PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice From You Technology Experts!

Ksychic
06-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Got about 500-600 dollars to spend on a lap-top that will last me for the next three years of college.

Bought a Mac for my first year, but I really did not like it, and my mom loved it and I gave it to her.

Parents said budget is 500-600 for a new one.

Just wanted your opinions on what I should get,

I dont think I can get an i7 processor, but shit I dont even know what those mean, just read i7 is the best and intel is better than AMD.

Advice please :D

Ryan~
06-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Okay lets see.

For reference:

Acer = Dell.
HP seems to have LOTS of battery/charger problems (at least in my family)
Macbooks are overpriced, but I love 'em.
Don't buy Gateway
4GB-8GB RAM is ideal
i7>i5>i3 Processor
~2.5 GHz Processing speed will be nice.

How big of a screen size did you want? 13" 15" 17"?

I saw:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Or:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Maybe Mike (./m) can help?

Reese
06-16-2012, 01:17 AM
I've had several problems with Dell in the past; my Asus has never given me any issues :).
What screen size did you want ^_^?

Ryan~
06-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Asus are good depending on your budget, though I don't think you could get too strong of one for under 800. I like my HP, but there are some heat issues (which is only because I have a total metal case and not much cooling, DONT DO THAT)

i5 is ideal in a laptop, simply because though an i7 is faster, it lets off a SIGNIFICANT amount of heat, which can only really go well in a desktop where you can have good ventiliation.

Ryan~ - Acer and Compaq are HP now

Also, Dell is a bit more expensive than the others, as is Lenovo, however I only hear great things about Lenovo

Wait, was it ASUS that is part of Dell? I get Acer and Asus mixed.

Reemer
06-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Intel is indeed better, but AMD is cheap and can give you what you need. If you see a computer that you like and it has an AMD processor, don't shoot it down immediately ;)

IIRC the i3, i5, and i7 all have "hyper-threading" which, my friend told me, allows it to perform 2 operations for every clock cycle, rather than one.

Stay far away from Dell. Even my Alienware laptop is a piece of shit. Never ever get one, I've had so many problems with it. I'm partial to Acer/HP. Good luck.

Ksychic
06-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Not looking for a screen size too small, but not too big, so the 15 inch :)

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Ryan~, two laptops you linked me to were nice, but I was hoping for i5 man.