PDA

View Full Version : Gay Marriage?

Pages : [1] 2

Kay
06-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Are you for or against Gay Marriage? Why?

IMO, anyone who loves someone enough to spend the rest of their lives with them, should be able to marry. What are your thoughts?

Maditude
06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
I believe from the bottom of my heart that anyone selfish enough to protest gay marriage should be stoned and publicly shamed for their ignorance.

Toasted
06-25-2013, 09:21 AM
I've always said the same thing.

If a guy can marry his refrigerator, then a woman/man can marry another woman/man.

Fucking common sense, one would think. xD

Kay
06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I believe from the bottom of my heart that anyone selfish enough to protest gay marriage should be stoned and publicly shamed for their ignorance.

I think I love you.

Maditude
06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
I think I love you.

I have that effect on the ladies.

Raj
06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't care who marries who, I'm straight but if people wanna marry people of their own gender by all means go ahead.

I don't understand why it is even a topic for debate. (If someone can enlighten me on why it is, please do)

It should be allowed everywhere. Period.

Maditude
06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't care who marries who, I'm straight but if people wanna marry people of their own gender by all means go ahead.

I don't understand why it is even a topic for debate. (If someone can enlighten me on why it is, please do)

I agree with that. I seriously can't even wrap my head around why people care in the first place. Clearly it's religion related. Separation of church and state is such bullshit.

Kay
06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
I have that effect on the ladies.

Well if the person in your avatar is you, I have no reason to doubt it, you're beautiful (:

Maditude
06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Well if the person in your avatar is you, I have no reason to doubt it, you're beautiful (:

Yeah buddy!

<3 thank you.

p.s. wanna get gay married?

Kay
06-25-2013, 09:35 AM
As for the hate being religiously based, it is most definetely, and it's bullshit. The bible is just as against short hair, shellfish, and drinking but that's all good, isn't it?

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Yeah buddy!

<3 thank you.

p.s. wanna get gay married?

Is that even a question? Can I show you off at parties and other social engagements? You're lucky too though I give great massages xD

Maditude
06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
As for the hate being religiously based, it is most definetely, and it's bullshit. The bible is just as against short hair, shellfish, and drinking but that's all good, isn't it?

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Is that even a question? Can I show you off at parties and other social engagements? You're lucky too though I give great massages xD

Every group of people has extremists and it's really unfortunate that they've dedicated their lives to making sure other people can't enjoy theirs.

I don't protest their churches or burn them down. Sort of just common courtesy, clearly they've never heard of live and let live. If there's one thing in this world that gets me fired up it's bible based hatred.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

My life is officially perfect.

Toasted
06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Oh, SNAP.

I'm hearin' dem church bells a-ringin'!

(That's Toast-language for, "Can I be the flower Toast?") :$

Maditude
06-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Oh, SNAP.

I'm hearin' dem church bells a-ringin'!

(That's Toast-language for, "Can I be the flower Toast?") :$

You killed it.

Kay
06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Every group of people has extremists and it's really unfortunate that they've dedicated their lives to making sure other people can't enjoy theirs.

I don't protest their churches or burn them down. Sort of just common courtesy, clearly they've never heard of live and let live. If there's one thing in this world that gets me fired up it's bible based hatred.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

I wouldnt say that yet you don't know what I look like O.o
What if I am a 50 year old woman with pimples and a bunch of cats?

Maditude
06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I wouldnt say that yet you don't know what I look like O.o
What if I am a 50 year old woman with pimples and a bunch of cats?

I'd frien**one you.

Kay
06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
awww that aint even right :(
Im 24 and I don't have pimples or cats
im actually changing my avatar to a picture of myself now.

Hinth
06-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Same, if there's one thing I hate the most it is probably bible-inspired hatred. It just doesn't seem right that you would go to such extents against other human beings because of rules dictated in a book regardless of how 'holy' it is. Mind you, I have nothing against religious people. They can live their life however they want, and I try my utmost not to judge.

wrath
06-25-2013, 10:20 AM
I simply don't give a shit. Let them eat cake.

Raj
06-25-2013, 10:25 AM
I simply don't give a shit. Let them eat cake.

Dont give a shit about the issue in general, or the people's choices?

wrath
06-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Dont give a shit about the issue in general, or the people's choices?

Both probably. I have no sympathetic feelings about it. However I'm not opposed either. Marriage predates Christianity and therefore any argument about the morality or ethics of a man and a man being married based on religious views is immediately discarded in my view. And then there's the concept of marriage itself that to me is little more than paper and a party. What does marriage actually symbolize? Monogamy? Well, if you're not a slut, you could just...you know, be faithful and poof! Same thing.

To me the only reason it matters if one is married in this society is due to legality and financial purposes. At which point, I would tend to favor gay marriage because there are many legal and financial benefits to being married; benefits, taxes, etc. I don't think there should be any specific discrimination based on sexual orientation in view of the government. The government was established on the idea of freedom and equality, and though the US is rather hypocritical of that philosophy on a daily basis, once that's limited and actually fought for to deny two people of any race, gender, etc. to be married, the entire government becomes somewhat laughable and even more pathetic than it already is.

And then there's the personal level that it has no effect on me so why should I care? American values right? All I really care about is being able to do whatever the fuck I want as long as it doesn't affect anyone else that I'm doing so. And in that regard, sure, gay marriage is fine with me, don't rightly give a fuck.

Whispers
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
I think for this to even be such a hot button topic is so ridiculous and makes me lose faith in humanity!

When I was younger I didn't really understand the whole point of getting married. I mean if two people really love each other, why would they need a paper to make it official? I felt that it was just another way for the government to keep track of people and for capitalist to earn more money!
However as I grew older (and got engaged twice, yeah I know, crazy!) I came to understand that there is just something very meaningful in being able to stand in front of all your friends and family and announce, that you love this person and want to be with them for the rest of your life. Of course you could still do that, without necessarily having a paper to prove it, but unfortunately, this little piece paper gives you so many rights, you wouldn't have if you didn't have it. Also I feel that if you want to have it, then you should be able to!

When it comes to gay marriage, I think the only people who would really be against it, would be the religious extremists and I personally don't even get why we are even listening to them. That is not to say that we shouldn't listen to peoples opinions, but when it comes to a law, that has nothing to do with them, (other than them feeling that it is wrong and being offended by it) we shouldn't be listening to them at all!

If we were to base our laws in terms of what would make religious extremists happy, then we would need to go back to the stone age. No sex before marriage. No drinking. No smoking. No drugs. Women shouldn't be at work or school, they should stay at home and take care of their children, husbands and house. We wouldn't be able to wear the clothes we wanted to. Get tattoos. Speak our minds. No abortions. And the last goes on and on.

We have absolutely no right, to say that men and women can't marry the same gender! If you feel that it's bad, wrong or immoral to marry the same gender, then DON'T do it! Just because there would be an option, doesn't mean that, you have to take this option! It wouldn't effect your life in the slightest, however it would VERY MUCH effect their lives, so please don't be a selfish jackass!

I have had this debate so many times, it's not even funny! And I am just so tired of having it, that I've actually stopped trying to better my arguments, because I just feel that it's stupid to continue this debate! Doesn't your religion teach you to be respectful of others and not judge? Well then shut the f*** up! Seriously it's not because I have anything against religious people, but just as we have NO right at all to tell you what you should believe in, you DON'T have any right to tell us, what we should believe in! Stop trying to force your belief onto others!

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Yay I just ranked up :D

Raj
06-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Both probably. I have no sympathetic feelings about it. However I'm not opposed either. Marriage predates Christianity and therefore any argument about the morality or ethics of a man and a man being married based on religious views is immediately discarded in my view. And then there's the concept of marriage itself that to me is little more than paper and a party. What does marriage actually symbolize? Monogamy? Well, if you're not a slut, you could just...you know, be faithful and poof! Same thing.

To me the only reason it matters if one is married in this society is due to legality and financial purposes. At which point, I would tend to favor gay marriage because there are many legal and financial benefits to being married; benefits, taxes, etc. I don't think there should be any specific discrimination based on sexual orientation in view of the government. The government was established on the idea of freedom and equality, and though the US is rather hypocritical of that philosophy on a daily basis, once that's limited and actually fought for to deny two people of any race, gender, etc. to be married, the entire government becomes somewhat laughable and even more pathetic than it already is.

And then there's the personal level that it has no effect on me so why should I care? American values right? All I really care about is being able to do whatever the fuck I want as long as it doesn't affect anyone else that I'm doing so. And in that regard, sure, gay marriage is fine with me, don't rightly give a fuck.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree with most of this, as I don't understand the whole religion argument (never read the Bible anyway) but it sure as hell (see what I did there) should not factor into this decision for anyone. But I believe marriage is mainly symbolism which shows two people are legally bonded. But beyond that is the proclamation of love between two people; that is all that matters. The legal bond that is made is for just that - legal purposes. That is all that is symbolized and it seems idiotic on the surface, mainly because it is. Marriage is just a bond and that is it. As for your last point, I agree completely. As long as it doesn't fuck with me, I don't care. Also thanks for clarifying your opinion, once again.

Daenery
06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
I agree with that. I seriously can't even wrap my head around why people care in the first place. Clearly it's religion related. Separation of church and state is such bullshit.

I agree. I'm all for people believing what they want to believe, but when that belief begins to infringe on others' rights to the same happiness, it becomes bullying. I can't condone that.

Three of my best friends since childhood came out as gay/lesbian, and they were among the kindest and most selfless people I've ever known. To think of them not being allowed to marry the people they love makes my blood boil.

Maki
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Dont get me wrong, I support it, but there are bigger issues for the government to take care of than Gay Marriage, IMO.

Thunder
06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
To be honest, whenever I see 'debates' like these involving gay marriage, it's always one sided (at least on these types of forums). It SHOULD be one sided, but in that case, it really isn't a debate, is it? It's a circlejerk at this point, but whatever.

Gay marriage is legal in Canada already so clearly we're better than America :D

Daenery
06-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Dont get me wrong, I support it, but there are bigger issues for the government to take care of than Gay Marriage, IMO.

I think the point is that it should be a non-issue but it clearly isn't. Like Fed said, this country was established based on the right to freedom and equality. Trivializing gay peoples' rights to the same benefits as straight couples because it doesn't affect you isn't right.
The people who are making it an issue are the ones opposing it due to their own ill-founded beliefs. If we'd just allow gay marriage based on the fact that they should have the same rights as everybody else, we'd of course be able to focus more of our energy on other forms of progress.

Maki
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I think the point is that it should be a non-issue but it clearly isn't. Like Fed said, this country was established based on the right to freedom and equality. Trivializing gay peoples' rights to the same benefits as straight couples because it doesn't affect you isn't right.
The people who are making it an issue are the ones opposing it due to their own ill-founded beliefs. If we'd just allow gay marriage based on the fact that they should have the same rights as everybody else, we'd of course be able to focus more of our energy on other forms of progress.

If I was good with words that'd basically be my post :rolleyes:

Jolz
06-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Please read all of this before thinking I'm homophobic

Gays being married in a church I'm not for. Being married in a church is Christian/Catholic event and those religions are against homosexuality and they are not going to change their views on it because 1 verse in 1 chapter from a book was written 400 years AFTER the person apparently said it.

As someone who is not religious like myself, I actually don't want to be married in a church, I'm not part of that religion, so why marry into it? I am 100% for gay rights and I don't deem it as gay marriage... it's just marriage, don't matter who it's between.

I believe in evolution, big bang and not religion so I am not welcome in their church and neither is homosexuality. We shouldn't try and force our way in like they shouldn't force their views on us.

I plan on being married at a registry office like my sister was. People are put off by the idea of a registry office wedding but (i don't know what its like in USA) they really do make the place look amazing. I will post a couple for pictures form my sisters wedding so you can see. Their not as grand as a church but everyone was there and isn't that more important then a church?

[Only registered and activated users can see links]
Andy decided he wanted a better view of the floor.

Mod
06-25-2013, 04:00 PM
I agree with your perspective on not submitting yourself to another's religion simply because it is mainstream and expected.
All dependent on the dominant religion, dominant culture, based on your location. And in the Western world, it's the Church.

You always astound me with such intellectual thoughts and a strong voice in spite of others' opinions, and your appearance, Thor.
(Then again, you are the Thundergod, amirite?)

Andy
A boss, like his father in his age; white tux.
But with sneaks for 2013.

Arabella
06-25-2013, 04:10 PM
As someone who is not religious like myself, I actually don't want to be married in a church, I'm not part of that religion, so why marry into it? I am 100% for gay rights and I don't deem it as gay marriage... it's just marriage, don't matter who it's between.

That's actually a really good point that I never thought of. o.O I've always assumed I would get married in a church (if I get married), but I'm not religious at all. I just never questioned it. Interesting.

And I kinda of agree with Thunder (not sure about the Canada thing but I'll let it go :P), when I saw this thread I thought that is probably wouldn't be much of an actual debate. The generation most of us are from are much more understanding than our parents'/grandparents' generation because I think most of us grew up being taught that everyone is different and that is okay.

I don't have a problem with gay marriage at all.

