PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Running/Jogging in the Winter - Advice?

super-pudu
12-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey guys!

I've been jogging for about two and a half years now, but until this year I have been switching to treadmill running as soon as the weather turns cold. However, I have recently been looking into the concept of outdoor winter jogging.

I live in Southern Ontario, so it gets fairly cold here during the Winter months. I've noticed while running in colder weather, I experience a slight shortness of breath, and can't run for nearly as long (25-35 minutes as opposed to 45-60).

Does anybody experience similar problems, or have any ideas of how to counteract this? Thanks in advance!

Mod
12-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Hany ideas of how to counteract this? Thanks in advance!

Yeah, don't go running in the winter.

Snow
12-23-2013, 08:05 AM
I think that might have something to do with the air being cold and dry? You could try wearing a scarf over your mouth and nose, I see people do that sometimes. Also a gentle warm up is very important when the temperatures drop. I sometimes skip that during Summer (being lazy n all) but I find it's essential in Winter.

Good luck! Jogging in the Winter is amazing, I so much prefer it over any other season.

super-pudu
12-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah, don't go running in the winter.

OH MY GOD. YOU'RE A GENIUS. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE? ;)

I think that might have something to do with the air being cold and dry? You could try wearing a scarf over your mouth and nose, I see people do that sometimes. Also a gentle warm up is very important when the temperatures drop. I sometimes skip that during Summer (being lazy n all) but I find it's essential in Winter.

Good luck! Jogging in the Winter is amazing, I so much prefer it over any other season.

I figured it had something to do with the dry air :3 I'll try that out, thanks so much Snow!

janikanicolepi
12-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Hmm, I recall hearing from somewhere that your body needs to heat up the cold air after you inhale it , thus may be why you aren't able to run as long of a distance. You can always try wearing a scarf/mask thus you don't inhale cold air directly so your body don't have to waste energy to warm the air back. The mask will help keep your lung nice and moist.