PDA

View Full Version : drunk in love - beyonce

Shinji
02-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Ok so I know it's sorta old news that about her new album and stuff, and overall I liked it. But in one of my classes (Black Feminist Theory) in the first day we talked about how problematic her song "Drunk in Love" is when Jay-Z raps "I'm Ike Turner, turn up, eat the cake Annie Mae, I said eat the cake Annie Mae." Which is basically quoting from Tina Turner's biopic quoting a scene of domestic violence when basically Ike forces Tina(Annie Mae was her real name) to eat the cake by shoving it in her face, and assaulting an employee that was trying to help her.

thoughts?????

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

this is basically a piece sort of explaining what I was talking about

fairydust201
02-25-2014, 01:11 AM
some more explaining about the song . if you didn't no " surfboard " is a sex position as well ;) in case if any body was wondering why she say's that in the song.

I_royalty_I
02-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Personally, I think that songs are just songs and I don't usually like to read too much further into them. I can empathize with the topic, but I listen to music to listen to music. If I wanted to worry about current issues, I'd read up on the news and stuff like that.
I haven't really seen that particular biopic that was referenced, but I can get an idea of where the concern lies from the article you linked to. It will be interesting to see what the people who kept complaining about the Blurred Lines song will think about Beyonces Drunk in Love... I see them as along similar lines in a way?

some more explaining about the song . if you didn't no " surfboard " is a sex position as well ;) in case if any body was wondering why she say's that in the song.

Also, I feel like this had to be posted

Shinji
02-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Personally, I think that songs are just songs and I don't usually like to read too much further into them. I can empathize with the topic, but I listen to music to listen to music. If I wanted to worry about current issues, I'd read up on the news and stuff like that.
I haven't really seen that particular biopic that was referenced, but I can get an idea of where the concern lies from the article you linked to. It will be interesting to see what the people who kept complaining about the Blurred Lines song will think about Beyonces Drunk in Love... I see them as along similar lines in a way?

Also, I feel like this had to be posted

I completely agree with you. For all we know it's a joke between both of them. Other feminist classes I've been in said similar things when Blurred Lines came out, but in reality it was a song he wrote for his wife, like it's not about rape. But i'm with you in not reading too much into things, because what do we really know for a fact, until they explain what they're talking about :p

and omg that video

i think this deserves some attention too LOL

Freja
02-25-2014, 02:01 AM
I don't get why Beyonc� would associate herself with something like that, and in some sense I think it's wrong. On the other hand I also agree that a song is a song, and one of my fave musicians ever is Eminem :P I know a lot of people are offended by his lyrics but he doesn't give af. I don't really see why I'd feel any different with Beyonc� but meh. I could see how it'd be offensive to some but not because of color. Idk :P

nebulas
02-25-2014, 08:22 AM
that thing in drunk in love sounds pretty weird/bad to me :/

also, blurred lines is definitely awful, and it doesnt matter what he intended when he wrote that shit because it puts toxic ideas in peoples minds about consent.
music does not exist in a vacuum, you cant really separate it from social issues.

edit: i was reading the article after i posted this and this paragraph here-

"Beyonce: when you smile affectionately and sing along with that lyric, you are propagating a cycle of humiliation, of rape, of violence that is still horrifically real for women all over the world. The fact that Tina Turner broke the cycle by no means makes it acceptable for you to try to make her situation a sexy one."

- is kind of bugging me. because yes that is all true, but really now, beyonce is way better with this stuff than a lot of other artists, and yet they dont get this shit thrown at them.

Shinji
02-25-2014, 08:50 AM
I don't get why Beyonc� would associate herself with something like that, and in some sense I think it's wrong. On the other hand I also agree that a song is a song, and one of my fave musicians ever is Eminem :P I know a lot of people are offended by his lyrics but he doesn't give af. I don't really see why I'd feel any different with Beyonc� but meh. I could see how it'd be offensive to some but not because of color. Idk :P

From what I understand, the reason why some Feminists are upset is because she's claimed a feminist identity within her album and in public spaces, but contradicts that identity in ways like the Ike Turner line.
At least that's what we discussed in lecture :p and it made sense to me

Demetri
02-25-2014, 08:59 AM
You'll have a bad time reading into a lot of lyrics. Especially a verse that was freestyled

Shinji
02-25-2014, 10:06 AM
You'll have a bad time reading into a lot of lyrics. Especially a verse that was freestyled

Freestyle in the moment or not, the song was clearly edited and they all heard it multiple times.