Daenery
06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Jolz I think you're totally right. If I was a lesbian and looking to be married, I certainly would avoid doing so in a church or chapel that was against the union. But I think the issue involving religion is more that most of the opponents of gay marriage in America want to ban all gay people from being able to do it regardless of where they choose to marry. Legislating it so gay people can't get married, period - that is forcing their views on others.

Your sister looks gorgeous, by the way! And Andy is as adorable as ever ♥

Jolz
06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
I agree with your perspective on not submitting yourself to another's religion simply because it is mainstream and expected.
All dependent on the dominant religion, dominant culture, based on your location. And in the Western world, it's the Church.

Sadly, I have not ventured to America or Canada yet..YET! So I can only speak of the experiences and views around me. I know things are different over there... probably more of a stronger religious aspect in America as opposed to Canada (though I could be wrong) but here, in merry ol' England, atheism is growing rapidly each year so the "church vs everyone else war" is not so much of an issue as it would seem to be to my bros across the pond.

You always astound me with such intellectual thoughts and a strong voice in spite of others' opinions, and your appearance, Thor.
(Then again, you are the Thundergod, amirite?)

Like wise bro. The amount of time I have seen a thread be that just a general enquiry or someone asking for real help and you have posted before me, I often think to myself "...damn, that's a blood good answer... well done Loki... well done."

A boss, like his father in his age; white tux.
But with sneaks for 2013.

Bro fist!

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

America want to ban all gay people from being able to do it regardless of where they choose to marry. Legislating it so gay people can't get married, period - that is forcing their views on others.

Ok... that is just fucked up. The union of marriage is a human right and if one chooses to marry in a bloody field, let no man say no. If a woman can marry her own house, then let gay marry.

BTW, that really did happen, look ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

And thank you for the comments about my sister and my kiddo :)

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

That's actually a really good point that I never thought of. o.O I've always assumed I would get married in a church (if I get married), but I'm not religious at all. I just never questioned it. Interesting.

And that is the power of a religious country. You just asume it is what you are suppose to do

Mod
06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
YET! /// probably more of a stronger religious aspect in America as opposed to Canada (though I could be wrong)
I'd have to agree with your perception of US and Canada. Here, we're still big on Christianity & Catholicism (it's the dominant religion), but we're very open and accepting of other cultures; there's a lot less *forcing*, heated debate, and societal issues regarding religion. At least based on the news we get here, both of CDN and US cities (did you know ~half of our TV channels are American? :P ). The US' open gun laws doesn't help the religion conflict.

To add to that, our immigration policies are far more lax, hence the multiculturalism and openness to other culture's ideals. The way I see it, the US focuses a lot on assimilation, "Either you be us, or you won't be American.", whereas Canada's stance is more like, "We'd like you adopt some of our norms, but don't stop doin' yo thang. makes ya special, bro!". The requirements for immigration and citizenship between our countries reflects this.

But coming from me, a Canadian, I know it's going to sound biased.
US readers, don't hate, yo!

And I like the way you wrote out "YET!".

well done Loki... well done."

Bro fist!

Hinth
06-25-2013, 05:33 PM
I'd have to agree with your perception of US and Canada. Here, we're still big on Christianity & Catholicism (it's the dominant religion), but we're very open and accepting of other cultures; there's a lot less *forcing*, heated debate, and societal issues regarding religion. At least based on the news we get here, both of CDN and US cities (did you know ~half of our TV channels are American? :P ). The US' open gun laws doesn't help the religion conflict.

To add to that, our immigration policies are far more lax, hence the multiculturalism and openness to other culture's ideals. The way I see it, the US focuses a lot on assimilation, "Either you be us, or you won't be American.", whereas Canada's stance is more like, "We'd like you adopt some of our norms, but don't stop doin' yo thang. makes ya special, bro!". The requirements for immigration and citizenship between our countries reflects this.

I'd like to say that the U.S. tries it's best to embrace other cultures but it's not that true. Yes, most people here are very accepting albeit being prone to stereotyping. I guess that underlying theme around here is that, "You're an American now so get with the program."

As a U.S. citizen I'm not trying to bash on America but trying to depict our attitude in the most positive light possible. :biggrin:

*Don't get me wrong, but living here is great though! And this comes from someone who has lived in 4 different countries and visited more 8. B)

Jolz
06-25-2013, 05:54 PM

Awesome brother bro fists!

One of the main confusing issues to me about America is they proclaim that every man has the right to have guns because it is in their constitution YET! ignore the part about the separation of church and state

Hinth
06-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Awesome brother bro fists!

One of the main confusing issues to me about America is they proclaim that every man has the right to have guns because it is in their constitution YET! ignore the part about the separation of church and state

It's all about what the "forefathers believed in when they drafted the Constitution." — so our government claims :rolleyes:

Kay
06-26-2013, 08:33 AM
I love all the support this is getting (: makes me feel so much better. Anyone hear about the new act thats being proposed?

Raj
06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
I love all the support this is getting (: makes me feel so much better. Anyone hear about the new act thats being proposed?

Nope, what're they thinking of doing?

DonkeyShlong
06-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Yeah, being English makes this debate a lot easier.

We seem to have this view where if your lifestyle doesn't affect mine, do what you like. Although, we have only just gone about legalising gay marriage. Civil partnerships are legal but it's not called a marriage (despite the fact everything else is the same)

Call it what you like, let two people who love each other get on with their lives.

Kay
06-26-2013, 08:41 AM
ugh never mind I can't find the name now -__- name didn't sound good though

Hinth
06-26-2013, 09:12 AM
ugh never mind I can't find the name now -__- name didn't sound good though

Was it on the news?

Kay
06-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Was it on the news?

Defense of Marriage Act, t was shot down this morning (:

Lilac Tentacles
06-26-2013, 10:30 AM

Wow... Tell us again how open-minded and accepting of other's ways of life you are.

Maditude
06-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow... Tell us again how open-minded and accepting of other's ways of life you are.

I am not tolerant of blatant hate and people who make it a point to ruin the lives of others, you're right. I'm a hypocrite. Sorry for wanting to stone every member of the westboro baptist church to death. People like that make me sick and if I could I would exterminate every last one of them.

Lilac Tentacles
06-26-2013, 10:58 AM
I am not tolerant of blatant hate and people who make it a point to ruin the lives of others, you're right. I'm a hypocrite. Sorry for wanting to stone every member of the westboro baptist church to death. People like that make me sick and if I could I would exterminate every last one of them.

That's called religious persecution. This country was started by people trying to escape that. They wanted a place where they could worship and develop their own laws freely. Guess we'll toss that out with the right to own 30 round magazines because it makes idiots shoot at school children.

Maditude
06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
That's called religious persecution. This country was started by people trying to escape that. They wanted a place where they could worship and develop their own laws freely. Guess we'll toss that out with the right to own 30 round magazines because it makes idiots shoot at school children.

As opposed to "Let's all go protest the funerals OF THE school children shot".

I don't care what this country was founded on, those people are fucking assholes and I DO have a problem with what people believe in IN THE EVENT that it impedes on another's right to a happy and harassment free lifestyle. I should say I care more about their actions rather than beliefs, really.
Hate gay people all you want, call them fags in your kitchen, condemn them to hell whatever but keep that shit off the streets. It's amazing to me that such an outdated and medieval way of thinking still exists.

Jules
06-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't understand why gay marriage is illegal. I can't understand why it bothers people as much as it does, I get it if your really religious so your against it but there's a lot of extremely religious people who don't care if it's legal or not. I think it's pretty unfair that my uncle couldn't marry his boyfriend, who he'd been dating for 15 years, before he died. People are ignorant though and I mean, nobody will ever see eye to eye on anything.

Lilac Tentacles
06-26-2013, 11:57 AM
As opposed to "Let's all go protest the funerals OF THE school children shot".

I don't care what this country was founded on, those people are fucking assholes and I DO have a problem with what people believe in IN THE EVENT that it impedes on another's right to a happy and harassment free lifestyle. I should say I care more about their actions rather than beliefs, really.
Hate gay people all you want, call them fags in your kitchen, condemn them to hell whatever but keep that shit off the streets. It's amazing to me that such an outdated and medieval way of thinking still exists.

Darlin', WBC hates EVERYONE. They don't discriminate.

Gay marriage is legal. The war is won. Now, keep this in mind: A florist and a bakery in separate states are being sued because they run their business by their Christian morals. That's bordering on religious persecution and also gay discrimination. Who's going to win? Not a clue. But just remember how the gay kids felt getting picked on. Going after a mom and pop business because they won't cater to your moral code is just as wrong as telling gay people they can't get married. There are thousands of other places to get flowers and cake. Don't run good, hard-working, tax paying people out of business because of their religious convictions.

I promise that will lead to a war no one is ready to fight. Respect goes both ways.

Also, I've never once wished death on anyone who was gay for being gay. I dont think there is anyone on this forum who feels that strongly. Please keep your religion- hating death threats to a minimum out of respect for people who might not share your personal views.

IndigoSunset
06-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Gay marriage is legal. The war is won. Now, keep this in mind: A florist and a bakery in separate states are being sued because they run their business by their Christian morals. That's bordering on religious persecution and also gay discrimination. Who's going to win? Not a clue. But just remember how the gay kids felt getting picked on. Going after a mom and pop business because they won't cater to your moral code is just as wrong as telling gay people they can't get married. There are thousands of other places to get flowers and cake. Don't run good, hard-working, tax paying people out of business because of their religious convictions.

I promise that will lead to a war no one is ready to fight. Respect goes both ways.

Also, I've never once wished death on anyone who was gay for being gay. I dont think there is anyone on this forum who feels that strongly. Please keep your religion- hating death threats to a minimum out of respect for people who might not share your personal views.

You have an interesting idea of being gay as some sort of moral-based choice as opposed to a natural way of being. If you stand by the principle of being able not to serve somebody because of how they were when they were born then what distinguishes that from apartheid? Not to get too facetious, it's an entirely reasonable analogy. After all, there a thousands of other places to get flowers and cake.

Hinth
06-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Ugh, don't even get me started on Westboro. Honestly, they are exploiting and twisting our laws to support their actions. It's just downright hateful. Ick.

Lilac Tentacles
06-26-2013, 12:41 PM
You have an interesting idea of being gay as some sort of moral-based choice as opposed to a natural way of being. If you stand by the principle of being able not to serve somebody because of how they were when they were born then what distinguishes that from apartheid? Not to get too facetious, it's an entirely reasonable analogy. After all, there a thousands of other places to get flowers and cake.

But marriage is a choice. So choose to bring in willing participants to help celebrate it.
I mean, do you really want to force someone who has moral objections to your decisions baking your food???
I don't walk into Jamba Juice and force them to abolish coconut because I'm allergic. It wast a choice but I don't put people out of their way because "I was born this way" ad everyone should cater to me. That's silly.

Raj
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
But marriage is a choice. So choose to bring in willing participants to help celebrate it.
I mean, do you really want to force someone who has moral objections to your decisions baking your food???
I don't walk into Jamba Juice and force them to abolish coconut because I'm allergic. It wast a choice but I don't put people out of their way because "I was born this way" ad everyone should cater to me. That's silly.

Gays aren't asking for everyone to cater to them, though. They just want to be able to get married legally in these United States. That isn't asking people to become gay or support them. They just want to get married.

Maditude
06-26-2013, 01:11 PM

I'm sorry, I was under the influence that it said "What are your thoughts?" in the first post of this thread. Anyone who comes to a thread on a heated topic like this is already ready for a fight and already ready to heavily disagree and defend their opinions to the teeth.
Considering this is a debate thread that asks for opinions and explanations in the first post, I'm going to decline your request as I was invited to express those views.

Lilac Tentacles
06-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry, I was under the influence that it said "What are your thoughts?" in the first post of this thread. Anyone who comes to a thread on a heated topic like this is already ready for a fight and already ready to heavily disagree and defend their opinions to the teeth.
Considering this is a debate thread that asks for opinions and explanations in the first post, I'm going to decline your request as I was invited to express those views.

You said people who have religious objections should be stoned. That's anger.

Maditude
06-26-2013, 01:23 PM
You said people who have religious objections should be stoned. That's anger.

I said people who protest. As in. Physically. Protest. As in people who go out of their way to fight other people's happiness.
I don't care if you object or not. I might not agree with it but that isn't worthy of a stoning in my opinion.

Daenery
06-26-2013, 02:04 PM
As much as I totally understand people not wanting to cater to causes they don't believe in, I feel that excluding gay couples from services like this based on the way they were born is promoting a form of segregation. Some people are more aggressive than others in putting themselves where they aren't wanted to make a point, I get that - but at the same time, is it right to separate "gay" establishments from "straight" establishments? Is it feasible for a law to be passed banning naturally born gay couples from being able to pay for services in certain places?

Not that this is an issue anymore but I can see a parallel between what's going on here and what went on back then involving racial segregation. If we can agree that, like being a colored person, being gay is a natural state of being and not a choice (and there are plenty of documented incidents of other animals in nature besides just humans being homosexual, and in fact some studies say these are often more successful in terms of offspring survival rates when it comes to male x male couplings), then forcing gay people to look elsewhere for such things is something similar, isn't it?

drd
06-26-2013, 05:10 PM
I hate that it is even a question whether or not they should be able to marry. It's a basic human right, one would think.

Hinth
06-26-2013, 05:30 PM
I hate that it is even a question whether or not they should be able to marry. It's a basic human right, one would think.

