PDA

View Full Version : Totally restoring a "bricked" laptop

Shawn
12-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I have a very old laptop that didnt use to work, it had no OS too due to me screwing around way back then.

I created a bootable CD with Windows XP on it and then managed to give my "bricked" laptop an operating system

So now it has an OS, great..
BUT now my laptop can't seem to turn it's wireless and bluetooth capabilities.
So I wonder if anyone could help me with this.

I'm thinking it has something to do with installing devices.
Let's just assume I don't have the documents/CD stuff that came with the laptop, since it's so old.

So if anyone could help me/give me some useful links it'll be good :)
It's a HP laptop
Pavilion dv 1000

I want this laptop to run .exe programs that my Mac can't

DarkByte
12-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Sounds like you do not have a wireless driver to me:

Download Sandra:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Run it and hit "buses and devices".

Under the class and interface options go through them all until you find your wireless card heres mine:
In this case I would google "Dell Dw1501 wireless driver"

Now just download the driver and install it , also make sure theres not a wireless switch on your laptop thats turned off , sometimes this will be a blue wireless symbol on one of your F-Keys , if this is the case . hold the blue Fn key on your laptop and press the button.

Shawn
12-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I have a wireless switch, it's used to toggle my wifi and I have a bluetooth one too.
But right now it can't toggle my wifi as somehow the wifi driver is not detected

DarkByte
12-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Then the driver is not installed follow the above , sandra detects what wireless card u have without drivers :)

Shawn
12-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Ok thanks :) I'll see how this goes.

I have to run the sandra installation exe on my parrallels (that I just installed LOL)

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Oh no, Sandra:
Failed to connect to target computer.
SiSoftware Sandra server not started, Check SiSoftware Sandra Installation raredaredevil

DarkByte
12-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Do you have internet access right now if so you could try the hp driver downloader:

This will install drivers automatically

TinCan
03-05-2013, 11:48 PM
If you have an ethernet cable, you can plug it in. Most likely your ethernet port is already supported through the small amount of drivers built into xp.

Worst case scenario, just use a wireless usb adapter to download your drivers.

Just my two cents.

wrath
03-06-2013, 12:04 AM

Kite
03-06-2013, 12:21 AM
If you have an ethernet cable, you can plug it in. Most likely your ethernet port is already supported through the small amount of drivers built into xp.

Worst case scenario, just use a wireless usb adapter to download your drivers.

Just my two cents.

^This, also if you just need it to run exe that your mac can't I doubt you'd be taking it around with you anywhere so having it wired wouldn't be that big of a deal imo

Nevermind just saw the date of the original post.. I get that picture now :o