PDA

View Full Version : How to Unthethered Jailbreak your iPhone 4S/iPad 2 when running 5.0.1

Ryan~
01-20-2012, 03:38 PM
How to Untether Jailbreak your iPhone 4S/iPad 2 using Absinthe

This guide is for the purpose of freeing your Apple Device. This process is entirely legal. The act of piracy, however, is not. Please be wise in your decision, as this guide will only be going over how to JAILBREAK your device, not about how to get "free apps". I am also not responsible for any damage, etc. done to your device!

DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE IF YOU RELY ON A SIM UNLOCK.

THIS IS ONLY FOR IPHONE 4S and IPAD 2, FOR OTHER IOS DEVICES SEE MY GUIDE POSTED HERE ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

Note: For this guide, I will be using OSX, but the process is still the same on Windows.

Welcome to the guide, first off! I figured I would write this to help those of you who have an iDevice and would like to "free" it, or "jailbreak" it.

First off:

1) What is jailbreaking?

Wikipedia ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) describes jailbreaking as:

iOS jailbreaking, or simply jailbreaking, is the process of removing the limitations ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) imposed by Apple ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) on devices running the iOS ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) operating system ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) through use of custom kernels ([Only registered and activated users can see links](computing)). Such devices include the iPhone ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), iPod touch ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), iPad ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), and 2nd Gen Apple TV ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). Jailbreaking allows users to gain root access ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) to the operating system, allowing iOS users to download additional applications, extensions, and themes that are unavailable through the official Apple App Store ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). A jailbroken iPhone ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), iPod touch ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), or iPad ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) running iOS ([Only registered and activated users can see links](Apple)) can still use the App Store, iTunes ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), and other normal functions, such as making telephone calls. Jailbreaking is a form of privilege escalation ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), and the term has been applied to privilege escalation on other computer systems as well.

2) Is this safe for my device?

Yes, it is completely safe. The developers have tested all possibly outcomes and ensure a safe jailbreaking experience. However if something does go wrong, you can always just restore your iDevice! So make sure you backup first!
Also, following the instructions WORD FOR WORD is IMPERATIVE. You don't want to not read something and mess up your device.

3) Alright, how do I begin?

Hold your horses! We are getting there. First we need to go over how to backup your device using iTunes!

Backing up your iDevice to prepare it for jailbreaking

First make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. You can check this by updating your iTunes (which you should know how to do).
Okay, once you have the latest version of iTunes, plug in your iDevice. Once it is recognized, right click on it in the sidebar like I have done in the picture below.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Click on "Back up".
This will begin the process of backing up the iDevice.
The "Now Playing" box (where the song name, artist, etc. are normally shown) will tell you it is backing up and show you the progress.
Once it is done, the "Now Playing" box will go back to normal.
Great! you have backed up your iDevice!
Let's move on.

Updating your iDevice to iOS 5.0.1
Now that you have backed up your iDevice, we need to make sure it is on the right firmware to be jailbroken.
To do so, we can just update it in iTunes by clicking on the button in the following picture.

Then, press "Update" on the following popup.

Then Press "Next".
The update will begin to download. Then, it will verify, install, etc. And It will finally say it is done.
At this point, if your device is now running iOS 5.0.1 you may now move on with the rest of the guide.

The Jailbreaking Tools

For the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 an entirely new tool had to be developed for jailbreaking. That tool is called Absinthe.

You may download it below:

Windows: HERE ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
OS X: HERE ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Download it, and open the program.
Plug your phone in and it will look like this:

Press "Jailbreak" and you will see this:

Note that it says "may take a while" (it does).

During this process "Restore In Progress" will come up on your phone. Do not touch it until the process is done.
Be sure to read the text as it updates on Absinthe, as it tells you what is happening at each step!

If you appreciate these tools, donate to the developers at:

If you have any problems, questions, comments, let me know. I'll try to help!
This is MY guide. Please do not use without my permission. Thank you.

gorthalon
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
YES!!!!!!! A-5 devices jailbroken right before I get one! Great guide btw.

Ryan~
01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Make sure you get one that is on 5.0.1! 5.0.2/5.1 is speculated to come out soon!

And thank you :)

j03
01-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Can't do on windows OS yet.............

Ryan~
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Yup, the tool is not released yet. I'll update this when it is released :)

Efron
01-20-2012, 11:09 PM
VPN toggle fixed it, now I have Cydia. gonna download all my repos :D woo! was waiting for this for so long

Kristin
01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm sooooo tempted to jailbreak my iPad. =/

Ryan~
01-22-2012, 03:21 PM
If its your personal iPad and you want to, you should! Worst that could happen is you'd have to restore. But if you've backed it up you restore from backup and it's just like it was before (: chances of failure are slim if you follow the directions!

Kristin
01-22-2012, 03:46 PM
If its your personal iPad and you want to, you should! Worst that could happen is you'd have to restore. But if you've backed it up you restore from backup and it's just like it was before (: chances of failure are slim if you follow the directions!

Yeah, it's mine. I watched a YouTube video of a jailbroken iPad and it was super cool.
I just have this weird thing where I like things kept in their original condition...I dunno, it's weird. I'm especially particular about my apple products.

Ryan~
01-22-2012, 04:24 PM
You can always just restore it to factory settings with a click of a button. Lol it's simple to do(:

Kristin
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
You can always just restore it to factory settings with a click of a button. Lol it's simple to do(:

Ok so I have a question...if I jailbreak my iPad, can I still use apps that I've purchased?

Efron
01-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok so I have a question...if I jailbreak my iPad, can I still use apps that I've purchased?

you can do everything you normally do...Jailbreaking just adds extra capabilities

Kristin
01-22-2012, 04:44 PM
you can do everything you normally do...Jailbreaking just adds extra capabilities

Ah good, thank you.
I may try jail breaking tonight then. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Ryan~
01-22-2012, 04:48 PM
If you need any help, shoot me a PM. I have these guides, also! And I can get you started on the way to some school jailbreak apps and you'll probably want free apps, also. Lol

Ryan~
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Updated with Windows version of the jailbreak!

Joelalala
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
If something should happen to our Apple Product , then can we still repair it at the iPhone retailer shops ? Cause i'm afraid if they'll know that the device is ' Jailbroken ' .

Ryan~
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, you would just go into iTunes and press "Backup" then "restore" restore returns in to non-jail broken 5.0.1(until they release 5.0.2) and then you'd "restore from backup". This would put you at stock 5.0.1 with all your data still in tact.
If you do jailbreak, avoid updating to 5.0.2/5.2

Joelalala
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Oh . OK , thanks ! At least now i feel more reassured :D