Freedom of choice?

drd
06-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Freedom of choice?

It's more than that, though. People don't choose to be gay, it's just how they were born.

Hinth
06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
It's more than that, though. People don't choose to be gay, it's just how they were born.

Hm.. Freedom to be oneself?

katix
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I believe that gay marriage is fine. I myself am straight but honestly they aren't hurt me in anyway and they should be able to marry someone who the love. Marriage comes with quite a bit of benefits and its just part of human culture to marry the person you love. So this right should be everyone's.

simmie
06-27-2013, 05:06 PM
I don't think it should be anybody's business who you marry as long as it's not some 40 year old to like a 15 year old girl, and the two agree. o_o

/simpleminded

Hinth
06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't think it should be anybody's business who you marry as long as it's not some 40 year old to like a 15 year old girl, and the two agree. o_o

/simpleminded

People don't agree with that scenario not only because it feels "wrong," but also because often the 15 year old is most likely being taken advantaged of and/or is being exploited and manipulated to believe the "love" the other person.

simmie
06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
People don't agree with that scenario not only because it feels "wrong," but also because often the 15 year old is most likely being taken advantaged of and/or is being exploited and manipulated to believe the "love" the other person.

That's what I meant. :P
but you get my point yes

noreti
07-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I have a serious issue with anyone who feels the need to protest gay marriage in any way shape or form on any level whatsoever.
End of story, really.

drd
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I have a serious issue with anyone who feels the need to protest gay marriage in any way shape or form on any level whatsoever.
End of story, really.

Right? Since when do Christians and all these other main religions seem to think they own the concept of marriage?

noreti
07-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Right? Since when do Christians and all these other main religions seem to think they own the concept of marriage?

The sad bit is, there's just no good reason against it.
Makes me want to shoot someone.

Cystin
07-04-2013, 04:07 AM
I believe that people can love/like/be attracted to who ever the hell they want.
Honestly, it's ridiculous that it's still an issue. We have come so far & yet we are still discriminating and limiting people's freedom because of who they are.

katix
07-04-2013, 04:28 AM
I think that essentially all humans are bisexual and in the future it will be a norm. Its already seen in many animal species.

Elmo
07-04-2013, 06:26 AM
I think that essentially all humans are bisexual and in the future it will be a norm. Its already seen in many animal species.

I think I kind of agree with this but too many people are afraid to explore. I haven't ever been attracted to another female personally but I think love is love with a person, not a gender.

Allegra
07-04-2013, 07:32 AM
In this day and age, anyone still ignorant enough to dictate whom someone can and cannot love does not deserve an opinion.

Anni
07-04-2013, 09:23 AM

One word: Religion. :rolleyes:

And I'm totally for people being able to marry whoever they want.... like hell, is it going to hurt me? No.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] (my favorite)

If you guys haven't been to this website or seen Matthew comics around you're missing out ;)

drd
07-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Has anyone that's posted here even had an opposing opinion? xD
Not that it's a bad thing :P Pretty sure they'd get torn apart by the rest of us if they did.

I think gays shouldn't be able to marry because the Bible, motherf**ker.

If those people really followed the Bible, they would kill all gays and non-believers... along with women who lost their virginity before marriage... just sayin'
On that note, it sure is a good thing they don't, though, or 90% of clraik would be dead! :P

Kay
07-05-2013, 09:20 AM
You see, I was actually speaking to a friend of mine about this recently. We poked around the bible to see what we could find (admittedly, I do not have a religion, nor do I believe in god.) since I had never read it before. I found a couple references to homosexuality, as well as MANY other things that are to be considered an abomination, such as short hair, eating shellfish(?) sexual activity before marriage.. the point is, people are choosing to reference the bible but that's unfair for these reasons:

1) we do those things every day but no one has issued an ordinance banning short hair or shellfish, homosexuality simply makes people uncomfortable, which is incredibly stupid if you ask me. Why should love make anyone uncomfortable?

2) Not everyone's religion is Christian. I absolutely respect other people's religions, and I expect the same in return. Please respect the fact that I don't have one. While I understand most of our laws are taken from the bible, it still does not mean I have to follow the book at all. I will follow the law, yes, but not something I do not believe in. I think it is unjust.

3) Homosexuality is not a choice. It is something you are born with and has been around since way, way before the bible. It is mentioned several times, and I believe it even happens in the bible.

Shycker
08-06-2013, 03:36 AM
From my point of view, I don't have any problem AT ALL of Gay Marriage and I fully accepted. If people use the argument that you cannot be gay because it is a sin and you must follow the readings of the Bible, an argument to that is in the Bible it also states that premarital sex is a sin. But yet our daughters, sisters, friends, or even we become pregnant before marriage, and teen pregnancy is so common that our society demands reality televisions shows for it. The bible also states that gluttony is sinful, Yet America is the ninth fattest nation on Earth (first among fist world countries), and we indulge ourselves with McDonalds and other fast foods that fulfill our “craving”. Another sinful act that most Americans partake in is getting tattoos. And in the bible it clearly objects to this and people still continue to put bible verses on themselves. Those are all sins we can choose to partake in, but being gay is a “sin” that no one chooses, some people take their own path with their own ways. Did you wake up this morning choosing to be straight? The answer to that is no.

futoss
09-28-2013, 11:47 AM
People who oppose gay marriage are disgusting IMO. Who are they to decide who loves eachother?

Accelerator
09-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Idk.. as long as it's true love it shouldn't matter :s, but that's my point of view...

Blazingchampion
11-05-2013, 01:00 PM
As a gay who lives in a HEAVY catholic community, I've lost many friends because of their religious catholic beliefs.

Its sad that their pope supports gay rights, while their church does not. Apparently you can be "gay" as long as you don't act on it. The reason being is because sex before marriage is a sin. Gays can't marry, so they can never sex. Durp.

Also, if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend (According to my many ex-catholic friends whom are missionaries and priest now), they'll assume you have a lot of sex, so having a bf is looked down on and not acknowledged at all.

Snoop Lion
11-05-2013, 01:13 PM
As a gay who lives in a HEAVY catholic community, I've lost many friends because of their religious catholic beliefs.

Its sad that their pope supports gay rights, while their church does not. Apparently you can be "gay" as long as you don't act on it. The reason being is because sex before marriage is a sin. Gays can't marry, so they can never sex. Durp.

Also, if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend (According to my many ex-catholic friends whom are missionaries and priest now), they'll assume you have a lot of sex, so having a bf is looked down on and not acknowledged at all.

Well that's just stupid in my opinion, how can they say your not allowed to have sex before marriage but not allowed to get married either, it just doesn't make sense to me how some peoples brains work

Rambo
11-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Well Its your life. As for the pope, he is a ... . His book (The bible) Clearly does not support gays. So why should he support it?

I personaly don't support due to me being a christian. As for killing you becuase of it. I wouldnt do that (Unless it was with my daughter)

Snoop Lion
11-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Well Its your life. As for the pope, he is an asshole. His book (The bible) Clearly does not support gays. So why should he support it?

I personaly don't support due to me being a christian. As for killing you becuase of it. I wouldnt do that (Unless it was with my daughter)

I understand that your a christian, i have no problem with what race people are or what religion they believe in, if they want to abide by certain rules due to their faith i 100% respect them for that, my opinion on it all though is just live your life, do what you want (not criminal things ofc) but do what makes happy. I say this because i don't have a religion but i do believe whatever makes you happy you should do it and not care what others think of you for it, its your life.

osiyo
11-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Well Its your life. As for the pope, he is an asshole. His book (The bible) Clearly does not support gays. So why should he support it?

Which part of the bible are you referring to? The book of Leviticus? Cause that book doesn't support a lot of things. As a christian, do you feel the need to not support those things either?

Rambo
11-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I figure catholics believe in the bible, so the pope should to right?

Yes I do.

Demetri
11-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Off topic... I saw this & thought Kay had returned.. What a let down :(

osiyo
11-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I figure catholics believe in the bible, so the pope should to right?

Yes I do.

So you support animal sacrifice, keeping menstruating women in isolation, see male masturbation as a sin, see tattoos and piercings as a sin, see any shaving or trimming of a beard as a sin, and do not wear any fiber blends? All of that is from the book of Leviticus (mostly chapter 19) , plus lots of other things I'm pretty sure you have decided are not part of your religion.

There are many things that appear contradictory in the bible. There are many things which can be taken in different ways. Religion is based on faith and relies upon interpretation of the bible. In Catholocism, the Pope has a lot of input about that interpretation.

Which brings us to an interesting question. Where did your interpretation come from? A minister? A priest? A parent? A coworker? A lover?

From your posts I interpret you as not being catholic, which means your religion probably endorses reading the bible for guidance. Have you ever actually read the bible on your own? Seen what is says and thought about it for yourself?

The passages from the book of Leviticus are from the Old Testament, where God is portrayed rather differently than the New Testament. The stories themselves are also told in a very different manner. It's fascinating to read and try to compare a God who was totally down with killing and destroying civilizations with a God who is about turning the other cheek and never ending love.

Rambo
11-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I agree with you osiyo. I believe in the new testament which changes some of the rules. As for Jacking off that isnt really described in the old testament. Read the story not the verse! Also as for "Uncleaness" Jesus changed that(Hell, he hanged out with prostitutes).

What I meant is I believe in the bible not just the new testament.

osiyo
11-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Rambo , you are describing picking and choosing which parts of the bible have rules which aren't changed. That is the interpretation you are choosing. Out of curiosity, why does that allow some parts of leviticus to be wiped away, but not the others?

Rambo
11-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Il give you an example : Jesus talks about the ten commandmemnts and that you should follow them" Bam they are followed. Jesus hangs out with "Unclean" people. Bam that rule does not apply anymore. It is the same with "samaritans". Basicaly if jesus does something we can do it too.

osiyo
11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Il give you an example : Jesus talks about the ten commandmemnts and that you should follow them" Bam they are followed. Jesus hangs out with "Unclean" people. Bam that rule does not apply anymore. It is the same with "samaritans". Basicaly if jesus does something we can do it too.

You're missing the point where you are still interpreting the bible. Jesus makes no direct mention of homosexuality. Ever. He makes no direction mention about women during menstruation having to keep isolation either. Jesus also kept kosher, celebrated Passover, and had a bar mitzvah. None of that really matters, however since the bible has been translated so many times you have to admit there must be SOME error in the specific words ("Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" comes to mind), and it's quite possible that the particulars have been changed to suit the times as necessary. Which, again, leaves the entire bible up to interpretation and study. However, that doesn't change the overall message - love and faith.

At it's core, Christianity teaches love, acceptance, and salvation through Jesus Christ. To become a Christian you just have to believe in Jesus. The interpretation of everything else varies from person to person, in ways that bring them closer to Jesus.

The bible is crystal clear on very few things, but the overall message of love and faith is always the same. Your interpretation is as viable as anyone else's, including the Pope's. To say the Pope's interpretation makes him "an asshole" is entirely inappropriate.

Rambo
11-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Your missing my point. the pope said he supports it. The bible does not. Think about it: Does jesus support girls being prostitutes? NO WAY! He accepts them all the same though. The bible is telling you stuff for your own protection, theres some reasoning to it.

I believe we should frown upon gays, but accept them like jesus would.

The pope has so many weird traditions based on the bible, so why can't he frown upon things jesus would?

(I do admit I should not use such vulgar language)

futoss
11-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Demetri I thought no one liked her lol why would it be a letdown?

Demetri
11-06-2013, 02:23 PM

Cause it was always hilarious when she posted & people responded :P

Mod
11-06-2013, 02:24 PM

futoss
11-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Mod I cant see your picture D:

Mod
11-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Mod I cant see your picture D:

Did you try refreshing the page?

futoss
11-09-2013, 12:21 PM
yeah :/

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Did you try refreshing the page?
yeah :/

Skarl
11-10-2013, 08:18 AM

I'd vote in favor of a civil union.

Blazingchampion
11-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Gay marriage has two meanings to us gays.

One, we can share our life with our partner.

Two, we want to be accepted and respected. The populations view on legalizing gay marriage is a bit of a meter of how American society as a whole feels towards the gay/bi/trans minority, and a measurement of the nations overall intelligence.

We're not fighting to get everyone to like us, we're trying to show the world that we're no different and we deserve certain rights that have been taken away from us.

Katie
11-29-2013, 09:31 PM
There are so many "Christians" who need to reintroduce themselves to the Bible. Their ignorance of their own religion & religious texts would be laughable if they weren't such a large demographic which is constantly trying to use words written thousands of years ago to constantly deny minority groups their basic human rights. I could go on and on and find far too many Bible verses to show the hypocrisy of picking and choosing or saying that whatever Jesus or the New Testament says somehow negates things like masturbation, stoning non-virgins, or owning slaves (oh wait, Jesus & the New Testament mentioning owning slaves in a favorable light... anyways) but that would require a lot of research on my part and I've just eaten Thanksgiving leftovers, so. No.

But John Shore does an amazing job in his article Taking God at His Word/ ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

But in case you can't be bothered, here's a quick synopsis: The Bible is about love, not judgement.

Luke 6:37
James 4:11-12
John 3:17

My favorite is Matthew 7:1-5.

�Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, �Let me take the speck out of your eye,� when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

As far as the comment about civil unions, the thing to remember is that civil unions are not recognized on a federal level. That's a really big issue. When civil unions aren't recognized on a federal level, that means that same sex couples lose out on the same benefits that heterosexual couples receive, such as Social Security benefits if their spouse passes away, the right to Family or Medical leave if they need to take care of their spouse, the right to share a spouses medical insurance, being exempt from inheritance taxes when their spouse dies, etc, etc.

stacy
12-02-2013, 07:24 AM
I am so happy that I live in the Netherlands, one of the first countries in the whole world that made it legal. Many of my friends are gay or lesbian, so I am happy to live in this open minded country, for me but also for them! I think it should be legal everywhere, because we're all just people and we have to respect each other. They just like the same sex instead of the opposite sex, who cares! I know I don't.

bewbala
12-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Gay marriage will soon be legalized all through out USA, this generation is growing, it doesn't matter who disapproves it because that belief is becoming the minority.

Rambo
12-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Laugh as world falls apart LOL

Fox
12-03-2013, 09:22 AM
As a lesbian who has been with a girl for over 2 and a half years, I'm very supportive of it.

I'm all for convincing people that homosexuals are just normal, everyday people as well, and that's why I find gay pride parades disgusting. People parade their sex slaves down the street in nothing but bondage gear and rainbows, sometimes acting more animalistic than humans, and I sit here and think, "You guys. We're trying to get them to approve of us, and acting like this in public isn't going to get many people on our side."

Blazingchampion
12-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure where a lot of the debauchery stems from, but being outlandish and different is glorified amongst gay men.

And yes, I am embarrassed of the over the top gay parades. Mostly the sexualized stunts that are disrespectful and unbecoming.

Sadly, most gay men that I know lack a moral compass. The amount of self hate that is reflected through the way they treat themselves is sad.

Gays are normal. I'm normal-ish. I want to have a family, have regular friends, travel, ect.

Hopefully the legalization of gay marriage will instill the pursuit of a different life style amongst most gays, something more than night clubs, drinking, drugs, sex, materials and vanity.

Andymac106
12-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Wow this topic though :rolleyes: I'll be outnumbered here too

Gay marriage, I say no to it. Now before I get all the hate for it, I just wanna say the majority of America actually doesn't like it. But all we see is that Gay marriage is okay. The media glamorizes it to make it seem like it's something good when it really isn't. I guess it's just the way I was brought up by what my parents taught me and what it says in the religion I believe in. Now gay people, I have no problem with; it's your decision on how you wanna live your life, and if that choice makes you happy, go for it then. I'd still consider it a sin and a bad thing though. As a straight male, I could never find guys sexually appealing. Of course you can find other guys attractive, but not lust for them. It's just wrong No hate towards any gays/lesbians on this forum, I'm just merely expressing my opinions and you're entitled to yours as well

Also, for all who keep quoting the Bible and saying that it approves of gay marriage or the aspect of gay in general, I'd like to see the bible you're reading. Because what I'm reading says marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6). Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage.

Oh well, my opinion is overruled and looked down upon in modern times.

Edit: I'm not imposing any of my opinions on anyone about this subject, nor will I ever judge you on what you think about this subject. I have my thoughts and ideas about this and it wont be changed. But am I going to treat gays any different? Absolutely not. That would be like treating someone differently for being a different race than you. I'm not an extremist on this subject but more so a person who has their values and morals set and wont be changed.

Broken
12-12-2013, 03:24 AM
I honestly don't see the point in marriage.
People get married for the symbolism of love and spend thousands of dollars in the process. I know countless people
who chase this fantasy of a perfect wedding, get a loan to pay for it, and for what, to be paying for it for years to come?

That being said if two idiots who only get hitched because the women was knocked up can wed, then I don't see why two men can't get married.

Also if we followed the biblical laws, most of us would live in poverty without technology(would be seen as the devils work), women wouldn't be allowed their own opinions, would be constantly raped, sold and used to barter.
The church frowns upon people having large amounts of wealth, yet last i checked the Vatican isn't some shanty town, and didn't they just spend like 35million on a small village?
I really don't see why religion plays so highly in modern society.

livemynightmare
01-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Why should two people of the same sex who don't hold the same lifestyle as two people of opposite sex be allowed to be recognized in marriage to the government. I agree to marriage if they do not get the same tax cuts and benefits as straight marriage. If gay people REALLY were wanting to be married for the pleasure of being considered Husband and Husband or wife and wife for just the simple fact of being so that is fine, but when you ask for tax breaks and for other people to pay for your choices and decisions to be who you feel you want to be then that is in correct. Should I have to pay for a brother and sister who want to get married?

Cheese
01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Why should two people of the same sex who don't hold the same lifestyle as two people of opposite sex be allowed to be recognized in marriage to the government. I agree to marriage if they do not get the same tax cuts and benefits as straight marriage. If gay people REALLY were wanting to be married for the pleasure of being considered Husband and Husband or wife and wife for just the simple fact of being so that is fine, but when you ask for tax breaks and for other people to pay for your choices and decisions to be who you feel you want to be then that is in correct. Should I have to pay for a brother and sister who want to get married?

First off: Two people of the same gender getting married is entirely different than relatives getting married.

Secondly, why shouldn't they get tax cuts? You feel like they should pay for your marriage, but you shouldn't have to pay for theirs? I mean, they pay for your decision to marry the opposite gender. What's the difference? You're not better than them just because you have certain beliefs and morals- they are still humans with rights who deserve the same treatment as everyone else.

Saying they don't deserve something because they think and feel differently is selfish and ignorant. Get over yourself, you don't deserve more than any human on this earth.

livemynightmare
01-08-2014, 08:25 PM
First off: Two people of the same gender getting married is entirely different than relatives getting married.

Secondly, why shouldn't they get tax cuts? You feel like they should pay for your marriage, but you shouldn't have to pay for theirs? I mean, they pay for your decision to marry the opposite gender. What's the difference? You're not better than them just because you have certain beliefs and morals- they are still humans with rights who deserve the same treatment as everyone else.

Saying they don't deserve something because they think and feel differently is selfish and ignorant. Get over yourself, you don't deserve more than any human on this earth.

First Response: What is the next step after making it okay for two of the same sex getting married? Where do you draw the line? If you make two individuals be allowed to be married even if the same sex why is it not okay for siblings or a 12 year old to get married? They can share the same desires as any person. Why make it okay for someone who chooses to be gay?

Second Response: They shouldn't get tax cuts because establishing a family is the full entitlement for these tax cuts and bettering the country. Do you really think cutting the human population reproduction process deserves the same benefits? And it is because of allowing these tax cuts today that people are allowed to ABUSE our system. The line needs to be drawn somewhere and no matter who it is someone will have a problem with it. I am not stating that everyone should give in to natural consensus but that there are too many people who will abuse these benefits. I am not stating I am better than anyone nor beliefs or morals. And they are giving the same treatment. They are told just like everyone else that if you wish for this benefit you must abide by the same standards as every other person. This growing group who have followed these laws for years now have a problem with it and feel the country should mold to their liking. With the decisions you make you receive consequences. For example: Having kids means you will lose more of your free time and will have to change your lifestyle because of this new life your are responsible.

Maths
01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I live in Canada and it's been legal everywhere since 2005.

In Quebec we created the civil union which implies the same duties as marriage and allowed same-sex people to engage to each other. I think part of the United States is very catholic and they're not able to understand that their religion isn't the only one in their country. Many of the other religions have indeed accepted homosexuality. Also it is kinda weird that most catholic reduces their arguments to the definition of marriage and forget to talk about all of those others things the Bible says. Let's hear it.

- A man has an obligation to produce a child with his brother's widow. If he refuses, his sister-in-law is to spit in his face in front of the elders. (DT:25:5-9)
- Gotta be careful not touching your parents :Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB )
- Don't cheat bitches :If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)
- Better be a virgin before u get married :But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB )

Those are the ones I remember the most because let's face it ; the Bible is nothing but a book containing massive murders, bloodbath and population genocides.

acehighx
01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Let people do what they want.

People say Gay marriage is unnatural but when you think about it... Marriage itself is pretty unnatural.

xb1nh0
01-12-2014, 03:26 AM
The love is for all, im favor for the gay marriage

nebulas
02-06-2014, 08:30 PM
gay marriage.. meh. im not gonna get gay married. im gonna get bi married. "marriage equality" is a much better term imo

Misha
02-07-2014, 02:30 PM
i don't see what the issue is. let gay people get married. it won't affect anyone else's life. period.

Deegow
02-12-2014, 05:37 AM
People have the right to do whatever they want, if it doesnt harm anyone.

Shinji
02-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I love when people use the bible as an argument against homosexuality/gay marriage because like let's be real adam had a first wife lillth, and Eve and him weren't even married basically fuck buddies :S ???

Banannie
02-25-2014, 06:30 PM
I believe in and support gay marriage. I have gay friends and they're just normal people who wake up in the morning and live their lives like everyone else. I view them no differently than I do someone of a different skin colour. It's much easier to judge people on how they treat you as an individual, rather than characteristics that one might find different or threatening.

I've never really understood the arguement between two people of the same gender getting married and someone getting hitched to their sister or dog or something. Sometimes people like to throw out really abstract concepts as a way to justify their points... and it's just kind of like... I don't see the connection. There is no connection. You are grappling at straws to hold onto old ways of thinking that don't matter in these current times.

Everyone is free to think the way they want, and to express their religious beliefs, but do it on your own time. I don't bitch to Christians and Muslims and Jews about my disbelief of their religion. It is none of my damned business to tell you what you should and shouldn't believe, especially when it comes to something as personal as how you live your life. It is also very exhausting to bother caring about something as trivial as what happens to me after I die. I am alive now. So are gay people. Let them live and love how they want to while they are alive and whatever happens to us all after death we will meet when it happens.

I hope that within my lifetime, people accept, love and respect all gay and transgender individuals. It would be nice also, if someone's sexuality wasn't on your mind when talking to them. I don't think about someone's 'straightness' or 'gayness', but I guess that comes from being around so many different types of people.

Marriage may be someone's dream; don't ruin their dreams to walk down the isle with their one true love because of your opinions. It's such a simple thing. So simple. Love people for who they are and how they treat you. Don't mess with someone's way of living when it doesn't have anything to do with you. If they're good people, then they're good people. Gay, straight, trans, religious, nonreligious, all races of people.

/enddiatribe

edit: BTW, I am watching on the news that three children have been denied to be adopted by loving and responsible parents because they both happen to be women. What the fuck.

Cub
02-26-2014, 05:49 AM
My thoughts are extremely simple:
Why should it matter if they are married to you? Like it doesn't affect anybody else but themselves and if it is something they want, then why deny their freedom.
I have never thought of people who are gay differently whatsoever and I dont feel that people should be treated any differently for a single aspect of their life. You gain nothing from denying somebody the right to marry, other than looking like an asshole.

barry
02-26-2014, 09:48 AM
i don't see what the issue is. let gay people get married. it won't affect anyone else's life. period.

^ that, basically.

bsbgales
03-01-2014, 04:33 PM
It is a free world and love is love no matter the gender :emmersed:

Foxglove
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
I think gays should be allowed to marry.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but interfering with other peoples' lives is sooo different from having an opinion. I really dislike those who are against gay marriage and actively seek to bar the gays from marrying, I mean, who are you to butt yourself into another person's life and tell them what they can and cannot do, when they themselves are not inflicting any harm on you?

I will admit this though -- people who carry such strong prejudice against gays (or anything, really) ARE harmed, because in being prejudice, your autonomic nervous system kicks in and your blood vessels constrict and your body starts taking apart your muscle in an attempt to get more energy ready for the "fight or flight" reaction. This ultimately can lead to early disease (such as heart disease; heart is a muscle, and if this prejudice is eating away at your heart muscle, then yeah, it's not a good thing).

But this is NOT the fault of any gay individual* -- it is your own fault for carrying such prejudice. But this prejudice can dissipate over time, with regular exposure to positive, good experiences with gay individuals.

* There are people who have similar reactions to individuals of color. (You can call them racist, but really, we all sit on a continuum of racism, and we simply fall at different points on the scale, and maybe those individuals sit at the far end of the scale.) And would you say that it is the individual of color's fault for existing, that this "racist" individual ends up being harmed by their presence? Absolutely not! It's simply the "racist" individual's fault (well, maybe not, because our world views and our understanding of the metaphysics of the world are in large part based on nurture) for being so prejudiced, and it's in their best interest to become less prejudiced over time.

Misha
03-13-2014, 02:27 PM
I think gays should be allowed to marry.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but interfering with other peoples' lives is sooo different from having an opinion. I really dislike those who are against gay marriage and actively seek to bar the gays from marrying, I mean, who are you to butt yourself into another person's life and tell them what they can and cannot do, when they themselves are not inflicting any harm on you?

I will admit this though -- people who carry such strong prejudice against gays (or anything, really) ARE harmed, because in being prejudice, your autonomic nervous system kicks in and your blood vessels constrict and your body starts taking apart your muscle in an attempt to get more energy ready for the "fight or flight" reaction. This ultimately can lead to early disease (such as heart disease; heart is a muscle, and if this prejudice is eating away at your heart muscle, then yeah, it's not a good thing).

