PDA

View Full Version : Severely overweight & wanting to change - any tips? :(

eclipsen
06-04-2014, 06:18 PM
As the title says.

I've been overweight since I was a kid. My parents are overweight, most of my siblings are overweight, we just weren't raised with proper eating habits or encouraged to be physically active. My health is very bad and I'm sure at least some of it can be contributed to my weight.

Does anyone have any tips for a complete beginner to losing weight properly? I have dropped 50 pounds very quickly in the past but that was by just cutting myself off from food as much as physically possible. Please don't suggest I do that again. I want to get healthy, not just lose weight. :/

If you suggest workouts, please keep in mind that I suffer from a shit load of pain from other health issues, so something not too intense would be great...

And I'd really appreciate if you didn't make any negative comments because I'm overweight. I get enough of that in real life already.

Onyx
06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
If you are serious about working out and dieting this ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) website is one of the best out there. It will walk you through all the steps needed to create a proper diet and workout plan for you.

Here is some personal advice from myself:

Start out making small changes. You said you lost 50lbs , but you were cutting yourself from all food as much as possible. That is not good! Implement small changes over time and eventually they will add up. For instance:

-Drink pop or other unhealthy drinks (energy drinks) everyday? Cut down to only drinking them 3 days a week. After a month or so, completely eliminate them from your diet. Also, try to drink the recommended amount of water everyday.
-Don't eat healthy very often? Try eating healthy for one meal a week...then two meals...then three, and as time goes on you will start to crave healthy foods instead of junk food.
-Start going to the gym one day and week and overtime work your way up to a regular schedule. Ease into it and find something that works for you. Also, make sure you are not just doing cardio. Lifting weights helps you look good and burn fat!

Remember, only YOU can change your life. No one else is going to do it for you. It will take hard work. There will be days where you will want to skip the gym or eat poorly. You have to remind yourself of the end goal and how much better you will become. I promise you that eating healthy and working out regularly will effect your life in many more ways than just appearance.

eclipsen
06-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Thank you for your advice, Onyx. I'll take a look at the website you linked to.

But anyway, I am definitely serious about it. It isn't a spur of the moment, "maybe I'll go on a diet," sort of thing, I've been thinking about how to get started for a while and I just want to jump into it already instead of procrastinating with a "maybe I'll start tomorrow" attitude.

I actually hate pop/unhealthy drinks, and drink plenty of water (at least the recommended amount) every day. So that one shouldn't be a problem.
There isn't a gym where I live so I'll have to look into exercising at home. I have an exercise bike, some light weights, a treadmill, a jump rope, and a resistance band; is that good at least to start?
And like my first post mentioned, I am in a lot of pain. My doctor has said that while exercising won't take that pain away, I should start easing into it so that I can learn to keep living with it easier. But to still take it slow. So I'll just do my best I suppose.

rachel
06-04-2014, 07:01 PM
eclipsen I just recently started getting more conscious about my health and my weight, trying to get in better shape and lose the weight that I, too, have carried almost all my life. Honestly, a *huge* change for me came with a book that I bought:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Sounds tacky and cheesy and everything, but I've always been a bit of an (unhealthy) yoyo dieter, and this book has been a god-send for me. It's based off the idea of eating 5-6 small meals a day, every 2-3 hours, basically. When you do this, it re-trains your metabolism by never letting your body enter "starvation mode" which can happen even just with 3 meals a day.

It really helped me think about the true, genuine "health" of what I'm eating, too. Like, I always thought that hummus was "healthy" and that small amounts of peanut butter were "healthy," but the fact is that when I'd eat those things, I'd eat way too much of it. 1 tablespoon of peanut butter is almost 100 calories... and if I made a sandwich, I'd sure as hell have been putting on more than just one measly little tablespoon. It was all about realizing and changing what I ate to to fill my calories, and having to make those decisions between "do I want one tablespoon of peanut butter with celery for a snack or do I want an entire apple with an entire cucumber, too?"

I'd really recommend reading the book - it's filled with options and a clear diet plan, and when you're eating every 2-3 hours, you don't really get "hungry" or feel like you need to eat more because you start to realizing that you're eating again in like an hour. Or, if you'd like, I can provide you with a list of the things that I usually eat - my "staple foods," if you will. The only other biggest tip I have is to *stop eating* within 2 hours before you go to bed. I was a notorious late night snacker, and that is the worst thing, this book says, hahaha.

But honestly, I've never once felt like I'm being deprived of anything I love, I still have a "cheat day" like once a week actually, and yet I've still made lots of progress over the past 4 months. I've still had cake for birthdays, still had ice cream after my wisdom teeth were pulled, still had pizza for parties, etc., but I really feel like my metabolism is re-trained and working more in my favor than it ever was in the past.

