PDA

View Full Version : Walking.

iBeast
06-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I walk roughly 10-12 times around a campground that I stay at daily (I LOVE! Camping!)
I'd say it's probably 1/4th a mile around. I need to lose serious weight (I weigh 165 pounds)
I'm going to set up a "Schedule" to walk around it at certain times for a period of time
Like Walk around lake 4 times every hour or two hours
Can anyone help me do this?
I need some major weight loss (Hoping to be 120-130) by summer.
I'm 14 and my body means everything to me :)

Sneakz
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Walking and getting more exercise is great, but exercise alone does very little for weight loss. You'll see quicker and more effective weight loss results by eating a healthier diet :)

John
06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
how tall are you?

lucygoose
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Don't base your health on your weight - base it on your BMI. BMI takes into account height as well as weight, and I think age too. I would recommend calculating your BMI before you think about exercise. Also before you start exercising, you need to set a goal of how much weight you want to lose. Your schedule should be based on how much weight you want to lose.
I hope I helped a little bit :)

Sneakz
06-12-2012, 05:41 PM
I would advise against using BMI. And no lucygoose, it does not take your age into account.. Just height and weight. Because he is a 14 year old boy, it might not be effective to use the standard BMI scale that is used for grown adults. It also does not take muscle mass into account.
You can figure out your ideal body weight by using your height. Ideally, it is 106lbs for the first 5ft, and then +6 pounds for every inch beyond 5ft. So for example, if you are 5'4, your ideal body weight would be 130.

John
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
it says im overweight:o
no no no, im big boned.

Sneakz
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Lol that method I described also does not take muscle mass into account. You're just ripped John ;)

John
06-12-2012, 05:48 PM
guilty as charged;)
but yeah im not obese:)

iBeast
06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys!

Ksychic
06-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Bro, I would highly recommend jogging some of those "rounds".

I remember reading somewhere, you burn double maybe even triple the calories from jogging/running over walking,

Also, if you are serious about weight loss, which seems like you are because you said "your body means everything", try some HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training. 3x a week. It speeds up your metabolism for I believe up to 24 hours after performing which burns much more calories.

Yes, I am a fitness freak :P

Sneakz
06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Bro, I would highly recommend jogging some of those "rounds".

I remember reading somewhere, you burn double maybe even triple the calories from jogging/running over walking,

Also, if you are serious about weight loss, which seems like you are because you said "your body means everything", try some HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training. 3x a week. It speeds up your metabolism for I believe up to 24 hours after performing which burns much more calories.

Yes, I am a fitness freak :P

That's not true. That sounds like some kind of gimmick to me. Exercising and training your body over time gradually speeds up your metabolism. It doesn't just temporarily speed up after a certain type of exercise. That isn't really how metabolism works. You have to continuously train regularly to see changes in your energy expenditure and metabolism.

sniperdude1989
06-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Dieting is 70% of being healthy brother. I weighed 172 lbs when I was 14, 15-16 i weighed 205. Eating right with the right kind of weight training and cardio is all you need.

I am on a lean diet atm.
Liquid egg whites in the morning
10 am- almonds
1pm- A piece of chicken and a fat free yogurt
4pm- peanut butter sandwich
Dinner- chicken and vegetables.

Idk if your parents will buy u chicken breast all the time, you could subsitute it with turkey (no bread) you could also try cottage cheese or string cheese if you do not have yogurt.

I lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks with this diet and exercising :) I am still doing the diet but I cheat at dinner time sometime lol Ive lost enough weight, im just trying to maintain now

Ksychic
06-14-2012, 12:35 AM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

That says different :P

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
If you're walking, you should try hiking instead (Uphill, different terrain, etc). Give your body a challenge. Any physical movement is good, but the more the better. If burning calories was as easy as walking, it'd be a lot easier to lose weight. Also try looking at your diet if you want to lose a considerable amount. There's no point in walking, jogging, running, or any type of exercise if you eat the calories it burns with an insane amount of carbs and fat.

Kristin
06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
The only problem with walking is that you need to walk A LOT to burn off enough calories. Plus, once you do it for a while your body get used to it.
Try mixing it up every week or so. Walking, swimming, jogging, hiking and HIIT. All great stuff!

Sneakz
06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

That says different :P

Lol did you just reference wikipedia? That is the most unreliable source ever. Try using that in college, a professor will hand your paper back to you with an F on it :P

Also, that doesn't even support what you were saying. This is what the Wikipedia article says about metabolic benefits:

"There may be a number of factors that contribute to this, including an increase in resting metabolic rate."