But this is NOT the fault of any gay individual* -- it is your own fault for carrying such prejudice. But this prejudice can dissipate over time, with regular exposure to positive, good experiences with gay individuals.

* There are people who have similar reactions to individuals of color. (You can call them racist, but really, we all sit on a continuum of racism, and we simply fall at different points on the scale, and maybe those individuals sit at the far end of the scale.) And would you say that it is the individual of color's fault for existing, that this "racist" individual ends up being harmed by their presence? Absolutely not! It's simply the "racist" individual's fault (well, maybe not, because our world views and our understanding of the metaphysics of the world are in large part based on nurture) for being so prejudiced, and it's in their best interest to become less prejudiced over time.

butt yourself into another person's life

Ok done joking. In all seriousness, you make very valid points. I agree with you 100%

Rissa
03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
I believe in gay marriage.
I mean honestly, what's the harm? I fully believe in people doing whatever the hell they want as long as it doesn't do bodily harm to someone else.
I don't think anyone has a right to dictate how another should live theirs. (Again, as long as it doesn't harm people)
Religion wise (if they're in the US) not everyone is Christian/Catholic so we really shouldn't just abide by what they feel is wrong or right. Hell this country was founded so we could all live the way we want yet years later we're still debating whether we should let certain people get married. Damn.

Misha
03-14-2014, 08:19 AM

EdenQueen
03-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Just saw this thread.
This debate hits very close to home for me as I have many friends who are members of the LGBT community. I see them struggle on a daily basis and would fight someone who infringed on their rights to the end of the earth.
When it comes down to it, a recent picture circulating on facebook sums up my feelings on this and many other similar equality matters:

DarthD
04-13-2014, 01:13 PM
For. Two consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want to do, regardless of their gender.

Poe
05-05-2014, 01:36 AM
I vote for gay zoophile marriage. I wish I can marry my cats you know...

rosieb
05-05-2014, 03:57 AM
All for gay marriage. For starters, I don't give a shit what the next person does as long as it's not potentially harming my children or I, now or in the future...and frankly, gay marriage is such a positive for society. Besides the fact that America has separation of church and state (except for in this case, of course, which just shows how absolutely disgusting ALL politicians are) and this shouldn't be an issue legally, at alllllll....there are actually several positive outcomes from widespread gay marriage which is held equal to regular marriage (?) I don't even know how to word it because I don't consider gay marriage abnormal, you get the idea though right?...anyways....one of the biggest arguments against gay marriage is about the children and how it effects them. It's honestly the most pseudoscience bullshit ever...here's a decent debate, if you have the time, Gallagher really show how STUPID anti-gay marriage beliefs are...even though she didn't mean to.

This isn't the exact debate I wanted to show you but I can find it and I'm annoyed. I'm sure the content is fairly similar anyways....

xoxokari
05-05-2014, 09:59 PM

I think I kind of agree with this but too many people are afraid to explore. I haven't ever been attracted to another female personally but I think love is love with a person, not a gender.

i, personally, agree with this idea. people fall in love with a person, not a gender.
anyone who denies themselves the opportunity to make a once in a lifetime connection with someone just because they have or lack a specific body part might seriously be missing out.

and to answer the original question, i wholeheartedly support marriage between same-sex partners. equality for all. it's basic.

chiro
05-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I approve. People love who they love, you can try to tell them that it's "wrong" all you want, but in the end it's exactly that and you can't take it away from them.

firehawk
05-27-2014, 07:21 AM
i've got so many gay friends and i wish the best to all of them so def pro marriage for everyone

Targaryen
05-29-2014, 07:00 PM
I don't see a problem with it.
If two people love each other and want to be together forever go for it man!
That's how its supposed to be. I seriously think as of now though ALOT of people are more supportive of this issue then a couple years ago. My old state I just moved from just legalized it (Pennsylvania) *woohoo*.
I think people need to stop worrying about what others are doing in their personal lives if it doesn't affect them one little bit.

Bexxy
05-30-2014, 10:08 PM
I don't think anyone should get married i think we should all live in sin

and sin lots and lots and lots...

yummy sin!!

I think people weren't created to be monogamous, at all. Open relationships all the way!

Hawknyr
06-02-2014, 08:23 PM
short answer: i wouldn't support it

Long answer: supporting gay marriage is supporting inequality. If you can't have the same thing, its most definitely not equal. The fact you have to label it as Gay Marriage already implies its not the same, and therefore unequal. I don't believe in anyway it is spun that it ever will. the more practical thing to do is instead of fighting for "gay marriage" would be to fight to separate marriage from your government and then ply for civil unions to replace them. Whether its a gay couple or a straight couple, the state would only recognize them as civil unions.

Clraik Perry
06-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm against. A society of gay couples do not generate descendants and a society that no children will not forward.

spysie
06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I am for gay marriage!
It's about love and being together with someone for the rest of yoru life :)

if they want kids they can adopt of have surrogate mothers/sperm donors

and they should also have the same right as heterosexual marriages.

this wouldn't even be an issue if people take one "sinful" thing out of the bible when they do just about ever other sin themselves, most importantly not adhering to the #1 law of the Bible/Qur'an/Torah-
"Do unto others as you would have them do to unto you" "treat thy neighbor as thy would treat thyself"

Even family members can be really abusive to their cousins/siblings/children for being gay and it's just not right regardless of your beliefs :/

Minty
06-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I'm pansexual, so. You already know where my feelings lie.

Christians/catholics need to realize that the entire country does not revolve around them. Same sex marriage does not harm them. Everyone else has a "bUT yOU GOTTA MAKE LE BABIEZ!!!" attitude until the baby is born, to which they then give zero shits about supporting the parents and child. There is plenty of homeless children as it is, insisting that same sex marriage / relationships are bad because they can't turn into a baby clown car is pointless. They can adopt children if they want a child, which is definitely better than spewing out more.

Eventually, in a better time and day, people who oppose marriage equality will be viewed with the same sort of disgust as people who do not support interracial marriages.

auzereis
06-06-2014, 02:20 PM
why even bother getting married? if i wanna be with someone for rest of my life i dont need a piece of paper or some event to tell me what i already know ... lol but then again relationships is all about compromise and if the gf wants to get married we shall

Sakuras
06-06-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm for gay marriage, love is love. Everyone should have the right to marry who they wanna marry. :)

Double.Trouble
06-11-2014, 07:35 PM
For it, I'm gay myself. It baffles me that this is still an issue this day and age. And yes, that "piece of paper" does matter. There are over 1,100 benefits given to married couples. If my partner is dying in a hospital, I can be denied visitation because I won't be an actual "spouse."

I can't stand religion and the religious trying to dictate MY life. I don't harp on anyone for believing in outdated worldviews. I think they're stupid, but I won't go denying their right to have those beliefs or go to church.

And to people who say it's "unnatural" because we can't procreate, what about infertile heterosexual couples? Or heterosexual couples who don't want to have kids? There is more to life than crapping out kids. Plus, there are millions of homeless kids and kids that jump from foster home to foster home all their lives who would love any family. Last time I looked, heterosexuals are the majority and I don't think having kids is going to die out any time soon.

I just want to go out in public with my partner and do things that straight couples get to do all the time without worry and not have to fear that I'll be beat up or killed for it.

Skarl
06-11-2014, 07:39 PM
fight to separate marriage from your government and then ply for civil unions to replace them. Whether its a gay couple or a straight couple, the state would only recognize them as civil unions.

I second your opinion. Thank you for this well-developed explanation.

Benny
06-12-2014, 12:34 AM
I'm against. A society of gay couples do not generate descendants and a society that no children will not forward.

This argument makes no sense. A certificate of marriage isn't going to change the number of babies being born. All it changes is how the state views the gay couple. If the couple can't be married ... they're still going to be gay and unable to procreate.

Water
06-12-2014, 03:10 AM
People should be able to love freely, no matter the sex of the person. The more 'people' refuse to accept gays and them getting married, the dumber we will look in history.

Sil
06-12-2014, 04:56 PM
I think people should be able to marry whoever you chose.

When you marry someone, it's supposed to be based on who they are as a person. How well the two of you connect and get along and tolerate each other. Not what the other person's gentiles are. To base marriage of genitals if a bit... odd.

And, really. How is who someone else decides to marry going to effect you? If you don't like people of the same sex marrying... then don't marry someone of the same sex. I don't like almonds, but I don't go around smacking almonds of out of people's hands and shout "I DON'T LIKE THOSE, YOU CAN'T EAT THEM!!"

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

So what about all those orphans?
They sure could use a loving home.

And what about people who, for whatever reason, cannot have children.
What if they're infertile or having kids would be really bad for them.
Are you saying those people shouldn't marry either?

Tablo
06-12-2014, 05:19 PM

Is this post a parody or are you just that ignorant?

Maths
06-12-2014, 05:51 PM

How is that related to marriage though ? Gay couples exist even if they can't marry. So basically you're against homosexuality, not gay marriage.

Tablo
06-12-2014, 06:02 PM
How is that related to marriage though ? Gay couples exist even if they can't marry. So basically you're against homosexuality, not gay marriage.

I find that people have to use arguments like this because there really is nothing logical against it.

So they just type something that they think sounds good and click submit? I dont know.

That or "Its my religious right to stop you from getting married" One of the two.

Ian
06-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I am against homosexuality, because people are not "born gay" as many people say. I just don't like same sex relationships.

Tablo
06-12-2014, 10:29 PM
I am against homosexuality, because people are not "born gay" as many people say. I just don't like same sex relationships.

So what if people arent born gay? This is quite possibly the worst argument ever.

"Well I think its icky! yuck yuck yuck! And because I FEEL ITS ICKY YUCKY DO NOT LIKE you cant get the same benefits as me!"

Yep, reminds me of black people not being able to do anything because some people disliked their skin color.

I am so so so so offended by this argument, hope you reply and try to rationalize it though, I'd be happy to hear how you think its okay to strip people of rights because you dont like them :)

Land of the free, as long as you are exactly as we want you to be! Glad I dont live there ;)

Benny
06-12-2014, 10:30 PM

And how did you decide you can't be born gay?

Also, even if it was a choice, why is it a wrong or bad choice?

Edit: Tablo beat me to it, basically said what I wanted to say as well

Ian
06-12-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm not trying to use this as a crutch but I am 14 I am sorry if you don't like what I said mr. land of the free. I have no explanation of why I don't like it and I will admit that I have no explanation

Tablo
06-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm not trying to use this as a crutch but I am 14 I am sorry if you don't like what I said mr. land of the free. I have no explanation of why I don't like it and I will admit that I have no explanation

You shouldn't express opinions which can be considered extremely offensive if you cant even back them up.

You are too young to understand what marriage means and I understand that, but its so much of a disadvantage for no reason if you cant get married.

Ian
06-12-2014, 10:42 PM
You shouldn't express opinions which can be considered extremely offensive if you cant even back them up.

Ok. I didn't realize it would offend everyone my bad. I forgot I can't express my opinion.

Tablo
06-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Ok. I didn't realize it would offend everyone my bad. I forgot I can't express my opinion.
You sure can express your opinion, but you'd better be prepared to back your bigotry up when asked to, makes sense right?

Heres a start, go ahead and tell me how gay marriage harms you in any way shape or form, or society for that matter.

j03
06-12-2014, 10:44 PM

You are too young to understand what marriage means and I understand that, but its so much of a disadvantage for no reason if you cant get married.

No offense, but his post had no offensive words in it. It was just an opinion, please try to realize this...

Ian
06-12-2014, 10:46 PM
You sure can express your opinion, but you'd better be prepared to back your bigotry up when asked to, makes sense right?

Heres a start, go ahead and tell me how gay marriage harms you in any way shape or form, or society for that matter.

I'm just not even going to continue with this because I'm not going to deal with people who think that being able to express your opinions only goes one way.

Tablo
06-12-2014, 10:46 PM
No offense, but his post had no offensive words in it. It was just an opinion, please try to realize this...

Perhaps I'm too heated up, but knowing people that actually suffer because of things like this, its easy to get worked up.

Ian

You have no argument.. this is the debate zone.

It goes both ways, now why dont you tell me why without saying its icky? Thats not a good reason..

Ian
06-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Perhaps I'm too heated up, but knowing people that actually suffer because of things like this, its easy to get worked up.

Ian

You have no argument.. this is the debate zone.
Ian

It goes both ways, now why dont you tell me why without saying its icky? Thats not a good reason..

I don't really have a reason other than the fact that I feel that it is incorrect.

Benny
06-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Ian has every right to express his opinion, but maybe one shouldn't come to a place called 'Debate Zone' if one does not know how to articulate their position well or defend it.

But we all had opinions at 14 years old that we were bad at explaining. He's still very young and has plenty of time to mature and explore his feelings on the subject.

In the end debating is about attacking/supporting ideas, not people.

Tablo
06-12-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't really have a reason other than the fact that I feel that it is incorrect.

Okay, thats fine, I'm sorry for getting so heated at you, I just get angry when people talk this way about basic human rights.

Its also a right to have an opinion however, so again I apologize.
Benny

I really hope I wasnt attacking him personally, this is obviously a personal issue to me, so I suppose I felt like I was being attacked, which I was not.

Again I took things too personally, my bad.

