PDA

View Full Version : Newbies

Master Shake
05-26-2014, 12:53 PM
I do think we need to do something to get newbies more familar with the site... I mean I don't want to keep ripping from another forum but I think a newbie scavenger hunt or something along that lines would be really helpful... I see boards all the time on questions that are already answered people just dont know where/how to find them.

I'm sorry I'm making boards back to back..

j03
05-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Well of course we all want newbies to be familiar with the forum areas + rules, who doesn't want that? But I ain't doing some scavenger hunt. Got anything else in mind?

Master Shake
05-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Well of course we all want newbies to be familiar with the forum areas + rules, who doesn't want that? But I ain't doing some scavenger hunt. Got anything else in mind?
Thats all I can think of atm... Maybe someone has some more ideas?

|2eap
05-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Yea, tag them in posts. get them involved. bring them into TC sessions, make it a point to take them under your wing and show them the do's and dont's

Bettser
05-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Infamous Joe , maybe prompt them to automatically go to the rules page so when they break rules theres no excuses since they were forced to read them :)

simmie
05-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Well what I do is when I have time, I go to introductions/talk to my newbie buyers, get to know them and see if they have any questions. It works quite well, and it's fun to get to know someone 1:1! actually doing it right now with a certain devious :rolleyes:

Just basically talk to the newbies, try and make friends? people are more likely to come out of their shell if they have a friend.

Targaryen
05-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I have seen ALOT of new people on the forum lately so maybe some type of approach would be good ^_^
though I'm still kinda a newb myself compared to most xD

I_royalty_I
05-26-2014, 02:08 PM
I don't think many people would wanna do a scavenger hunt, I could be wrong though.
The best way imo is just to get them involved. If they post, don't be rude and tell them to read the rules, answer the question. It won't take that long to help out and maybe they looked and couldn't find the answer themselves. It's little things like that that keep people around.
I like to think everyone here is friendly and helpful, it's the littlest things that go the furthest. Don't let me down :P

Naked Gamer
05-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Add a auto message upon joining to there PMs that directs them to rules and all that good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

I don't think many people would wanna do a scavenger hunt, I could be wrong though.
The best way imo is just to get them involved. If they post, don't be rude and tell them to read the rules, answer the question. It won't take that long to help out and maybe they looked and couldn't find the answer themselves. It's little things like that that keep people around.
I like to think everyone here is friendly and helpful, it's the littlest things that go the furthest. Don't let me down :P

I would for Master Clraik lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|2eap
05-26-2014, 03:28 PM
new friends pt. 1 and pt. 2 got a lot of ppl involved

Skarl
05-26-2014, 03:49 PM

No offense, Love, but isn't it a user's responsibility to make themselves familiar with the site..?

Agreed. Banannie is generous enough as it is!

Maths
05-26-2014, 04:02 PM
If you love that forum so much you can always go make your life there. Good luck speaking with the 14 online members.

Maki
05-26-2014, 04:04 PM
If you love that forum so much you can always go make your life there. Good luck speaking with the 14 online members.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Bang bang

Skarl
05-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Shh ily and Mint and so many other ppl who aren't currently on. y r you being mean to me?

OR WAS THIS IN REFERENCE TO Master Shake's obvious defiance?!
(bc I agree with you there)
(sorry, Boo)

Jager
05-26-2014, 04:40 PM
I think doing a scavenger hunt is a waste of not only the mods time but also the members time. I would throw fireballs if it was implemented.

Skarl
05-26-2014, 04:40 PM
I think doing a scavenger hunt is a waste of not only the mods time but also the members time. I would throw fireballs if it was implemented.

Why not throw Jager Bombs?!

I_royalty_I
05-26-2014, 04:47 PM
new friends pt. 1 and pt. 2 got a lot of ppl involved

I think I've done 4 in the past, something like that.
Working on another soon too! :P

Jager
05-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Why not throw Jager Bombs?!

>;c I forgot! Throw the Jager bombs! ily mate.

rachel
05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Buddddyyyyyy systemmmmmm!
Hahahah, but really, I do think it's important for each of us to be more intentional and do our part to make new members feel welcome and included. <3

Master Shake
05-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Why be such a dick? fuck Im trying to help. I obviously like this site better.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

(bc I agree with you there)
(sorry, Boo)

Don't call me boo.