-----

I will say that I also pair this with an hour of cardio and some weights every single day, which I realize isn't feasible for everyone, but I'd recommend using an elliptical if you have access to one. I always use one because it's easier on my knees, and I can still control how fast I go, my incline, etc., to make the workout easier on those days where I'm really sore. Don't get discouraged because every little bit helps, even if you're not going fast at all, even if you just take walks outside, as long as your heart rate is elevated for an extended period of time, you're doing it right! :)

If I can think of any other tips, I'll definitely pass them along. I'm no expert, I know, but just one person who's always struggled with weight, too, and has found something that actually works. <3

eclipsen
06-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Thank you rachel! I'm pretty short on money right now (okay, really short, considering I only have 55 cents in my bank account) so I don't think I can buy the book, but maybe I can find it a library or borrow it somewhere? I'll look around and see. If you could tell me these staple foods of yours that would be great.

I totally understand what you're saying with hummus and peanut butter though. I love hummus, it's my favorite thing on earth. But not a little bit of hummus, I feel a need to eat the whole damn container. Gonna have to work on that.

rachel
06-04-2014, 07:32 PM
eclipsen I keep double-posting, too...cK is SUPER slow for me, like sometimes not loading at all, so I think that might be why it's getting us, hahaha.

And sure, of course! I pretty much eat the following things religiously (with some variations):

Breakfast (6:00 A.M.):

EAS Advantedge 110 Calorie Carb Control Protein Shake
1 cup sugar-free cereal (like off-brand cheerios with ZERO flavor) and some vanilla almond milk to give it some flavor
1 cup oatmeal made with almond milk, sprinkled with a *little bit* of brown sugar

Snacks 1 & 2 (8:30 A.M. & 11:00 A.M.):

1.5 cups veggies: cucumber, celery, cherry tomatoes, steamed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, mixed, etc.)
Any one fruit: apple, orange, 2 plums, peach, cup of grapes/strawberries/blueberries, etc.
1 sugar free jello, sugar free pudding, sugar free yogurt (or 100 calorie greek yogurt)
One boiled egg
2 sugar free fudgesicles
One cup cottage cheese

Lunch (1:30 P.M.):

4 cups spinach with 2 tablespoons low-fat dressing, ~ 6 chopped black olives
1 cup of soup (not a can, just a cup) - less than 100 calories per cup (my favorites are Progresso Light Vegetable & Progresso Light Chicken & Dumplings), and he recommends no thick, creamy soups, but more brothy types
1 sandwich with low-calorie bread, 2 oz lean chicken/turkey, one small slice of cheese, mustard & a veggie side

Dinner (4:15ish P.M.):

One cup steamed vegetables with one of the following:
6 oz tilapia fillet
5 oz chicken breast
Frozen veggie burgers (my favorites are Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burgers & Boca Original Vegan Burgers, but Boca also has other fun flavors, too!)

Snack 3 (7:00 P.M. ish):

Same as previous snacks

These are just some of the many, many options he suggests, but by eating these in various mixtures and still indulging in "cheat days," I've been able to stick with it for 4 months now, and I really honestly believe that this has been the "lifestyle change" I've always wanted. Let me know if there's any other suggestions I can make, I'd be happy to look through the book more to find other meal options, etc.!

eclipsen
06-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Thank you for those food suggestions rachel! I'm guessing you just eat one of the options in each category, yes? At first I thought you meant you eat the protein shake, cereal, and oatmeal all in one meal and I was like, "whoa, um, that's a lot" :P

rachel
06-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Thank you for those food suggestions rachel! I'm guessing you just eat one of the options in each category, yes? At first I thought you meant you eat the protein shake, cereal, and oatmeal all in one meal and I was like, "whoa, um, that's a lot" :P

LOL, yeah, just one from each category!! xD
There are a ton more options in the book, like I said, but I try and limit myself budget-wise, so those are what I've found work best.
Like, for breakfast, I'll usually do whatever fits into my schedule best, so if I'm running late I'll have a protein shake, etc. or on the weekends when I have more time to relax, I'll indulge in oatmeal, hahaha.

That's another thing: the longer you do it and the more you see results, it completely changes what it means for you to "splurge" (at least it does for me). Now, if I have a slice of pizza or a soup that's higher in sodium/calories than I'm used to, that's "splurging," where before, I wouldn't have considered it splurging until I got to 3-4 pieces of pizza or a bowl of ice cream or something.

