PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip?

Ronith
05-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes or no?

Explain.

maxxine
05-31-2012, 03:53 PM
When I order pizza I dont, im sure they spit in my food because of my lack of tips.

Pestix
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
I do. I always base my rate on the service I received. If they are shitty, I will usually just leave whatever change I have in my purse. If they are wonderful, they get what they deserve. If they are exceptional, I make sure they know it.

John
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
20% on everything service related.

for things like a bellhop a flat $20 or a $10 if they are slow works.

Reemer
05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
15% if they are really good, possibly 20% if they are amazing. /if they aren't good they'll get like 47 cents

Ray-Chill
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I rarely tip my waitstaff because they just simply suck at times..

Unless they rock I give them whatever I can.

I always tip the pizza delivery guys though. They have to buy their own gas and it can get expensive driving around handing out pizza.

Emiley
05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
No, because the people who deliver the pizza are rude (Most people) and don't deserve a tip.
I only tip the people who came in quick and wasn't rude.

Bailey
05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
I always tip something because they also split the tips with the cooks and stuff too at some places so, unless the service is just horrid. I always tip 15-20%

Ronith
05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
I always tip something because they also split the tips with the cooks and stuff too at some places so, unless the service is just horrid. I always tip 15-20%

You seem to know a lot. Do people tip you?

Possible
05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
10% to bad service
15% to good service
20%+ for great service

Bailey
05-31-2012, 08:35 PM
I've never worked in the food service industry my sister used to work at red lobster and she always tipped out the bartenders and cooks. but thanks for assuming...

Demo
05-31-2012, 08:38 PM
5$ to the pizza man
10% for mediocre service
15% for great service (constantly refilling, small chat, friendly yet not invasive, moderately happy)
20% for great service at mid-high end restaurants
25% if I'm in New York or a more Northern State and I was PERFECTLY satisfied with everything from food to service (I add this in because I've done it twice.)

Reese
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
I tip unless the server is just awful or disrespectful :).

Chi
05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Nup! Don't need to tip in Australia because we have a viable minimum wage :P

Evelsaint
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Standard 15% unless its a party of 6+ people. Then I give 20%

Horrible service still gets 15%.

cloudxcrash
06-01-2012, 05:39 AM
No. They work to get paid and they get paid to work. Might as well give that tip to a homeless person who actually needs the money.

Nath
06-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Always tip if I'm in a good mood, unless the service is terrible. Though I don't know why we do....they're getting paid for it.

Nobody comes up to me at work and says "Thanks for fixing my computer, here's

Ryan~
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
My Tipping is weird.

If I go to like a place where my meal is Under $5. I normally give like 100% tip o.o
Especially if the girl is hot. If its like $10-$20, I normally tip $3-$5.

foxe
06-02-2012, 04:12 AM
We don't really do tipping in Australia, but I think it's a good idea. I'll always put money into a tip jar if there's one.

However, it's also really convenient to not have to worry about it, y'know? :P

coldtowelz
06-03-2012, 12:44 AM
i usually tip, but on the occasion that i don't, it's only due to bad service or a switch in servers... you can't expect me to tip when you've only been with us for like 5 min...

Solgaleo
06-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I tip depending on the service. An awesome server gets a pretty good tip! A bad server gets...well...they're lucky to get spare change.

I honestly get a little miffed when I see the posts here where people don't tip because "they work to get paid".

A lot of food service jobs are pretty much minimum wage. If it wasn't for the tips they get, they might have trouble paying for their bills and stuff.

What if they don't have the job by choice?

Sorry......this thread pretty much hit a personal spot :\

Nath
06-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Whilst I appreciate that, there are tonnes of minimum wage jobs where people don't get tipped...at least here.

Like I've said I do tip though, but would you walk over to somebody in a clothes store or grocery store and tip them? :P

Some food places here even give you the bill with 15% gratuity already added...that pisses me off.

06-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Yes if they are kind and act sweet but if they dont i usually just yell at them and make complaints.

Fitzy2008
06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I've learned, from friends being in the food service industry, never to bite the hand that feeds you ;) I'm always polite even if they are making mistakes, and it's always nice to make someones day :) most waiters get paid less than minimum wage and the rest of their pay is based off tips around here, so I try to give what I can :)

l0lita
06-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't know about other countries, but I know in Canada we have a different (lower) minimum wage for workers who are supposed to receive tip (like waiters at restaurants, etc). So I always tip.
I give about 10% when I'm not really satisfied (too slow water refills, for example), and 15% when I'm satisfied. If the place was super busy I'm more lenient, but yeah. I don't really go higher than 15%, because when I'm uber satisfied, it's usually at high-class restaurants, and the bill there is expensive enough as is without me giving like 25% tip xD

Stubbie
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I always tip. However the value of what I leave varies with the quality of the service I get, I do not ask for much only just a polite attitude.

Reload
06-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I always tip, depending on how much I like them I may tip slightly more.