Sakuras
05-26-2014, 06:18 PM
From a "newbie's" perspective, I really like the buddy system idea that was brought up. Instead of asking the same questions that have been answered over and over again on the boards, they could just ask their buddy/mentor person? I know that would help me out a lot, so I don't have to keep posting redundant threads. Plus who doesn't love friendship?

Jordan
05-26-2014, 06:26 PM
We could possibly just have a Newbie FAQ section for them to read up on Infamous Joe
Many people hate reading big lists of rules, I have not even gotten around to reading ALL of this site's rules. It is something many gloss over, but I am always curious to see some FAQ sections and such.

Skarl
05-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Don't call me boo.

Whoa. Someone's a grumpy Gus.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

From a "newbie's" perspective, I really like the buddy system idea that was brought up. Instead of asking the same questions that have been answered over and over again on the boards, they could just ask their buddy/mentor person? I know that would help me out a lot, so I don't have to keep posting redundant threads. Plus who doesn't love friendship?

I think this is a good plan. I don't mind buddying up to a newbie or three. No more than three though. Got stuff to do.

Sakuras
05-26-2014, 06:29 PM
We could possibly just have a Newbie FAQ section for them to read up on Infamous Joe
Many people hate reading big lists of rules, I have not even gotten around to reading ALL of this site's rules. It is something many gloss over, but I am always curious to see some FAQ sections and such.

Newbie FAQ isn't a bad idea, but you should still be like "hey you need to read the rules, and PS: this FAQ will be able to help you out too." I feel like you can't just have the FAQ. But I think having a FAQ and buddy system could work really well together.

Banannie
05-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Newbie giveaways could be fun. Something small like a two mil shell. :)

With contests like the v day one, choosing people that are newish and not yet well known will make them feel like they stood out in the crowd of people on this site longer.

Maybe have reunions for the older members who don't know anyone anymore, or a special tc for old and new members to get to know each other? I've noticed that some people who were in this forum a lot in the past feel like newbies because they don't know many people anymore, so try and reach out to them too. :)

Generally, just try not to be too shy or cliquish with new members and treat them like friends you don't know yet but want to make an effort to get to know. I need to post in the newbie section more often, but 'Hi welcome to clraik' seems to automated.

Reaching out to people is the best way, I noticed Andrew friends friends the newbies in here, if they seem like someone you wanna get to know then do the same?

Skarl
05-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Reaching out to people is the best way, I noticed Andrew friends friends the newbies in here, if they seem like someone you wanna get to know then do the same?

Andrew just likes to pretend he's popular though... :P

Jordan
05-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Newbie FAQ isn't a bad idea, but you should still be like "hey you need to read the rules, and PS: this FAQ will be able to help you out too." I feel like you can't just have the FAQ. But I think having a FAQ and buddy system could work really well together.

Well of course the first FAQ would be like "What should I do first?" then you say "Read the rules forund here" or something like that :P

Sakuras
05-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Well of course the first FAQ would be like "What should I do first?" then you say "Read the rules forund here" or something like that :P

Oh okay I gotcha. Direct them to the rules first and foremost and THEN you can be all like "what do I do from here/how do i cheat on teh ne0petz lolz"

Maki
05-26-2014, 07:06 PM
If the buddy system does happen, I'm already dreading the "can U teech me 2 hak into accts plz/where do u get ur stock can i have some" people :P

Sakuras
05-26-2014, 07:09 PM
If the buddy system does happen, I'm already dreading the "can U teech me 2 hak into accts plz/where do u get ur stock can i have some" people :P

This is a good point... maybe get newbies to fill out a survey or something to tell you guys what exactly they want to get out of the site/it's resources? And you can approve certain people and weed out trolls so then that doesn't happen.

