PDA

View Full Version : Merging Spam + General Discussion

Inq
01-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Honestly, I think both forums could probably do with being joined together. Yes, the general forum is supposed to be for more serious topics, however most possible serious topics are able to be discussed elsewhere (such as in the debate zone, real life situations forum, etc.)

I propose that the spam + general sub-forums should be merged, but that the forum games/giveaway section remain as separate entities.

I suggest that the rules for the new sub-forum would be as they are in the current incarnation of Spam section, with the one exception that posts there should count towards a user's post count. Basically, this mean that anything goes: anything but which is outlawed here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

(This post has been copy and pasted from something I posted yesterday: my apologies if you've already read this, but I believe that this is a more appropriate place to make the suggestion).

Khelddar
01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Wait so you want post count to go up when people post spam? Not to sure what you mean.

I think its good the way it is now.

Monark
01-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Wait so you want post count to go up when people post spam? Not to sure what you mean.

I think its good the way it is now.

Yep, from what I understood by reading. It will go up.

Slasher
01-22-2012, 01:01 PM
From what I understood, General chat + Spam should be together and posts shouldn't count?
For topics like "What is your favourite colour" I agree.

Ashleys165
01-22-2012, 01:29 PM
I say leave it as it is... I mean, then someone may spam on a more serious thread. That would get in the way too much.

Inq
01-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Don't you think it seems a little odd to not have posts count towards post counts, when we have the following stats for each sub forum?

SPAM:
Threads: 884

General:
Threads: 106

So, the spam section is approximately 10 times more active than the general section. More posts are made in spam than in everywhere else on the site combined: by quite a margin, even. The first place that I, for one, think of posting in, when I want something to reach the community as a whole, is the spam section, regardless of subject (if it does not fit somewhere else more specific): and I am sure I am the only one who feels this way.

The spam sub-forum is basically the social hub of the site, right now. A large percentage of the posts made there right now would easily qualify as valid posts in the general forum: and indeed, a large number of posts in the general forum may easily be described as spam.

So the question I ask: why are members not rewarded with post counts for simply being social? What kind of forum would uphold such a rule? If it is the name of the sub-forum alone which is the problem here, then I repeat my suggestion that spam and general are merged, and that they keep the name of the general forum. Not only does this solve the problem of the spam section being a paradoxical "important place deemed as unimportant", this unification may result in an end-product which is even more active than anything we have had before.

As it is, we have two similar forums with different names. One is active, the other, not so much. Unless you want to divide the community into some kind of false intellectual apartheid, I would think it wise to consider either find a distinct role for the general forum (and uphold the rules), or simply allow the community to bring itself together by splicing its social parts to create a new, rewarding area of the site.

Nodochi
01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
God this so much.

Its always been mega hypocritcal to have the spam forum designed the way it is, on other sites its just called General Discussion.

Ben
01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Spam should technically be a subforum of General Discussion imo. Otherwise they should merge and just be a 'Lounge' and also have no post increments.

Inq
01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Ben

Spam, in its current incarnation, being just a sub forum of general discussion would not solve any problems. There would still be a dichotomy of discussion, where no dichotomy should exist.

Either we do make that "lounge" (which is quite a nice name, I have to say) a reality, or we somehow shift the focus of everyday discussion back to general discussion, and leave the spam forum as a place for people to bash their keyboards and simply dump posts directly from their subconscious, unfiltered (as true spam forums typically allow for). There are two reasons why I think the former option is the most desirable: firstly, because those of us who are not psychologists or psychiatrists probably do not have any interest in reading up on the metaphorical vomiting of the collective forum's subconscious mind, and secondly, because it is simply much easier to force people into new habits than to gently push them and hope they follow. No offence intended, too, but I do not think that the current roster of staff would even be able to enforce such a pushing: it would require ultra vigilant moderation, and quite a large amount of time and effort from every person involved.

In this case, forcing the issue by combining the sub-forums is not only harmless, but would also be beneficial to the community as a whole. This is what I believe, but if anybody else has something to say, please feel free to make a counter-point: it'd be especially interesting to hear from somebody who solely talks on the general discussion board, and not in spam. If, indeed, such a person even exists.

Ben
01-22-2012, 04:39 PM
@Ben ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Spam, in its current incarnation, being just a sub forum of general discussion would not solve any problems. There would still be a dichotomy of discussion, where no dichotomy should exist.