Vixen
06-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Depends on the service.

Narkotiq
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I tip delivery guys but only like a dollar or two, I've worked in pizza places and see how much those guys make. They get minimum wage or more, plus tips, plus a set amount added to their check for each delivery taken. Servers however I tip the shit out of if they are good because I have been there. Servers only make about 2.13 an hr. Everything else comes from their tips and if they dont get tipped then the company is suppose to make up for it.. I've never seen any company around here making up for lack of tips. They simply try to hide it or threaten the server into saying they made more tips at the end of the night than they did so the company doesnt have to pay them more.

So guys tip your server. You're making a world of difference in their lives.. even if it's just 3-4 dollars you're making it to where they have made minimum wage for that hr.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Whilst I appreciate that, there are tonnes of minimum wage jobs where people don't get tipped...at least here.

Like I've said I do tip though, but would you walk over to somebody in a clothes store or grocery store and tip them? :P

Some food places here even give you the bill with 15% gratuity already added...that pisses me off.

haha I got tipped all the time while working at walmart just for showing people where shit was. It's was crazy. I'd never tip a person like that. That's their job description, they get paid for it.

DC Comics
06-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Yeah I tip, mostly because I've heard the horror stories of how terrible it is. That being said, it IS a job, and they ARE getting paid for work. If they make it clear to me they don't want to be there, or I ask for a refill or something and I'm made to feel like some giant inconvenience (especially since I'm always polite, etc.), then that does come out of their tip. Otherwise, yeah, I tend to give a decent tip.

John
06-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Yeah I tip, mostly because I've heard the horror stories of how terrible it is. That being said, it IS a job, and they ARE getting paid for work. If they make it clear to me they don't want to be there, or I ask for a refill or something and I'm made to feel like some giant inconvenience (especially since I'm always polite, etc.), then that does come out of their tip. Otherwise, yeah, I tend to give a decent tip.

well to be fair, in some places they only make money on what people tip, so if you aren't tipping, they aren't getting paid.

Nath
06-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Hearing people say they earn less than minimum wage is quite confusing.

Here it is illegal to pay somebody less than minimum wage....that's why we have minimum wage, it's the minimum :P

goldentryst
06-08-2012, 07:41 AM
For absolutely horrendous service/attitude: 0... or if I want to really be mean, $1. I know it can suck to get $1 for a tip, and that's a dirtier feeling than getting none.

99% of the time I tip either of the bottom 3:

10% for mediocre, barely acceptable service.
15% good service
20%+ great service!!

I try to leave tip always because I know dealing with customers for hours on end can be atrocious at times. Waiting on people is a tough job.

chez_the_one
06-08-2012, 08:57 PM
In Australia not tipping isnt frowned upon, so the service often suffers. If I went to the US I'd tip well, I've been a waitress before and it sucks.

velinn370
06-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I tip based on service too. If I get someone who enjoys conversation, and treats you like a friend and like you actually get a good talk out of I'll tip 25-40%. If its someone who's being a total bitch I probably wont. If its mediocre I'll stick to the 15%. I might tip cute girls more just because I'm a guy and we do stuff like that sometimes :P

Craze
06-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Hearing people say they earn less than minimum wage is quite confusing.

Here it is illegal to pay somebody less than minimum wage....that's why we have minimum wage, it's the minimum :P

For a job like a waitress/waiter minimum wage is different from every other job.
I know its $2.13 an hour cause i am a waitress in NY it sucks, basically tip's are how you make your money.
Nobody can live on $2.13 an hour.

For most other jobs minimum wage is $7.25 depending on where you live.

However after working in the service industry I usually tip 20% for everything
other than pizza guy and car wash guy they get get 5 bucks

Ked
06-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Mainly I only tip for pizza and I usually just give them a couple bucks$$

DarkByte
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Tips in U.S.A seem crazy to me. I love how you guys feel empathy for the delivery drivers not earning enough so you tip them but seriously wtf is going on in your country that allows less than minimum wage to be paid to people? A tip is supposed to be optional not because you have to make someones wages match the legal minimum amount.

Not trying to U.S.A bash , I love me some 'mericans but I have never understood how company's can get away with this. Also people was saying they tip 20% but why? If you have a huge order the cook has to do alot of work sure but the delivery driver? Carrying a few extra pizzas to your door does not warrent 20% of your bill. I don't get it maybe its just a cultral difference!

Olider
06-30-2012, 05:14 AM
No. In my country is not used xD

Xanice
06-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Tips in U.S.A seem crazy to me. I love how you guys feel empathy for the delivery drivers not earning enough so you tip them but seriously wtf is going on in your country that allows less than minimum wage to be paid to people? A tip is supposed to be optional not because you have to make someones wages match the legal minimum amount.

