PDA

View Full Version : Getting Real

wrath
07-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Alright. Putting aside my personal pride here to seek advice from you skinny fucks. Went to the doctor again today. Been having long-term GERD/Reflux issues. I have an ulcer in my stomach. My stomach is apparently useless so they recommended a Gastroparesis diet. For those of you that don't know what that means, it basically means your stomach is retarded and you eat and it just sits there like derrrrpp.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Anyway, the main point of view from my GI doc is lose weight fatty. (He didn't really say this, I'm just pessemistic and blunt.)

I'm willing to try. Haven't really been willing, but the daily pain has gotten to the point where I can't function properly between being backed up in shit, and the pain from heartburn and my ulcer. I can't take fiber supplements or anything like that. Fiber is actually bad for the Gastroparesis part. So it's a catch 22. Anyways, enough bitching.

Anyway, I need some ideas for some BASIC workout shits. I checked in at 376 lbs. today, the most I've ever weighed and approaching my dad's weight of 415 lbs which makes me want to become bulemic ASAP. The thought sickens and disgusts me. You'll need to understand I'm someone who literally lays in bed most of the day when I'm not working, and really lacks the energy or physical motivation to get off my ass and do anything. Quite frankly, the only reason I'm interested in doing anything about this is the pain that the doctors don't really think is necessary to worry about because I'm more or less a beached whale. :D

Just trying to think if there's anything else to say... I have weak ankles. Not horrible, but when I was doing a job that required me to be on my feet all day, I would wear an ankle brace otherwise my right one would tend to lock in place and I couldn't bend it at the end of the day without extreme pain.

Alright! Go!

-----

Tl;dr I'm fat, halp me lose weight.

tchaikovsky
07-03-2013, 11:09 AM
90% of weight loss is done in the kitchen. Here's a few suggestions:

-Look up your daily calorie intake (web calculators)
-From now on, you drink only water
-Eat only three times a day, nothing in between

If you want to be progressive about losing weight, the good thing is that the fatter you are, the easier it is. You'll find the pounds slipping off easily if you maintain a healthy diet.

Toasted
07-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I've been doing a daily intense-cardio workout for just 30-45 minutes a day for about a week and a half now, and I've lost 5lbs already.

If you want the link to the video, I can send it :)

wrath
07-03-2013, 11:17 AM
90% of weight loss is done in the kitchen. Here's a few suggestions:

-Look up your daily calorie intake (web calculators)
-From now on, you drink only water
-Eat only three times a day, nothing in between

If you want to be progressive about losing weight, the good thing is that the fatter you are, the easier it is. You'll find the pounds slipping off easily if you maintain a healthy diet.

They told me at the doctor I need to switch to six meals a day, but small meals to keep the metabolism going. Is this not a good idea? Tbh, I skip meals now. I don't eat much, and I think they were annoyed with that. When I eat, it's generally something like a ham sandwhich, some potato chips (not a ridiculous amount) and a few of those duplex cookies (around six). I don't like to eat because it makes me feel awful (stomach issues). If anything my calorie intake is mid-low for how much I would think it would be to maintain this gorgeous weight.

Though I do drink diet coke/pepsi a lot. I'll try and switch to just water, but it's gonna take some time. My pop and my cigarettes are like most people's alcohol and drugs. v_v

I've been doing a daily intense-cardio workout for just 30-45 minutes a day for about a week and a half now, and I've lost 5lbs already.

If you want the link to the video, I can send it :)

Aside from Sweatin' to the oldies, I've never seen a video that I can keep up with. This is the problem. Weight loss videos tend to be made for skinny idiots that want to work out like a jack rabbit. I don't think people comprehend what it takes to lift this much weight from the ground after a push-up. :P But sure, I'll look at it and probably modify it to fit my needs.

tchaikovsky
07-03-2013, 11:22 AM
They told me at the doctor I need to switch to six meals a day, but small meals to keep the metabolism going. Is this not a good idea? Tbh, I skip meals now. I don't eat much, and I think they were annoyed with that. When I eat, it's generally something like a ham sandwhich, some potato chips (not a ridiculous amount) and a few of those duplex cookies (around six). I don't like to eat because it makes me feel awful (stomach issues). If anything my calorie intake is mid-low for how much I would think it would be to maintain this gorgeous weight.