I'd also like to add that I didnt realize he was so young at first, and this was one of the posts to start the thread:
"I believe from the bottom of my heart that anyone selfish enough to protest gay marriage should be stoned and publicly shamed for their ignorance."

Benny
06-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Oh, I wasn't trying to reprimand you Tablo, just trying to maintain the civility of how debate should be before anything escalated (which I don't think it did)

I think we're all good now

Maths
06-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Opinions can go from a way to another and some people can take it some ways that are incorrect. For example, most people would say that what Hitler did was horribly wrong and when someone tries to open another door, saying that at the time, people thought that way and felt this way about some type of people, they get completely destroyed by others, when in fact, this is exactly what happened. It was horrible, yes, but it is a part of history and even if people can hate Hitler as much as they want, the man still took over most Europe and had a reign of terror that most empiric dictators never even dreamed to have.

Homosexuality is a bit of the same thing, with a lot of differences, however. I'm gay and I had a lot of trouble realizing it. I thought a lot about myself and how I felt and I realized that all my life all that have attracted me in certain ways is the male person. I was too shy to approach any guys so I hung out with girls all the time, but I don't -look- gay (sorry if that hurts anyone) and I don't have the very stereotyped behavior of gays (by the way, most gay people act pretty normal in real life).

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on the subject, it's 2014 and things are moving in this particular subject, especially in the US or France, or even Ouganda who has recently adopted a law that would banish homosexuality by sentencing all gays to death. Again, their country, their opinions.

However what I have a hard time dealing with is the change of comportment that people have when they learn that someone is homosexual. I think everyone has the right to think what they want to think and to prefer not to interact with people that do not follow what they think is the right choice (life-mode speaking). It has happened once in my life before, in a work situation, where I had met this really nice person, we had a bunch of interests in common and had a nice friendship, nothing more for me and clearly not for him. Don't get me wrong, I don't introduce myself saying : '' Hey, I'm Math and I'm gay nice to meet you '', but he learned some way because I'm not ashamed of who I am.

A thing leading to another, he stopped talking to me, stopped answering his texts and when I asked him why, he only said that he wasn't interested in talking with someone like me. This was a very hard moment in my life because it was the first time I had to deal with what could have been homophobia or just a simple fear that I was 'interested' in him, which I obviously denied.

To sum up, I think everyone has the right to feel the way they want about this delicate subject, but when you have a friend, someone you get along with, please don't reject them if one day they admit their orientation to you. This hurts a lot, especially when you really care about the other person.

That's what I had to say.

Tablo
06-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Opinions can go from a way to another and some people can take it some ways that are incorrect. For example, most people would say that what Hitler did was horribly wrong and when someone tries to open another door, saying that at the time, people thought that way and felt this way about some type of people, they get completely destroyed by others, when in fact, this is exactly what happened. It was horrible, yes, but it is a part of history and even if people can hate Hitler as much as they want, the man still took over most Europe and had a reign of terror that most empiric dictators never even dreamed to have.

Homosexuality is a bit of the same thing, with a lot of differences, however. I'm gay and I had a lot of trouble realizing it. I thought a lot about myself and how I felt and I realized that all my life all that have attracted me in certain ways is the male person. I was too shy to approach any guys so I hung out with girls all the time, but I don't -look- gay (sorry if that hurts anyone) and I don't have the very stereotyped behavior of gays (by the way, most gay people act pretty normal in real life).

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on the subject, it's 2014 and things are moving in this particular subject, especially in the US or France, or even Ouganda who has recently adopted a law that would banish homosexuality by sentencing all gays to death. Again, their country, their opinions.

However what I have a hard time dealing with is the change of comportment that people have when they learn that someone is homosexual. I think everyone has the right to think what they want to think and to prefer not to interact with people that do not follow what they think is the right choice (life-mode speaking). It has happened once in my life before, in a work situation, where I had met this really nice person, we had a bunch of interests in common and had a nice friendship, nothing more for me and clearly not for him. Don't get me wrong, I don't introduce myself saying : '' Hey, I'm Math and I'm gay nice to meet you '', but he learned some way because I'm not ashamed of who I am.

A thing leading to another, he stopped talking to me, stopped answering his texts and when I asked him why, he only said that he wasn't interested in talking with someone like me. This was a very hard moment in my life because it was the first time I had to deal with what could have been homophobia or just a simple fear that I was 'interested' in him, which I obviously denied.

To sum up, I think everyone has the right to feel the way they want about this delicate subject, but when you have a friend, someone you get along with, please don't reject them if one day they admit their orientation to you. This hurts a lot, especially when you really care about the other person.

That's what I had to say.

Personally been there, but in a different, yet very similar way. (Kicked out, havnt spoken to family in years..) Great post, sorry you went through that.

Cub
06-13-2014, 02:27 AM
My thoughts on gay marriage in a nutshell: do whatever you wanna do, because its your life and its not hurting anybody so whats there to be against.

People need to stop trying to dictate other peoples lives. I mean the majority of this world is free and we are able to do what we want.

Thommy
06-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Doesn't matter none to me, make it harder to get a divorce or to remarry (for everyone) and you'll see alot of issues work themselves out. People won't marry for a title anymore, since really, there is no perk to marriage (unless you are practice certain religions that ban homosexuality anyhow).

The main governmental perks of marriage are all covered under civil unions, which alot of states (in the US) allow. Marriage just affords you a different 'title'

onid
06-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Doesn't matter none to me, make it harder to get a divorce or to remarry (for everyone) and you'll see alot of issues work themselves out. People won't marry for a title anymore, since really, there is no perk to marriage (unless you are practice certain religions that ban homosexuality anyhow).

The main governmental perks of marriage are all covered under civil unions, which alot of states (in the US) allow. Marriage just affords you a different 'title'

Here are some rights that married couples have that domestic partners (people in a civil union, gay or straight) may not have, depending on their state.

1. Taking a leave from work to care for a sick spouse under the Family Medical Leave Act and have unlimited visitation privileges if spouse is hospitalized.
2. Making medical decisions for sick spouse when spouse is unable.
3. Social Security survivor benefits for the widow/widower.
4. Inheriting deceased spouse's assets without incurring any tax.
5. Tax breaks

As of March 26, 2014, per The National Conference of State Legislature ([Only registered and activated users can see links]):

Of the 17 states that recognize civil unions and domestic partnerships (gay or straight), only eight states have granted nearly similar rights to married couples and domestic partners (gay or straight), while 9 other states still "give out" straight common-law marriages, which is a whole other mess.

I wouldn't call 26 out of 55 a lot, but I guess I'm just being pedantic now.

Unfounded
06-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Honestly, I just think it opens the door for other types of people who also expect the right to be married. Ever hear of NAMBLA?

I don't believe in homosexuality and feel it's a sin. I don't think you're born with it. I think it's a choice you make. If I have two cars to choose from and pick the mustang over the beetle, it doesn't mean I was born to like a mustang... it means I'm choosing the one I like more.

Look at the dictionary definition:

mar�riage
ˈmarij/Submit
noun
the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Benny
06-14-2014, 04:13 AM
Degrastic Honestly that's a horrible and insulting false equivalence. And it can be applied the exact same way to straight people.... so do you CHOOSE to like chicks? Of course not. You have no choice whether or not you get hard seeing a man or a woman.

In this unfortunately bigoted age, why the fuck would anyone CHOOSE to be gay?

And the dictionary definition wildly differs depending where you look. This is how dictionary.com defines it:

1. (broadly) any of the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities and including, for example, opposite-sex marriage, same-sex marriage, plural marriage, and arranged marriage

Also... why does what the dictionary matter says? You just follow what a book tells you to follow? You realize the dictionary wasn't handed down to us by someone in the sky, they are written by humans and as such reflect the era that they are written in. And dictionaries are constantly changing.

And I can't believe you had the audacity to compare gay people and pedophiles. The difference is that gay adults are TWO CONSENTING ADULTS, NOT A CREEPY GUY MOLESTING A CHILD THAT CAN'T CONSENT.

spike
06-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Honestly, I just think it opens the door for other types of people who also expect the right to be married. Ever hear of NAMBLA?

I don't believe in homosexuality and feel it's a sin. I don't think you're born with it. I think it's a choice you make. If I have two cars to choose from and pick the mustang over the beetle, it doesn't mean I was born to like a mustang... it means I'm choosing the one I like more.

mar�riage
ˈmarij/Submit
noun
the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Ooookay... lots to tackle here.

Here is an awesome video that covers some fairly broad topics about homosexuality: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

That video goes over the biology in being gay, as well as listing several animals that can be homosexual in nature, and explains why, in fact, it is not a choice. And speaking of it being a choice... why the hell would you choose something that is the harder path? Why would you CHOOSE to have a life filled with ridicule and hate?

Also, I'm gonna second what Benny said. The difference is that gay marriage is between two consenting adults. The slippery slope argument does nothing for me, because things like pedophilia and bestiality contain one partner that cannot consent.

Slytherin
06-14-2014, 12:41 PM

mar�riage
ˈmarij/Submit
noun

I feel sorry for you.
It must be hard being that stupid.

raxn
06-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Gay marriage should be legalised! The government should not fucking tell everyone what to do and uphold a majority's religious/cultural beliefs. Seriously, what are the people who do get married going to do against them? -__- If anything, they'll receive more money for marriage contracts.

Skarl
06-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Tablo
06-14-2014, 09:37 PM

That was hard to watch.

Skarl
06-14-2014, 09:38 PM
That was hard to watch.
Did you see this on television? Because response time means ya didn't watch it just now! I was very proud of the outspoken college kid.

Tablo
06-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Did you see this on television? Because response time means ya didn't watch it just now! I was very proud of the outspoken college kid.

Seen the clip before, the college kid did well, but the other people in the restaurant made me sad.

Skarl
06-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Seen the clip before, the college kid did well, but the other people in the restaurant made me sad.

The Bible doesn't teach you to shun folks like that.

I support Civil Unions. I think America would vote for the union if that terminology were used, rather than "marriage." My sentiments are on pages fourteen and fifteen ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

Tablo
06-14-2014, 10:00 PM

I support Civil Unions. I think America would vote for the union if that terminology were used, rather than "marriage." My sentiments are on pages fourteen and fifteen ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

People like to have their own interpretations of the bible. I read your sentiments already, agreed with them too.

As for unions, this entire issue shouldnt exist in an ideal world.. but hey, that could work.

Skarl
06-14-2014, 10:07 PM
People like to have their own interpretations of the bible. I read your sentiments already, agreed with them too.

As for unions, this entire issue shouldnt exist in an ideal world.. but hey, that could work.

I know that you had. I was just reiterating so that if someone saw my post (with the video) they'd know I wasn't a Bible-thumping jerkwad. :P

Tablo
06-14-2014, 10:10 PM
I know that you had. I was just reiterating so that if someone saw my post (with the video) they'd know I wasn't a Bible-thumping jerkwad. :P

Ah, okay :P

spike
06-15-2014, 12:16 PM

I disagree that it should be called a civil union. That perpetuates the idea that gays are somehow different or lesser than straight couples.

Skarl
06-15-2014, 02:17 PM
I disagree that it should be called a civil union. That perpetuates the idea that gays are somehow different or lesser than straight couples.

I don't see how. Civil unions for all, with no government-recognized marriages...

spike
06-15-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't see how. Civil unions for all, with no government-recognized marriages...

Ooooh do you mean EVERY marriage being called a civil union, even those between straight couples? If that's the case, sure. All I care about is using the same word for everyone. Whether it be marriage or civil unions.

I didn't read back on your larger posts, so, sorry I misunderstood.

Skarl
06-15-2014, 02:53 PM
No problem, spike!

Strumpette
06-25-2014, 04:10 PM
I honestly don't even see why gay marriage is still an issue. There are so many other things to worry about in this world that two people who happen to be of the same sex wanting to marry just shouldn't be one of them. There are straight people who have been married 5+ times or can get married and divorce in a month, but gay partners who have been together for years can't make their partnership official because of silly rules and regulations. I think we're finally moving in the right direction though as far as this topic is concerned, considering how many states in the USA have now legalized gay marriage, so I think that's important to recognize.

Psudoprofessionalism
07-23-2014, 08:20 PM
I would have been absolutely shocked and almost impressed if anyone actually came out and actively tried to denounce gay marriage on this thread...

Integra
07-23-2014, 11:27 PM
I don't think there is a way to actively come out and denounce it. All in all, I'd be shocked if we didn't all know at least 1 person who is gay either openly or behind closed doors.

The fact is much like everything else in the world, times change and so do laws. In another 10 years Gay Marriage will likely be legislated for in MOST of the worlds most advanced countries. Australia, New Zealand, the USA. And why shouldn't it be? Just because of their sexual preference, it doesn't change who the person is or how they carry on in their life, nor does it need to affect anyone else.

eggloo
07-24-2014, 01:56 AM
I'm straight but if people wanna marry people of their own gender I dont see why we must stop them

Sinnamoon
08-10-2014, 06:26 PM
I don't think it's even an issue. As long as two consenting people want to get married, why not let them? I mean, my grandpa's been married/divorced to 5 different women throughout his life. If someone's gonna say me and my gf can't get married, but he can marry a new lady every couple years, that doesn't make any sense.