Not trying to U.S.A bash , I love me some 'mericans but I have never understood how company's can get away with this. Also people was saying they tip 20% but why? If you have a huge order the cook has to do alot of work sure but the delivery driver? Carrying a few extra pizzas to your door does not warrent 20% of your bill. I don't get it maybe its just a cultral difference!

As someone who's been apart and even done management in the service industry for around 4 years rare, the reason why tipping exists is because you technically aren't -FORCED- to pay anything. Essentially, tipping follows that idealistic freedom Americans so vehemently love where they can choose how much they feel the employee deserves based on their own judgement and how well the service they requested was performed. This is a combination of service, eating experience, etc. etc. The reason why tips are allowed is because it allows restaurants and other places to have competitive food pricing, because a restaurant who does take out and dine in, let's say, doesn't want to charge people the same amount if they're taking home the food as people who are eating in. The reasons are obvious due to the fact that dine-in customers require the restaurant to do more work, dish washing, service, water/complementary beverages, etc. etc. When someone takes home food, you pack it to go and they pay and leave. Obviously the latter is cheaper. With this in mind, tipping essentially splits the costs of customer payments, an initial payment for the food, and a payment for the service received as well as satisfaction. That is tipping.

Cultures which do not require tipping may just have better culture for dine-out restaurants, or they may just not care about people ordering food to go quite as much. In america, the take-out industry is just as large as the dine-in industry. (Deliveries as well, but those are another service which gets tip.)

ri0tc0re
06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Usually I tip, but I'm not a firm believer in the mandatory tip. If your service wasn't exceptional or there wasn't some hitch that made my order/service harder than the norm, don't expect a high tip. If your service was shitty, don't expect a tip at all. People are hardcoded that tip is part of the payment you're making for a service, when in reality its a bonus. Sure, they make lower wages sometimes because of the tips, but they go into their job/workplace knowing that full-well and, as a response, should try to exceed expectations to receive said tip.

Ciricus: I would actually go as far as to say that its larger than dine-in. We live in such a fast-paced culture now that a lot of people don't have time to sit down and eat.

Xanice
06-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah that sounds about accurate, but only if you include delivery. Since delivery was a service that often receives tips too, I separated it from taking-food out. From my experience, take-out is a good chunk of business, but does not exceed dine-in. IF you were to bunch delivery+ take-out together however, it would overwhelm dine-in by a hell of a lot. Can feed more people per hour (more orders taken) for delivery than you can for dine-in, so it only makes sense.

ri0tc0re
06-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah that sounds about accurate, but only if you include delivery. Since delivery was a service that often receives tips too, I separated it from taking-food out. From my experience, take-out is a good chunk of business, but does not exceed dine-in. IF you were to bunch delivery+ take-out together however, it would overwhelm dine-in by a hell of a lot. Can feed more people per hour (more orders taken) for delivery than you can for dine-in, so it only makes sense.

It's also cheaper. Less physical space = less rent and less upkeep than delivery. Most companies make their drivers pay for their own gas and pay them below minimum because of tips, so it overall balances out. You also have the fact that one driver can deliver upwards of 5-10 deliveries per trip if they do it correctly. GPS manufacturers are actually including multi-stop routing for this reason alone.

Ksychic
07-02-2012, 03:21 AM
Of course :P

Gotta have class!!

deathwish42
07-02-2012, 03:39 AM
i tip the guy you did my tattoo gave him over $100 tip cause i liked it so much

SkyrimHero
07-02-2012, 08:25 AM
i tip the guy you did my tattoo gave him over $100 tip cause i liked it so much

o.o
Baller?

deathwish42
07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
lol well i liked my tattoo it was awesome it had alot of meaning to me though thats why

Daviid
07-03-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm from Spain and I only tip 15% if they are nice

Khelddar
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
No, I live in Australia where tipping is not customary or necessary, most people that you refer to as "severs" actually get paid decently. most get paid $15 to $20 if not higher, if they do an outstanding job than i leave a tip but then it's my choice. I understand the concept of tipping but i hated it when i was in america, severs where sometimes rude and other times just didn't care about you or your food so why should i leave them a tip? then the places that automatically think that they can just add on tips even without asking you WTF, or if you order a $10 meal and pay with a $20 and they just assume that $10 is a tip.

People that don'y push for tips and actually provide good service should get tipped, if you not getting tips than maybe you should take another look at yourself when working

Possible
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Shitty servers get pissed if u barely tip. I just laugh and say if you want to be tipped well, pay more attention to your customers, just becuase we seem younger doesn't mean I don't deserve the same service as an older couple. Then I stick a sticky grenade on them and run.

Xanice
07-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Shitty servers get pissed if u barely tip. I just laugh and say if you want to be tipped well, pay more attention to your customers, just becuase we seem younger doesn't mean I don't deserve the same service as an older couple. Then I stick a sticky grenade on them and run.

