Thread: Gay Marriage?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    2d 4h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Oh, I wasn't trying to reprimand you @(you need an account to see links), just trying to maintain the civility of how debate should be before anything escalated (which I don't think it did)

I think we're all good now

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benny For This Useful Post:

Tablo (06-12-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    461 times
    Time Online
    69d 14h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Opinions can go from a way to another and some people can take it some ways that are incorrect. For example, most people would say that what Hitler did was horribly wrong and when someone tries to open another door, saying that at the time, people thought that way and felt this way about some type of people, they get completely destroyed by others, when in fact, this is exactly what happened. It was horrible, yes, but it is a part of history and even if people can hate Hitler as much as they want, the man still took over most Europe and had a reign of terror that most empiric dictators never even dreamed to have.

Homosexuality is a bit of the same thing, with a lot of differences, however. I'm gay and I had a lot of trouble realizing it. I thought a lot about myself and how I felt and I realized that all my life all that have attracted me in certain ways is the male person. I was too shy to approach any guys so I hung out with girls all the time, but I don't -look- gay (sorry if that hurts anyone) and I don't have the very stereotyped behavior of gays (by the way, most gay people act pretty normal in real life).

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on the subject, it's 2014 and things are moving in this particular subject, especially in the US or France, or even Ouganda who has recently adopted a law that would banish homosexuality by sentencing all gays to death. Again, their country, their opinions.

However what I have a hard time dealing with is the change of comportment that people have when they learn that someone is homosexual. I think everyone has the right to think what they want to think and to prefer not to interact with people that do not follow what they think is the right choice (life-mode speaking). It has happened once in my life before, in a work situation, where I had met this really nice person, we had a bunch of interests in common and had a nice friendship, nothing more for me and clearly not for him. Don't get me wrong, I don't introduce myself saying : '' Hey, I'm Math and I'm gay nice to meet you '', but he learned some way because I'm not ashamed of who I am.

A thing leading to another, he stopped talking to me, stopped answering his texts and when I asked him why, he only said that he wasn't interested in talking with someone like me. This was a very hard moment in my life because it was the first time I had to deal with what could have been homophobia or just a simple fear that I was 'interested' in him, which I obviously denied.

To sum up, I think everyone has the right to feel the way they want about this delicate subject, but when you have a friend, someone you get along with, please don't reject them if one day they admit their orientation to you. This hurts a lot, especially when you really care about the other person.

That's what I had to say.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maths For This Useful Post:

Cheese (01-25-2015),cibomatto (11-23-2014),Cub (06-13-2014),Tablo (06-12-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    220 times
    Time Online
    38d 18h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maths View Post
    Opinions can go from a way to another and some people can take it some ways that are incorrect. For example, most people would say that what Hitler did was horribly wrong and when someone tries to open another door, saying that at the time, people thought that way and felt this way about some type of people, they get completely destroyed by others, when in fact, this is exactly what happened. It was horrible, yes, but it is a part of history and even if people can hate Hitler as much as they want, the man still took over most Europe and had a reign of terror that most empiric dictators never even dreamed to have.

Homosexuality is a bit of the same thing, with a lot of differences, however. I'm gay and I had a lot of trouble realizing it. I thought a lot about myself and how I felt and I realized that all my life all that have attracted me in certain ways is the male person. I was too shy to approach any guys so I hung out with girls all the time, but I don't -look- gay (sorry if that hurts anyone) and I don't have the very stereotyped behavior of gays (by the way, most gay people act pretty normal in real life).

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on the subject, it's 2014 and things are moving in this particular subject, especially in the US or France, or even Ouganda who has recently adopted a law that would banish homosexuality by sentencing all gays to death. Again, their country, their opinions.

However what I have a hard time dealing with is the change of comportment that people have when they learn that someone is homosexual. I think everyone has the right to think what they want to think and to prefer not to interact with people that do not follow what they think is the right choice (life-mode speaking). It has happened once in my life before, in a work situation, where I had met this really nice person, we had a bunch of interests in common and had a nice friendship, nothing more for me and clearly not for him. Don't get me wrong, I don't introduce myself saying : '' Hey, I'm Math and I'm gay nice to meet you '', but he learned some way because I'm not ashamed of who I am.

A thing leading to another, he stopped talking to me, stopped answering his texts and when I asked him why, he only said that he wasn't interested in talking with someone like me. This was a very hard moment in my life because it was the first time I had to deal with what could have been homophobia or just a simple fear that I was 'interested' in him, which I obviously denied.

To sum up, I think everyone has the right to feel the way they want about this delicate subject, but when you have a friend, someone you get along with, please don't reject them if one day they admit their orientation to you. This hurts a lot, especially when you really care about the other person.

