PDA

View Full Version : Full Metal Alchemist, or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

gorthalon
01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Which one is your favorite? Why do you like that one over the other one?

j03
01-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I've only seen FMA just from a few shows it really grabbed my interest. I want to watch all of the episodes someday.

Clefairy
01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I haven't seen much of Brotherhood but I prefer the older FMA, I saw all the episodes when they aired c':

Adam
01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Im watching Brotherhood in class in the Anime Club and it's actually based on the book. I haven't reached the end but someone says that there's a twist or something...

gorthalon
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
There is quite a twist indeed, Brotherhood goes deeper into the plot than the original.

Scan
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I've never read the brotherhood, but seeing the comments, I thought the first one was already pretty confusing, but then again, that was when I was like 13

gorthalon
01-09-2012, 07:12 PM
It is a bit confusing at times, but that also adds to the excitement and mystery.

contra
01-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Brotherhood for sure. It's WAYYY better. Just watch it and you'll see why.

For those of you who are debating on which one to watch (original or brotherhood), just watch brotherhood. It's more exciting and better than the original in so many ways.

Lauren
01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
FMA is awesome!

I watched the series first, then read the manga (only manga I've ever read), then watched Brotherhood. I honestly like them about the same, the original did a good job of adding twists, and honestly the emotion in the original is a lot better. More happens in Brotherhood in my opinion but that's how the author intended it to be. I suggest watching both if you're a fan, they don't disappoint and it's hard to guess what will happen next on either!

gorthalon
01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
It's especially fun to be surprised at changes in Brotherhood after watching the original. So the other day I was in the school's library's manga section, and I noticed two different FMA manga series. Are there two manga series? Or is it just the multi-books-in-one thing?

oriana
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM
is here where we can discuss the mystery pic?

gorthalon
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
No, this is where we discuss the anime Full Metal Alchemist.

oriana
01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
ok thanks

Zane
01-14-2012, 01:19 AM
I prefer Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood way more but I enjoyed both really. They could have not have rush the beginning part of Brotherhood though so that new viewers would understand it better and more indepth though. I still like to rewatch the episodes.

Lauren
01-14-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure there's just one manga... o.O I've never seen another one + generally only one is written... It has a ton of chapters though. The first one went on a different path because the manga wasn't finished but the anime had to keep releasing weekly episodes, I'm not sure how two would fit into that. XD

Zane I agree, I think they did the first like 1/4 of the first anime better because it was slower and like I said previously showed more emotion. They're veeerrrryyy similar until like, what, halfway? I don't remember. D:

Shichibukai
01-14-2012, 03:14 AM
I think I would prefer brotherhood over FMA, I think it was just better :P

Joelalala
01-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Full Metal Alchemist : Brotherhood

If your wondering why , you probably have not watched it yet =B
I mean , its more intense on the story line . OMG , i dont know how to say it . Just go and watch it and you'll know why ^^

holyzac
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I prefer Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

FMA Brotherhood has a stronger plot compared to FMA as FMA progression seems to be very badly linked with an unsatisfying ending whereas FMA Brotherhood had many different twists which made it very interesting, not to mention the improvement in humor..

Sqwahba
01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Brotherhood, ftw. There's just so much more in it!
And there's actually other countries that they get more indepth with. :O Crazy sheet, man.
Not a fan of the ending of FMA. :/

Kura45
03-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Full Metal Alchemist.

Clefairy
05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
I have only watched FMA complete, and a few chapters of brotherhood so I'll see :)

Tom
05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
I only watched FMA:B, but maaaan that was good (ending was a little lame but overall an awesome anime)

Phasma
05-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Watched them both, and despite the Dubs for FMA: B (they're terrible imo) it's the better series of the two and actually follows the manga.

shadow772
06-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I have watched both FMA and the old one is more memorable than the new one. Of coarse, I prefer the old FMA than FMA Brotherhood because the old feel more like it was made for older teen audience.

Trinket
06-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I haven't finished brotherhood yet, but I much prefer the original anime. If I had watched brotherhood before the original anime, I'd have been so confused D:

Plus the hair lineart on Ed annoys me in brotherhood xD

Rayzorlux
06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
FMA old , i dont know much about brotherhood x.x

PhoeniXFir
06-30-2012, 09:57 AM
fma brotherhood follows the manga ,

Kahpow
12-31-2012, 04:39 AM
I've watched FMA (2003), and I'm still currently watching Brotherhood, but I honestly can't decide atm. They're both really good, and I really did like Wrath from the 2003 one, so I can't decide hm. The one thing that bothered me a lot was how they changed Rose's colouring, that was really pointless? And I got used to what she looked like before so it's like um, what.

sinnerog
01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I watched both over the Summer, and I must say, it is my all time FAVORITE anime. My suggestion, I watched the regular first, and watched Brotherhood second. I liked the regular better.

Kite
01-07-2013, 07:28 AM
I think they're both worth watching if you really enjoy the series.. just Brotherhood follows the manga more closely so there's a lot added story-wise and some of the characters are just way different than in the original anime series, I've yet to finish Brotherhood myself but it's one that I plan on coming back to before long! :3

ratero
01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
prefer Full Metal Alchemist

txtsd
02-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Watch Brotherhood because it follows the manga storyline and is just badass! Then watch a few episodes of the first anime because they go a little deeper into Ed and Al's history. Be prepared to watch shitty 480p quality episodes though.

wrath
02-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Overall, I'd go with Brotherhood, but as probably the biggest fan of Brig. General Hughes (because that's me to a T), I would have to say that I feel like FMA gave him way more face-time and expressed his personality better than Brotherhood. But that's about the only reason I would give FMA more credit for. :D

moonrash
02-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Oh god one of my favorite series (FMA in general)... I've got like nerd wallscrolls in my room of the show lol....

