepy things happen .
But no , i dont believe in them . If they really existed , it would have been proven long ago .

John
02-04-2012, 10:02 PM
i dont, i have a really hard time believing things with very little to back them up. and maybe you heard that from something and forgot about it.

Ryu
02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't really believe in ghosts, since I haven't seen or experienced anything paranormal first hand :(

victoriamle
02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
No, I do not.

I do not believe in anything unless there is assured proof
;)

And you probably just tuned out. That happened to me while I was playing Feed florg on neopets and I wasn't even looking at the screen but I ended up at 254 points
xD

munsterpoo
02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Absolutely. When you have a phenomenon that is identical across the entire world documented over thousands of years, and now evidence from tv shows and researchers, there absolutely is something out there that we choose to call 'ghost'. It could be a natural phenomenon completely unrelated to the 'dead', but there is no doubt that there is something no one can explain that happens everywhere and has been happening since recorded history.

Khelddar
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I think if there where ghost and they where shadows of past humans, you would think at least one of them would want to be famous. ( as for some reason people want to become famous ) They would show themselves if the existed

Evelsaint
02-04-2012, 11:55 PM
I have never seen one but I have not dismissed the possibility that they do exist.

We might not be able to perceive it with out senses and they aren't physical manifestations but that doesn't mean that things such as "Intent" "Grudge" or "hatred" can't leave a perceived reaction.

Some people's senses are more highly attuned to something, not saying it's true or not but possible.

Also, do some research on DMT, the spirit molecue and maybe you'll find yourself opening up to different possibilities.

Sci_Girl
02-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Also, do some research on DMT, the spirit molecue and maybe you'll find yourself opening up to different possibilities.

What different possibilities would that be? DMT is a hallucinogenic drug/molecule, it creates a high much like other hallucinogenic compounds causing intense visual and euphoric hallucinations. Same thing happens with mushrooms and peyote.

Venom
02-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Wow, really creepy story, I've never encountered a ghost before, but I do believe in them, there are dead people still walking among us and trying to communicate with us and all that.

Evelsaint
02-05-2012, 01:20 AM
It makes you see things :D

victoriamle
02-05-2012, 02:07 AM
DMT changes effects depending on the environment you're in.
It doesn't automatically make you see things

holyzac
02-05-2012, 07:01 AM
I'll believe it when I see it, so far I have not seen it.
But I'd rather not see one...

300nukez
02-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I think ghosts happen only if a person died in an angry or sad state.
I think ALL people go to heaven if they beg for mercy in their last moments.

Slasher
02-05-2012, 09:32 AM
I do not believe in ghost. If they were existing, what would they look like? Would they be in our world? If so for what purpose? I don't believe in "paranormal activities". It's just tv or people who couldn't explain what they have been going through.

Kristin
02-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't believe in ghosts. However, I do believe in angels and demons.

Solgaleo
02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I had a weird experience once in my room. I was sitting on my bed, playing on my DS. All of a sudden, I heard something that sounded like a small child crying. I, initially dismissed it because our neighbors have small kids so I thought it was them. Not too long afterward, I saw this weird light dash across my room. My blinds were shut, so no light could get in from the outside....door was shut also.

My mom's friend, who is supposedly sensitive to these kinds of things, came into my room and stood there. She said she saw a young boy sitting in my room, crying.

I'm still up in the air if I believe i ghosts or not...but this scared the crap outta me

samy4612
02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
ghost are true i think emily rose says it all what do u think i think its related to demons and suspended souls

GOAT
02-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Well I do believe in them. My grandma told me about a ghost experience she had. Her mother had died a little while before my mom was born. Late at night (like in the a.m. times) my grandma was watching TV and heard something, so when she turned around to her front door, she saw her mother in her burial dress walking up the stairs. She went into my mom's room, said a blessing over her while she was sleeping, and came back down the stairs. Before she left, she turned to my grandma and said (in Croatian because she only spoke that), "Why did you bury me in such a long dress?" and then left. So, I personally believe in them. They are still around to maybe finish business they had before they died.

Rain
02-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm sure there is some other non-physical world there, but I have yet to encounter a ghost, and I don't want to believe in one otherwise haha. I hope I don't encounter one anyway. :)