As a younger person who probably has more years of serving experience than half of those servers out there and more experience than 90% of the shitty servers, I agree. People trying to treat younger or older differently is downright retarded. Their mentality about who tips what is sorely misguided. If you feel like someone's not going to tip you well no matter how hard you try, try harder to give excellent service to break that cycle, not give them 0 service at all and blame them when they tip you nothing. It really pisses me off.

On a note for the sticky grenade mine thing.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

You're a regular ol' demoman ain't ye?

Possible
07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Yes I am, without the constant explosions around me, the only explosions around me are the ones I make!

Sigh4
07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Yep. 15% is standard.
I don't tip for takeout though.

Bexxy
08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I tip in places that respect me and my family, make my kids feel welcome, and stuff like that.

I dont tip massive companies with snotty staff who dont even try to help you

Spurs
08-03-2012, 06:40 PM
If they don't put in an automatic service tip into my bill and I like the way they've treated me, e.g. bringing drinks quickly, polite, friendly service etc then I'll tip.

It pisses me off when the waiter/waitress is serving and because I'm young they assume I won't tip well, if at all, so they do the minimal they have to do, which is bring me my order. I'm like the funny thing is that I'm actually a decent tipper for a student and someone who isn't exactly wealthy, so they're shooting themselves in the foot.

I've been a waiter for a company where the wage is set so I don't rely on tips, but even though there were lots of people who never tipped me, using good manners and being polite to customers is hardly an inconvenience and I wouldn't expect anything for good manners. If the customer decides to tip you, all the better.

awe
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
I always tip unless the individual goes out of their way to be unpleasant. In these times every cent makes a difference.

Rem
08-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Of course I tip. I'm not an asshole.

300nukez
08-11-2012, 05:59 PM
When I was 16 my first job was a waiter so I know how hard it can be cleaning an entire table for 8.
here is how you can help make the world a better place to live after leaving.

1-----------
gather all your trash on your plate and stack the empty ones
It is much easier on the waiter to grab the plate and dump everything in the garbage. If you dont do this the waiter will be grabbing your mess bare handed and hate you after you leave.

2-----------
Leave the tip under a cup
Sometimes other sneaky waiters will see the tip in plain sight and tell the other waiters they will do the job for them. If you leave it under the cup the waiter serving you is more likely to get it and feel better about your mess.

3-----------
BE NICE
When I was a waiter sometimes I got loud, sweaty, hormone enraged moms with crying babies that scared the hell out of me. Waiters work as hard as they can already, if they are not attending you its because they are a little busy.

razkull
08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Always, more for better service :)

tristen1230
08-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Yes though I hate leaving big tips. XD What I mean like big tips is $20. We once got a drive to Toronto and tipped the guy a 20.

Neoquest
08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
15-20% depending of quality of service.

Lower if it's really bad.

Julian95
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes, almost always, specially if they're nice. Unless the service isn't good... but that doesn't happen very often.

pinkie
08-12-2012, 08:45 PM

chubang
08-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Yes I do, unless the service isn't good and there is already a service charge for the food. HEHE.

Broken
08-13-2012, 07:08 AM
No, but I live in a country where you don't tip.

Paw
08-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I tip for good service. Around 10-20%

tristen1230
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
I saw a news article on Yahoo! about justin bieber who left a 100% on a $10 meal. XD If I leave a 100% tip on a $10 meal I hope I get into the news.

NoUser
08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I tip when I eat at a nice restaurant. If I'm just eating at a fast food place, or ordering pizza, I obviously don't.

paris hilton
08-18-2012, 03:17 AM
why would you tip, isnt that thier job?

John
08-18-2012, 07:24 AM
why would you tip, isnt that thier job?

Because a lot of people in the service industry make only what tips provide.

munsterpoo
08-18-2012, 10:05 AM
I delivered pizza for 3 years, so now if I order a pizza and don't want to tip, I just pick it up myself rather than waste someone else's time. We always tip though, now that my income doesn't come from tips though, I don't tip as generously as I used to, but 20% or so is normal for us

Jose
08-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Never tip, unless it's a smokin hot female.
Legit.

Scott
08-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I always treat people who handle my food like kings and queens because I'm paranoid they'll do something to my food. People are crazy and there's no telling what some weirdos do when no one's looking, so at least if you're nice and tip well you can minimize the chance that someone will spit in your soup or wipe their ass with your pizza.

Kera
08-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I always tip... other than ONE time.
Even with carry-out I tip. My bf and I love this one Chinese restaurant, and will always tip even just a little for carry-out, only because we love their food and service and we want to keep seeing that. But one time at a Sushi place in town, we had horrible service, they even brought us the wrong food a couple times, ignored us most of the time, and took forever to bring us water.. We didn't leave a tip. However, we haven't been back to the place since we did that.. haha.

