PDA

View Full Version : losing weight

Daphne
07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I've always been obese, but the last years it ran really out of hand.
So in February I decided to try one more time to lose some weight and if it wouldn't succeed, I would go for surgery.
But thanks to weight watchers I already lost 21.2 kg (wich I'm already really happy with).
But now it's getting harder and harder to loose weight, so 2 weeks ago I decided to start with fitness to to get back in shape and making some more weight loss easier.
By september (when I go on a vacation) I still want to lose 7 kg, I hope I can achieve that :p.

Are there other here who have some experience with loosing weight?

John
07-08-2012, 10:27 PM
exercise and eat well

Spurs
07-08-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm about to begin a training regime that I've heard from friends is a great workout plan. It's called Insanity Workout or something, and one of my friends said within the first few days he could feel results, so I've looked into it and although it looks gruelling, I think it'll help. xD

Kenshin
07-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Top 2 things you need to do.

#1 - Eat very well
*Low Carbs
*A lot of fruit and vegetables

#2 - Exercise
*A lot of cardio
*Crunches/ Push-Ups
*Make sure you keep a certain regiment. Don't work out too hard off the bat.

Zachafer
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Top 2 things you need to do.

#1 - Eat very well
*Low Carbs
*A lot of fruit and vegetables

#2 - Exercise
*A lot of cardio
*Crunches/ Push-Ups
*Make sure you keep a certain regiment. Don't work out too hard off the bat.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

nixstarr
07-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Insanity I heard is a VERY good "do it at home" work out regime. However personal trainers are fantastic to get ideas for training programmes. You Need to do a combination of both weight training and cardio. Interval training, is by far the best method for quick weightloss along with a balanced diet. However you should maintain a good weight training programme as the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest and increases your metabolism.

Evelsaint
07-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Daphne

Your goal is to lose weight and stay like that. No point in losing it if you pick it back up in a second.

Have a healthy diet, make it a life style and do a lot of cardio, running/biking/swimming.

Do different intervals to challenge yourself.

Best of all, swim to relax yourself also!

Mentality is very important. If you are stressed, your chances of picking up weight increases drastically!

Also don't eat big meals, space yourself apart with snacks like yogurt and trail mix or fruit during the day so your metabolism keeps going and burning the calories. After a big meal, your metabolism could slow down as much as 10%!
But this doesn't mean you should eat small meals or skip meals, your body will think that food is scarce and will store it as fat, the very thing you want to lose!

Also do a little bit of weights but don't kill yourself with it.

Also if you do decide to swim, warm your body up afterwards, people say swimming doesn't help but that is because cold water lowers the body temperature making your body crave food to replace the calories used to keep the body warm. You will feel famished after you swim, FIGHT THAT CRAVING!

Have a light snack or warm up in the sauna for 20 minutes if your gym has one, if not a very hot shower~

Watching what you eat is great but exercise is key!

Hope this helps.

Daphne
07-08-2012, 11:23 PM
wow, thanks for all these responses.
The eating part is under controll ;)
Not sure if anyone know weight watchers, is a diet program well know in Belgium and Holland.
It learns you how to eat and what not to eat and its is a real help (I already lost 21,2 kg so that awsome).

As for sport, well that all new for me, but I'm working with a "personal" trainer,
and he really helps me with finding the program thats right for me.
At first I didnt want to spend su much money but after a little more then 2 weeks I already notice some changes in some places, so its really worth the money :p.

Xanice
07-08-2012, 11:28 PM
wow, thanks for all these responses.
The eating part is under controll ;)
Not sure if anyone know weight watchers, is a diet program well know in Belgium and Holland.
It learns you how to eat and what not to eat and its is a real help (I already lost 21,2 kg so that awsome).

As for sport, well that all new for me, but I'm working with a "personal" trainer,
and he really helps me with finding the program thats right for me.
At first I didnt want to spend su much money but after a little more then 2 weeks I already notice some changes in some places, so its really worth the money :p.

just make sure to take it slow. The most successful cure to permanent weight loss is by making healthy life-style changes one by one. If you try to do everything at one time, however, you will either give up or once you let loose, all the chances will reverse. In example, friend always tries to do everything at once. Eat salads vs pizza, drink water versus beer, try to excercise one week straight etc etc. But he gives up after a week. I've been telling him for months, replace beer with water for 2 months or so. You'll lose weight just like that. After that, start excercising once a week, then more and more frequently as you get used to it. Eventually, your lifestyle changes in a way where you religiously follow the same routine, watch what you drink and watch what you eat. That is the best way for permanent weight loss, and it seems you are on your way since you've been working with gradual improvement!

