PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain URLs? [rep awarded]

Dracula
01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
I am just curious about how on photo upload sites, when you view the direct link to your image, the first part (before the .photobucket.com or .tinypic.com) is a i## rather than [Only registered and activated users can see links] Is it connected at all to your IP address?
For example:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Can someone explain what this means in simple terms? Thanks!

wrath
01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
The "i" number is the server/subdomain that your photo is stored on. It has nothing to do with your IP address and is used to route the link to the right server. No different than 'games' in music.google.com. If you go to google.com it's a different site than music.google.com. That is all.

Dracula
01-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Ah gotcha. Thank you

DarkByte
01-25-2013, 07:13 PM
What you should be more worried about is that most camera phones (ios ect) will add the coordinates of the grps location a photo was taken and stick it in the images exif header (a kind of junk part of the file used for storing information such as the camera that was used to take a photo). Make sure you disable this option before uploading any images to the web. There are a few tools out already that can reverse the location inside a photo and give u a google map location for the photo...