All other times that we eat out though, we'll tip 20% at least. :)

Ice
08-20-2012, 01:16 PM
I do. I'm kind of a moron though. I do 10-20% based on service but not exact, like if I paid 8.46 and they were ok I'd give like 1.54 just to hit a clean number. xD;

NexLegend
08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Tip 10-20% depending on the service. Its the least i could do for them bring me and serving me 50-70 dollars worth of food.

winston_tiu
10-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I tip when there is no service charge included in the receipt, examples are fast food chains, drive thru. But if it's in a fancy restaurant and have a 10% SC then no.. not even a dollar...

jwh830
10-18-2012, 12:51 AM
I usually tip 15% if I sit down and eat at a restaurant

Celestial
10-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Wow! I've never tipped in my life, I thought that was just something on TV.

But I guess the employers have got the right idea, underpay the employees and try to some how convince the customers it's their responsibility.

I guess it does make the prices seem lower. Where I used to work at a fast food outlet they didn't allow us to receive tips or carry money while working, I assume so that people couldn't take from the cash register and claim it was theirs. - Tax free too I assume

I remember once my boss told me my register was $2 short... I replied... "Wow, 10 hours of serving customers, thousands of dollars going through my hands and I'm only off by $2, that's pretty good.".
I don't know what he thought, but he didn't say another word about it, guess it wasn't the response he was expecting.

Tika
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I definitely tip, 15% if the service is subpar. Servers make so little that I just think it is necessary. If I receive outstanding service, I tip 100%. It is usually just me and the gf, so it is never any more than $40. When there are drinks involved I am more likely to tip well. :p Aaaand for pizza I usually tip $7-10 depending on how far the drive is.

Brittanee
10-20-2012, 08:58 AM
I feel really bad if I don't tip.

Jager
10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I used to work at as waitress and I know what it's like to be always asked for something by rude customers. There was this one time where I had a group of college kids (despite me being one) and all they would do was return the food back. It was annoying as hell and I was given a shitty tip because I wasn't "quick enough." ... Frat boys >Shakes Head<
But since I am not a waitress and I know what these service people go through, I always tip, even if it's a few dollars. If the service is exceptional they can get 10-15 dollars extra.

Brittanee
10-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I did housekeeping for a total of 4 days and sometimes there were tips.

worst job ever, btw.

HolyTrinity
10-20-2012, 05:05 PM
hellllll no. I wanna save money man. If you think about it. All the money that is used to 'tip a waiter' can be used to buy an extra item off the menu

Richy
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I did housekeeping for a total of 4 days and sometimes there were tips.

worst job ever, btw.

Must have been if you just did it for four days.
I pretty much only tip in a dining situation that requires me to sit down, but I always tip 20% because it's convenient. If it was insanely good service, I'll go to 25% because it's also easy to calculate. Sometimes if I'm feeling nerdy, I'll tip an amount that brings my total up to an exact dollar amount

tofusquares
10-23-2012, 08:06 PM
I always tip in America. If you're in Asia though, you never have to tip (:

Lindsay
10-25-2012, 12:13 AM
I always tip my waiters/ waitresses if I go to a sit down restaurant.
If they suck, I hardly leave tip.. I had a waitress who got really sarcastic and snapped at me a few weeks ago.. so I hardly left her anything..
If I have an awesome waiter/ waitress I will generally leave them 20%.. I feel bad a lot though because I dont think they make a lot of money... Unless they work at some high class restaurant where the tips are $75/per table.. xD

Richy
10-25-2012, 10:47 AM
My parents took me to a nice steak house when I was younger. It was a really fancy place. We talked to the waiters, and they make a /ton/ of money. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was ridiculous how much they made per hour

ShadowCreature
10-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Nope, i have never given a tip to anyone, not something we do in NZ

I had a friend come over from the states, he bought 2 pizzas ($30) gave the dude a $50 note a shut the door, guy knocked on the door to give him his change, tips just dont happen here

kutt
10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I tip solely based on the quality of service. I understand that most of them make their wages based on tips, but if they can't take the time to treat their customers with respect, they don't deserve a tip. I've had many waiters/waitresses that were completely rude the entire time I was under their service, and they did not receive a tip. Might have made them angry, but they brought it on themselves.

Richy
10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Have you ever considered giving them a "tip" such as "employ a kinder demeanor with customers"? A friend did that at a pizza place when we were visiting Chicago, and while I thought it was rude, I still admired his bravado

kutt
10-26-2012, 03:34 PM
That sounds like something I would like to do from now on lol

kira
10-26-2012, 03:55 PM
I usually leave 20%+ if they're not terrible. But that's only because I work at a restaurant myself and know how annoying of a job it is. :P

maksimilian
10-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Depends on the service. If it's a moody place I keep the cash for myself.

Linacake
10-27-2012, 10:37 PM
I might ^^! do they have MSP services?

:') might read a guide on (EVERYTHING) soon, Still feeling a little lost but I managed to understand the profile stuff EHEHE boo yea

+one profile editing skills.

caonima
10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't have a habit of tipping somebody. I believe in giving good feedbacks for the employers to give them extra bonus.

His job is to service and in return I will give a good feedback to acknowledge his service.

