PDA

View Full Version : Increasing joint strength and general flexibility

coldblaze
06-09-2014, 07:15 AM
I have had a problem with my ankle and shoulder joints since I hit my early teens. I can't throw things very hard, I tend to throw out my shoulder joint. If I try to run, I invariably twist one or both ankles and the severity of this differs depending on the situation. Is there anything I can do workout-wise or even diet-wise to strengthen my joints?

---------- Post added at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

I have just gotten more or less back to normal after spraining the same ankle thrice in 7 weeks, tearing the ligament the last time and haven't really been able to do much exercise for about two months now barring very basic yoga-style stretches.

Thommy
06-09-2014, 11:05 AM
It depends on what the culprit is, I both tore my rotater cuff and dislocated my shoulder way back when, and it will be prone to dislocation the rest of my life .. though thats a socket more than a joint issue - and it def doesn't cause me to have deadarm though.

General joint issues would be solved by increasing flexibility and range of motion, yogas good there. There are supplements for joint and ligament strength, they are all comparable and similar so you can go with a generic.

With the ankle issue - where they are constantly spraining, id just opt for either a brace, or high-ankle shoes. Any low ankle show (vans for example) and you will increase your chance of spraining. I have a desegregated Achilles on one side and a brace is by far the best option, even if braces are considered a non-solving solution (meaning, the body part braced will never gain strength because it becomes reliant on its crutch rather than its own)