As much as I want to believe that he freestyled it, the extensive editing the song probably had regardless, purely because it's a big name artist and big name label, wouldn't excuse it
I mean hey for all we know it's an inside joke about their kinky sex life :P

Brett
02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
The thing is though, as offensive as it may be to some people; he's fucking Jay-Z.

He can say whatever he wants.

He just made spousal abuse and rape cool.

Pabla
02-25-2014, 11:39 AM
The thing is though, as offensive as it may be to some people; he's fucking Jay-Z.

He can say whatever he wants.

He just made spousal abuse and rape cool.

Those things have always been cool, certainly within some demographics anyway... Eminem springs to mind.

That lyric is bad and he should feel bad.

Just read the lyrics to Blurred Lines (lol I didn't know it by name only as the requisite soundtrack to my tragic scenes of attempted debauchery and outright failed dancing) ANYWHO: I don't think that song mocks abuse of women any more so than Rihanna's S&M (though granted the contexts are invariably different). The Jay Z thing is worse IMO.

Brett
02-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Those things have always been cool, certainly within some demographics anyway... Eminem springs to mind.

That lyric is bad and he should feel bad.

Just read the lyrics to Blurred Lines (lol I didn't know it by name only as the requisite soundtrack to my tragic scenes of attempted debauchery and outright failed dancing) ANYWHO: I don't think that song mocks abuse of women any more so than Rihanna's S&M (though granted the contexts are invariably different). The Jay Z thing is worse IMO.

But why?

Would you rather him say "I'm gonna face fuck you and you're going to fucking like it?"

What difference does it make.

He wants to be vulgar and disrespectful lol.

This isn't some slip of the tongue, he knows what he's doing.

Clearly it worked, arousing interest and hype either which way.

I just think people are too sensitive these days.

Pabla
02-25-2014, 11:48 AM
But why?

Would you rather him say "I'm gonna face fuck you and you're going to fucking like it?"

What difference does it make.

He wants to be vulgar and disrespectful lol.

This isn't some slip of the tongue, he knows what he's doing.

Clearly it worked, arousing interest and hype either which way.

I just think people are too sensitive these days.

So my options are:
A ) Eat the cake Annie Mae
B ) I'm gonna face fuck you and you're going to fucking like it

I choose C) Marry Ellen Degeneres.

Brett
02-25-2014, 11:52 AM
So my options are:

You're still gonna end up eating that cake.

Naked Gamer
02-25-2014, 11:56 AM
So my options are:

I want to see those papers lmao

Doesn't matter about Lyrics most people don't look into it, if the music sounds good and has good beats etc it's a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Ellans cake

Pabla
02-25-2014, 11:57 AM

You clearly want me to address your manhood directly: Shhh, my love, be still in thy sheath.

Naked Gamer
02-25-2014, 12:01 PM
You clearly want me to address your manhood directly: Shhh, my love, be still in thy sheath.

You can't really win this as the world is basically against you Hence the top 40 charts.

Brett
02-25-2014, 01:01 PM

I was talking about Ellen Degeneres' vagina.

Shinji
02-25-2014, 01:06 PM

probably true

bsbgales
03-11-2014, 12:24 PM
For me it sounded kinda old and confusing, the rap part, well, i`m a woman so that is quite annoying for me to hear in this day and age and the video is sooo odd for a girl to watch!

Vindictive
03-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Cake cake cake cake!

h t x
03-15-2014, 10:41 PM
lolololololol.

Cute
03-16-2014, 03:31 PM
i feel like beyonce is too perfect to even judge for what she sings about or stands up for but WEIRd yeah

Miri
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
surfboart
surfboart

so good tho