Jordan
05-26-2014, 07:11 PM

...I would be one of these people xD haha jk
But |2eap has skillz I need to learn :P

Master Shake
05-26-2014, 07:21 PM

That he does^

Raj
05-26-2014, 07:27 PM
This is a good point... maybe get newbies to fill out a survey or something to tell you guys what exactly they want to get out of the site/it's resources? And you can approve certain people and weed out trolls so then that doesn't happen.

what would stop the trolls from simply lying about their responses though? idk this would be better off unimplemented but the buddy system doesn't sound like a terrible idea

|2eap
05-26-2014, 08:12 PM
...I would be one of these people xD haha jk
But |2eap has skillz I need to learn :P

That he does^

That I do. :rolleyes:

Master Shake
05-26-2014, 08:26 PM
That I do. :rolleyes:
teach me your ways?

Jordan
05-26-2014, 08:35 PM
teach me your ways?

Reported for harassing xD

Master Shake
05-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Reported for harassing xD
\-__-/

|2eap
05-26-2014, 08:48 PM
teach me your ways?

Rule number one, trust no one.
rule number two, dont talk to anyone other than friendly convo.
rule number three, your business is your business :P
rule number four, broaden your horizons.
rule number five, dont be scared to fail

Buizel
05-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Wise words everybody take notes

j03
05-26-2014, 09:04 PM
In the process of making a cK Newbie F.A.Q.

PM me if you want something to be on there!

dexter1ty
05-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I think it'd be more fun to have time invested into having an IRC chat...

Jordan
05-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Rule number one, trust no one.
rule number two, dont talk to anyone other than friendly convo.
rule number three, your business is your business :P
rule number four, broaden your horizons.
rule number five, dont be scared to fail

The master has spoken :o_o:

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

In the process of making a cK Newbie F.A.Q.

PM me if you want something to be on there!

Sorry for DP, but does this mean I had good idea?!?! :D :O

Skarl
05-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Sorry for DP, but does this mean I had good idea?!?! :D :O

Pretty sure this means that lots of people on this thread, including Master Shake, had a good idea. :P

j03
05-26-2014, 09:54 PM
I think it'd be more fun to have time invested into having an IRC chat...

These never work out well for a forum TBH

Jordan
05-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Pretty sure this means that lots of people on this thread, including Master Shake, had a good idea. :P

Way to rain on my parade xD

Skarl
05-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Way to rain on my parade xD

Ya still scored an Infamous Joe "thanks." I've never seen him do that before (or I just haven't noticed).
(I got one, too! We're in a club) (ily it's ok!) (<3)

QueenNothing
05-26-2014, 11:15 PM
OH so this is why I got the "The administrators want you to view a thread before you continue to browse the forum.

You can view the thread here" message

I was shocked/slightly freaked out to be honest haha! I thought I broke some rule or something. Which would be weird, cause I read all forum rules the first day and I'm such a good girl :angel:

Jordan
05-27-2014, 12:01 AM
QueenNothing
Yeah I thought I was in trouble for something I said on here at first xD
Skarl
Yay!! We shall now continue to work towards getting more IJ thanks from him!

j03
05-27-2014, 12:30 AM
(I got one, too! We're in a club) (ily it's ok!) (<3)

You've missed the previous 952 thanks I've given. B)

Skarl
05-27-2014, 12:33 AM
You've missed the previous 952 thanks I've given. B)

I'm not a good stalker, Mr. Triplet.
The rain comes heavy today, jeez. :( Thunder and lightning, too, 'eh?
(jk)

Naked Gamer
05-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Love that Admin message hopefully more Newbies and just everyone in general will be more informed.

k80
06-07-2014, 02:01 AM
I think a little dictionary of abbreviations people use could help newbies assimilate easier. Some of the ones I came in unfamiliar with are AoB, HB, AB... I know there are others but I'm blanking on them. This forum is like a whole new world for previously-legit players, so minimizing the alphabet soup might help!

Sakuras
06-07-2014, 09:58 AM
I think a little dictionary of abbreviations people use could help newbies assimilate easier. Some of the ones I came in unfamiliar with are AoB, HB, AB... I know there are others but I'm blanking on them. This forum is like a whole new world for previously-legit players, so minimizing the alphabet soup might help!

I agree with this, I'm still a little lost with some of the abbreviations...