Though I do drink diet coke/pepsi a lot. I'll try and switch to just water, but it's gonna take some time. My pop and my cigarettes are like most people's alcohol and drugs. v_v

Yes, the 6 a day is a good idea. Only issue that comes of that is the inability to correctly portion out servings, which defaults the meals to worsening the problem. If you'd like to really turn your diet up side down, start eating nothing with wheat in it. And no, the "gluten-free" stuff isn't "not wheat." A good amount of unhealthy things in peoples' diet is from the wheat; bread, pastries, pastas, sauces, etc. and getting rid of it forces you to either eat meat or greens.

wrath
07-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Yes, the 6 a day is a good idea. Only issue that comes of that is the inability to correctly portion out servings, which defaults the meals to worsening the problem. If you'd like to really turn your diet up side down, start eating nothing with wheat in it. And no, the "gluten-free" stuff isn't "not wheat." A good amount of unhealthy things in peoples' diet is from the wheat; bread, pastries, pastas, sauces, etc. and getting rid of it forces you to either eat meat or greens.

It's just weird because growing up they always told you WHEAT IS BETTER THAN WHITE, and I've ignored anything to do with health/fitness for years and now I come back and it's like NO BREAD DIPSHIT x_x

So yeah, but that's what the handout they gave me about the paresis said too. They suggested rice as my primary source of grains. It's going to be an adjustment, but I don't mind really. I shouldn't have a problem with portions as long as I can take the time to plan out these mini-meals on Sunday night for the entire week.

j03
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Run.

Don't just look at the word and think to yourself you will do it someday soon and never do it. Get up now and run.

It will help you very much and I have my own belief that running is the key to losing weight. There is a chance running will help kick-start whatever it is that is stopping your stomach from working normally, too. :O

But yeah, you will obviously not be able to run a mile your first time. It's all about repetition and working hard, taking steps to your goal.

wrath
07-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Run.

Don't just look at the word and think to yourself you will do it someday soon and never do it. Get up now and run.

It will help you very much and I have my own belief that running is the key to losing weight. There is a chance running will help kick-start whatever it is that is stopping your stomach from working normally, too. :O

But yeah, you will obviously not be able to run a mile your first time. It's all about repetition and working hard, taking steps to your goal.

Yeah they told me to not do that. At all. Because I'm too fat. x_x They say it will put too much stress on the bones. I don't know how much of this shit to believe from them, but seriously, they were like oh you shouldn't really even walk very far to start out with, it'll be too much on your feet/ankles. You should just do like water aerobics...

IDFK WTH TO BELIEVE D:

IndigoSunset
07-03-2013, 11:36 AM
What about swimming? It's low impact on your joints but a great workout for all your body. Also good from a body image point of view which is always a plus.

j03
07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
OK at least start swimming then.

Try jogging though. If you can jog and not feel pain then fucking do it.

wrath
07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
What about swimming? It's low impact on your joints but a great workout for all your body. Also good from a body image point of view which is always a plus.

This is what they advised after all. The gym I have a fucking membership with of course doesn't have a pool. I really can't afford to go fucking around with more money expenditures, but I'm going to have to look into it. I loved swimming as a kid. We had our own pool back in the day before we moved. I miss it.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

OK at least start swimming then.

Try jogging though. If you can jog and not feel pain then fucking do it.

I'll give it a shot. I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance anyway. I just don't want to pull something. I literally cannot deal with anymore long-term every day pain than the dull ache shit I have now from my stomach/intestines.

munsterpoo
07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
You might have an intolerance to certain things, I would definitely try going gluten free for a few days and see how you feel. I've known numerous people that have went gluten free and started feeling better. Research clean eating too - there are some undiagnosed conditions that the body is intolerant to certain preservatives found in almost all food. It's difficult and kinda expensive, but gluten free/clean eating can make a huge difference in how you feel. Maybe even take an allergy/intollerance test to see what food items your body doesn't react well to.