nixstarr
07-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Yup yup we have Weight Watchers here in NZ, my mum does it too! But you seem to be doing alot better then her, she just loves her peanut butter too much :P
Ahhh keep it up with the personal training, even if it is just for a month you learn so much! :) Also if you have group fitness classes I find those are really really good, classes like Body Attack or Body Step or Pump which is provided my Les Mills if you have it there are amazing workouts and really exercising with groups just motivates you that little bit more. Also spin or RPM classes are amazing, as they are good high intensity interval workouts which you can set to your level.
Also have you tried boxing classes? Another way to get fit and are great fun (just pad work not actually fighting tho :P)
Wish you the best of luck and Im sure you can do it since you've come this far already!

victoriamle
07-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Here's a suggestion

Change to a low-carb diet. Eat lots of fruit and veggies & Turkey/Chicken in place of steak or other meats
And start walking. Everyday. First day do 30 minutes. 2nd do 40 and so on

It works- trust me

07-09-2012, 05:22 AM
There are these drops that make you lose like 3 pounds a day for like 3 months or so :P Other than that I can tell you what I did to lose wait in PM.

tom hardy
11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Weight issues are very common now days.Try to eat healthy like vegetables,fruits,beans,fish etc and drinks more and more water.Also engage yourself in some kind of physical exercises,games.workouts which also plays a vital role to reduce fat and weight of our body.

Daffodil
11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
When I was younger I was very overweight. Because my whole family is and has an awful metabolism, I found it so hard to lose weight.
When I went to secondary school, I needed something to help me concentrate so my ma put me on ritalin tablets. My weight dropped like flies. I was bout 80KG/ 159 pounds and went down to 50KG/ 103 pounds in secondary school. I wouldn't recommend ritalin for weight loss though. But it is the most common side effect. I miss being on ritalin now. I've gained the weight back unfortunately and I do exercise daily so it's really annoying.

OFWGKTA
12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
I used to tone my body fat down to 9-10 percent during spring for the summer. I used to do a lot of high intensity workouts during the mornings/late nights. I also consumed significantly less calories than I would regularly. I would drink water to stay hydrated during my workouts but by the end of the workout, I would throw on sweats and a sweatshirt and sit in the sauna/steam room for 30 minutes. Then take a break and go swim, then sit in there for another 30 minutes.

Jager
12-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I struggle with my weight my entire life (makes me sound old) but I found something that I am consistent with and I love to do. I love to dance but when I had my knee injury I just quit and didn't go back. But there's a local Zumba class and my friends recommended it to me. 1 hour of full cardio and I will tell you it's hard. I was so sore the next day that I thought I couldn't move but a within 3 weeks of going 3x a week I lost a pant size and my stomach toned. Go with your friends, drink lots of fluids and before you know it the pounds will be falling off. Good luck and keep us posted!

Toasted
01-08-2013, 09:40 PM
How much is the usual Zumba class at 3x per week? :)

kate
01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
I went from 90 lbs to 160 lbs to 100 lbs in the past year and some, and I can tell you that the most important thing is for you not to let one slip up in your diet/exercise/routine ruin your entire day. Just do what know you have to do, regardless of what you've already done.

-Drink lots of water. If you feel your fingers swelling when you walk or run you might be drinking to much, though. Water will make you slimmer and make your skin more beautiful and youthful in the long run. Not to mention the countless benefits it has that we can't see.

- Do not eat processed food. If you can't make it yourself, with natural ingredients, you probably shouldn't be eating it. These are the foods that are the real monstrosities. They gunk up your system and it is the a-nutritional garbage is what makes up the extra fat deposits in our bodies (hello cellulite also~). Processed food is also the cause of most acne.

-Exercise. Personally, I don't feel the need to do intense cardio or weight lifting (because I feel that people who do these things, especially women, age a lot faster and look a lot older), but I make sure to be walking around as much as possible, and I'm not afraid to sweat every one in a while.

-Maintain a regular sleep schedule. The disruption to your sleep and ultimately serotonin production and other bodily process is going to make it increasingly difficult for you to lose the weight, as well as feel positive, and so much more. I feel that a nap during the afternoon everyone in a while is also really great.

- Eat many fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds and fats. Limit grains and dairy! For me, I eat rice or pasta every few days and dairy (like cheese or garlic butter) is a treat for me.

