PDA

View Full Version : Help please!! Elem. Statistics

coldtowelz
09-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Trying to figure out the correct sample space is driving me crazy! i've tried three times already, and it's preventing me from answering everything else for this problem :chargrined:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

|2eap
09-07-2013, 12:56 PM
I beleeve part A is just (3,4) since it starts with a 3 or 4 and next number is even and the totals equal 7
mis read, they are up to 7 so i'd say its like tihs
(4,2), (4,1), (3,1), (3,4), (3,2), (3,3), (4,3)
bart B
1/3 x 1/2 = 1/6

part c
21/36 = 7/12 ( got 21 possabilities of 2 die thrown not going over 7 and 36 total pairs possible.)

maybe.
it confuses me with the 0's in it but you cant get 0 on a 6 sided die X_X

coldtowelz

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

or i could be wrong about the sample space. what could be messing you up is the two numbers going over 8 as i saw a few times when i was checking and the use of 0's. no zeros on a die

coldtowelz
09-07-2013, 01:06 PM
jdswatsup the 0 not being on a die i understand - i should've realized that. I wanna slap myself right now. :hopelessness:

but the 'Let B be the event that the sum of the two rolls is at most 7', they're only referring to the rolls that have 3 or 4 in the first roll? or do they mean any kind of roll? like {1,3}

|2eap
09-07-2013, 01:12 PM
or i could be wrong about the sample space. what could be messing you up is the two numbers going over 8 as i saw a few times when i was checking and the use of 0's. no zeros on a die

coldtowelz
09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
and about the two numbers going over 8, i thought it wouldn't matter as long as the first number was 3 or 4, and the second number would be even. i thought that A and B were supposed to be two completely different sets of rolls. if that makes any sense?

|2eap
09-07-2013, 01:18 PM
jdswatsup the 0 not being on a die i understand - i should've realized that. I wanna slap myself right now. :hopelessness:

but the 'Let B be the event that the sum of the two rolls is at most 7', they're only referring to the rolls that have 3 or 4 in the first roll? or do they mean any kind of roll? like {1,3}

yea thats what i was thinking too. i was going to say try both.
7/12 is for all possibilities, I thought maybe it was just soley for part B and not the two together. its asking for the prob of Dice A alone so i dont see why Dice B isnt alone too. thus meaning that 7/12 would be the correct answer

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

and about the two numbers going over 8, i thought it wouldn't matter as long as the first number was 3 or 4, and the second number would be even. i thought that A and B were supposed to be two completely different sets of rolls. if that makes any sense?

this could be true. this is one thing i dont like about prob and stat because sometimes it can be unclear. i've learned to not over think it though.
the space pull could be either A&B together which would mean some of the answers above are wrong (the ones not followed by an even number)
or A&B seperate which i think it is. just do all that start with 3 or 4 and add up to be 7 or less. with no zeros

coldtowelz
09-07-2013, 03:06 PM
welp, i tried it with unchecking all the ones with 0 in it, and kept all that are under 7 and that doesn't start with 3 or 4 - in addition to the ones that start with 3 or 4 and even in the 2nd roll - and it was still wrong. -_- that was my last try too, and i ended up with a C on the assignment. I should've asked for help earlier! *sigh* oh well. thanks for the effort though, JD!

|2eap
09-07-2013, 03:56 PM
welp, i tried it with unchecking all the ones with 0 in it, and kept all that are under 7 and that doesn't start with 3 or 4 - in addition to the ones that start with 3 or 4 and even in the 2nd roll - and it was still wrong. -_- that was my last try too, and i ended up with a C on the assignment. I should've asked for help earlier! *sigh* oh well. thanks for the effort though, JD!

ah shit, we will get em next time!