PDA

View Full Version : Minimalist Theme

txtsd
04-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Most of the time I find myself scrolling through ridiculous lengths of empty space or unnecessarily large sigs, and it has really started to annoy me. Especially since I have the "40 posts per page" option selected because I like to see more information at once.

I would like a minimalist forum theme with these:

The information underneath the avatar isn't critical. That can be reduced to a collapsed segment. Expand on demand.
I know avatars and signatures can be turned off, but that hampers the forum experience. I'd like for the images to be downsized 50-80%
Either a smaller default font size, or pixel-perfect fonts
The signature only starts after the information under the avatar ends. This is unnecessary. Have the signature start immediately at the end of the post content.
8bit icons to go along with the theme

If a mod wants, I could provide a mockup or help with creating the theme.

Lilac Tentacles
04-04-2014, 11:32 PM
I like my phone app for that. It cuts the crap and gets to the posting.

Raj
04-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Why not just use the Tapatalk app, it works great for me and doesn't show sigs

Wenis
04-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Because dealing with everything thru that app is kinda frustrating, also not everyone has access to it

Raj
04-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Because dealing with everything thru that app is kinda frustrating, also not everyone has access to it

it's better than all the sigs and such though
and tru, if you have an iphone/android you'll be set (most people do nowadays)

nitro
04-05-2014, 02:14 AM
This is one of the reasons I don't like clraik that much :P
Too much empty space wasted in signatures :(

Alleria
04-05-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm really not a fan of the layout format here either :P It's so confusing! I might need to switch my skin though.

j03
04-05-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm really not a fan of the layout format here either :P It's so confusing! I might need to switch my skin though.

How is it confusing? vB4 is known for being one of the most basic layouts for an online forum. O_o With the exception of a FEW modifications made visible to the community, it is very easy using vB4 to navigate around the site. Please share with us what you find confusing? :P

And if the OP wants, go right ahead and make us the forum style. If it's worthy, I will add it to the site. :P

txtsd
04-05-2014, 04:10 PM
And if the OP wants, go right ahead and make us the forum style. If it's worthy, I will add it to the site. :P

On it.

Alleria
04-05-2014, 04:12 PM
How is it confusing? vB4 is known for being one of the most basic layouts for an online forum. O_o With the exception of a FEW modifications made visible to the community, it is very easy using vB4 to navigate around the site. Please share with us what you find confusing? :P

I wasn't trying to offend anyone :P I'm just used to very clean cut formatting (IPB). I don't think it's vB4 as much as all the user information on the side bars and profiles, it's just a lot of text to take in.

I will say, I had the hot pink skin on and changed it to the default and it's waaaaay more pleasant to look at now :P

Jordan
04-09-2014, 09:01 PM

No offense, but vB4 is also known to be one of the laughing stocks of the forum software industry. I have heard similar things about the layout making, but I have only read up on chats, discussions, etc. Apparently, vB4 is known for having huge past security issues that made it lose loads of credibility.

j03
04-09-2014, 09:08 PM
No offense, but vB4 is also known to be one of the laughing stocks of the forum software industry. I have heard similar things about the layout making, but I have only read up on chats, discussions, etc. Apparently, vB4 is known for having huge past security issues that made it lose loads of credibility.

Point me in the direction of this crowd of laughing stocks?

This forum was attacked once, and it was completely my fault for giving someone remote access to some of the file manager. We've come a long way since.

When a security issue arises, the vBulletin team sends an email out and of course, I'm always quick to patch the site without most people noticing. If you know what you're doing, then you'll be fine. It doesn't take a genius, but it does take someone with a bit of experience. I started out as a vBulletin noob, and now I know my way around for the most part. :)

Jordan
04-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Point me in the direction of this crowd of laughing stocks?

This forum was attacked once, and it was completely my fault for giving someone remote access to some of the file manager. We've come a long way since.

When a security issue arises, the vBulletin team sends an email out and of course, I'm always quick to patch the site without most people noticing. If you know what you're doing, then you'll be fine. It doesn't take a genius, but it does take someone with a bit of experience. I started out as a vBulletin noob, and now I know my way around for the most part. :)

Oh, in no way was I attacking this forum or you directly. I am sure you and the great team of programmers here are pretty fine when it comes to vB4 exploits or security issues. If you go on various other Webmaster or Admin forums, you can see where most feel vBulletin has lost a lot of footing with the forum community due to their past. I do not know all the details, but what I read seems to make since for the most part. One of the problems many have is the theme creation process for it, but not everyone feels that way, but I personally could see it as confusing.

Side note, I am sure you know what to do when it comes to the forum software. I mean obviously, look at this place :D