It starts to change the way you think, which is a point I never let myself get to in past diets. Just as long as your new way of thinking is healthy, it's a great feeling. c:

eclipsen
06-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I really appreciate all the tips, mind if I ask you if I ever need any more tips, rachel? :P I'm actually excited to start changing my habits, haha.

rachel
06-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Of course not, eclipsen!
And if you ever need someone to talk to about how you're feeling as you start to make the changes or 2 months down the road or 6 months down the road or whenever, never hesitate to PM me! xD Guaranteed I've been there before, too, hahaha.
I've been discouraged, I've been mad, I've complained about not seeing progress, I've been tired, I've been sore...

...but more than anything else, I've been ultimately happier because it's so, so worth it.

eclipsen
06-05-2014, 12:27 AM
I just made an account on a site called myfitnesspal, for tracking my calories. I feel like that actually might help me a lot too.
If anyone happens to have an account there, lemme know so I can add you!

Thommy
06-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Myfitnesspal is really a great tool, word of advice though is to make sure the food you are adding matches the food you really want, some people upload information that isn't entirely accurate, or some manufacturers have variable containers (like a 2 oz vs 2.2 oz can of something) when multiple countries are involved in their products.

However, regardless of how accurate the information pertaining to the food is, it still gives you decent enough estimate on how much you are putting in and burning on a daily basis - which gives you a tangible and visible goal

easy advice for anyone just beginning an exercise journey, its never the speed or the time spent doing stuff, its the distance. 1 mile is 1 mile regardless of how long it took you to walk it ... and a good point to aim at is 10,000 steps a day (work your way up, then leisurely hit that, as it gets easier, increase your speed)

alot of us have been there at some point really - best of luck

Kevin!
06-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Don't really have much more advice than what has already been said but just remember this quote when it gets tough

" It doesnt matter how slow i go, i'm still lapping everyone on the sofa"

Master Shake
06-05-2014, 04:15 PM
As the title says.

I've been overweight since I was a kid. My parents are overweight, most of my siblings are overweight, we just weren't raised with proper eating habits or encouraged to be physically active. My health is very bad and I'm sure at least some of it can be contributed to my weight.

Does anyone have any tips for a complete beginner to losing weight properly? I have dropped 50 pounds very quickly in the past but that was by just cutting myself off from food as much as physically possible. Please don't suggest I do that again. I want to get healthy, not just lose weight. :/

If you suggest workouts, please keep in mind that I suffer from a shit load of pain from other health issues, so something not too intense would be great...

And I'd really appreciate if you didn't make any negative comments because I'm overweight. I get enough of that in real life already.

I kno I'm late on this reply but I have the exact opposite problem I'm severly underweight :/

eclipsen
06-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Thommy, one of my friends uses it and says it has been really helpful for her, so hopefully it'll be helpful for me too. :) I actually have a pedometer so I can start settling goals for myself with steps and such. :) Thank you for the luck!
Independance, I am putting that quote on my fridge now ;)

I kno I'm late on this reply but I have the exact opposite problem I'm severly underweight :/

Well maybe we can both work at getting into healthier weight ranges? :)

kiyomi
06-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Hey eclipsen ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), I too struggled with my weight for many years. I also have probably some of the same health problems you have due to being overweight. Let me tell you, you don't have to cut yourself off completely from food to lose weight and get healthy. Instead of eating just 3 times a day, eat 6 times a day. But do try to eat a smaller portion than you would normally eat. Like say;

Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack.

What you don't want to do is overeat. But at the same time you don't want your body to feel like (whether you feel hungry or not) that it is going into starvation mode. I would also suggest making sure you are getting only 1800 mg's of salt/sodium daily. If you go over that it is okay. Because it is easy to do. But you want to make sure you get at least 5-6 8 ounce glasses of water daily. The more salt you intake the more water you need. Most doctors will tell you that you need 8 glasses of water daily. No ifs ands or buts. But this simply isn't true. Some people can't drink more than 4 glasses of water daily without feeling sick to the point of vomiting. That is because they have diluted all of the salt they have taken in that day. So just be sure to watch salt intake along with water intake. You don't want water intoxication. So please, do be careful.

Now what I would suggest for some physical activity. I started out by just getting Resistance bands. I would sit in a chair and place my feet on top of the band and just pull up. The good thing about Resistance bands is you can actually place them around your door and stand pulling (with the door shut) your arms back to your sides. If you can walk for even 5 minutes and then rest, that is GOOD. You have to take baby steps. You have to crawl before you walk.

Tablo
06-05-2014, 11:49 PM
As the title says.

Hey there. I'll give you exactly what you need to do to lose weight.
Since it seems like your family are very unhealthy eaters, start cooking for yourself. Look up some recipes online.
The thing is, once you start eating healthy, you WILL lose weight.
Completely cut the pop. Not a drop of it, not a once a week, month, year thing. No pop at all. Water and healthy juices only

Now, you want to be healthy, that is great, however it is impossible to be healthy when you are severely overweight, dont let anybody tell you otherwise.
You will be able to do the activities that will make you healthy once you lose the weight and are no longer in pain when exercising.

The biggest thing to remember is you have to stick to it, so many people fail diets because they relapse. Dont let that be you, you can do it, you will make it.
The only person in the way is you, just remember why you started losing weight whenever you feel like eating junk or drinking pop.

I was once in your situation, I went from 350~ pounds to 140, if I can do it, so can you, good luck.

EDIT: Do not worry about tracking calories when you are eating that unhealthy, worry about following the food guide.

eclipsen
06-05-2014, 11:58 PM
rocka1
Thank you for your tips. My probably isn't actually eating unhealthy food; it's eating way too huge of quantities of a good thing. Like instead of having a handful of almonds, having a huge bowl of them. Instead of having a few rice crackers, eating an entire package of them. It's portion control that I will is the biggest problem, since my family has always been putting huge amounts of food on my plate with an, 'eat what's in front of you, there are starving children over in Africa', sort of attitude, so it's what I've gotten used to - eating a LOT of food at once.

Tablo
06-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I see! Okay, well then, the other guys gave you great advice already, just remember that you can do it and dont give up :D!

eclipsen
06-06-2014, 12:02 AM
I see! Okay, well then, the other guys gave you great advice already, just remember that you can do it and dont give up :D!

Thank you! I might post my results here every once in a while as I go along actually. I hope I can stick to it. :P

Tablo
06-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Its very very good to post results, the praise and encouragement will keep you going. We're all gonna make it.

auzereis
06-06-2014, 03:01 PM

im 5'8 and was 190 lbs but i didnt wanna diet or do any cardio so i took DNP, lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks cycle.

you will need t3 to go with your dnp as it will be much more effective burning fats.
if u wanna be semi legit u can try Clenbuterol it will help workouts but still need t3 to be effective for fat burning.

anyway make sure do you google an efficient amount on dnp before u even think about it

Skylily
06-07-2014, 07:16 PM
I PMed you. :) Please check it out!

Tablo
06-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Hey eclipsen, how are things? Have you made decisions as to how you are going to handle it? I for one am eager to hear how you are doing :)

eclipsen
06-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Hey eclipsen, how are things? Have you made decisions as to how you are going to handle it? I for one am eager to hear how you are doing :)

Hey, thanks for asking! I've decided to stick with the basics at least for now; keeping track of portion sizes, logging my calories, trying my best to get in at least a little bit of walking until I'm able to do more. I might change it up later but for now I'll see how this works out. :) I'll also be following the serving recommendations similar to what is recommended in the Canadian Food Guide.

Tablo
06-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Hey, thanks for asking! I've decided to stick with the basics at least for now; keeping track of portion sizes, logging my calories, trying my best to get in at least a little bit of walking until I'm able to do more. I might change it up later but for now I'll see how this works out. :) I'll also be following the serving recommendations similar to what is recommended in the Canadian Food Guide.

Nice, Good luck!

chiro
06-08-2014, 09:48 AM
MFP is amazing to use, for sure. I've been in the same boat as you in the past, all I really did was start adding a lot more veggies into my meals and started making everything from scratch. I know exactly what goes into my foods, I portion it off perfectly, and I'm good to go.

That plus my gym. And running daily. And Zumba. Yeah.. I went a bit overboard when getting myself active and turned into an fitness junkie. I did manage to lose almost 150 pounds since July of 2012 though, so I'm proud of it. You can do it too!

06-08-2014, 10:56 AM
eclipsen How tall and how old are you? If i may ask?

Logging calories as you said above is one of the greatest things, change the eating health style. Don't STOP eating because that's not helpful AT all, but change what you eat.

eclipsen
06-08-2014, 07:11 PM
eclipsen How tall and how old are you? If i may ask?

Logging calories as you said above is one of the greatest things, change the eating health style. Don't STOP eating because that's not helpful AT all, but change what you eat.

I am almost 5'4, and I'm 18 years old.

Tablo
06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
I am almost 5'4, and I'm 18 years old.

You are very lucky you are young, you have lots of time to fix it :)

Skylily
06-08-2014, 11:05 PM
If anyone also has any advice concerning easy-to-cook meals for one, I would be super greatful! I figured this would be a good place >>
I also need to lose some weight, thanks to birth control. But I don't cook at home often enough and when I do it's like pasta and chicken breast. I don't know many good easy recipes. D:

Do you eat out a lot eclipsen?

Thommy
06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Since im cooking inept, as far as home cooked the main thing I do is home made chicken soup, chicken is lean and low in protein and you end up getting your veggies in.

Then theres always various stuff you can do with pastas, try to avoid heavy breading or heavy frying with whatever you do.