OFWGKTA
12-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes, I tip at a rate of 20% at normal restaurants. At more up-scale restaurants, I tip on the end of 30-35 percent. Now if the service is downright poor, I'll tip 5-10 percent.

Love12
12-31-2012, 07:51 AM
I never gave tips, but in my country nobody does that I guess, well I have never heard of that happening in my country..

M.V.P
01-05-2013, 05:50 AM
it depends , for eg. - i simply will not tip an arrogant snob who does not care about the customers demands but i will definitely tip if the person whom goes out of his/her way for customer satisfaction or are simply hard working/needy i will tip them as well.
I usually do not tip the pizza delivery guy they charge extra for a reason lol!!
oh in the higher-end restaurants i do tip quite a considerable amount , say 20-30%:P

kate
01-05-2013, 04:29 PM
i tip every time. when i'm out with my parents they tip way more than is necessary and i think that's a great thing if you can afford it. it's not like i eat out every night. i've never run into a server who was straight up rude to me. if they seem a little cold or impatient i tip them more than i typically would to cheer them up because obviously their life is miserable if they aren't having fun talking to me and taking my order.

npm
01-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Depends on the service. I almost always leave tips for girls (:

Mod
01-05-2013, 05:37 PM
15% is usually what I pay, normal or above-average service.
I'd like to pay more, but I'm a poor college student. 15% of a $50 bill already makes it nearly $60, which is too rich for my blood.

20% if extraordinarily good service, friendly, and I get a liking to them.

0% if below average or bad service.

I tend to only give out those 3 percentages.

sinnerog
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I tend to always give out 10%.

tchaikovsky
01-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Yes, because I get guilty after hearing all my friends mope over their waiting jobs. :rolleyes:

Joelalala
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm sure western countries always (mostly) tip.
For an Asian, here's my opinion, in restaurants we are obliged to pay a 10% service charge on the bill, which supposedly is suppose to be the tip/ charge for the waiter's service. Hence, I do not feel the need for an extra tip, however, if the service was good and the environment was nice, I believe they deserve a good tip.:)

M.V.P
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Joelalala i feel you bro , i lived 2 years in an asian country they charge 12.5% service tax ugh , so why should we tip them ?
I do however when i feel they really deserve it :)
As for western countries correct , we do tip here a bit more often
1.no service tax
2.standard of living and it has become a social norm imo

Joelalala
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Joelalala i feel you bro , i lived 2 years in an asian country they charge 12.5% service tax ugh , so why should we tip them ?
I do however when i feel they really deserve it :)
As for western countries correct , we do tip here a bit more often
1.no service tax
2.standard of living and it has become a social norm imo

How about lower end restaurant or street food? Those without service charge, do you tip them? I mean when you were in Asia.

M.V.P
01-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Joelalala Nah i mean nobody did so why should I , for those whom were really really poor street vendors trying to meet ends meet , i would give them 10% extra maybe which is not much considering the currency value in Asia as im sure you know

Joelalala
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Joelalala Nah i mean nobody did so why should I , for those whom were really really poor street vendors trying to meet ends meet , i would give them 10% extra maybe which is not much considering the currency value in Asia as im sure you know

interesting, may I know where were you born in? Just the country if you were born in the states. If I may know of course, if you don't wanna disclose such information, im fine with that. :)

M.V.P
01-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Joelalala im Australian born , chinese origin

Freja
01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
I never really tip unless they did something extraordinary. It's really not normal to tip here. Although my dad always does it, but he always throws his money around lol. But nope, not really usual for people to do it unless they had really great service. It's always weird to be in another country where it's rude not to :P you have to remember it!

TangoAlaska
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
If it's delivery I always tip $3-4, used to deliver pizza and if I wasn't tipped I wasn't getting paid, feel like I should pay it forward.

Kat
01-09-2013, 07:53 AM
yes? because tipping is sugary, tasty, loving

IndigoSunset
01-09-2013, 09:18 AM
I tip 10% on everything with service(since they're taxed as if they get tips anyway) but wouldn't tip a store assistant or something unless they'd clearly gone above and beyond what I'd expect. I usually tip deliveries that I'm paying cash for, about 10% too, think that's pretty standard for the UK.

Joseph
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I tip 10% on everything with service(since they're taxed as if they get tips anyway) but wouldn't tip a store assistant or something unless they'd clearly gone above and beyond what I'd expect. I usually tip deliveries that I'm paying cash for, about 10% too, think that's pretty standard for the UK.

