PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 .

TreesNut
05-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Has anyone tried Windows 8.
Personally , it's really great . It Runs good apps . No Hassle .
The majority of the apps take no longer than 8 secs to run.

Celestial
05-17-2013, 11:57 PM
I've been using Windows 8 since Beta, the menu system takes a little getting used to, but is pretty ok, if it was more language friendly it'd be nice.

Other than that I love it.

Lilac Tentacles
05-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I have it cuz it came with my comp... It's different. I don't necessarily hate it but I'm still trying to figure it out and it's frustrating.

Attack
05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
It's a little bit faster than win7, you just have to get used to it.

TreesNut
05-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Exactly . At first I was lost as well but then time made me better at its components and user interface.
Overall Not a bad OS!

Thane
05-31-2013, 09:18 PM
I have it on my laptop. The touchscreen is nice though.

I do wish the start button would bring up the start menu. :(

Attack
05-31-2013, 09:22 PM
I still miss the start menu :l

Attainable
06-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I still miss the start menu :l

Look up Pokki. I have it installed on my Win 8. Pretty awesome.

panelle
06-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Didn't M$ release an update? 8.1 I think. I heard something about the start 'button' making a comeback, but I think they didn't put the menu back in. Maybe if people yell louder, they'll put the menu back in too. Honestly, I'll wait for the next windows before upgrading; after the Vista fiasco it seems like the best choice.

Bassi
06-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Buy a mac if you hate it that much.

Duck4Cover
06-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I was wondering something about Win8.
Does it run Neo programs okay?
Like is there any special thingy ou need to do to get them to work properly, or is it compatible without doing anything?
Im shopping around for a new desktop, and most of them Im looking at run Win8, so I was just wondering.

panelle
06-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Bassi - Sorry, but that's a bit extreme. If I didn't like a new iteration of software, I roll back or reinstall. Windows 7 is still working perfectly well and it won't be out of support until 2015 (even then, you can still keep using it until extended support ends). Saying 'buy a mac' is like telling someone who's looking for the best kind of paintbrush to paint their house to move into a house that's already the color the person wants.

Joker - I don't have Win8, so don't take my word on this, but from the reviews I've read by people who tried running some programs on the thing, it looks as if it's possible. If you switch from the weirdo metro interface, the OS is pretty much Win7 with a new coat of paint, so in theory, at least most programs should work, hopefully including clraik's :)

Jauris
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
M$

Ooh, try not to cut yourself with that edge bro.

DarkByte
06-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I am still on 7 and have not used yet the start menu thing has put me off I usually have at least 10 programs open and some times double that. I already have to turn off grouping of similar items everytime I install windows. I think I could use windows 8 though if I went around googling solutions to remove all the annoying things.

TreesNut
06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Well every operating system has pros and cons , and therefore it takes time for a person tu adapt to one .

dark_12
07-10-2013, 03:38 AM
the w8 be great if it were not so entangled XD but after you get used to but I still like the w7 :)

likerobots
07-10-2013, 04:39 AM
I purchased a new laptop on the weekend with Windows 8, and I am pretty impressed. As everyone's said - it does take time to get used to, but I prefer it now and would recommend it.

Elmo
07-10-2013, 10:20 AM
I hated it and downgraded to Windows 7. I think i'm stuck in my ways.

Owl
07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
My new laptop came with it and at first I was beyond frustrated, but I've gotten mostly used to it. Definitely was weird at first though.

wrath
07-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I use Windows 8. No problems with it ever. And fuck metro, here's how to make your Win8 experience more Win7-ish:

To get rid of starting on Metro and go straight to the desktop:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

And to get your start menu back:

Don't need really anything else to feel Windows 7ish to me. Yeah Aero is gone, but I never cared for the transparent everything anyway...

Soul
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I hate it. I hate it so much.

Literally. Horrible.

MY ONLY REGRET IS GETTING WINDOWS 8.

Did I mention that I hate it?

wrath
07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
I hate it. I hate it so much.

Literally. Horrible.

MY ONLY REGRET IS GETTING WINDOWS 8.

Did I mention that I hate it?

It's not that bad. :P

Soul
07-10-2013, 11:46 AM
It's not that bad. :P

For gaming it is.

It's horrible for gaming.
The amount of problems I have run into my goodness.

wrath
07-10-2013, 11:47 AM
For gaming it is.

It's horrible for gaming.
The amount of problems I have run into my goodness.

It's not that bad.

Lol I'm not sure yet. Haven't played WOW on mine, played League and actually saw a small FPS boost.

Toasted
07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
LOL, Soul's just exaggerating.

Windows 8 is so organized! I'm OCD as fuck and it really helps me situate my laptop to be the way I want. :)

I was nervous when I bought this new laptop because it came with it, but it's actually really nice!

Soul
07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Wrath

No like with non-MMOs. Like Steam games.
Ugh.
Windows 8 has more bugs than Vista did.
I'd rather have XP.

Toasted

I am no exaggerating, though.

It's glitchy.

It has so many faults.

Organized? Yes.

But I would take an OS that is less organized and runs well over this crap any day.