From there, make sure you drink lots of water and try to get active - try walking for extended amounts of time every day, find a good podcast or music to listen to. From there you can move up to trying to run some.

wrath
07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
You might have an intolerance to certain things, I would definitely try going gluten free for a few days and see how you feel. I've known numerous people that have went gluten free and started feeling better. Research clean eating too - there are some undiagnosed conditions that the body is intolerant to certain preservatives found in almost all food. It's difficult and kinda expensive, but gluten free/clean eating can make a huge difference in how you feel. Maybe even take an allergy/intollerance test to see what food items your body doesn't react well to.

From there, make sure you drink lots of water and try to get active - try walking for extended amounts of time every day, find a good podcast or music to listen to. From there you can move up to trying to run some.

Everything healthy is so expensive. I went to the store after my doctor's appointment and before work just because I had some free time to kill and the grocery store is across the street from work just to get an idea because the stuff on this diet list is not the normal shit I buy. I'm seriously trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to afford these things. Even just fruit is way more than what I would like to be spending on food. Idk, maybe it'll come out of my cigarette money, or maybe I'll just get a second job. I'm willing to do just about anything to make this happen at this point. I live by myself and I don't make that much money, pretty much every dollar is spent on my bills right now. But we'll see!

munsterpoo
07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I say just plan to go gluten free/clean for 2-3 days and go from there. It wouldn't be that expensive to plan a couple of meals. Do some research on it, I've heard from several people that this solved all of their health issues, but in your case physical activity would probably help kickstart things as well.

|2eap
07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
6'2" and 180 lbs here.
honestly i just got a high metabolism but if i didnt work out i'd be like 140 lbs.
What I think you should do is try a carb diet as well as walking every other day. start off with like a half a mile and work your way up. if you just jump on it you wont see the results your looking for and will strain your body. once you've shed some off and would like to start toning up i'd hit the gym brotha.
Best of luck

monzter
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Subscribe to a diet plan and stick with it.
Remember; any diet that's too fast isn't good. It should be gradual.

Id recommend starting with baby steps.
Like cutting out sodas/ chips/ fast food in place of healthier, whole grained alternatives.

You should also start getting to know the calories within foods. With time, you'll get the hang of it.
Start paying close attention to nutrient labels etc.

Contrary to what many think, it isn't necessarily the fats in food that causes weight gain. Over-ingestion of sugars is the number one killer in most cases.
Dont get me wrong though. Im not in any way saying over consuming fats is good for you either. Everything in moderation :)

You might also want to start reading up a little on 'macro' and 'micro' nutrients.
Hopefully, once you start shedding the pounds, you'd be more mobile than you presently are. You can then start gradually increasing your activity level slowly :)

Take it from me.
The beginning is always the toughest part.
After a few months, though, you get used to it.

Eating healthily is a lifestyle.
The key here is consistency and determination.

Hit me up if you need any more tips/ advice. By the way, i'd suggest doing your own research too. What's posted above is a list of things i've taken note of; that's born me fantastic results!

Changes don't happen in a fortnight :)

Owl
07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I lost over 40lbs (which compared to larger amounts isn't a lot- but it was a hard struggle for me) and I did it by
- regulating my calorie intake
- eating stuff only if I could directly tell what the label said it was
- eating when I was hungry/not eating when I wasn't
- drinking water constantly
- and most importantly, moving my ass.

Everyone has different issues, however, and if you have medical reasons, you need to take your doctors advice. See if he/she can hook you up with a good -helpful- nutritionist. Start moving, even if it's only a little but a day. Walk a bit around your house. Park farther back in Parking lots. Find excuses to get up and get going. Most importantly, know that losing weight is going to fucking suck sometimes. It's going to be hard, you'll be irritable, hungry, tired, but eventually you'll start feeling better.
Being that you have other issues, Your doctor will probably be the most help though

|2eap
07-03-2013, 12:23 PM
i mean you'll be surprised as to how much you will lose.
heavier set people lose more weight then skinnier people doing the same routines and such.