Same here, except 15%. Most of my friends still work service jobs so I understand whats its like to be paid a few dollars an hour and really rely on tips to make your money.

jaedyn32
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
15% or more depending on quality of service. if they're just terrible i don't bother. but i am usually nice with tips :) i understand too.

thequeen
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I HATE THE AMERICAN POLICY OF TIPPING. OMG drives me NUTS. I'm not cheap or anything, but seriously is it my job to provide for your salary? (sorry waiters/tresses) Employees need to pay more and not pass the burden of supporting their employees on to the customers. As for all other tips, why do you feel you're entitled to extra money for your JOB? That's your job, you're supposed to be doing it right/good, now you're telling me you want extra compensation?? Get outta here!!

music.speaks
01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I worked front desk at a hotel for awhile and quite a few people would try to tip me for giving them directions or recommending restaurants, that kinda thing. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to accept tips ):

But yes, I do tip anyone who is paid through tips. Between 10 and 20 percent unless they were amazing, then I might go a little higher. While I agree that we probably shouldn't be responsible for paying them, we are and they need to get by.

tchaikovsky
01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Yeah I usually try for around 15 or more myself.

Rednox
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
I always tip 20% most times go above 25%. Living in Los Angeles really skewes how much you tip(it's rude to tip below 15% and less than 20% is considered for bad service). dont mind it though, because when I go out, I have already calculated the cost of tip into whatever I'm getting so it isn't a "burden".

Mod
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
I always tip 20% most times go above 25%. Living in Los Angeles really skewes how much you tip(it's rude to tip below 15% and less than 20% is considered for bad service). dont mind it though, because when I go out, I have already calculated the cost of tip into whatever I'm getting so it isn't a "burden".

Holy shit! Living AND eating is expensive in LA.

Teakwood
01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm probably the last person you want to see walk into a restaurant. Not only do I tip for good service, but if they were bad, I leave notes on the table instructing them on how to do their job properly. Then I leave a 1c tip, saying that was all they get.

I do remember one time at an applebees, I had this horrible waitress, she was so bad, that I went to management over it. They called her into the office, and let me have my way with her, explaining why she was a bad waitress (taking money off tables that weren't hers, not refilling our own drinks, and when she watched us get up to refill them, said sorry she wasn't quick enough (while she was just standing around), and then taking shots at the bar). Then they called corporate, and fired the young thing.

I'm a horrible person xD

mediterra
01-18-2013, 12:08 AM
But yes, I do tip anyone who is paid through tips. Between 10 and 20 percent unless they were amazing, then I might go a little higher. While I agree that we probably shouldn't be responsible for paying them, we are and they need to get by.

I think that's a really good guideline. I would rarely go under 10% even if a waiter were really lazy and didn't make any effort to be nice...except once, a waiter in Boston at a well know n seafood place was just an arrogant ass who thought he was doing me a huge favor to bring food out to me while turning his nose up at me and my friends. I left him a 10% tip anyway, but then he stopped me as I was getting up to leave the table and says to me "it is customary to tip 20% for good service around here (accompanied by the nastiest, condescending attitude)", so I just walked back to the table, and said "yeah 10% was too much to pay someone who made my day less enjoyable", and picked up another $5 and walked out. Actually, I was ready to do that, because I heard him use the same line on another customer 10 mins earlier.

connor
01-18-2013, 12:18 AM
For cabs, I leave very low tips because they don't work on tips. I may leave 5-15 percent depending on the driver, company, and ride amount. However, for restaurants, and working in the restaurant business, I really cant stress how tips really go around (and the importance). I leave to start with 15 percent (not depending on quality) and if they even did a decent job I will leave another 5%.

tchaikovsky
01-18-2013, 02:41 AM
Cabs, I tend to tip a little less, I'll agree on that. And although the restaurant tips mean a lot, I'm not about to go and tip someone who's been a really bad at waiting our table, albeit I will still tip a small amount.

janikanicolepi
01-18-2013, 04:49 AM
Yes or no?

Explain.

I always tip if I dine in. I always tip 10% for lunch and 15~20% for dinner. It also varies on the quality of the food and service /and how luxurious the restaurant. I always tips regardless because if I was in the waiter's position, who worked their butts off....i would definitely appreciate the extra tip [sometimes it's like extra 1~2 hours worth of pay for them]. I worked as a waiter for half a year....its not easy and it's uses a lot of energy walking around. Plus people always asking for their ketchup or their mayos or A1 sause.....

I never tip a Cab driver.....because they always charge me an arm and a leg. 50 dollar for a 15 mins trip :/

I tip the baggage handler before ..... but it's always less than 5 dollar.

moonrash
01-22-2013, 05:26 AM
I TRY to tip, never by a percentage though. I usually just round up a couple bucks and make it an even number or something, I can't afford no 20% bs (even though sometimes I wish I could)

It's just dumb. Everyone should be paid the same. And when I KNOW people are paid minimum wage, PLUS get tips, I'm very grumpy about giving a tip. I make minimum wage, I'm a cashier and I have to stand in one spot all day, bag groceries, bend and twist and reach all day, smile and be friendly, serve hundreds of people in a day, count cash etc, and I don't get a tip???

Most of it is "tradition"... tip your server, tip your valet, tip your hairdresser.... dumb, dumb, dumb. My work has employees that will take customers out to their cars rain or shine, and put the groceries into customer's trunks.... they aren't ALLOWED to be tipped or accept money.