Windows 8 also has a lot of internal problems. It crashes my computer all the time.

wrath
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Soul what kind of computer do you have bro? Did it come with Win8 installed or did you upgrade?

You could always downgrade.

Toasted
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Wrath

No like with non-MMOs. Like Steam games.
Ugh.
Windows 8 has more bugs than Vista did.
I'd rather have XP.

Toasted

I am no exaggerating, though.

It's glitchy.

It has so many faults.

Organized? Yes.

But I would take an OS that is less organized and runs well over this crap any day.

Windows 8 also has a lot of internal problems. It crashes my computer all the time.

Hmmmm, I think it may be the way you're doing things-- no offense.

I play a LOT of Steam games, and I run a LOT of programs and apps on my laptop. I've never had it crash, and I've never had an issue. :/

wrath
07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Hmmmm, I think it may be the way you're doing things-- no offense.

I play a LOT of Steam games, and I run a LOT of programs and apps on my laptop. I've never had it crash, and I've never had an issue. :/

Lol that's why I asked, because I know you are a steamer.

Soul
07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Wrath

I got it just before Win8 came out. So I got it as an upgrade promotional thing for when it came out.
Wouldn't i have to pay to downgrade?

Toasted

Yes, but you also have a computer that came with Win8. Mine did not, I upgraded.

So my OS and your OS are different. I don't doubt if I bought a computer with Win8 installed already, it would be fine.

Scaletta01
07-10-2013, 12:13 PM
If you're not gaming with it, then you'll be ok having W8. If you are, then I would suggest to downgrade because W8 has been known to decrease performance in some games.

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
You seriously should consider dual booting your computer with Linux.

wrath
07-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Wrath

I got it just before Win8 came out. So I got it as an upgrade promotional thing for when it came out.
Wouldn't i have to pay to downgrade?

Toasted

Yes, but you also have a computer that came with Win8. Mine did not, I upgraded.

So my OS and your OS are different. I don't doubt if I bought a computer with Win8 installed already, it would be fine.

Pay? For Windows? Hehehehe. We can get your stuff fixed if you want. :P

Soul
07-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Pay? For Windows? Hehehehe. We can get your stuff fixed if you want. :P

Fix my stuff bro. PLEASE.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

You seriously should consider dual booting your computer with Linux.

Ew, Linux.

I tried it once.

No, twice.

Just not my thing. But the concept of it is cool.

wrath
07-10-2013, 12:26 PM

When I get off work we can begin preparations. Have a blank DVD or a blank USB ready for me. Need to have close to 4GB free space on either media.

Soul
07-10-2013, 12:27 PM
When I get off work we can begin preparations. Have a blank DVD or a blank USB ready for me. Need to have close to 4GB free space on either media.

Omg okay. I will try to find one. D:

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 12:32 PM

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Ew, Linux.

I tried it once.

No, twice.

Just not my thing. But the concept of it is cool.

Its not everyones cuppa tea. They have had some recent installs that run very well though. In fact I run Skyrim and all 3 mods on Ubuntu using the theme Unity. Command line is fun once you pick it up.

Soul
07-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Its not everyones cuppa tea. They have had some recent installs that run very well though. In fact I run Skyrim and all 3 mods on Ubuntu using the theme Unity. Command line is fun once you pick it up.

Curious if Linux would run better with Win7

wrath
07-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Then it has come a great deal futher since the last time I ran Linux. I think I was running a openSUSE distro and this was back 2007-2008 maybe? Couldn't get a damn thing to work with WINE, but I was younger back then too I suppose.

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Curious if Linux would run better with Win7

Linux can dual boot with Win7 fine. Its Win8 that has some problems with partitions.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Then it has come a great deal futher since the last time I ran Linux. I think I was running a openSUSE distro and this was back 2007-2008 maybe? Couldn't get a damn thing to work with WINE, but I was younger back then too I suppose.

aww too bad you didn't run Debian instead back then man!

wrath
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Linux can dual boot with Win7 fine. Its Win8 that has some problems with partitions.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

aww too bad you didn't run Debian instead back then man!

Terminal confuses me. I don't feel like there's any real guide that tells me: This is why you would want Linux for your deviant purposes and this is how to do what you want done on Linux. And until I find that I'm kind of meh on the subject.

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Terminal confuses me. I don't feel like there's any real guide that tells me: This is why you would want Linux for your deviant purposes and this is how to do what you want done on Linux. And until I find that I'm kind of meh on the subject.

I understand what you mean. With Ubuntu there's a lot of support online, and its easy to troubleshoot most problems, its a lot more user-friendly than other distros, that's whats made it easy to adapt to for a lot of people.

I'm excited about the Steam Box coming out, its going to run on Linux.

wrath
07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
I understand what you mean. With Ubuntu there's a lot of support online, and its easy to troubleshoot most problems, its a lot more user-friendly than other distros, that's whats made it easy to adapt to for a lot of people.

I'm excited about the Steam Box coming out, its going to run on Linux.

I've seen articles about that. Looks interesting, just want to see a price tag.