Either we do make that "lounge" (which is quite a nice name, I have to say) a reality, or we somehow shift the focus of everyday discussion back to general discussion, and leave the spam forum as a place for people to bash their keyboards and simply dump posts directly from their subconscious, unfiltered (as true spam forums typically allow for). There are two reasons why I think the former option is the most desirable: firstly, because those of us who are not psychologists or psychiatrists probably do not have any interest in reading up on the metaphorical vomiting of the collective forum's subconscious mind, and secondly, because it is simply much easier to force people into new habits than to gently push them and hope they follow. No offence intended, too, but I do not think that the current roster of staff would even be able to enforce such a pushing: it would require ultra vigilant moderation, and quite a large amount of time and effort from every person involved.

In this case, forcing the issue by combining the sub-forums is not only harmless, but would also be beneficial to the community as a whole. This is what I believe, but if anybody else has something to say, please feel free to make a counter-point: it'd be especially interesting to hear from somebody who solely talks on the general discussion board, and not in spam. If, indeed, such a person even exists.

You've done it again Inq. You are probably the best suggester/debater around here. Overall, I like both of the options. The lounge would probably be simpler however. Infamous Joe would have to decide the final decision.

j03
01-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Well the intentions of the General Chat is for non-spam and SPAM is for spam... so you might think they are similar to each other but the two are the complete opposite. I'd like to keep all random trash in SPAM. I, myself, post spam topics in there once in a while about what's going on or current updates I would definitely not want in the General Section where, that forum is to be left for discussions on real-life things and anything general really. But no spam in there.

;)

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Spam should technically be a subforum of General Discussion imo. Otherwise they should merge and just be a 'Lounge' and also have no post increments.

There is really no difference if it is a sub-forum of it or not. In theory, it actually IS a sub-forum of the general chat. :P

Inq
01-22-2012, 04:47 PM
You've done it again Inq. You are probably the best suggester/debater around here. Overall, I like both of the options. The lounge would probably be simpler however. Infamous Joe would have to decide the final decision.

You know, I don't actually believe there is such a thing as a most correct person: there are only people who know how to use their language better than others do. These people have the ability project their own beliefs upon others, and it just happens that those others are more likely to stand up and agree with them. I believe that is the key to being able to debate: to master language to such a degree where you are able to persuade people that their very valid beliefs are actually invalid. Truth is subjective: language is subversive.

That's a discussion for another sub-forum, though! And, to stay on-topic, I don't think that sub-forum would be either spam or general.

Well the intentions of the General Chat is for non-spam and SPAM is for spam... so you might think they are similar to each other but the two are the complete opposite.

I know, positively that those were the intentions you had mind at the genesis of this forum. Unfortunately, although some minimal groundwork was put in place to tempt people to follow these intentions, there simply has never been enough moderation to keep them upheld. Right now, as it stands, the two forums are definitely not complete opposites of each other: they are so similar, that I can't actually think of a single thing which keeps them apart.

This is the issue, but the solution is obviously up to you.

Purple
01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
tbh, like joe said
spam is for spam, the random shit

and GC is for the general oh yeah hi, blahblahblah

all sites have spam n shiz

j03
01-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Exactly ^

If you think there is spam happening in General Section then just report it to a mod/super mod and they will move the topic/warn the spammers ruining people's topics.

Inq
01-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Well, I hope you enjoy totalitarian regimes then, because that sub-forum is going to look like something out of Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Except, not quite as popular.

Sari
01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Ok so I've mentioned this before, but I don't really like posting in the General Section. I don't want to post something that's considered spam. So I stick to the spam section most of the time just so I can make sure that I'm not posting spam somewhere it shouldn't get posted.

Inq
01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Here's a little game that might help prove my point. Guess what sub-forum the following threads were posted in:

1.) Post your Desktop Background!
2.) Almost died on my way home....
3. ) New fourm and all, who got some cool names before they're taken?
4.) What's Your Horoscope Sign?
5.) Anyone up for a Pokemon Challenge?

Answers?

1.) General
2.) Spam
3.) General
4.) Spam
5.) General

A few more that I find particularly amusing:

6.) Coca-Cola v.s Pepsi
7.) Coke or Pepsi?

6.) Spam
7.) General

Interesting, no? Sorry for anybody who I've called out here: I don't blame you for being confused about where to post.

Ben
01-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Interesting points...I've moved some of those threads that you mentioned...let me know if you find more.

Inq
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Ben

Sure, here's another example (although the first is both old and inactive, so I would hardly bother locking it):

1.) You're favourite music genre(s)?

2.) What's your favorite type of music?

I wasn't really suggesting that you go around locking all of these (because I've got a feeling that there have been others, and I am certain that there will be again), more than that policies could be put in place to prevent the ambiguity of the sub-forums.

Inq
01-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Bump: this remains largely unresolved.