- EAT A LOT. I eat ~250 calories every 3 hours that I am awake (starting whenever I start to feel hungry after waking up). Bear in mind that I am 5'2 and super tiny in frame, and most people have to eat more. I only count the calories because I have a bad habit of not eating enough if I don't. You will still lose weight if you are eating the foods mentioned above. You might want to limit nuts and other super calorie dense foods, but other than that, it is very hard to eat too much healthful food.

- LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If something doesn't feel right, figure out what it is. Maybe your body is not responding well to a certain food you are eating, or maybe it's trying to tell you that you need more of a certain vitamin or mineral. Restless legs while sitting at the computer? Get up and go for a walk :)

These are really just general life guildlines I think. haha.

Linja
01-09-2013, 05:41 PM
-Exercise. Personally, I don't feel the need to do intense cardio or weight lifting (because I feel that people who do these things, especially women, age a lot faster and look a lot older), but I make sure to be walking around as much as possible, and I'm not afraid to sweat every one in a while.

I'm not sure why you think this...the aging factor doesn't come from working out at all. I believe you associate this with women who work out for a living. Most of their age comes from the constant tanning they do to bring out the contrast for muscle definition. Trust me, you'll feel amazing after an intense cardio session, you know...the ones where you feel like your body just wants to give up.

Kite
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I used to be pretty chubby.. was up to 190 and still wasn't finished growing, then I basically cut bread and pop/sugary drinks out of my diet and lost about 40 pounds, of course I've gained some weight since then but I've also grown about a foot so I'd say I'm still pretty healthy and I still tend to stay away from carbs and sugary drinks but of course I'll eat/drink them occasionally :3

kate
01-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure why you think this...the aging factor doesn't come from working out at all. I believe you associate this with women who work out for a living. Most of their age comes from the constant tanning they do to bring out the contrast for muscle definition. Trust me, you'll feel amazing after an intense cardio session, you know...the ones where you feel like your body just wants to give up.

like I said, I am totally down to do that every once in a while, it's just not as an everyday thing (not anymore). i believe there is a sweet spot between working out and sweating enough that your body is cleansing itself and your heartrate is being pushed and challenged, and between pushing yourself so hard everyday that it becomes visible on your face and ass and also in your cardiac health. i know several men and women IN THEIR 40s who died of heartattack "shockingly" because they were extremely active and the "go go go" types. idk, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

GreenApple90
01-09-2013, 07:49 PM
You don't have to exercise till your drenched in sweat to get all the benefits related to exercise. 30-45 minutes of cardio (even if it is just walking) a couple days a week can have huge benefits on your overall health and can help prevent certain diseases. Not to mention can help weight loss.

Women who compete in fitness shows look older because they tan a lot to bring out muscle definition. Not to mention some take steroids because women cannot gain muscle mass like men can.

Poe
01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Oh crap, now I feel so bloody fat.

ratero
01-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Boxing helps to lose rapid weight

janikanicolepi
01-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Hmm, it is very difficult for us as girls to lose weight especially during, you know...that time of the month when you feel extremely bloated. Try eating a couple fruits a day if you can. I find fruits an excellent way to keep full, and satisfy the sweet tooth. If you are really in the munchie state where you really want chocolate, or something deep fry, or anything that is consider unhealthy by normal means, go for it. If you don't satisfy those craving or urge to eat, it only makes losing weight difficult. Have a piece of chocolate or two, set an "amount". Keep a food diary of what you consume, include date, food name, estimate calories. <- this diary can be a huge hassle, but i find it helpful not only to keep track of the amount of calories I consume, but because writing is such a hassle to me personally, I simply avoided eating. =.= It;s like a check book. Another pointer I can give you is, do an activity you like. Personally I enjoy volunteering, hiking, zumba and swimming. So in one weekend, I will go hiking ,another weekend I go swimming, and such. Excercise such as swimming is a full body work out, so be prepare to feel exhausted / muscle sore afterward. I dislike the routing that most people have which is ....going to gym and work out for 30 mins or 1 hour and go home. I find this type of work out, boring and repetitive.

watersniper
01-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Lost 15kg in 8 months by cutting out salt.
That's all :) No extra exercise or starvation

Herb
01-25-2013, 04:01 AM
i only eat once a day lool xD thats how i lose weight i guess?

ruzzeh
01-25-2013, 04:13 AM
i only eat once a day lool xD thats how i lose weight i guess?