The whole tipping thing should just stop. Or it should be that you're allowed to accept tips at ANY job, if someone is KIND enough to want to give you money, and likes your service that much. Then you should feel proud. But a server feeling OBLIGATED to a tip?? I just paid for my meal, take some money out of that why don't you.

/bitter (and poor)

mediterra
01-22-2013, 07:35 PM
I TRY to tip, never by a percentage though. I usually just round up a couple bucks and make it an even number or something, I can't afford no 20% bs (even though sometimes I wish I could)

It's just dumb. Everyone should be paid the same. And when I KNOW people are paid minimum wage, PLUS get tips, I'm very grumpy about giving a tip. I make minimum wage, I'm a cashier and I have to stand in one spot all day, bag groceries, bend and twist and reach all day, smile and be friendly, serve hundreds of people in a day, count cash etc, and I don't get a tip???

Most of it is "tradition"... tip your server, tip your valet, tip your hairdresser.... dumb, dumb, dumb. My work has employees that will take customers out to their cars rain or shine, and put the groceries into customer's trunks.... they aren't ALLOWED to be tipped or accept money.

The whole tipping thing should just stop. Or it should be that you're allowed to accept tips at ANY job, if someone is KIND enough to want to give you money, and likes your service that much. Then you should feel proud. But a server feeling OBLIGATED to a tip?? I just paid for my meal, take some money out of that why don't you.

/bitter (and poor)

Many waiters don't get paid minimum wage + tips...even though they're guaranteed to make minimum wage--after tips. I know some make about 1/2 of minimum wage, but then make more than minimum wage after tips. The tips system began as in incentive to provide better service.

moonrash
01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Many waiters don't get paid minimum wage + tips...even though they're guaranteed to make minimum wage--after tips. I know some make about 1/2 of minimum wage, but then make more than minimum wage after tips. The tips system began as in incentive to provide better service.

D: Well, I don't know. Where I live (Canada, west coast), they always seem to be making at least minimum, without tips. Soo.... I dunno.

shux
01-24-2013, 02:51 AM
you have to get paid minimum wage... Otherwise it would be illegal and my x use to make like 180 bucks on a 4 hour shift. So they must make pretty good coin if they are sexy.

Mr. 49
05-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Always. 10-15% is average, less for bad service. If you love the service, 20% is great. My dad almost always tips 25% when we go out together as a family.

However, at restaurants where they force gratuity on you, we never tip well. Our family is large and we typically dine out with 8+ people at once, and once we see that forced gratuity we figure you just lost yourself a great tip.

Jolz
05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
You don't need to tip in England. Some do, some don't. If you have had a very nice meal and the service was nice you might leave �5 (about $10ish) or leave some change in the tip jar but thats about it.

Pusheen
05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Depends a lot, about the place, the food I'm getting and how the personal has treated me.

For example, when I ask a cheap meal I never tip. For example, just a hot chocolate.
But when there's a pizza/sushi delivery, I do tip if they came in time and didn't take too long.
While on restaurants, asking for a normal service, I do tip all it's needed. Unless I get a bad attention.

Kevin!
05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
For me it all depends where i am and who i am with and if the service is good - i generally tip unless people give me a reason not to.

miffie166
05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
It really depends on the service but I hate it when they force gratuity on you, especially if the service was just plain bad.

ItzHisoka
05-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I always tip at least 10%, if the service is good 20% or better. If the service is bad I will let the manager know and never eat there again.

Sylveon
05-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Omg this was just a debate in my house last night. We ordered Chinese and the guy was unhappy with his tip. Literally bitched us out at the door and everything. First of all, it's not REQUIRED that you tip when food is delivered, at least not that I'm aware of. It's an act of kindness and appreciation for the people who made your food. So rude. You don't need a 10 dollar tip for 15 dollars worth of food, buddy. Ugh, end of rant. To answer the question, YES. I always tip. It takes a lot to push me to the point of even thinking of lowering the amount.

Subtate
05-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Ever when i'm at a restaurant (10%)

anaraconda
05-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Yes, my parents always taught me to tip 20% of whatever we pay for. Usually this is in salons, restaurants and other services that involve people waiting on you. I look upon as common courtesy for people who go out of their way to serve you.

marianokt
05-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah, always 15%. I guess it's just a habbit. Only when it's good service.

torque
05-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Standard tipping is 20%, 15% for lukewarm/bad service, 10% is the service was terrible. Caveat: this is in an expensive area of the US.

Waiters are taxed at 15% tips regardless of the tips they actually make and make no net hourly wage (i.e. under minimum wage therefore it all goes to social security, etc.); between 25-40% of a waiter's tips go to pay the bartender, bussers, etc. (depending on the restaurant's policies).

10% tip means your waiter just paid for part of your meal. Carryout is a different story since they make over minimum wage.