That's what I had to say.
    Personally been there, but in a different, yet very similar way. (Kicked out, havnt spoken to family in years..) Great post, sorry you went through that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    My thoughts on gay marriage in a nutshell: do whatever you wanna do, because its your life and its not hurting anybody so whats there to be against.

People need to stop trying to dictate other peoples lives. I mean the majority of this world is free and we are able to do what we want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cub For This Useful Post:

Tablo (06-13-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    2d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Doesn't matter none to me, make it harder to get a divorce or to remarry (for everyone) and you'll see alot of issues work themselves out. People won't marry for a title anymore, since really, there is no perk to marriage (unless you are practice certain religions that ban homosexuality anyhow).

The main governmental perks of marriage are all covered under civil unions, which alot of states (in the US) allow. Marriage just affords you a different 'title'

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommy View Post
    Doesn't matter none to me, make it harder to get a divorce or to remarry (for everyone) and you'll see alot of issues work themselves out. People won't marry for a title anymore, since really, there is no perk to marriage (unless you are practice certain religions that ban homosexuality anyhow).

The main governmental perks of marriage are all covered under civil unions, which alot of states (in the US) allow. Marriage just affords you a different 'title'
    Here are some rights that married couples have that domestic partners (people in a civil union, gay or straight) may not have, depending on their state.

1. Taking a leave from work to care for a sick spouse under the Family Medical Leave Act and have unlimited visitation privileges if spouse is hospitalized.
    2. Making medical decisions for sick spouse when spouse is unable.
    3. Social Security survivor benefits for the widow/widower.
    4. Inheriting deceased spouse's assets without incurring any tax.
    5. Tax breaks

As of March 26, 2014, (you need an account to see links):

Of the 17 states that recognize civil unions and domestic partnerships (gay or straight), only eight states have granted nearly similar rights to married couples and domestic partners (gay or straight), while 9 other states still "give out" straight common-law marriages, which is a whole other mess.

I wouldn't call 26 out of 55 a lot, but I guess I'm just being pedantic now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onid For This Useful Post:

cibomatto (11-23-2014),Tablo (06-13-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 17h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Honestly, I just think it opens the door for other types of people who also expect the right to be married. Ever hear of NAMBLA?

I don't believe in homosexuality and feel it's a sin. I don't think you're born with it. I think it's a choice you make. If I have two cars to choose from and pick the mustang over the beetle, it doesn't mean I was born to like a mustang... it means I'm choosing the one I like more.

Look at the dictionary definition:

mar�riage
    ˈmarij/Submit
    noun
    the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    2d 4h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    @(you need an account to see links) Honestly that's a horrible and insulting false equivalence. And it can be applied the exact same way to straight people.... so do you CHOOSE to like chicks? Of course not. You have no choice whether or not you get hard seeing a man or a woman.

In this unfortunately bigoted age, why the fuck would anyone CHOOSE to be gay?

And the dictionary definition wildly differs depending where you look. This is how dictionary.com defines it:

1. (broadly) any of the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities and including, for example, opposite-sex marriage, same-sex marriage, plural marriage, and arranged marriage

Also... why does what the dictionary matter says? You just follow what a book tells you to follow? You realize the dictionary wasn't handed down to us by someone in the sky, they are written by humans and as such reflect the era that they are written in. And dictionaries are constantly changing.

And I can't believe you had the audacity to compare gay people and pedophiles. The difference is that gay adults are TWO CONSENTING ADULTS, NOT A CREEPY GUY MOLESTING A CHILD THAT CAN'T CONSENT.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benny For This Useful Post:

Cheese (01-25-2015),MyL (06-14-2014),onid (06-15-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    11d 2h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrastic View Post
    Honestly, I just think it opens the door for other types of people who also expect the right to be married. Ever hear of NAMBLA?

I don't believe in homosexuality and feel it's a sin. I don't think you're born with it. I think it's a choice you make. If I have two cars to choose from and pick the mustang over the beetle, it doesn't mean I was born to like a mustang... it means I'm choosing the one I like more.

mar�riage
    ˈmarij/Submit
    noun
    the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.
    Ooookay... lots to tackle here.

Here is an awesome video that covers some fairly broad topics about homosexuality: (you need an account to see links)

That video goes over the biology in being gay, as well as listing several animals that can be homosexual in nature, and explains why, in fact, it is not a choice. And speaking of it being a choice... why the hell would you choose something that is the harder path? Why would you CHOOSE to have a life filled with ridicule and hate?

Also, I'm gonna second what Benny said. The difference is that gay marriage is between two consenting adults. The slippery slope argument does nothing for me, because things like pedophilia and bestiality contain one partner that cannot consent.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spike For This Useful Post:

Benny (06-14-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 23h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrastic View Post

mar�riage
    ˈmarij/Submit
    noun

I feel sorry for you.
    It must be hard being that stupid.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Cheese (01-25-2015),onid (06-15-2014),simmie (06-14-2014)