I'm guessing a lot of the opposition is a religious thing? But I know a lot of religious people who are perfectly open and accepting about it. Hopefully people will be less bigoted and more open as the years go on.

Lincoln
08-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I believe that the state should recognize any marriage, regardless of gender. However, no church should EVER have to recognize a marriage they don't believe is right.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Well, it really wouldn't perpetuate a feel of gay being 'lesser'. More like different. Gay couples are different than straight couples, and that's totally okay. I disagree with the terminology change as well, but because it's just unnecessary. To change the term and not actually change any of the rights is stupid. It'd be like if a guy ate an apple, and we called it an apple. But the, a girl ate an apple, and we called it a fucking salamaloo. If it's the same thing, it doesn't need to be called something different.

Lukaz
08-11-2014, 06:44 AM

mar�riage
ˈmarij/Submit
noun
I'm sorry but it's almost scientifically proved that we don't chose our sexual orientation. Naturally, the same way you don't choose to be straight, gay people don't choose to be gay. There are certainly people who choose to be gay, but that's an sexual option and not their sexual orientation, which in that case would be bisexual.

Also, if you're interested you can take a look on scientific sites and you will find several studies about that, most says that the "secret" for our sexual orientation is on genes, there's a lot of theories about this matter and none says that being gay is a personal choice.

Sexual Orientation is waaaaaaay different than pick a mustang or a beetle, I mean, we're talking about your body, your feelings, your hormones, your thoughts and not about what is the fastest car. If you ask some gay people if they had a choice to pick a sexual orientation I can ensure you that most of them would say that they would like to be straight or do you think that anyone is predisposed to suffer and heard that they're a sin, an abomination? It's true that this suffering they go throw makes them stronger but no one should suffer because of that.

Now Unfounded, if homosexuality is actually a choice you make, why most animals show gay behavior? Have sex with other males within their specie? I mean, they don't think, they don't choose, it's their instinct, it's who they are.

I mean, people who think that homosexuality is a sin is not paying attention to the world around them, they only look up to god and down to them.

Sorry about any english error and I don't usually talk about this stuff cause it makes me really sad to read some commentaries but I feel like I need to give it a shot. Some people are just uninformed (?) about things and they took what people around them think as what they think.

Starr
08-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Any person who wants to marry any other person should be allowed to.

Now when it comes to people marrying roller coasters or their dogs.. heh that's a semi-different story.

Pinxil
08-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Why not?People should marry with who they really love no matter your gender,age (unless its a pedophile case) or religion.Marriage shouldn't be ruled by other people morals then the couples ones.
Sorry if I made some typing mistakes :D

mugicha
08-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Strongly support same-sex marriage.

It always confused me, since I was a kid, how people in same-sex relationships couldn't get married. By a technicality, I'm in a same-sex relationship, and I'd really love to marry my partner one day.

Clirk
08-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Love is love. End of story. Gender shouldn't factor in, period. It's about time every region started actually being secular when it comes to marriage laws.

hamstergleufje
08-27-2014, 02:48 AM
I am gay myself, but I don't believe in marriage

Virus
12-29-2014, 09:04 AM
My addition to this topic isn't going to be extremely long, but to a point.

If (straight couples) can literally be married, just by a simple common-law marriage ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), then why can't (gay couples) have that too? Living with someone for X amount of time should technically give you some sort of incentive. I mean come on. Married couples of any sort should be rewarded for being together for so long. I know this probably sounds silly. But it's just a thought.

The real reward should be time together, though. ;)

Warlock
12-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Marry who you want! You only live once anyway, so enjoy your life :D

Mama Bear
12-30-2014, 04:18 AM
Now when it comes to people marrying roller coasters or their dogs.. heh that's a semi-different story.

You mean you don't approve of objectumsexuality? How closed minded. I saw a documentary, and you'd be surprised at how slutty that Berlin Wall is...

On a serious note, I believe that equality in partner rights is a crucial part of a developed and fair society. I think whether or not it is called "marriage" is abitrary, as I'm not religious. A rose by any other name etc etc. However I do completely understand why people would feel that using a different label, like "civil union" isn't equality. The same label should be applied, whether it's marriage, partnering, union, or tablecloth. It should be permitted, and it should have equal standing.

Nerevarine
01-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I definitely support marriage equality.

The biggest opposition I can see against it is the issue of religion, but I don't see how letting two people of the same sex get married which does not affect your life in anyway could possibly be harming your religious beliefs.

And if anyone is worried about the sanctity of marriage, what about all of those people out there that divorce and remarry?

Honestly, it amazes me that it's even an issue anymore.

fever
01-03-2015, 11:00 PM
The question of whether or not gay marriage is a stance is about as strange to me if asking if I believe in African Americans.
Like what the hell?

Misha
01-05-2015, 01:58 PM
The question of whether or not gay marriage is a stance is about as strange to me if asking if I believe in African Americans.
Like what the hell?

Agreed. Doesn't affect my life, go for it. I saw something that kinda made me laugh the other day along the lines of , "If atheists deny the existence of God, why do they happily celebrate religious holidays?" To which an atheist replied, "If religions don't believe in scienctific evidence supporting evolution, why do they use medical centers? They should just pray instead."
Made me chuckle

iAirHeartz
01-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Considering that I'm a lesbian I definitely support gay marriage, but I feel like people need to stop acting like making gay marriage legal will cure all homophobia, or like not being able to get married is the biggest issue effecting gay people.

Misha
01-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Considering that I'm a lesbian I definitely support gay marriage, but I feel like people need to stop acting like making gay marriage legal will cure all homophobia, or like not being able to get married is the biggest issue effecting gay people.

I personally don't understand what anyone has against gay people. Not your life not your problem.

iAirHeartz
01-20-2015, 08:56 PM
I personally don't understand what anyone has against gay people. Not your life not your problem.

In general people tend to dislike things that they don't understand or can't relate to.

Misha
01-20-2015, 09:04 PM
In general people tend to dislike things that they don't understand or can't relate to.

Yeah that's true. I suppose I am against structured religion because I don't understand it. But, I would never bash someone for being religious.

01-21-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm gay and obviously agree with it. I don't see why people need to come out as gay if people don't come out as straight. Hello guys, just to let you all know I'm straight... it's been a hard life for me to live and coming out is such a hard problem... like?

Elf
01-21-2015, 04:21 PM
gayz shouldent get married because it is wrong lol adam and eve not adam and steve!!

iAirHeartz
01-22-2015, 04:04 PM
gayz shouldent get married because it is wrong lol adam and eve not adam and steve!!

How do you explain this then?

Mauve
01-25-2015, 03:29 PM
I think wonderfull , gays married.
I want marry

Lindsay
02-05-2015, 10:13 PM
^that cracked me up.

im for it. I have a few dear family and friends who are gay. C:

bonjour
02-11-2015, 01:54 AM
I think if someone loves someone they should be able to marry them, regardless of gender

Nos
02-11-2015, 06:44 PM
i am 100% for it, i never understood why people cared so much about what other people do with their lives.;)

spleef35
02-19-2015, 07:13 PM
I support equality. I don't believe there is any reason to be against equality in all forms, unless you are some kind of bigot.

coldblaze
02-27-2015, 03:58 AM
I am mostly for gay marriage because wholeheartedly wish to believe in the concept of the lifelong companionship that is the lifeblood of the great epics. Marriage is a serious step, however, and straight, gay, ace or whatever, I just wish people would take it a bit more seriously.

tf4trftf43
02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
i agree with it, and im catholic B) i think a consenting adult should be able to marry another consenting adult regardless of gender. shouldn't we all have equal rights? if we're going for the 'i dont just disagree with gay marriage but just gay in general' argument, from a religious standpoint, according to the old testament, 'sodomy' is a sin, but many many things are a sin in the old testament. i believe there's over 70 laws in leviticus? and sodomy also applies to straight couples who do ANYTHING but piv. but, at least i believe, when christ died on the cross we were to follow his word and teachings, not the old testament word and jesus never said anything of that sort.
if you are 'fine' with gays but dont agree with them being married, i think its time to let the marriage thing go. most people get married, and most people aren't virgins, and some people dont have children even if they're married either, and many people also aren't religious, and many get divorced so shouting about how marriage is traditionally wont work because eevn with straight couples many aren't 'traditionally marriages' anyway. i think marriage should be taken more to heart than some people take it with frivolous marriages but at the end of the day they can do what they want.
so it should be legal everywhere (using this in general) because even if some people arent happy about it, unless we take marriage privieleges of people who werent virgin or have been divorced or any number of things, marriage will never truly be traditional. and also, everyone deserves the same human rights.

Rauss
02-28-2015, 09:16 PM
I really hate people who use the bible as an excuse to not let gay people marry. Okay, so maybe you don't think it's "marriage" if gay people are involved. However, when you start letting your arbitrary religious views start affecting other people legally and monetarily, then you're just wrong. Simple as that.
Gay marriage isn't something like pedophilia or anything not consensual. That's why you can't compare it to things like that.

IrishCreme
02-28-2015, 09:21 PM

I would've spammed the thanks button, but i can only press it once for you.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

I really hate people who use the bible as an excuse to not let gay people marry. Okay, so maybe you don't think it's "marriage" if gay people are involved. However, when you start letting your arbitrary religious views start affecting other people legally and monetarily, then you're just wrong. Simple as that.
Gay marriage isn't something like pedophilia or anything not consensual. That's why you can't compare it to things like that.

I love when people use the bible, cause I'd smack em with it and let em know that it's just as useful as a blank book in the real world.
I'm from Canada, the land of do whatever the fuck you want, if it doesn't hurt me or my family, i don't care what you do.

Amen.

learningtoneopet1
02-28-2015, 09:30 PM

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

I love when people use the bible, cause I'd smack em with it and let em know that it's just as useful as a blank book in the real world.
I'm from Canada, the land of do whatever the fuck you want, if it doesn't hurt me or my family, i don't care what you do.

Amen.

We're kind of getting off topic, but when someone tries to prove their ignorance to me through the bible, I take one out and ask them to autograph it ;). Anyways, I don't care who marries who. I can still be somewhat prejudiced against gay guys because I had a bad experience in Junior High where this one homosexual guy came up to me in the locker room and started licking his lips when I was changing my shirt... Pretty much sexual harassment, which kind of scarred me. It sounds stupid looking back on it now, but being the immature person I was then, I thought that was pretty gross. I'm working on being more accepting though. Don't get me wrong, there's tons of cool gay people out there just like there's tons of cool straight people. I just think if anyone of any sexuality sexually harasses someone, then that's not cool. So I'll admit, I was against gay marriage for a while because I would always think back to that experience and would just stereotype all gay people like that.

Rauss
02-28-2015, 09:30 PM

Amen.

Pfff. Made me laugh.
What I don't get is why people want to take the bible literally. It was written by people listening to a bearded guy 2000 years ago, for god's sake (pun intended)!
This is probably no place to start a religious debate, but I wholeheartedly think that science should replace religion, or people should just study religion for the kindness that it preaches.

Your profile pic is amazing, btw.[COLOR="Silver"]

IrishCreme
02-28-2015, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Rauss;567787]Pfff. Made me laugh.
What I don't get is why people want to take the bible literally. It was written by people listening to a bearded guy 2000 years ago, for god's sake (pun intended)!
This is probably no place to start a religious debate, but I wholeheartedly think that science should replace religion, or people should just study religion for the kindness that it preaches.

Your profile pic is amazing, btw.[COLOR="Silver"]

Lol thanks.

My girlfriends family is pretty religious but even they don't care who marries who.
Even the priest at their church,that i do attend, says "Marry who you love, Don't marry a person because someone else tells you to"

That priest / minister, whatever you call him, is so fucking real it's awesome.

Clear
04-25-2015, 11:02 AM
From an American standpoint, I don't even understand it. Isn't religion and state supposed to be kept separate? Yet, marriage provides legal benefits. Right? And the only reason, as far as I can tell, to not legalize gay marriage, is because it goes against religion. So.............. I don't see why it's not legalized.

Besides, two people who love each other are two people who love each other. Why do we even need to look at the gender/sex of them anyway? Ugh.

On a positive note, Shibuya (A ward in Tokyo, Japan) is offering "partnership certificates" to same sex couples. It's not technically gay marriage but it's a step in the right direction.

vj87
04-25-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm for it, I don't see any reason to be against it at all. This 'oh but religious people are against it' crap annoys me. If religious people followed the bible/quran/whatever to a tee...they would be against practically everything

However, most gay people I know (and I know a lot, given I frequent the gay bars on most weekends) do not give a flying fuck about it and don't really see why such a fuss is made. But this might be because they themselves have no interest in getting married, which tbh is the same among most of my friends. They (and I) see it as nothing more than a piece of paper really..probably as none of us are religious and its a religious thing mainly

TwistyBR
05-05-2015, 08:27 AM
everyone should be allow to marry whoever they want, we cant define love

AleeSohma
06-05-2015, 05:31 PM
I'm in favor in all types of marriage, if there is love, then why not permiting it? is like please they're humans let them be! some say is not good and should not be permited, then forced marriage should not be permited also

ratus
06-09-2015, 11:35 PM
My mum married a woman, and they are happy, that's all I care about.