Eat more through out the day or you'll start gaining weight that way ;)

Herb
01-25-2013, 04:15 AM
Eat more through out the day or you'll start gaining weight that way ;)

-
I dont really get hungry tho :L
Or i forget to eat xD

Mod
01-25-2013, 04:43 AM
-
I dont really get hungry tho :L
Or i forget to eat xD

Are you a stick?

Herb
01-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Are you a stick?

-x-
nope :P

kgs
02-01-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't know if this has already been said, but whatever you decide to do, make it sustainable.
Doing the insanity workout sounds good, but if you aren't able to maintain it and burn out and go back to sitting on a couch, it isn't worth it.
Start doing something that you can imagine yourself doing for months or years.
Taking a brisk, long walk is frequently a good choice. And by long I mean like an hour of walking.

monzter
02-15-2013, 10:34 AM
clean eating for the win
increase your intake of whole grains + hit your daily macro intake.
also, the best way to lose weight is by gaining muscles
weight training + dieting.
though dieting has been said to contribute to 80% of overall weight loss/ muscle development
and by dieting i mean clean eating.

you will see the changes.
i promise you

riverdale
06-29-2013, 01:41 AM
I'm about to start a big weight loss journey because I suffered massive sports injuries and just let myself fall into a funk.
Do weight training! The number on the scale may look heavier because muscle is heavier than fat, but your body will be a lot more lean and toned. Eat tons of fiber and drink tons of water. Whole grain everything, lots of healthy fiber snacks between small meals. Do not skimp on eating breakfast - it's sets your metabolism up for the whole day and will help you eat less throughout the day. Find a system that works for you - if you don't enjoy working out, you won't do it, so you have to find ways to do it that you enjoy doing. Crossfit is amazing, Insanity is amazing, rowing machines are the shit, stationary bikes are awesome. Just find things that you love to do so that you will be motivated to do them. :)

boardwalks
06-29-2013, 02:18 AM
Ok this is dumb. Looking through the first two pages of this just make me cringe.

If you want to have lasting, healthy weight loss. See a nutritionist/dietitian, they will put you on a better track than people online.

It is not about depriving your body or never having pizza or whatever, because like, fuck it. Everything in moderation, it is fuel and gives you exchanges of things you need.

Sorry, not trying to hate on your thread here, but like omg. Professionals. Also don't focus on the weight dude, like fuck, if you are doing workouts and changing that part of your life there is muscleeeeeee, which weighsss stufffff.

Hi bye. Much luck in feeling ok with your body.

Hinth
06-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Ok this is dumb. Looking through the first two pages of this just make me cringe.

If you want to have lasting, healthy weight loss. See a nutritionist/dietitian, they will put you on a better track than people online.

It is not about depriving your body or never having pizza or whatever, because like, fuck it. Everything in moderation, it is fuel and gives you exchanges of things you need.

Sorry, not trying to hate on your thread here, but like omg. Professionals. Also don't focus on the weight dude, like fuck, if you are doing workouts and changing that part of your life there is muscleeeeeee, which weighsss stufffff.

Hi bye. Much luck in feeling ok with your body.

Lifting is 40%. Diet is 60% (at least).

superman666
07-09-2013, 08:24 PM
I believe the average person won't be able to stick to a diet that doesn't have a binge day once a week.

Scaletta01
07-09-2013, 08:54 PM
That can be debated. IF you truly want to lose weight or you have a deadline, you do what it takes.

6-7 meals a day, 3 meals with 3-4 snacks. You don't have to not eat period, but it does help if you don't eat as much or cut back on calories. When I took weightlifting in high school, I barely ate and I lost no weight, but when I ate like above, with salads, protein, etc., I lost 20 pounds in 3-3.5 weeks and that's with hardly any effort.

Allegra
07-09-2013, 09:46 PM
I believe the average person won't be able to stick to a diet that doesn't have a binge day once a week.

binge days are...kind of stupid. You're not meant to be teaching your body that consuming copious amounts of food is OK. A cheat/indulgence meal, or simply adding on some more calories/being more flexible for a day will do you just fine. The key is to teach your body moderation, not restriction then flat out binging.

Clydes
12-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Hi Daphne,
It''s easy to lose extra weight in the beginning and hard to lose weight later , so stick with your workouts and follow balanced diet meal plan. Cardio exercises are great to burn fat, boost metabolism and lose weight so start cardio exercises and prefer raw food over processed food.
Toplevelfit boot camp ([Only registered and activated users can see links])