I'm serious about the carb diet, theres all sorts of replacement to take place of pasta and bread.
my dad did this when he weighted 280, now hes right at 200 and runs in 5k's
he replaced bread with egg. just whatever you were gonna eat over or in the bread just put on top of egg. same filling difference
and pasta he had some kind of vegitable that he baked and shredded and is actually really good, same texture as pasta just a little different taste

noreti
07-03-2013, 07:16 PM
A really great way to get your stamina up is by doing wallsits or by squatting. You don't need to move up and down at first, just squat when you're waiting for things, squat in front of the TV, etc. Don't let yourself take breaks, you can stop when you're dead. Keep going, don't slow down, and remember that this is not about vanity, it's about your life.

Owl
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Oh, and, to keep the cost of veggies/fruits down go to a flea market or local farmer. If at all possible.

piscinefish
07-03-2013, 09:11 PM
First off, I think it's great that you're willing to really take a pro-active approach to your health and wellness. It's a huge first step that many people never take.

I'm a physical therapist and I'd be happy to help and put together some workout things for you, including quality exercises that can be done in bed. Just let me know and we can go from there!

-Fishy

Allegra
07-03-2013, 10:06 PM
You need to calculate your BMR and daily calorie expenditure; This is the first step in finding out how much you should be eating and where your body sits at the moment. You can easily google a calculator for this.
Honestly, considering how very little activity you say you get, I would start out with long walks, five times a week. a brisk pace, to build your fitness up. Swimming has already been suggested and I agree is also a great way to get cardio in through low impact.
I also agree with eating more than 3 times a day. Make sure your breakfast is your biggest meal to get your metabolism going. Have regular healthy snacks, so you don't get hungry and reduce the chance of binging. If you really want to get complicated, you can always work out your daily macro's (macronutrients) you need a day and stick with those but I think that may be more beneficial after you've lost some initial weight.

Daenery
07-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Regarding earlier comments - I wouldn't say cutting out carbs is the best idea considering the health consequences involved in the long run. Your body still needs carbs to function and might actually start burning lean muscle tissue without them, so definitely stick to eating rice (especially brown rice) in place of pasta/bread instead. The best way to keep weight off and stay fit is to exercise while eating a balanced diet, not a diet that lacks in certain nutrients. Make sure you eat lots of lean protein as well.

If you don't move very much outside of work it's likely your muscles have atrophied to a certain degree, so start off slow. If running is tough, brisk walks will do. Squats and lunges are alright but you'll have to be careful to do them correctly or you can hurt your knees. Swimming is awesome, too, though I personally don't do it often anymore. My skin just can't tolerate the chlorine in pool water. xD;

As an aside you should also never sit for more than two hours continuously in front of the computer. It's really bad for your heart :( So make sure you get up and walk around once or twice every hour.

watersniper
07-03-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm not sure what being 180kg is like, but personally I lost 15kg from 58kg in 6 months just by cutting out salt. I hate exercise.

Good luck and all the best!

Leah
07-04-2013, 02:38 AM
A good way to lose weight and to ease yourself into eating healthy is the HCG diet. HCG is the hormone detected in pregnant women that helps feed the baby the nutrients and calories it needs, without severely depleting the woman's calories or making the woman eat twice her usual daily calories. It basically takes the calories out of the fat stores you already have.

I know it sounds suspicious, but I know a handful of people who have done it, and it's incredible. A friend of mine went from 220 to 180 within a month. The point of the diet is to eat a VLCD (very low calorie diet) while you're taking the HCG, in droplet form. Basically, you put one or two drops under your tongue about half an hour before you eat, and that's it. No working out until you're finished. The recommended time to do it for is a month, but some people do it for longer.

I'm suggesting it because I'm starting it myself in a few days. :D

monzter
07-04-2013, 02:51 AM
WeepingAngel

I could be wrong but wouldn't that kind of diet jeopardize your health in the long run?
I mean losing 40 pounds in a month is insane :P

Heck i lost 10 pounds in a month a year or so ago and i could feel my body being visibly weaker.

Leah
07-04-2013, 08:04 PM
WeepingAngel

I could be wrong but wouldn't that kind of diet jeopardize your health in the long run?