I do not deny that. An athlete who has been exercising repeatedly and regularly, as I stated before, will experience increase in metabolism OVER TIME. That doesn't mean it speeds it up right after each session temporarily. Like I said, it doesn't work that way.

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Lol did you just reference wikipedia? That is the most unreliable source ever. Try using that in college, a professor will hand your paper back to you with an F on it :P

Also, that doesn't even support what you were saying. This is what the Wikipedia article says about metabolic benefits:

"There may be a number of factors that contribute to this, including an increase in resting metabolic rate."

I do not deny that. An athlete who has been exercising repeatedly and regularly, as I stated before, will experience increase in metabolism OVER TIME. That doesn't mean it speeds it up right after each session temporarily. Like I said, it doesn't work that way.

The glucose metabolism IS increased due to the exercise, but only TEMPORARILY after the exercise is performed. Long term results, like you said, only come over time (Its a marginal increase after a long period).

Just clearing stuff up (hopefully).

Sneakz
06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
The glucose metabolism IS increased due to the exercise, but only TEMPORARILY after the exercise is performed. Long term results, like you said, only come over time (Its a marginal increase after a long period).

Just clearing stuff up (hopefully).

Glucose metabolism is different than your RMR (resting metabolic rate.) I was assuming he was referring to RMR, since that is usually what is being referred to when you are talking about a "fast" or "slow" metabolism.
All I'm saying is that from my years of studying health and fitness, my understanding is that that is not how RMR works. It takes time to change your RMR. Find me a peer reviewed published journal article that shows evidence that your metabolism is temporarily raised 24 hours after the session, and I will believe you. But so far, all I've been able to find is a bunch of fitness and body building sites claiming this. These sites are often run by people with no educational background in the topic and are often misinformed or merely speculating.

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Glucose metabolism is different than your RMR (resting metabolic rate.) I was assuming he was referring to RMR, since that is usually what is being referred to when you are talking about a "fast" or "slow" metabolism.
All I'm saying is that from my years of studying health and fitness, my understanding is that that is not how RMR works. It takes time to change your RMR. Find me a peer reviewed published journal article that shows evidence that your metabolism is temporarily raised 24 hours after the session, and I will believe you. But so far, all I've been able to find is a bunch of fitness and body building sites claiming this. These sites are often run by people with no educational background in the topic and are often misinformed or merely speculating.
Oh no I completely agree with you. I didn't know he was referring to RMR, I thought he just meant actual glucose metabolism/insulin production. Never mind lol.

Off topic, just started an EC stack to increase my RMR. That's a good way to do it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't dealt with supplements/exercise/REAL dieting before.

Sneakz
06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh no I completely agree with you. I didn't know he was referring to RMR, I thought he just meant actual glucose metabolism/insulin production. Never mind lol.

Off topic, just started an EC stack to increase my RMR. That's a good way to do it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't dealt with supplements/exercise/REAL dieting before.

Oh wow. That is pretty extreme. I wouldn't recommend it either, but if you know what you're doing...
Just don't do it long term.

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh wow. That is pretty extreme. I wouldn't recommend it either, but if you know what you're doing...
Just don't do it long term.
Only 6 weeks, 2 dose a day instead of 3. Cardio is at a minimum and only cut 500cal from my diet. Still eating carbs/200g protein a day. Just looking to burn off the fat from bulking since I did it kind of dirty. Going to start my clean bulk in August-ish. First time I've really gotten technical with my diet. 3 digital scales in my room and a notebook lol.

This being said, to try to keep my post from being off-topic, diet > exercise in most cases. Don't take it at face value, but in most cases you can lose more weight just by watching what you eat than exercising. If you eat to fill the void you create with physical activity, you're not going to see your goals and you might quit. Also remember you won't see results right away. It took me a good 2-3 months of strength training to notice a change in the size of my muscles. Just stick with exercise and throw diet in there and you can lose 1-3 pounds of fat a week easily.

Zildjian38
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately a lot of the stuff people are posting here is wrong. The most important thing is diet. It is true that losing weight is 70% diet, 20% exercise and 10% supplements.

HIIT is great because it will help you target fat burning instead of muscle burning. DO NOT JUST START RUNNING. If you heart rate is above "zone 2" you will burn more muscle for energy than fat. Try to keep in your zone 2 heart rate (it depends on your age). IF you want to lose weight, LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS. The main three are squats, dead lifts and bench. It takes a lot more calories to sustain muscle than it does fat, so if you increase your muscle composition you will have a higher basic metabolic rate.

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Unfortunately a lot of the stuff people are posting here is wrong. The most important thing is diet. It is true that losing weight is 70% diet, 20% exercise and 10% supplements.

