PDA

View Full Version : Auction House

John
06-03-2013, 07:32 AM
I think the trade section could use an auction house. The auctions these days are too all over the place. Unsure end times, ect. A space with specific end times and official starting bids ect would be cool. 1 day actually being one day. People would like that I think. Thoughts?

Graff
06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
To be perfectly honest, whenever I see an "auction" here it's almost never really an auction but rather just another way of saying "make offers and we'll go from there". If a system could be put in place it would need set starting bids, transparency in the bidding (to stop made up HB's and pmd bids) and concrete start and end times. Possibly a system to discourage "snipers" by increasing the length of the auction for bids made in the final minutes. What I don't know is the effect this would have on our price floor. The $2/mil rule seems to have worked out quite well in stabilizing the "value" of np and if legit np and items start going for less it could possibly lead to a collapse, or at least partial collapse, of the market. If an actual auction system is developed I'd suggest limiting it to accounts, pets, and maybe only items worth 15-20mil or more.

Frank12
06-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Maybe have a hidden feature specifying how much the user/mod in charge of the auction house decides the item needs to go for. It would be hidden and double checked by a mod before being out in to make sure it isn't too low. Another issue I can see of charge back. Maybe make this market available to official ck and above?

I_royalty_I
06-03-2013, 12:37 PM
If we had something like that, nobody would use it.
Whenever anybody makes an "auction", like Graff said, it's just another way to try and get attention for their thread.
I don't even know if I can name anybody who sets an end date and sticks to it.
It would be an interesting concept, but idk how many people would use it, ya know?

Wenis
06-03-2013, 12:40 PM
It also could lead to large disappointments because people will mostlikely not get anything close to what they were hoping for honestly

Unless there is an option for reserves and what not but that just makes everything super complicated

.....I also think it would just end up being somewhere where people just throw up some super super low end stuff and nothing more

Nath
06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
If this isn't implemented then some restrictions and rules for auctions need to be.

I've said this for ages John, as has Mod. People can manipulate the bids, change start dates etc. That's not a way to get attention and then offers, and then bump that persons offer up!

I_royalty_I
06-03-2013, 01:58 PM
If this isn't implemented then some restrictions and rules for auctions need to be.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Im all for having offers posted on the auction thread itself.
Just like on eBay or neo, you see who has bid and who you have to beat.
No more "private" bids. For things like super high end items I think there could be an exception, cuz that stuff is a bit different. When you're talking hundreds, private bids are the norm. But for other small accounts, items, pets... All posts should be on the actual thread.

Nath
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Im all for having offers posted on the auction thread itself.
Just like on eBay or neo, you see who has bid and who you have to beat.
No more "private" bids. For things like super high end items I think there could be an exception, cuz that stuff is a bit different. When you're talking hundreds, private bids are the norm. But for other small accounts, items, pets... All posts should be on the actual thread.

I agree with that, but when people are ending it early if they don't like the price, or it's never-ending -then it's a problem.

I think any non-public bids on large items should be verified through a mod or whoever ?

I_royalty_I
06-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I agree with that, but when people are ending it early if they don't like the price, or it's never-ending -then it's a problem.

I think any non-public bids on large items should be verified through a mod or whoever ?

Yeah if you keep ending auctions early, then maybe we should have some kind of punishment for going back.
Its just not good business firstly. Secondly, tons of people have been coma planning about the "auctions", so it's obviously a problem we should address.

Nath
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah if you keep ending auctions early, then maybe we should have some kind of punishment for going back.
Its just not good business firstly. Secondly, tons of people have been coma planning about the "auctions", so it's obviously a problem we should address.

Good stuff mate, about time something was done about it imo :) I'll be happy to see stricter rules regarding auctions!

John
06-03-2013, 02:20 PM
That's what i mean. Something similar to what ebay has. no private bids. You would set a number that you couldn't take less than, but if it goes over you have to accept it. Refusal to accept or something could result in a ban from the auction section. I know if it was better regulated i would use it to sell some of my goods for sure.

Reese
06-03-2013, 10:52 PM
I stick to my auction end dates pretty closely, but my biggest issue has been people withdrawing bids, sometimes days after the actual end :P.
I think restricting the auction house to official clraik+ would limit any issues like that :).

However, I don't believe making minimum values would end very well; I auction plenty of <20m items/accounts, or mixed lots that are harder to value(say, 5 semimains with 3m and 10 shells=anywhere from $20-40 depending on how the auction plays out). If it were regulated perfectly, I can see it working well, but there'd be a lot of issues to work around :P.

John
06-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I stick to my auction end dates pretty closely, but my biggest issue has been people withdrawing bids, sometimes days after the actual end :P.
I think restricting the auction house to official clraik+ would limit any issues like that :).

However, I don't believe making minimum values would end very well; I auction plenty of <20m items/accounts, or mixed lots that are harder to value(say, 5 semimains with 3m and 10 shells=anywhere from $20-40 depending on how the auction plays out). If it were regulated perfectly, I can see it working well, but there'd be a lot of issues to work around :P.

it would basically have to be set up like ebay or neo. Set start price, incs(that you can go higher then if you want), set end time. Bids would be totally binding and if you backed out you would be banned from the section.

Savant
06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
When it comes to me personally on ebay or even neo sniping auctions. I have a very good last minute(second) bidder. Say there is a 24 hour auction... How strictly will the deadline for enforced. I know for certain will we have a problem come up saying I got my offer in 23 hour 59 min and 58 seconds and he bid 24 hour and 5 seconds. Therefore the 23 hour bidder should actually win if we have going to be following an ACTUAL auction. There ain't well I know its over now but I'll offer you more now. You can't go to an estate auction of anykind and think after they say sold then you can bid again. Its strictly enforced on time frames. You miss it you miss it. Done deal.

