PDA

View Full Version : Reasons on why people have babies? +rep

simmie
09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Before we start, I am looking for mature awnser. This is for my parenting class, and i'd like to keep this serious and mature, as I am getting a grade for this, thank you.

I am looking for about 15 reasons on why people have babies, and I only have about 3!
-Procreation
-Wanting to start a family
-Pressure from parents

They can be positive/negative reasons on why people have kids, as long as again, they are worded in a mature way, and something I can say to my teacher without her getting all mad. :P I'm willing to +rep for reasons, and +fullrep for a more detailed awnser. :) (I hope this is not considered cheating omg ;_; )

Ana
09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
-don't use birth control
-birth control fails
-friends are starting to have children

Demetri
09-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Mistake
Revenge

|2eap
09-06-2013, 12:52 PM
-They want another one.
-To carry on legacy, spittin image of your parents.

not trying to be immature with this one but some families need it and the kids are more then willing.
- to put children to work. (when they come of age)

Demetri
09-06-2013, 12:54 PM
To get benefits

SmileYaDead
09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Accidentally.
As revenge (on your partner)
To tie your partner to you (as in they'll stay if you get a baby, mainly goes for chicks)
They want a family
Forced by family
Forced by partner
They're idiots (teenagers :D)
To get on 16 and pregnant
Others are having, why not I (my ex had something like this in mind)
Babies are cute
To have an heir
Allergic to animals (no one to cuddle with :( )

Some are a little dumb.

I_royalty_I
09-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Next step in their parents lives/want to settle down

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I like how you said you are happy with your schedule because its challenging, then you come to ck for answers.
Tisk tisk Sam. Cheater cheater! :rolleyes:

Meagan
09-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I think a lot of people have children for the wrong reasons, they may have relationship problems and think a baby will fix things. Pregnancy, especially teenage pregnancy is glamorized, if you can get on tv you could make a lot of money for sharing your train wreck life. Financially there aren't a lot of benefits, in the U.S you do get a nice tax return but when you think of the cost of a child you aren't actually benefiting from this. In my state 2.5k cash for just giving birth still doesn't cover everything for the first year but if you're low income you may get assistance if needed. You may feel left out because everyone around you is starting a family so you and partner decide to try, or you may have an accidental pregnancy but refuse to terminate, pro-life, or for religious reasons. Rape, incest, one night stands, you may not even know you're pregnant till it's too late to terminate. Traditional and gestational surrogates may have children for someone else when they're in need of money, or they're completely selfless and want to help give a "gift" for the person that couldn't conceive. Having an affair and resulted in a pregnancy. Blackmail, tricking a man into a pregnancy for child support, alimony, etc.

I have a two year old and I'm 6 months pregnant with my second, my reasons to have another baby are different since they came after I was already pregnant. I'm not sure if it's helpful for you but I'll say it in case;

Feeling the baby's first kick while in the womb.

Hearing the first cry, first smile, first laugh, taking their first steps, first word, it's a never-ending list of accomplishments that some parents rejoice in.

Filling a hole in your heart that you never knew was there, it's an overwhelming feeling of love. I enjoy being a parent and I wish I could have many pregnancies.

Saru
09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
-Surrogacy (Having a child for an infertile couple)

dyinghearte
09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
- to fix a failed marriage

(this are pretty negative but...)
- to sell for drug addicton
- unwanted children from prostitution
- pay off debts

osiyo
09-06-2013, 03:45 PM
-Abandonment issues (I'll do so much better than my parents)
-Having someone to love
-to make the family they have always wanted
-to have someone to take care of them when they are old

-for money (Surrogates can earn $6,000+ dollars to birth someone else's baby)
- to match their friends/family's babies' ages
-to keep their partner tied to them for 18 years

-their partner wants one and they don't mind

IndigoSunset
09-06-2013, 03:50 PM
- Keep a relationship together
- To please an elderly relative (if their parents want grandkids before they die for example)
- As a physical expression of love
- To gain leverage in a potential future divorce
- To build a legacy (for example, to continue the family name)
- To claim child support from the state
- To get an advantage in claiming support from the state more generally
- To put up for adoption for an infertile or same-sex couple
- As an accidental pregnancy (eg. failure of contraception)
- As the result of rape
- Due to moral concerns about abortion
- To have someone to love and care for
- For tax-efficiency purposes (only for the mega rich)
- Jealousy of others with kids
- To increase the population (for example in Germany where birth rate is dropping)
- As a scheme of revenge
- For political reasons (this is more of a historical reason, such as the Roman Empire)
- Natural urge to produce offspring

simmie
09-06-2013, 05:33 PM
-Abandonment issues (I'll do so much better than my parents)
-Having someone to love
-to make the family they have always wanted
-to have someone to take care of them when they are old

-for money (Surrogates can earn $6,000+ dollars to birth someone else's baby)
- to match their friends/family's babies' ages
-to keep their partner tied to them for 18 years

-their partner wants one and they don't mind

In Canada (or at least, Ontario) you're not allowed to pay the surrogate for other than medical fees. :o
unless people pay them illegally?

thanks for the tips all (Even the dumb ones, I laughed so hard at that '16 and pregnant one. :P )

Allegra
09-06-2013, 05:52 PM
-they're trying to fill a void in their lives and are going about it the wrong way
-they might be at an age where they feel societal pressure to do so
-to provide a sibling for an existing child

Poem
09-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Before we start, I am looking for mature awnser. This is for my parenting class, and i'd like to keep this serious and mature, as I am getting a grade for this, thank you.

I am looking for about 15 reasons on why people have babies, and I only have about 3!
-Procreation
-Wanting to start a family
-Pressure from parents

They can be positive/negative reasons on why people have kids, as long as again, they are worded in a mature way, and something I can say to my teacher without her getting all mad. :P I'm willing to +rep for reasons, and +fullrep for a more detailed awnser. :) (I hope this is not considered cheating omg ;_; )

I haven't read through the two pages so I don't know if these have been mentioned. But here are my seven:

1. Society's pressure. Happy families with kids are everywhere in the media.
2. "A purpose for life ideology." After a couple is settled down, they might look for a new purpose and find it in child-rearing.
3. As an "investment" (but without the negative connotation). Once they are old, they want somebody to look after them and be proud of :)
4. As marriage glue to further their relationship.
5. Either parent wants another version of them or their partner.
6. For accidental reasons, one way or another (you can expand on this if you need more points)
7. Pressure from friends/other relatives