I'm not positive I can pick. After I watched Brotherhood, I was just in love.

I LOVED the original series, then Brotherhood came out and I was reluctant to watch it, it looked weird from the get-go. But after I watched it, it just made me love the show in it's entirety SO much more. I never read all of the manga, I have volumes 1-8 or something and I haven't even read much of that lol. So I never had an issue with it not following the manga.

Gahhhhhhh just thinking about it makes me want to watch it again. Don't do this to me, clraik........

(Side note: My boyfriend says he doesn't like FMA, I think he's a bullshitter. He likes stuff like Desert Punk but doesn't appreciate FMA!?!?!? IT'S THE BEST ANIME!!!!!! hjdfhsdk)

Ren
02-18-2013, 03:02 PM
watching brotherhood got me confused on the main storyline of FMA =3=

funnybell
03-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Brotherhood ALL THE WAY. Seriously
Brotherhood is the ACTUAL plotline because it actually follows the manga, and makes a lot more sense imo.

LilSlytherinBabe
05-09-2013, 01:07 PM
I have mixed feelings on it. On the one hand I like Brotherhood so much more because it is true to the manga but there are somethings in the original that makes more sense to me. I think I also like brotherhood because it seems to have more comic relief throughout than the original but that could be that I haven't watched the original in a while. I don't really know that I can pick. (I do like that in Brotherhood it is a little easier to kill Homunculi)

Pusheen
05-10-2013, 06:28 PM
HARD QUESTION!

I'm a FMA huge fan, I saw both several times, I cryied with both, I loved both.. oh, it's so hard.
I must say that on Brotherhood I missed some characters they made for the normal version... but how could I choose the normal anime when Brotherhood is based almost in a 100% on the manga and doesn't make up things like the first one! A....ahh....

I would say BROTHERHOOD!

Fogged
06-16-2013, 02:32 PM
FMA : Brotherhood is better

Broken
06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
I randomly purchased the first brotherhood collection 1 on special- without seeing the show, I enjoyed it, I did plan on buying collection 2 but it was $64 at the time so i just put it on my back pile of internet shows, still haven't gotten around to it yet.

supreme_force
07-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood :D

or both lol

Meddek
07-30-2013, 01:16 PM
FMA Brotherhood is actually the way the story was suppose to go as written by the original writer. The writer of FMA was actually approached and her series was purchased and aired before she finished writing it. The unfinished series was aired as FMA but after she finished it was reaired as FMA Brotherhood. I liked the FMA series but you can tell it was loaded down with changes to make the series more "appealing". I actually prefer Brotherhood because you get to know more about the characters all of the dept wasn't cut out for marketing reasons.

Sqwahba
07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I adore how Brotherhood is actually what the writer had planned, and goes more into detail with everything.
Not to mention that there are more areas than essentially just central...

Cath
07-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I watched both and Brotherhood was way better.

crimsoneyes
10-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Its Brotherhood ftw!

Reasons because:
1 - Based on the original manga(comic) and presents more on the development of the characters. It has a better ending too, than the original one.

2 - FMA Brotherhood has better fight scenes than the original FMA. Since Brotherhood introduces more characters, the nature of their fight scenes actually vary from dramatic, serious, to downright funny. Original FMA on the other hand has just pure seriousness in their fight scenes, which is actually just a few. Cool characters like Roy Mustang never had a good fight scene in the original FMA.
On Brotherhood, you get to see the awesome sniping skill of Lt. Hawkeye and Mustang's skills is really put to good use.

Soul
10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Brotherhood.

FMA is my all time favorite anime/manga series. I love both of the animes, but Brotherhood wins.

The original series was a little sloppy, and the storyline was jaded. They basically noticed how popular the manga was when it was being released, that they hurried to get an anime out, too. And so it was rushed, and it didn't match up with the manga. However, that doesn't make it awful. Because it was still good!

However, Brotherhood was better. A lot of time was put into it, and it wasn't rushed. Due to the high demand of a version of FMA being released based off of the manga, it gained much more popularity. Not only that, but they kept the same voice actors, for the most part, and they stayed true to the manga exceptionally well. Most animes based off of a manga tend to have a lot of detail cut out, and it can be a little choppy, but Brotherhood is very smooth and very detailed. There's very few parts of the manga story that was left out in Brotherhood.

I also will agree with crimsoneyes. The fight scenes in the original compared to Brotherhood are very different. The original's were not bad, but Brotherhood's were phenomenal. The utilization of the different characters and their skills were used to their utmost potential in Brotherhood. Things like that are important and matter to viewers. Especially big fans like myself. :)

Tato
04-07-2014, 07:19 PM
As a person whose seen both, I'd say it really depends on you- they're both really great though. If you plan on only watching one, I'd definitely say watch Brotherhood, though. Both the original and Brotherhood start out pretty similarly, so keep that in mind if you plan on watching both.

gilly777
06-05-2016, 07:11 PM
I never saw the first serie but I loved Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I've been told the first serie doesn't follow the manga. Is it good ?

Raichuu
07-08-2016, 05:13 PM
I liked Brotherhood MUCH better. The plot was more thorough and I preferred the artists style.

sorahloveless
05-08-2017, 07:28 AM
I enjoy both. Both have a different ending suiting each story. But FMA Brotherhood is just.. the best anime on earth. It's so good!
I wish I could rewatch the episodes like it was the first time. I love this anime so much. <3