Thoughts?

Graff
06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
When it comes to me personally on ebay or even neo sniping auctions. I have a very good last minute(second) bidder. Say there is a 24 hour auction... How strictly will the deadline for enforced. I know for certain will we have a problem come up saying I got my offer in 23 hour 59 min and 58 seconds and he bid 24 hour and 5 seconds. Therefore the 23 hour bidder should actually win if we have going to be following an ACTUAL auction. There ain't well I know its over now but I'll offer you more now. You can't go to an estate auction of anykind and think after they say sold then you can bid again. Its strictly enforced on time frames. You miss it you miss it. Done deal.

Thoughts?

Things like this are why I would suggest extending auction times for bids placed within a set period of time before the end of the auction. That way you can help eliminate sniping.

utahclock
06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I agree there should be no more private bids, and maybe user can use a starting bid price for the lowest they will start it at, or what not if they want a reserve. me I try to stick to my auction times, and the point of an auction imo is to get rid of an item quick, so your likely not gonna get the full value of the item, unless it is something super rare like a suap or something like that, but I do agree I dislike the private bids, and the oh hey you just got out bid by 5$ pms or whatever

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

also I dislike false bidders people that bid on your items, then when you contact them they are like I changed my mind. so you get your hopes up of selling at a price, and others don't place bids because of a persons price.

purekilla
06-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Things like this are why I would suggest extending auction times for bids placed within a set period of time before the end of the auction. That way you can help eliminate sniping.

I agree, i think its the diablo series where when you bid on a item within 2 minutes of the ending time, it automatically takes the item back up to 2 minutes, so there are no snipes like that. We would need an offical count down timer for every thread created in the second, and i think we need a timer to reset to 2 minutes when a bid is made within 2 minutes, that or for a thread to lock the moment it hits 24 hours so no more bids can be placed. in any circumstance i think a separate timer would need to be installed so its clear what was bid in time and what wasnt

John
06-04-2013, 07:28 PM

i think that's part of the idea.

TreesNut
06-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Well thats not a bad idea.
People can get in their upload their goodies and Bam , We got a winner.
If used appropiately it would benefit the site.

Savant
06-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Would a MM need to be used 100% of the time even before the bidding begins to ensure winners win and dealers dont back out?

I_royalty_I
06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Or... we could just say no more "auctions".
Close your thread when you want, sell your stuff when you want.
It would be much easier and cause less drama lol

John
06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Or... we could just say no more "auctions".
Close your thread when you want, sell your stuff when you want.
It would be much easier and cause less drama lol

I think if the actual auction house thing doesn't work out, that's probably smart. But i think it would be pretty fucking cool to have a full on auction set up.

Pestix
06-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Really looking forward to this : )

I've been waiting for the forum to implement some sort of auction house scenario for some time now

What are the next steps to making this actually happen?

purekilla
06-08-2013, 09:01 PM
I think if the actual auction house thing doesn't work out, that's probably smart. But i think it would be pretty fucking cool to have a full on auction set up.

If nothing else besides being very useful for lots of players, it could probably help to bring in a lot of new faces to the site which would only help everyone as long as they are well monitored which they would be.

John
06-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Infamous Joe

j03
06-08-2013, 09:16 PM
If you want something added to the site that lets you submit items and goods like eBay or Neopets, it will take a while for me to find something or code.

If you want a section added just for auctions, I can do that.

John
06-08-2013, 09:21 PM
If you want something added to the site that lets you submit items and goods like eBay or Neopets, it will take a while for me to find something or code.

If you want a section added just for auctions, I can do that.

I think the consensus was that we like the idea of auctions, but they are not regulated sufficiently. Maybe some strict rules or something controlling end times ect in auctions would be appreciated? Maybe a mod could be appointed or assigned to the section and be responsible for enforcing the auction rules. That's kind of at your judgement because I know the forum add on or whatever for the auction feature might be a tough one to find. However, if it is actually able to be found, i think that would be the best option.

purekilla
06-10-2013, 12:28 AM
I think the consensus was that we like the idea of auctions, but they are not regulated sufficiently. Maybe some strict rules or something controlling end times ect in auctions would be appreciated? Maybe a mod could be appointed or assigned to the section and be responsible for enforcing the auction rules. That's kind of at your judgement because I know the forum add on or whatever for the auction feature might be a tough one to find. However, if it is actually able to be found, i think that would be the best option.

I think we would need atleast 2 mods to try to keep everything going smoothly, although 1 might work, 2 would reduce stress on them. If Joe can find a code or do something that would be amazing but i would even go for the idea of just posting and making sure that it is enforced and people who try to back out or cheat get the punishments they deserve.

esperanto
06-10-2013, 01:20 AM
Auctions are fun. Since I'm doing on right now :rolleyes:. I'm actually only allowing bids on the thread and have a posted end time (with time zone), starting bid, minimum increment, etc. I think it's also a lot of trouble when people are doing asshole-ish things like bidding plus 5 cents. We should just do away with cents altogether because for the most part only higher tiered things are being auctioned. No $1-$5 things are for sale.

Anyway, the point of this ramble was that I think an auction thread would be fun and if you allowed people to be sort of overseers without actually being full mods on the site, I'd be interested Infamous Joe. We could have snazzy userbars that said "Auction master" xD