PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible to have display names?

angeldust
04-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Like, normally forums have the username you signed up with, which cannot be changed, and then the ability to edit your custom display name.
If this is covered in a clraik rank, feel free to tell me to shut up. :c I just didn't see it listed as a perk anywhere, nor with VIP.

Forever
04-18-2014, 11:29 PM
I second this. I've seen plenty of people get their username changed by staff anyway, lol.

I_royalty_I
04-18-2014, 11:35 PM
What would be the difference between a display name and a username?
I don't see much of a difference.

You can change your username by PMing staff, we will change it for you.
But if you ask to have it changed ALL the time, we will not be doing that. :P

We just don't need people changing their names constantly because then we wouldn't know who is who lol

angeldust
04-18-2014, 11:42 PM
I_royalty_I
I had no idea people could do that, actually. x3
But it would also make it so people can do it as many times as they want, including without pestering staff each time. XD
And people sometimes regret the username they signed up with, but are happy to change their display name.

Like... how on Wajas you can sign up with JoeSchmoe835385 but the user regrets it and can change their display name to WarlordJoe idk.

If staff is happy with the way things are now, that's fine, it was only an idea. x3

I_royalty_I
04-18-2014, 11:45 PM
@I_royalty_I ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
I had no idea people could do that, actually. x3
But it would also make it so people can do it as many times as they want, including without pestering staff each time. XD
And people sometimes regret the username they signed up with, but are happy to change their display name.

Like... how on Wajas you can sign up with JoeSchmoe835385 but the user regrets it and can change their display name to WarlordJoe idk.

If staff is happy with the way things are now, that's fine, it was only an idea. x3

Yeah we have it so that members cannot change their usernames.
It would probably be more of a pain than anything to implement something like that, but I'm not sure. But if you sign up with a nae and regret it, you can PM staff and we will change it for you.
But like I said, the last thing we need is everyone being able to change their name an infinite amount of times. Things would get a little bit crazy haha

angeldust
04-18-2014, 11:50 PM
I_royalty_I
I completely understand! It makes it harder to make cases on users and stuff too if they scam and all, so, yeah. c: Though, I sort of wonder how the others feel, since you mention you wonder how hard it would be to implement.
But you could also do something, like so many changes a week or so, or even like "You get one / two / three change(s) as a newbie. You must become clraik Official (a rank off of the top of my head) / VIP for unlimited changes."
(Sorry if I sound so bossy, omg. Once I get ideas I literally cannot shut up.)

But thanks for telling me I can do that, I'll contact someone if I decide on a new name. x3

I_royalty_I
04-18-2014, 11:58 PM
@I_royalty_I ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
I completely understand! It makes it harder to make cases on users and stuff too if they scam and all, so, yeah. c: Though, I sort of wonder how the others feel, since you mention you wonder how hard it would be to implement.
But you could also do something, like so many changes a week or so, or even like "You get one / two / three change(s) as a newbie. You must become clraik Official (a rank off of the top of my head) / VIP for unlimited changes."
(Sorry if I sound so bossy, omg. Once I get ideas I literally cannot shut up.)

But thanks for telling me I can do that, I'll contact someone if I decide on a new name. x3

Youre fine! :P
I don't mind hearing any ideas anybody has, that's why we have this section. I was just giving you a realistic answer.
It would be something we could look into, but I don't think we would ever make it possible to make unlimited username changes. I'm sure some others will post here eventually and give their opinions.
The only way I can see something where the users could change their own names would be if there was a username change history. I have been on a few sites where usernames were changed and then some random higher ranked person seemingly just poofed out of nowhere and I had no idea who they were.

angeldust
04-19-2014, 12:05 AM
I_royalty_I
Oh yes, a username history would actually be fantastic! And I understand why there wouldn't be unlimited name changes, I just thought it'd be a nice perk for someone who's worked (or bought) their standing on this site, heh.
I can't wait to see feedback from others, really... and see what possible ideas about this others can come up with. x3

Naked Gamer
04-19-2014, 04:21 AM
Don't Display names just cover up the Username?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angeldust
04-19-2014, 12:11 PM
scarmans
Yes, but the username is normally visible by going to the profile, it'll show up in the URL.

Naked Gamer
04-19-2014, 12:24 PM
scarmans
Yes, but the username is normally visible by going to the profile, it'll show up in the URL.

Ah sick, that would be awesome then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk