PDA

View Full Version : Alzheimer's Disease {+rep}

Cath
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi guys!

I'm actually preparing a 15 minutes final speech about Alzheimer's Disease and any help and extra info would be loved.
I have most of my global information, but if there's any documentation you have used in the past for a similar project, it would be amazing.

I'll of course +rep anyone who can help. :)

Thank you!

Toasted
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Alzheimer’s as a cause of death increased 68 percent from 2000 to 2010.. Alzheimer’s now is the sixth-leading cause of death in the U.S. D:

Luv
04-28-2013, 04:59 PM
The number of cases increases because of the evolution of the medicine (the medicine improves -> We live longer -> We have more risk to get a neuron disease/problem).
It has also been proved that when you are 65, you get 1% risk of having the disease, and then it keep increasing every 5 years -> 70 years old : 2%, 75 years old : 4%, 80 years old : 6%, etc...

Cath
04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks a lot guys :)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Toasted again.

I_royalty_I
04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm just creeping, but those are some pretty interesting facts.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]
I thought Alzheimer's just caused loss of memory, I didn't know it could lead to death.

Graff
04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
My grandmother died a couple years back from Alzheimers, I'm sure you already know the basics but just from first hand experience: severe memory loss in both short and long term, not willing to accept that they have Alzeimers/any memory problems, confusion, and sometimes getting a little frustrated. She was a very nice and calm person but I've heard that it's not uncommon to have hostile situations with Alzeimers patients. I_royalty_I memory loss is a symptom of a deteriorating brain... eventually the brain decay causes death.

aznboy1997
04-28-2013, 05:41 PM
It is estimated that 5.2 million Americans (of all ages) have Alzheimer's disease as of 2013. It is estimated that 5 million people age 65 and older and 200,000 people younger than 65 have Alzheimer's.

There are no survivors with Alzheimer's. If you do not die from Alzheimer's disease, you die with it. One in every three seniors dies with Alzheimer's or any related disease.

These are just some of the chilling facts of Alzheimer's. Hope it helps!!!

Cath
04-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks a lot guys <3 This is much appreciated +repped

Mod
04-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Do you want statistics and personal experiences (the stuff you sell to the public);
the stuff that's already been said,

or pathologic/genetics + symptoms?

Entropia
04-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Here are two research articles that I've read before and might help you:

Amyloid precursor protein (APP) physiological and pathophysiological functions:
Explanation of APP from genetic and biochemistry point of view and it's possible hereditary.

Characterization of a Drosophila Alzheimer's disease model: pharmacological rescue of cognitive defects.
Using fruit flies as model to map out and study AD therapeutic interventions.

Cath
04-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Do you want statistics and personal experiences (the stuff you sell to the public);
the stuff that's already been said,

or pathologic/genetics + symptoms?

Honestly, anything will help. I already have most symptoms, but pathologic/genetics would definitly help. <3

Mod
04-28-2013, 09:20 PM
A brief comparison between AD and normal aging:

AD:

-Forget entire experiences (vs. parts of one)
-Rarely remembers later
-Can't follow spoken or written directions over time
-Notes become useless over time as reminders
-Eventually dependent on others in life

(vice-versa for regular aging)

---

-E4 allele of ApoE-4 protein greatly increases risk of AD, especially being homozygous for it.
(but not 100%, full effects still unknown - it's just a noted correlation)

-Physiologically, known to be caused by buildup of beta-amyloid protein in extracelluar space of the cortex and hippocampus.
(since the hippocampus is critical for memory and behaviour; particularly working memory, there you go).
(hippocampal overactivity is associated with schizophrenia, but that's another story, :P )

---

No cure, treatment only slows progression:

-Cholinesterase inhibitors slightly increase cognition, by slowing the breakdown of acetylcholine
-Memantine, glutamate regulator

-Exercise mildly helps; increases neuron firing temporarily and NT release associated with the activity.
It's like endorphin release, though I don't really know the specifics of exercise therapy vs. AD, or if endorphins are even involved here, so maybe/maybe not put it down.

And that is all I remember for now.
SCHOOL'S OUT, BITCHES!

Cath
04-28-2013, 09:44 PM
A brief comparison between AD and normal aging:

AD:

-Forget entire experiences (vs. parts of one)
-Rarely remembers later
-Can't follow spoken or written directions over time
-Notes become useless over time as reminders
-Eventually dependent on others in life

(vice-versa for regular aging)

---

-E4 allele of ApoE-4 protein greatly increases risk of AD, especially being homozygous for it.
(but not 100%, full effects still unknown - it's just a noted correlation)

-Physiologically, known to be caused by buildup of beta-amyloid protein in extracelluar space of the cortex and hippocampus.
(since the hippocampus is critical for memory and behaviour; particularly working memory, there you go).
(hippocampal overactivity is associated with schizophrenia, but that's another story, :P )

---

No cure, treatment only slows progression:

-Cholinesterase inhibitors slightly increase cognition, by slowing the breakdown of acetylcholine
-Memantine, glutamate regulator

-Exercise mildly helps; increases neuron firing temporarily and NT release associated with the activity.
It's like endorphin release, though I don't really know the specifics of exercise therapy vs. AD, or if endorphins are even involved here, so maybe/maybe not put it down.

And that is all I remember for now.
SCHOOL'S OUT, BITCHES!

This will help me a bunch!
Thank you, as always. <3

I really can't wait to be done with that speech

Daenery
04-28-2013, 11:16 PM
My best friends' grandmother is suffering from Alzheimer's right now. My friend and I grew up together so her gran seems to remember me at times, but other times she'll look at me as if I'm a total stranger. She'll ask me how I'm doing in HS (when I'm in college already) and then within five minutes she'll ask me the exact same thing again, sometimes three to five times in a row. I don't show it out of consideration but it definitely saddens me when I remember how lively and active she was just a few years ago. I can see how much it stresses out my friends' mom, too.

I doubt I can add any facts that the others haven't already, but I just felt like sharing. Good luck with your presentation! Speeches are always so nerve-wracking, but I'm sure you'll do amazingly. :$

simmie
04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
PM'ed you everything I know. |3

Pestix
04-29-2013, 12:43 PM
My best friends grandmother had this, she died from it.. very very sad disease to watch someone you love suffer from

Its very similar to huntingtons disease which my ex boyfriends dad suffered from except that disease was like having alzeimers as well as parkinsons

Batgirl
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm just creeping, but those are some pretty interesting facts.
I thought Alzheimer's just caused loss of memory, I didn't know it could lead to death.

Watch the Notebook, then you'll see.

/yay chick flick

Cath
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks a lot guys for helping me with infos & sharing what has happened around you.
This definitely will help me a bunch and I really appreciate your help everyone <3

& By the way, I can't give rep until tomorrow, so sorry for the ones I haven't repped already!
Thanks again :$