I'm sure Ubuntu is userfriendly and I've seen some guides that have had Unity in the background and it looks chill. Just want to know why Linux? Aside from stability and freeness? What is the benefit for someone like me? xD

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
I've seen articles about that. Looks interesting, just want to see a price tag.

I'm sure Ubuntu is userfriendly and I've seen some guides that have had Unity in the background and it looks chill. Just want to know why Linux? Aside from stability and freeness? What is the benefit for someone like me? xD

personally I got tired of licking Steve Jobs deceased butthole and riding Bill Gates dick. It really depends on how much you want to customize what you do, how you can make it fit your needs. If an out of the box system meets your needs, that's fine. Its just nice to know there are ways to do the exact same thing while supporting open source software.

wrath
07-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Spoof04 I've never paid for any software since Win XP which I chipped in $20 for when it first came out among my friends to get one CD we shared. So I don't have much CEO hate, but the open source does appeal to me, I am a droid user after all. What distro would currently recommend? Ubuntu or Debian?

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
oh I love Android! We recently cyanogen-modded our Nexux 7 and it is amazing on battery life now!

I would def. recommend Ubuntu, just because its smooth sailing most of the time. The online forums and things are really helpful. If you decide to try it, you can boot it from a pen drive and see if you like it.

wrath
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
oh I love Android! We recently cyanogen-modded our Nexux 7 and it is amazing on battery life now!

I would def. recommend Ubuntu, just because its smooth sailing most of the time. The online forums and things are really helpful. If you decide to try it, you can boot it from a pen drive and see if you like it.

I need to invest in an external HDD for my laptop. I wish I could just convert my desktop into a HDD at this point.

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 01:33 PM
I need to invest in an external HDD for my laptop. I wish I could just convert my desktop into a HDD at this point.

i wish i had a terabyte HDD, they're really handy.

wrath
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
i wish i had a terabyte HDD, they're really handy.

It's really odd. I've never had space issues until this year and I've got a 450GB hard drive in my laptop anyway, but I've had to delete a lot of things to make room.

Spoof04
07-10-2013, 02:46 PM
It's really odd. I've never had space issues until this year and I've got a 450GB hard drive in my laptop anyway, but I've had to delete a lot of things to make room.

i went a little crazy with acquiring anime and games this year, the crunch is definitely felt :suspicion:

wrath
07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
i went a little crazy with acquiring anime and games this year, the crunch is definitely felt :suspicion:

Mine was the Sims 3 with all expansions/stuff packs/store content + League of Legends + World of Warcraft + Stargate SG1 (All seasons) + Guild Wars 2 + Rift

My computer was like, "Hey dumbshit, how about I try packing all this stuff up YOUR ass and see how you like it."

So I had a deletion day. It was fun.
Not really.

HenriP
07-13-2013, 10:22 PM
I'd prefer Win7

Scaletta01
07-13-2013, 10:25 PM
When I first seen the layout of W8, I went:

Meddek
07-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Ill stick to window's 7 thanks

Raj
07-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Ill stick to window's 7 thanks

Same thing here, windows 8 would be sexy on a tablet or smth but it's not suited for computers

Meddek
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Same thing here, windows 8 would be sexy on a tablet or smth but it's not suited for computers
Yeah that's Exactly what I was thinking it looks great on anything with a touch screen but doesn't seem viable for gamers or anyone with a typical desktop.

Raj
07-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah that's Exactly what I was thinking it looks great on anything with a touch screen but doesn't seem viable for gamers or anyone with a typical desktop.

I think the only good thing about it is that there's a desktop option, or else it'd be in the running for shittiest OS ever

Meddek
07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
I think the only good thing about it is that there's a desktop option, or else it'd be in the running for shittiest OS ever

Just seems like even with that its a new OS so its going to be buggy, laggy, and probably a headache til they work out all of the kinks with updates and such. Windows 7 has had plenty of time and I think honestly its the closest to a perfect OS that windows has put out. I've yet to have a single issue with it.

Dracula
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
I'll probably stick with windows 7 for another 5 years, like how some companies still have Windows 2003 because they never got around to changing it

Ven
08-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm indifferent to it, it's kinda hard to get used to the interface. I still prefer Win7.

Lotus
08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I just purchased a Windows Surface RT, I'm pretty sure W8 is on it, although I'm pretty oblivious to operating systems lol.
I like it, but still getting used to it.

danielsan
08-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I have had it since the beta and I think it is pretty good. I don't really use the start screen, but the desktop seems quicker

Ghostiee
08-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I haven't even tried it but I think it looks really stupid and it's not win7 so I hate it :<

DarkByte
08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
-cough-

grrrawr
08-22-2013, 11:22 AM
I usually have at least 10 programs open and some times double that.

by sometimes i hope you mean like 90% of the time :rolleyes:

DarkByte
08-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Don't hate!

Accelerator
09-29-2013, 10:46 AM
I absolutely hate the Metro/Modern UI so... Windows 8 is a no-no for me.

Demetri
09-29-2013, 11:22 AM
iOS FTW!!

ewmeep
10-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Isn't windows 8 the new vista? ;d