PDA

View Full Version : Running workout

Killala
10-21-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm trying to improve my running for 2.4km for some physical test..I'm aiming to hit the timing of 9.40 mins but currently my timing now is only 11.37mins..So was wondering if you guys have any advice

Kenji
10-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Keep training and eventually you will reach your goal!

runbikesurf
10-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Run more

yes it really is this simple

I_royalty_I
10-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I would recommend mixing in distance workouts and sprint workouts.
You should push for at least a minimum of 5k for your distance workouts, up to 10k would be ok as well if you are up for it.
If you want to run 2.4k, then you should be able to push all the way through. You don't want to train for 2.4k, and then get tired right after you are done, you want to train through it.

You should also do sprinting workouts, which will probably have a pretty decent combined distance, but longer/more breaks.
I don't know how your tracks are laid out there, but from google it looks like one lap here is .4km. So do .4, then .8, then 1.6, then back down to .8, then back down to .4
You should sprint all of them, or at least be running at a pretty decent pace. Take long enough breaks in between where you are not winded at all and all ready again.

Just keep mixing it up and I'm sure you will get down to your goal in no time!

kira
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Yeah I was going to say to throw some sprint workouts in there as well! Also you might want to try running in places that aren't flat. I know that when I was trying to train for this 5k thing for my school, I trained in an area with a ton of hills. Not sure if it was because of that, but I finished within the first 10 people done with the race ^^

runbikesurf
10-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Depending on this persons level of fitness these "sprint" workouts are the fastest way to injury.

Hills are good they are speedwork in disguise.

I_royalty_I
10-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Depending on this persons level of fitness these "sprint" workouts are the fastest way to injury.

Hills are good they are speedwork in disguise.

Well as long as they stretch properly, they /should/ be fine.
If they don't stretch properly, yeah they could definitely hurt themselves!

runbikesurf
10-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Well as long as they stretch properly, they /should/ be fine.
If they don't stretch properly, yeah they could definitely hurt themselves!

Somewhat debateable :P

Dynamic stretches + a proper warmup will be better but the speedwork can still injure them. From my experiences people I know have been injured from jumping into speedwork to soon.

Static Stretches are just a complete waste to do before running.

I_royalty_I
10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Somewhat debateable :P

Dynamic stretches + a proper warmup will be better but the speedwork can still injure them. From my experiences people I know have been injured from jumping into speedwork to soon.

Static Stretches are just a complete waste to do before running.

^I agree with that for sure. Dynamic is what really helps.

I guess my opinion is a little skewed. I'm used to running with people who I ran cross country and indoor/outdoor track with.

runbikesurf
10-21-2012, 05:27 PM
^I agree with that for sure. Dynamic is what really helps.

I guess my opinion is a little skewed. I'm used to running with people who I ran cross country and indoor/outdoor track with.

Thats who I run with and those are the people i'm used to being around it's hard to not give certain advice to newer/non XC runners.

She really needs to run more before trying to run faster. That's what the "Base" phase of cross country was for me was upping the mileage before working into the speedwork.

I_royalty_I
10-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah I would agree that upping the mileage is a more important thing to do before you go to the speed workouts.
That depends how much time they have until they want to reach their goal though!

Killala
10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
I would recommend mixing in distance workouts and sprint workouts.
You should push for at least a minimum of 5k for your distance workouts, up to 10k would be ok as well if you are up for it.
If you want to run 2.4k, then you should be able to push all the way through. You don't want to train for 2.4k, and then get tired right after you are done, you want to train through it.

You should also do sprinting workouts, which will probably have a pretty decent combined distance, but longer/more breaks.
I don't know how your tracks are laid out there, but from google it looks like one lap here is .4km. So do .4, then .8, then 1.6, then back down to .8, then back down to .4
You should sprint all of them, or at least be running at a pretty decent pace. Take long enough breaks in between where you are not winded at all and all ready again.

Just keep mixing it up and I'm sure you will get down to your goal in no time!

How do i gauge distance cus i'm most of the time not running tracks

runbikesurf
10-26-2012, 08:40 PM
How do i gauge distance cus i'm most of the time not running tracks

mapmyrun.com

tom hardy
11-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Don't start with the fast run as much as you can,be sure start with small run and then increase your speed step by step.You should sprint all of them, or at least be running at a pretty decent pace. Take long enough breaks in between where you are not winded at all and all ready again.Des Moines Mixed Martial Arts ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

runbikesurf
11-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Don't start with the fast run as much as you can,be sure start with small run and then increase your speed step by step.You should sprint all of them, or at least be running at a pretty decent pace. Take long enough breaks in between where you are not winded at all and all ready again.

I applaud your amazing advice that would get her injured in less than a month.

Snow
11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I've been training for 10km the past few weeks and i'm taking it very easy. Every workout, I slightly increase my speed and the distance. I find it important to keep track of heartbeat per minute, this is a good guideline as to how long you'll be able to keep up at a certain speed and to how constructive your workout is being. It kind of depends on your age but there are many statistics on that and you might want to check those out if you're looking to improve your fysical condition and endurance. :)

OFWGKTA
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Work on endurance in the beginning. Once you're comfortable with that, progress towards high intensity running.

BlackblexHS
03-16-2013, 09:33 AM
She really needs to run more before trying to run faster. That's what the "Base" phase of cross country was for me was upping the mileage before working into the speedwork.

Clydes
12-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Hi Killala,
To hit the timing of 9.40, use a running program, set goals and always listen to your body. Combine exercise with proper diet chart, listen to your body and keep a running log to measure your progress.
Toplevelfit boot camp ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Niel
02-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Well i guess that something which works more than any other other thing and yeah for a fact it works on the overall body other exercises are for specific body parts.It should be done in the right way.

physical therapy business ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

santy25105
06-20-2014, 06:49 AM
running workout is my favorite i do it that exercise every day its keep me fit and strong.