Heck i lost 10 pounds in a month a year or so ago and i could feel my body being visibly weaker.

I know what you mean, it sounds crazy :P But it's meant to be something that will help introduce you to eating healthy and sticking to a proper diet. They only recommend you do the drops and a low calorie diet for a month, then slowly incorporate certain foods back. (Healthy foods, of course!)

I just got my drops in the mail today (:D!!!) so I will update you on how it goes.

Allegra
07-04-2013, 08:21 PM
WeepingAngel

Yeah I struggle to be on board with a diet like this. Wouldn't it ultimately be unsustainable? You're essentially starving your body and when you start eating normally again, the weight shoots back up.
Not to mention, 40 pounds in a month-how much of that would be fat loss versus water weight?

Leah
07-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Yeah I struggle to be on board with a diet like this. Wouldn't it ultimately be unsustainable? You're essentially starving your body and when you start eating normally again, the weight shoots back up.
Not to mention, 40 pounds in a month-how much of that would be fat loss versus water weight?

It would only be unsustainable if you returned to your previous eating habits. It's help to kickstart you into eating properly, especially if you are severely overweight and need to lose a lot of weight. It is fat loss, because the HCG is taking nutrients out of your body's fat stores.

I can't explain it as well as the website can. :P

But it was featured on Dr. Oz, The Today Show, and a few other reputable sources as being a legitimate diet and not a passing fad.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Also, I could be wrong about 40 pounds in a month - all I know is that she lost that much and she could have been doing it over a two month period, although it's not recommended to do it for longer than forty days.

Allegra
07-04-2013, 09:16 PM
It would only be unsustainable if you returned to your previous eating habits. It's help to kickstart you into eating properly, especially if you are severely overweight and need to lose a lot of weight. It is fat loss, because the HCG is taking nutrients out of your body's fat stores.

But it was featured on Dr. Oz, The Today Show, and a few other reputable sources as being a legitimate diet and not a passing fad.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Also, I could be wrong about 40 pounds in a month - all I know is that she lost that much and she could have been doing it over a two month period, although it's not recommended to do it for longer than forty days.

thanks for the link, was an interesting read.

piscinefish
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM

I had a patient, who was an MD, who went on this to lose weight that she had gained post-car accident that left her wheelchair bound for a few months. It seemed a little debatable to me, but she swore by it and the calories she did eat were fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.

monzter
07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I know what you mean, it sounds crazy But it's meant to be something that will help introduce you to eating healthy and sticking to a proper diet. They only recommend you do the drops and a low calorie diet for a month, then slowly incorporate certain foods back. (Healthy foods, of course!)

I just got my drops in the mail today (!!!) so I will update you on how it goes.

Yeah do keep me updated. Would be interesting to see how effective the diet truly is.
Oh yeah and another thing.
Does your friend ever complain of lose skin?
Cause i had a little bit of lose skin after going through with my diet.
Thankfully, its gone now :P

Anyways best of luck to both of you! :D

Mod
07-05-2013, 01:29 AM
personally I lost 15kg from 58kg in 6 months just by cutting out salt.

(O_O)

Shit bro.

DarkByte
07-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Friend of mine had a gastric bypass and now shes pretty stunning.

Ken
07-05-2013, 05:41 AM
I'm more or less a beached whale. :D
You're one intelligent whale.

Tl;dr I'm fat, halp me lose weight.

Anyway, I need some ideas for some BASIC workout shits.
Cardio, diet and activity modification will never fail you.
Sounds tough, I know I know but this doesn't mean that you need do it abruptly. What you should do is make a goal, and start with small modifications. The hard part is maintaining as this involves self discipline.
I was also really fat before and it was really hard to lose weight. I somehow managed to start losing weight when I imposed "rules" on myself like:
1. Get your arse off the couch.
I know it's hard especially when you're glued to your PC/laptop. Try cutting down your internet time by x mins or hrs every x set of day/s.
eg. Day 1: 4hrs
Day 2: 3hrs 40mins
Day 3: 3hrs 20mins
Day 4: 3hrs
and so on until you reach your desired number of hours of PC usage.
Set a goal that you must decrease your internet or PC or video game usage by 2 to 4 hours and dedicate that time doing activities that require moving and exercising.

