PDA

View Full Version : Picking between two laptops - need people good with computers. [+rep]

Azn
06-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah got a huge gift card to Sam's Club from a friend.

I'm deciding between these two:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Which one do you think is a better laptop and why?

I'd be using either one for college and mostly carrying around with me all day.
The bottom one is lighter but I really like the first one even if it's a little bit more expensive.

It'd be nice if someone near about Intel Core or whatever it is and explain to me the technical stuff.

Ryan~
06-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Fixed the links for you ;)

This one has more CPU speed, which can help you.

It is also the more expensive of the two, but looks to be a good computer RAM/CPU/HDD wise.

plus it has "32GB solid-state drive cache", which apparently SSDs are SUPER FAST. (I don't have one, so I'm not sure).

Yeah, this is definitely the better of the two.

Azn
06-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Opps. I fixed the links. They should work now.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Thanks! Anybody else want to chime in?

Laura
06-29-2012, 02:40 AM
I agree, go with the HP Ultrabook. Getting the SSD is worth the extra money, they're used mainly for industrial computers and are super fast like Ryan said.

I've also always liked 14 inch laptops, and the extra weight doesn't make that much of a difference IMO. The HP looks more powerful, which means it can function better as a desktop replacement than the other one; the Beats audio doesn't hurt either :)

PotatoPig
06-29-2012, 09:46 AM
SSD > HDD.

SSD > 2 x HDD.

See?

I love reinforcing other's points.

06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
hp is always the best lol

bamag
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
The 1st one is better. It has a 3rd generation Intel processor (Ivy Bridge) which is superior over the other one that has a 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge).
The SSD makes loading stuff extremely fast but since there's not much space on it, its recommended to install your OS on the SSD and use the HDD for storing files.
Both computers use integrated graphics which isn't very good but the 1st one probably has better integrated graphics because of the newer generation processor.
Also the 1st one has slightly higher battery life.

chocoleet
09-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Definitely the first one is better due to the 32gb SSD (Solid State Drive). But if you were to look at the price difference and considering on what you do with it, I would go with the second one. The second one is $650 atm. A 32gb SSD is not necessary for college. You really can get pass college with just a regular HDD. The CPU is almost the same. The first one is not ivy bridge btw. Both CPUs are almost similar in speed. CPU handles how much work your computer can take. First one is just a bit faster which is not necessary for college. Also since your using it for college only, it is more efficient to have a smaller laptop to carry around. Save money and get the Samsung.