NeopetsLuver1997
06-10-2015, 06:53 PM
First Response: What is the next step after making it okay for two of the same sex getting married? Where do you draw the line? If you make two individuals be allowed to be married even if the same sex why is it not okay for siblings or a 12 year old to get married? They can share the same desires as any person. Why make it okay for someone who chooses to be gay?

Second Response: They shouldn't get tax cuts because establishing a family is the full entitlement for these tax cuts and bettering the country. Do you really think cutting the human population reproduction process deserves the same benefits? And it is because of allowing these tax cuts today that people are allowed to ABUSE our system. The line needs to be drawn somewhere and no matter who it is someone will have a problem with it. I am not stating that everyone should give in to natural consensus but that there are too many people who will abuse these benefits. I am not stating I am better than anyone nor beliefs or morals. And they are giving the same treatment. They are told just like everyone else that if you wish for this benefit you must abide by the same standards as every other person. This growing group who have followed these laws for years now have a problem with it and feel the country should mold to their liking. With the decisions you make you receive consequences. For example: Having kids means you will lose more of your free time and will have to change your lifestyle because of this new life your are responsible.

First: Are you comparing two consenting adults being married to children and incest? I might flip this around. What is the next step after making it okay for two of the opposite sex getting married? Where do you draw that line? Also, you don't choose to be gay. In your American society where it is often seen as "dirty" or "wrong", or in societies where you can literally DIE for being gay, why would someone choose that lifestyle? Sexuality is hardwired into our brains. Otherwise, you yourself could just choose that you found the same sex attractive.

Second: You know that there are plenty of heterosexual couples that don't have kids right? Because if you want to get technical, then until you have kids I don't see why you should be able to get a tax break. Not to mention, there are tons of homosexual couples that have adopted children, used donors to become pregnant, or hire a surrogate mother. Based on your logic, they should be eligible for a tax break as well, they have to put the same amount of time into raising their children.

All in all, your logic just doesn't add up to anything more then "I don't understand how gay people work." Er, no offense.

Neal Caffrey
06-10-2015, 07:31 PM
being against gay marriage is like wanting to prohibit placing ketchup in a pizza
not your pizza
not your ketchup

In portuguese:

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

First: Are you comparing two consenting adults being married to children and incest? I might flip this around. What is the next step after making it okay for two of the opposite sex getting married? Where do you draw that line? Also, you don't choose to be gay. In your American society where it is often seen as "dirty" or "wrong", or in societies where you can literally DIE for being gay, why would someone choose that lifestyle? Sexuality is hardwired into our brains. Otherwise, you yourself could just choose that you found the same sex attractive.

Second: You know that there are plenty of heterosexual couples that don't have kids right? Because if you want to get technical, then until you have kids I don't see why you should be able to get a tax break. Not to mention, there are tons of homosexual couples that have adopted children, used donors to become pregnant, or hire a surrogate mother. Based on your logic, they should be eligible for a tax break as well, they have to put the same amount of time into raising their children.

All in all, your logic just doesn't add up to anything more then "I don't understand how gay people work." Er, no offense.

also, for the second one:
If someone have fertiity problems, than it better not marry (??)

Daviid
06-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Why the hell not, if he can marry a pillow ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) and he can marry a videogame ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), a man should be able to marry another man.

kior
06-11-2015, 10:19 AM
On a personal level I'm all for it.

On a larger scale, is your immediate society ready to accept it? If the government legalises it, what would be the consequences?

Matt~
06-11-2015, 07:19 PM
On a personal level I'm all for it.

On a larger scale, is your immediate society ready to accept it? If the government legalises it, what would be the consequences?

This pie chart shows just a few consequences of gay marriage.

Oh, and this couple ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) from Australia will be forced to get a divorce. :(

haiqtpi
06-11-2015, 07:30 PM

Oh, and this couple ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) from Australia will be forced to get a divorce. :(

Interesting that they, self-identified Christians, would divorce out of protest against the government...isn't that like...putting trivial politics before oh I dont know, their God in who's name they are doing this nonsense anyways? lol Anyone who is against gay marriage, that is fine with me, that is your opinion, but attempting to say that gay marriage should NOT be allowed in terms of PUBLIC POLICY affecting anyone outside of yourself, then I have a problem. It blows my mind that people could be that against it, and it troubles me even more that politicians and radio/tv personalities perpetuate the nonsense to gullible/impressionable viewers. I have not really seen many reasons against gay marriage that aren't based in religion - as a matter of fact, said religious people are apparently the victims because their right to persecute and hate is being trampled on by gay rights activists and legislation. It is not like religion has been used in this country to also mistreat blacks, jews, or women or anything like that..... how have they not learned their lesson yet? I hate stupid people.

Matt~
06-11-2015, 07:34 PM
haiqtpi

If I could like your post ten times I would.

haiqtpi
06-11-2015, 08:39 PM
haiqtpi

If I could like your post ten times I would.

Aw thanks bae :-*

kior
06-12-2015, 01:46 AM
LOL matt :P two consequences only then :cocksure:

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Anyone who is against gay marriage, that is fine with me, that is your opinion, but attempting to say that gay marriage should NOT be allowed in terms of PUBLIC POLICY affecting anyone outside of yourself, then I have a problem. It blows my mind that people could be that against it, and it troubles me even more that politicians and radio/tv personalities perpetuate the nonsense to gullible/impressionable viewers.

hmm consider if gay marriage were to be allowed in a multi-racial but secular society, would it be a problem? gay marriage is not condoned in such societies precisely because religious issues might surface and cause further fissions in societal fabric, no?

Lapis
06-12-2015, 02:17 AM
I'm all for gay marriage. Most of the arguments against it are half assed anyway.

Lincoln
06-12-2015, 03:42 AM
On a national level I think we should really think about whether or not we want the federal government exerting this kind of control over the states. I'm not sure marriage falls under federal jurisdiction.

However, states SHOULD legalize it, and they are going to eventually, just give it some time. It's amazing to see how exponentially progress grows in terms of human rights. In the ten thousand years that humans have been on this earth, only in the last two hundred have we banned owning other human beings. Less than 150 years from that decision, a man of the race that was owned at one point is now the most powerful man on the planet, of OUR choice. While gay men were at one time burned at the stake, a trans woman is now being accepted in mainstream media as a beautiful woman, no less, and nothing different.

I'm an optimist, and god damn it's going well for human rights and equality. I have complete faith that, given a little bit of time, gay marriage will be legalized in all fifty states, as it damn well should be!

The guy that gave two points: not going to even bother quoting or tagging here. The 'studies' you're talking about are entirely falsified to support a basic claim surrounded by bigotry. Your first point is an unwarranted slippery slope argument and completely disregards the most important notion of sex: consent. Your second point is so fucked up it's incredible, a person not being procreative, if looked at objectively, is helping out. We don't need more population, we need less. Why don't we ban straight marriage in the U.S.? Oh wait. Maybe the state isn't supposed to determine why two people can and cannot be married! This revolutionary concept would hold that not only should we not start shooting straight people, but we should also allow anyone who is a consenting adult to get married.

Fuck the bigotry, love is love through and through.

Ph0enix
06-12-2015, 09:36 AM
What drives me crazy is that Obama said that each state has control over it's decision to legalize it. Like wtf, people are just as gay in colorado as they are in Nevada. They are doing the same thing now with weed. It just doesn't make any sense to me!

haiqtpi
06-12-2015, 11:18 AM
What drives me crazy is that Obama said that each state has control over it's decision to legalize it. Like wtf, people are just as gay in colorado as they are in Nevada. They are doing the same thing now with weed. It just doesn't make any sense to me!

That is because in this country, policy often has nothing to do with the issue at hand and more random abstract "what if-s." Basically, it's an argument that goes back to the constitutional convention when our government framework was being laid out in the wake of the failures is the Articles of Confederation. The AoC provided a very weak centralized government which had trouble enforcing its own laws, among many other issues. Despite these short comings, there was a large group of delegates who favored it over our current constitution because it established what they feared was TOO strong of s centralized government, one which was in their eyes, eerily parallel to the pre-revolutionary government under the king of England.

Sadly, to this day, the fear of a strong centralized government remains, and is a large piece of the Republican and Liberitarian political ideals. This is an example that many gun regulation opponents cite, that "the government wants to take away your automatic weapons in order to be able to strip you of your rights and ultimately establish some sort of martial state" -_- so you see, they had morons back in the late 18th century too xD

Winona
06-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Many, many pages back in this thread, there was a bit of a heated discussion about the Westboro Baptist Church.

For my own two cents:
I support religious freedom, even when it makes me so angry I can't see straight, but what they're doing goes way above and beyond simple religious freedom. They're free to hate gay people in their own church, and put signs against gay people on their church's lawn, but when it turns into the awful, despicable harassment they're so well known for (protesting at funerals, for fuck's sake) that's just out of line.

Do I have a problem with people loudly and vehemently hating gay people within their own church? Yes, definitely, but that doesn't mean I can or should do anything about it. The same should go for them. Do they have a problem with gay people? Obviously. Does that mean that trying to stop them from protesting at the funerals of gay people counts as stifling their religious freedom? God, no.

Be religiously free, disagree with homosexuality, that's fine. I don't like it, but I don't have to. Nobody has to like it, if they don't want. In the name of equality, let the haters be haters and the gays be gays.

I wish marriage wasn't such a necessity for medical benefits and such and wish this wasn't such an issue in this modern day and age, but damn fuck do I support. Would love to get married to someone someday, no matter their gender. :)

As a bit of an aside, I may not agree with the people in this thread who have expressed their negative opinions on homosexuality, but I love it that so many of them have agreed to disagree, instead of forcing the issue of their beliefs. Thanks for keeping it civil, guys. I may not agree with you but you're clearly not bad people.

OpTic Specs
06-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Nope why is this even forum it should be outlawed

Neal Caffrey
06-18-2015, 11:31 AM

this is exactly what I meant.

cmon guys. the church don't have to accept this. but society does.

Matt~
06-18-2015, 11:41 AM
LOL matt :P two consequences only then :cocksure:

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

hmm consider if gay marriage were to be allowed in a multi-racial but secular society, would it be a problem? gay marriage is not condoned in such societies precisely because religious issues might surface and cause further fissions in societal fabric, no?

There are literally zero consequences. I don't understand what you mean? Lmao.

maelkins
06-18-2015, 01:56 PM
I believe love is love. gender shouldn't matter. no one has the right to "judge" or same something is right or wrong except God.

Banararama
06-19-2015, 10:12 AM
When the SUCCESS rate of marriage is now on average a 1/3 I say let them do it C: also I believe everyone should be happy and be who they are. There are many biological variations in the human species, and it's simply just another one.

neopeep
07-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Even if you don't agree with gay marriage, you don't have the right to impede on another human's rights to get married. It doesn't matter what you think, you don't have the right to tell someone else what they can and can't do as long as it isn't hurting anybody. Anybody who believes gay marriage does harm is misinformed. I believe gay marriage should be legal everywhere. Soon in the US I think it will be much more accepted with the rising generations. Even accepted as commonplace. A few generations ago people would've turned heads at a bi-racial couple, but now most people don't even think twice about it. It's nice how society is progressing :)

wvereeck
07-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Well, for being in a gay relationship myself, I am biased ofcourse. So I am for gay marriage. It is however hearthwarming this community seems to be fairly open for it.

In my opinion, any nation where church and state are seperated should allow civil marriage for LGBT couples. For myself, the name marriage means nothing much on itself, but it does matter a lot when you get advantages only by marrying (less taxes, having the right to visit your loved one in hospital etc.).

funtimes
07-27-2015, 08:27 PM
FIRST GAY MARRIAGE AND THEN WHAT?? ALLOWING MARRIAGES BETWEEN... BETWEEN DONKEYS?? MINERAL ROCKS/???? JELLYFISH AND SIX OTHER JELLYFISH? WHERE DOES IT END

Snepsky
07-28-2015, 04:04 PM
I am not lgbt myself, but I support their choices. The world always has to find a group of persons to scrutinize and try to deny rights to. African Americans, women, people of other religion... The list goes on. In the US at least, sure a lot of people are Christian, but there are plenty of those who are not. Keep saying freedom of many things, yet many still choose to deny people the freedom of who they choose to be with. You can't force someone to he straight, nor can you force someone to like the same gender. Get over it, accept it. They are not trying to "convert" other people to being lgbt, they are just doing what makes them, and others like them, happy. What they do is their business, just like what everyone else does is their own business. Before you go and say what they do is "wrong," people need to consider that what they themselves do could be considered wrong in other people's eyes. Everyone has their own opinions, but should not try to tell someone else how to love their life.

/Fin.

wvereeck
07-28-2015, 04:37 PM
FIRST GAY MARRIAGE AND THEN WHAT?? ALLOWING MARRIAGES BETWEEN... BETWEEN DONKEYS?? MINERAL ROCKS/???? JELLYFISH AND SIX OTHER JELLYFISH? WHERE DOES IT END

I hope you're trolling. the animal marriage (or even adult-child marriage for heavens sake) argument has been overly used. (Gay) marriage is between two consenting adults. Donkeys nor children can consent into marriage. neither can mineral rocks... oh and jelly fish.

funtimes
07-28-2015, 05:58 PM
omg lol.. thought it was obvious but yes i am making fun of conservatives who use the polygamy/animal argument because it's such bullshit