2. Get those fucking legs to work.
Cardio is your best friend when you want to shed those extra fats and burn extra calories. Again, baby steps. For example:
Day 1: Do walking for 500 meters or do 500 steps
Day 2: Do walking for 750 meters or do 750 steps
Day 3: Do walking for 1 km or do 1000 steps
Day 4: REST
Day 5: Do alternate walking and running for 500 meters
Day 6: Do alternate walking and running for 750 meters
Day 7: Do alternate walking and running for 1 km
Day 8: REST
Day 9: Do alternate walking and running for 30mins
Day 10: Do alternate walking and running for 45mins
and so on until you reach your desired distance/duration. Remember to take 1-2 days off a week to give your body time to rest and adjust to the new activity level.
Right now I can do alternate walking and running for 3km without stopping and I maintain it at this rate. Sometimes I go 5km but that's just on some days when I feel like working out.

3. DIE or DIEt
This, for me was one of the hardest to start because there are some days that you feel like binge eating. But always remember: set a goal, take small steps, maintain and discipline yourself.
For example:
Day 1-3: Decrease carbo and soda consumption by 10% per regular meal
Day 4-6: by 15% per regular meal
Day 7-8: by 20% per regular meal
Day 9-11: by 30% per regular meal
and so on until you reach your recommended daily allowance then maintain.
I DON'T recommend eating ONLY during regular meals as this will make you eat more. Hence, in between regular meals try eating light (stress on the light) snacks. Since you have GERD, I recommend crackers or oatmeal. Assign a cheat day (DAY, okay not week.) where you can eat foods that you miss, don't overdo it though. If you can, it's best to consult your nutritionist so he/she can give you more tips.

Other tips:
1. Also a trick I do is before I eat on a regular meal I drink 1-2 glasses of water so my stomach feels much more fuller thus you only eat less to reach that bloated feeling.
2. Always remember not to put too much pressure on yourself as this will discourage you to continue the program you built for yourself. Although, don't be too lax as well as it will also lead to the same result. Always maintain a positive attitude toward changing yourself.
3. Assign cheat days! Those days are your opportunity to stay a little longer with the PC and eat the food that you miss. But keep in mind, don't abuse your cheat day.
4. If possible, include your significant others in this process of modification. Just like me, my mom would disconnect our internet if she notices that I don't do my workout and would only turn it on once I get home from running. Sometimes we need a little push.
5. Do this change for yourself. Think about it, if you lose weight you don't just become healthier, you'll also probably get more ladies. Win-win situation.

Follow what the doctor said. Shed off some of those carbs and junk foods. Also taper down your pop consumption, aside from it's carbs, it's also bad for your GERD.
I don't have a problem with cigs. I smoke as well and I read in a study that cigarettes help in decreasing food consumption because nicotine and the hormone that signals your brain that you are already full has the same receptor cells. I'm not sure if it's proven though but what the heck.:P

Sorry I didn't mean to post a lengthy one but I hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I lost 15kg from 58kg in 6 months just by cutting out salt

Are you somehow...a camel? That's a lot of water weight.

watersniper
07-06-2013, 02:10 AM
(O_O)

Shit bro.

No shit. I'm an Asian girl so 58kg was really fat for someone so short.

It's not just water weight... esp since I'm still around 46kg now.
Removing salt from the diet makes food taste like crap. And you cant eat out because food outside is full of salt. Essentially I was fasting from 7am to 4pm during schooltime everyday :)

Mod
07-06-2013, 02:16 AM
No shit. I'm an Asian girl so 58kg was really fat for someone so short.

You could've fooled me.

watersniper
07-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Well then you gotta decide which is true. I stand by that I'm a girl though :O If it even matters.

Allegra
07-06-2013, 03:37 AM
You could've fooled me.

i swear to god, at least every second post of yours cracks me up

Raj
07-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Wrath

how's it been going so far? any improvements?

Raj
09-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Wrath

how's it been going so far? any improvements?

^
6char