HIIT is great because it will help you target fat burning instead of muscle burning. DO NOT JUST START RUNNING. If you heart rate is above "zone 2" you will burn more muscle for energy than fat. Try to keep in your zone 2 heart rate (it depends on your age). IF you want to lose weight, LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS. The main three are squats, dead lifts and bench. It takes a lot more calories to sustain muscle than it does fat, so if you increase your muscle composition you will have a higher basic metabolic rate.
I can tell I'm going to like you already.

Squats are the perfect multigender exercise (every exercise is good for any gender to do, don't get me wrong; you won't get huge or freakishly muscular unless you TRY to). For guys, its practical strength in basically every part of their body. For girls, it builds a nice butt + the aforementioned. There's no reason for everyone to not do squats.

Zildjian38
06-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I can tell I'm going to like you already.

Squats are the perfect multigender exercise (every exercise is good for any gender to do, don't get me wrong; you won't get huge or freakishly muscular unless you TRY to). For guys, its practical strength in basically every part of their body. For girls, it builds a nice butt + the aforementioned. There's no reason for everyone to not do squats.

100% agree. I work out 3 times a week. I read 100s of books about lifting and health. I have tried everything you can imagine. What I posted works. Lift heavy weights. On days you lift, have a calorie surplus or else you will not build muscle. On days you do not lift, make sure your calories are less than maintenance. For instance, a good thing to do is +10% on lift days, -20% on non lift days.

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 10:18 PM
100% agree. I work out 3 times a week. I read 100s of books about lifting and health. I have tried everything you can imagine. What I posted works. Lift heavy weights. On days you lift, have a calorie surplus or else you will not build muscle. On days you do not lift, make sure your calories are less than maintenance. For instance, a good thing to do is +10% on lift days, -20% on non lift days.
Exactly. You won't burn as much fat as a straight cut and won't put on as much muscle as a straight bulk when you mix it, but you'll probably notice the change sooner because of the inversion. Between doing 5x5 squats and 5x1/5x1/3x1/1x1 deadlifts, you can REALLY break a good sweat.

Zildjian38
06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Exactly. You won't burn as much fat as a straight cut and won't put on as much muscle as a straight bulk when you mix it, but you'll probably notice the change sooner because of the inversion. Between doing 5x5 squats and 5x1/5x1/3x1/1x1 deadlifts, you can REALLY break a good sweat.

I prefer the Reverse Pyramid Method (RPM). I will do 5 reps of a warm up set, for instance, if 200 is my max bench with 5 reps, I will do 5 reps at 135 or so. Then I will rest and do my 5 reps at 200 (you should be struggling and almost failing on this last rep). I will then do 6 reps at -10% (so 180 in this example). Once again you should be struggling on 6, if not you need to increase it next time. Then I will do 7 reps at another -10% (so 160 in this example) and once again, struggling and almost failure at 7th rep.

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I prefer the Reverse Pyramid Method (RPM). I will do 5 reps of a warm up set, for instance, if 200 is my max bench with 5 reps, I will do 5 reps at 135 or so. Then I will rest and do my 5 reps at 200 (you should be struggling and almost failing on this last rep). I will then do 6 reps at -10% (so 180 in this example). Once again you should be struggling on 6, if not you need to increase it next time. Then I will do 7 reps at another -10% (so 160 in this example) and once again, struggling and almost failure at 7th rep.
I did that when I was doing bar-weight (or close to it) for football when I was in like 8th grade. My body reacts better to straight-forward sets than pyramid or reverse pyramid. The only thing I pyramid is deadlifts, everything else is Warmup than sets.

Zildjian38
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
I did that when I was doing bar-weight (or close to it) for football when I was in like 8th grade. My body reacts better to straight-forward sets than pyramid or reverse pyramid. The only thing I pyramid is deadlifts, everything else is Warmup than sets.

Everyone is different and needs to figure out for themselves what works best. Both are acceptable strategies.

Also, in between my different workouts I will do HIIT for five minutes. (Bench -> HIIT -> Dips -> HIIT -> Preacher Curls -> HIIT -> Abs)

ri0tc0re
06-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Everyone is different and needs to figure out for themselves what works best. Both are acceptable strategies.

Also, in between my different workouts I will do HIIT for five minutes. (Bench -> HIIT -> Dips -> HIIT -> Preacher Curls -> HIIT -> Abs)

Gotta be careful with that. Really easy to overtrain. Goodbye gains if you mess up. You seem to know what you're doing though.

tom hardy
11-06-2012, 11:01 PM
No doubt all physical exercises and workouts are quite beneficiary for our health and fitness.Walking and getting more exercise is great, but exercise alone does very little for weight loss. You'll see quicker and more effective weight loss results by eating a healthier diet