PDA

View Full Version : Best computer for programming degrees?:/

Skylily
04-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Kind of an awkward question.
I wanted to know what a good computer would be to do programming with. So I don't end up in all my classes with some artsy fartsy macbook and everyone else has PCs.

Zachafer
04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Not a mac book. Anything with decent specs will do.

I'd recommend a laptop for portability. I don't know what your budget is, but an Intel i5 laptop would be perfect.

j03
04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Like Zachafer said, any decent laptop purchased from a retail store will do. Most of the IDE's you will use in school for programming will not use much of your computers resources, so a high-end laptop will be a waste. Also, stay away from Mac's. :P

Skylily
04-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Eh unlimited budget in theory but I don't want to go wild.

I've ALWAYS used a Mac so really, I would love to get like exact models that are best x)

Zachafer
04-29-2014, 02:17 AM
If this is in your budget, this would be great. You can run pretty much anything :P

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Skylily
04-29-2014, 01:38 PM
If this is in your budget, this would be great. You can run pretty much anything :P

Thanks! Yes $500 is in my budget xD
Not big on touch laptops at all though lol

DarkByte
05-01-2014, 05:11 AM
just avoid dells , they are crap. The ventalation on them sucks and theres a bug in alot of wireless cards they use (even the one in my 2 laptops) that means if you close ur laptops lid and it gos into sleep mode then ur internet will slow down to a crawl. The only way to fix it is to disable then re-enable the wireless card.

I have blown speakers and have to use a laptop cooler. It also overheats playing tower defense games. So yeah stay clear of dell.

Facade
05-14-2014, 05:25 PM
My advice is to go with a standard 15.6'' laptop, personally I love ASUS but I'm biased. I know a lot of people who think that for education purposes Lenovo is a solid choice.
Honestly, I would never get a Mac laptop again if I were you. They're good for basic browsing and artsy things, but if you want something with a bit of power behind it, you're better off with a PC.

Rambo
05-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Macs are awesome and are high quality. But alas, windows is the most common OS, so you should use it so you can reach the most users.
(Linux is the best OS, but thats for real geeks)

Carnage
05-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Macs are awesome and are high quality. But alas, windows is the most common OS, so you should use it so you can reach the most users.
(Linux is the best OS, but thats for real geeks)

Doesn't really have much to do with what the most common OS is. There are many cross-platform programming languages.