Master Shake
06-07-2014, 02:39 PM

AskJeeves
06-28-2014, 06:35 PM
I do think we need to do something to get newbies more familar with the site... I mean I don't want to keep ripping from another forum but I think a newbie scavenger hunt or something along that lines would be really helpful... I see boards all the time on questions that are already answered people just dont know where/how to find them.

I like this idea, Master Shake!

Master Shake
06-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Well it was already shot down by mods so it's not going to happen :/

AskJeeves
06-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Master Shake doesn't mean it's a bad idea though.

Slybele
06-28-2014, 11:56 PM
I completely agree with the abbreviation list.. that would be majorly helpful. I wondered about AoB.. something about auto-buying?

Perhaps a Newbies Asking Questions thread would be helpful. Then we could read through that as we most probably have very similar questions by the third or fourth day. Also for clarification. I read the thread about Rep. I know it's important and it has to do with earning trust but.. yeah, still a couple questions about that lol.

Maybe having it just below the Introductions thread would work. I PM enough as it is and thank you to those who help (you know who you are) and wouldn't wanna wear out my welcome with a buddy.

Skarl
06-29-2014, 12:28 AM
I PM enough as it is and thank you to those who help (you know who you are) and wouldn't wanna wear out my welcome with a buddy.
I have no problem helping you or anyone else new to the site. There are a ton of guides available whenever y'all browse forms, but I think the best suggestion I've read is about the abbreviation list. A Q&A thread would be fantastic, too. :)

Detox
06-30-2014, 04:48 PM

I agree with this, I'm still a little lost with some of the abbreviations...

I completely agree with the abbreviation list.. that would be majorly helpful. I wondered about AoB.. something about auto-buying?

Perhaps a Newbies Asking Questions thread would be helpful. Then we could read through that as we most probably have very similar questions by the third or fourth day. Also for clarification. I read the thread about Rep. I know it's important and it has to do with earning trust but.. yeah, still a couple questions about that lol.

Maybe having it just below the Introductions thread would work. I PM enough as it is and thank you to those who help (you know who you are) and wouldn't wanna wear out my welcome with a buddy.

MMM.. something like this?? [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I saw many people were complaining about not knowing many abbreviations, so a couple of days ago made that guide

Skarl
06-30-2014, 04:58 PM

I saw many people were complaining about not knowing many abbreviations, so a couple of days ago made that guide

Welp, there went the idea Slybele and I were working on. The guide is great! I'll be giving you +rep shortly.

Not that this needs to be reiterated, but I will mention it again: I am ready and willing to help any newbies to clraik with whatever questions may arise. I might not always have an answer, but chances are I know awesome folks like Master Shake that do! :)

Detox
06-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Welp, there went the idea Slybele and I were working on.

Sory to hear about that..

If you find that there is something missing dont doubt and tell me and I can add it to the guide.

k80
07-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Yes! Though it doesn't have AoB yet :P, nor what I assume is the "other" AB in terms of buying UCs/Accts and often pairs with HB - I've assume it stands for like Automatic Bid or something else like "offer this price and it's yours".

Skarl
07-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Yes! Though it doesn't have AoB yet :P, nor what I assume is the "other" AB in terms of buying UCs/Accts and often pairs with HB - I've assume it stands for like Automatic Bid or something else like "offer this price and it's yours".

AB for automatic bid or autobuy is fine. HB is high bid. :)
AoB is Alcohol On Breath, right?!?!?!

Detox
07-01-2014, 12:00 PM

AOB stands for array of bytes.. By using a program called cheat engine you can change some codes on flash player games to make them a lot easier. Some use AOB to get trohpies, avatars, etc.. And its safer than score sending

Here you can find some more info about it [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Master Shake
07-01-2014, 01:17 PM
AoB is Alcohol On Breath, right?!?!?!

Lolz^^^

k80
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Don't drink and Neopet.

AOB stands for array of bytes.. By using a program called cheat engine you can change some codes on flash player games to make them a lot easier. Some use AOB to get trohpies, avatars, etc.. And its safer than score sending

Here you can find some more info about it [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I know, I looked it up myself when I first came across it. I just meant that you quoted my post to link to your guide, but your guide only had one of the three acronyms I mentioned in the post you quoted :P