PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Stripped of Trademarks

I_royalty_I
06-18-2014, 10:18 AM
"In a major blow to the Washington Redskins, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Wednesday canceled six federal trademarks of the Washington Redskins team name because it was found to be �disparaging� to Native Americans."

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Are you kidding me...?
They turned the name of a football team into a political matter.

Thoughts?

k80
06-18-2014, 10:47 AM
This was an issue with my mom's high school - they were the Indians but were later renamed something like Warriors. It got the point of the mascot across without offending any races by singling them out as a novelty stereotype. While "redskin" isn't the most offensive ethnic slur out there, it is a bit of an odd choice when you really think about it. i.e:

"What's your team mascot?"
"The Boston Black People"
"o_O"

Skarl
06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
This is silly. The team has been in existence for a long, long time and - as far as I'm aware - doesn't parade about yelling racial slurs at folks.

Tablo
06-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Social justice warriors fix another problem nobody actually cared about, amazing!!

I_royalty_I
06-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I read an interesting comment somewhere after the article saying something along the lines of... We don't name teams after something that we despise, it's a name we rally behind.

It's not meant to be a slur or interpreted in a negative light. I knew something was going to happen as soon as obama opened his big mouth about something that he didn't need to get involved in -_-

It doesn't MAKE them change their name, but it takes away all their trademarks. So now anybody can sell and use the name without the Redskins making any money off anything. So they will lose a TON of money and will probably eventually be forced to change it. It's really ridiculous.

Vindictive
06-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Obama is a idiot but im not going to elaborate on the topic, hes not even American and hes interfering with our American team which in reality isnt even that offensive.

I_royalty_I
06-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Obama is a idiot but im not going to elaborate on the topic, hes not even American and hes interfering with our American team which in reality isnt even that offensive.

Probably easier not to elaborate further on that first point! I could go on and on with how I probably agree with you :P

He started it, then more and more "legislatures" followed and pressured the Patent people to strip the trademark. It's all a bunch of political bullshit really.

Young
06-18-2014, 12:52 PM
TOO complex for a foreigner to understand what's happening

Zhukov
06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Obama is a idiot but im not going to elaborate on the topic, hes not even American and hes interfering with our American team which in reality isnt even that offensive. What do you mean by he's not American? He was born in the States, that's sort of what makes a person American

I_royalty_I
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM
What do you mean by he's not American? He was born in the States, that's sort of what makes a person American

That's a pretty debatable point seeing as we have not been able to see his actual birth certificate. Not really a surprise though, we are talking about one of the least transparent presidents here. :P

Zhukov
06-18-2014, 01:57 PM
That's a pretty debatable point seeing as we have not been able to see his actual birth certificate. Not really a surprise though, we are talking about one of the least transparent presidents here. :PSurely the government has though. I mean Bush's Republican government had massive surveillance and information-gathering power, surely they could know if someone was born here or not. And if they knew that Obama was born outside the States, why wouldn't they use that information to knock out a huge political enemy and guarantee continued Republican control over the presidency?

I_royalty_I
06-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Surely the government has though. I mean Bush's Republican government had massive surveillance and information-gathering power, surely they could know if someone was born here or not. And if they knew that Obama was born outside the States, why wouldn't they use that information to knock out a huge political enemy and guarantee continued Republican control over the presidency?

They have tried, but it's not as easy as just kicking him out. He provided a "birth certificate" that was supposed to be just a scan of his actual one. If it was a regular scan it would have one digital layer. But if I remember correctly, it had something like NINE layers... meaning it was digitally edited and put together. That in itself is sketchy.

Not to mention, literally EVERYTHING he does seems to be in an effort to screw the country even more than it possibly is. I could go on and on about what he has done, there have been talks about impeachment before. The house could probably put up the votes, but not the senate, so that makes it tough.

Vindictive
06-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Supposedly he was born in "Hawaii" money :rolleyes:

Theres a video of michelle obama accidently leaking out in public on stage that his home place Is kenya.

This guy has done nothing more but help all the lazy ass fuckers in Detroit and other similiar cities.

Im from Texas and work in the oil field and if you dont have a job down here your lazy. Im getting taxed more than ever on my high bonus checks because of this useless excuse of a president.

k80
06-18-2014, 03:24 PM
You guys know it's possible to disagree with a politician without going all consipiracy-theory on his birthplace right?

I_royalty_I
06-18-2014, 03:37 PM
You guys know it's possible to disagree with a politician without going all consipiracy-theory on his birthplace right?

If he were a more transparent, honest person then tossing out all the conspiracy theory things would be fine. But he isn't. Every word out of his mouth is a lie, he treats the constitution as a mere suggestion and does whatever he wants. I think that it's far more than a conspiracy theory, in regards to his birthplace. :P

Jeongyeon
06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Redskins is a racial slur. Doesnt matter how you see it or not. An objective mind will see it as a racial slur.

Good for them.

Thommy
06-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Redskins is a racial slur. Doesnt matter how you see it or not. An objective mind will see it as a racial slur.

Good for them.

Well its all semantics really.

The term 'Yankee' was originally a derogatory term used by the British to describe the people living in the America's, it was then later used (again, with derogatory connotation) by the succeeded southerners to describe Northern Americans.

You even have people from the north who relocate to the south called that, whether or not they like it. No harm is meant by it, but to some, it still is offensive to be considered some sort of segregated stereotype.

You would never see anyone take away the trademark protection of the 'New York Yankee's' (and unlike the Redskins, they are a valid copyright infringement target)

Sometimes team names become un-PC (Washingon Bullets turning into the Washington Wizards after violent crimes took off in that region etc) -- but sometimes names are what they are, just names. The team name does not mean any sort of disrespect. And just like its ok for certain races to throw out certain 'derogatory names' based on their own ethnicity (but wrong for other ethnicities) this is something that really is just singling out a specific case to try to get some media attention.

P.S. I took the Yankees as an example of an 'accepted derogatory term' when I could've easily just picked on the Cleveland Indians, who, Chief Wahoo's stereotypical racism aside, should be the more politically correct 'Cleveland Native Americans'

kiyomi
06-19-2014, 07:16 PM
He needs to leave MY SKINS alone!

Jeongyeon
06-20-2014, 03:14 AM
Do you know what a "redskin" is? Thommy

Its a scalp of a murdered native american sold as trophies by white men. The prices depends on whether the scalp is from a male, female or child.

It doesnt even compare to what you listed. I understand there are derogatory terms used as sports name/logo but redskins has to be the worst of the bunch. Why cant we just take the worst out and worry about the others later?

Its not just semantics. Its racism and people who downplay racist slurs/racism is disgusting.