PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a new laptop :)?

Reese
07-28-2012, 04:13 AM
I use my desktop for most things, but I would like a laptop for portability ^_^. I would use it for gaming(WoW), web browsing, and light word processing. I have an older Macbook now but I can't say I care too much for it :rolleyes:. My budget would be anywhere from $300-1000 depending on the laptop :).
Used laptops would be fine as well ^_^. Will +rep for good advice (:.

John
07-28-2012, 05:06 AM
MACBOOK PRO

Reese
07-28-2012, 05:09 AM
MACBOOK PRO
Too rich for my blood :P. $1,800 :rolleyes:

Ryan~
07-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Well, if you can find an extra $400, get an ASUS Gaming laptop :P $1400.

Reese
07-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Ryan~
That'd be overkill for what I need :P
I could go over $1000 but I don't think I'll need to :)

Ryan~
07-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Get some sort of Asus. lol.

goodieboy
07-28-2012, 06:48 AM
My lenovo is pretty good. Light and good looking too :D

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

goodieboy
07-28-2012, 06:49 AM
It's graphics card seems v.good to play wow

Syccch
07-28-2012, 08:55 AM
My lenovo is pretty good. Light and good looking too :D

I have a Lenovo too, they're much sturdier and better looking than my old laptop (Toshiba) I play WoW often on my laptop which has lesser specs than goodieboy 's laptop. I play on max detail too with 80 fps.

Hug
07-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Anything but HPs. God, they're awful. D;

paox3
07-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I was gonna say Razer Switchblade but then I saw your budget :/

Any chance you can triple your budget? XD

Anyways, you could get any Dell or Asus laptop. Seems pretty good.

lilewing23
07-28-2012, 12:32 PM

i've bought three macs here, always works like a charm. 2 of 3 have came with more hard drive space and more ram than stated.

Zachafer
07-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Don't buy anything Mac or Apple. It's stupid how much they charge you for a shitty product

John Ryan~

Kenshin
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
ASUS X53E-RS52 15.6"

$599.99 - New
I'm sure you could find a little bit cheaper as well.

Laptop is great for WoW and basic needs

Product Features:

Powered by 2.6GHz 2nd generation Intel Core i5-2450M processor
Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 automatically speeds up processor when you need more speed
15.6" HD display with 1366 x 768 resolution for a crystal-clear view
750GB, 5,400rpm hard drive stores all your important files
6GB DDR3 memory is expandable to 8GB for even faster performance
DL DVD+/-RW/CD-RW reads and writes a variety of formats
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi lets you connect to a wireless network at home or at a hotspot
On-board 10/100/1000 Mbps fast Ethernet controller for easy wired networking
2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 USB 3.0 port for connecting a wide range of peripherals
Intel GMA HD graphics enhance the multimedia experience
5-in-1 memory card reader is compatible with SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO and SDHC
Built-in stereo speakers for an immersive listening experience
Intel HM65 chipset ensures impressive performance
Integrated 0.3MP webcam for video chats
Rich mocha finish offers stylish good looks
ENERGY STAR qualified and EPEAT compliant for environmental friendliness
Palm-Proof technology and Kensington lock offer enhanced security
Chiclet keyboard affords comfortable data entry
Includes Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
Inputs/outputs: 2 USB 2.0 ports, USB 3.0 port, HDMI port, RJ-45 port, VGA port, headphone-out, microphone-in and 5-in-1 memory card reader
ASUS Power4Gear conserves the 6-cell rechargeable battery's power
Warranty: 1 year global; 1 year accidental damage*

Ryan~
07-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Don't buy anything Mac or Apple. It's stupid how much they charge you for a shitty product

John Ryan~

I'll admit he's right and agree with this.

They are so pretty, though. But once you buy one, it's like "Well, I just spent a fortune on this..."

Reese
07-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately my budget really couldn't go past $1500 or so, I'm trying to save money :P
Kenshin definitely putting it on the list ^_^.
Have you had any issues with HP Hug :(?

Kenshin
07-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately my budget really couldn't go past $1500 or so, I'm trying to save money :P

HPs are good for their price.

I don't care for them though but it's a good budget saver.

Hug
07-28-2012, 06:00 PM

I've had one in the past. Only lasted two years before it got super super slow. And it had overheating issues.
However, I did play a lot of games on it and ran photoshop a lot so that may have contributed to my problem.

John
07-28-2012, 06:10 PM

John Ryan~

who cares? they are super easy to use, and sexy af.

Reese
07-28-2012, 06:21 PM
John
I can't disagree but I'm afraid they're just too expensive :P.
Hug
Thanks for the advice :). As it is I'm looking at Lenovo and Asus ^_^

metaldroga
07-28-2012, 06:28 PM
My recommendation would be that you have to search for a one with a lot of hard disk space and good memory RAM 2+ gb is perfect.

jongeh
07-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I use my desktop for most things, but I would like a laptop for portability ^_^. I would use it for gaming(WoW), web browsing, and light word processing. I have an older Macbook now but I can't say I care too much for it :rolleyes:. My budget would be anywhere from $300-1000 depending on the laptop :).
Used laptops would be fine as well ^_^. Will +rep for good advice (:.

Try looking on eBay for factory refurbished laptops, despite their name they actually are pretty much brand new. If you live in the USA, you will have plenty available to you. I went to the states last year with my family and actually spoke to a seller on eBay and managed to get him to send a laptop to my holiday address. For I think $600 I got a lenovo y560, 4gb ram, quad core i7 processor, mid/upper range ati graphics card (mobility 5730) and 500gb hard drive. The laptop itself was packaged in the original packaging, with protective screen seels and everything. The laptop looked brand new, no scratches, nothing.

I know for a fact that here in the UK, a laptop of the same calibre brand new, or even second hand would cost a lot more than what I paid for mine. That was a year ago, so I suspect models such as mine will be cheaper or better models will be out. I can play pretty much any game on my laptop, metro 2033 in mid-high settings and it hasn't failed me yet.

ciclame
08-18-2012, 09:43 PM
I disagree with everyone . I personally believe that MOST things ( not all ) from apple are worth the money you pay. I spent 1000 $ on my MacBook Air 120 GB Intel Core 2 Duco , 3 years ago and it still works as good as the day i bought it . I have my machine partitioned with boot camp using 60 Gb for windows ( to use the programs from here ) and 60 GB for mac and i to say i see no difference in speed . To be honest though they are not the best gaming laptops. :( if you are looking for a overall well rounded computer go with a Macbook pro :D and if you want something for on the go , go with a macbook air , but if you are looking for a portable gaming laptop go with an Alien :D