PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Laptop. Help Please +rep

Kenshin
03-31-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm looking for a new laptop, chromebook w/e to buy.

Needs:

Runs Diablo 3/World of Warcraft very well
Streams videos effectively
Run virtual pet sites on good graphics
Plenty of space

I'd like to keep my budget under $450.00 with the protection plan that normally ranges from $80.00-$100.00

I saw a Nice Asus with 620GB HDD and 6GB Memory with 2 year plan for $549.00 but that's a little too much.

Anyone got any ideas?

Batgirl
03-31-2013, 09:24 PM
With that budget, it might be hard to find what you want :/

My laptop cost me ~$1,000 after all the microsoft office and security shit. and I'm not even sure it could run wow or diablo well, since I never tired it.

IMO it'll be hard to find the perfect laptop with a smaller budget :/

Although I'm sure someone here could point you in a good direction.

I_royalty_I
03-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah, to stay in your budget, you will have to give up a little bit.
I just bought a new laptop, it ended up being about $900, and I didn't bother with the protection plan.
I got a Dell, and they come with a pretty decent plan without anything extra.
I've got an ultrabook, and I love it right now. It's got an i7 processor, 1TB, and 8gb; very fast imo.

But for under $450, you are looking at i3 processors, maybe a shitty i5 processor.
i5 processors are still decent, but I would recommend an i7 just because in a year or so, there will probably be something else new :P

Running a pet site and streaming video shouldn't be too difficult for any new system.
And plenty of space.. unless you plan on doing a lot of graphics work or something that requires a ton of room, you shouldn't have a problem.
And if you do run out of room, you can buy 1TB of extra external memory for like $75.

But if you want a gaming system, that might be a little tricky if you want the best of the best :P

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Also, I would recommend you stay away from Asus for right now.
Give them a few years and maybe they will have all their stuff in line.
But they are still relatively new to putting together complete systems.

Mod
03-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Agree with what's been said already; you can't get it all with your current budget of $450.

If anything, your first priority with that budget is to get a laptop with dedicated graphics (this or last generation, no older), above all else.
That's the biggest factor in video and gaming among computer hardware.

Doesn't matter if you have an i7 extreme, 16 gigs of ram or anything; if it's integrated graphics or a very outdated card, your videos and games are going to run like shit.
Even if it's an entry-level video card, as long as it's modern, will do okay.

Don't expect to be able to run on high settings, you'll be looking at stable running under mid to low settings on games.

(an i3 with an entry-level current gen vid card will be better than an i7 on integrated, if you even find an i7 laptop alone, for instance)

And like above, storage isn't a high priority, you can always install a higher capacity HD later, or hook up an external for videos and such. But you'll be hard pressed to be able to upgrade a video card, other than buying another laptop.

Toasted
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Actually Kenshin dear, you can.

I'm getting THIS ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) laptop in 2 days. :3 Finally had enough to get it.

I needed something to play L4D2, Star Craft HoTS, and Worms Revolution....as well as keyquest. xD