Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of instruments do ya'll play!?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Cool What kind of instruments do ya'll play!?

Just curious to see how many musicians we have here ;D

I play Flute and Piccolo currently and have been since I was 12 (yay for high pitched, screeching, annoying woodwinds!)

I have a violin I somewhat know how to play~ (Hey, at least I know where the notes are...)

and I know how to play the chimes/marimba/xylophone >> (got stuck doing it during marching band back in high school)

And for the non-musicians, what instrument WOULD you want to learn? Guitar? Strings? Wind?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    4d 4h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I played piano when I was younger. And by that, I mean I knew like two proper songs, haha. But I loved experimenting and messing around on it.

I'd love to learn guitar but I don't have enough time to devote to it at the moment. My husband's played guitar for 10+ years now and I'm not sure I could handle him picking me apart just yet, so I try to find time to do it when he's not around, which is difficult.

I've thought about trying to learn violin because I find the sound so enchanting, but I'm rrreally not that musically inclined. I really ought to start with like the triangle or something. u_u

What started you playing instruments when you were younger?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    149 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I've played piano for 9 years, guitar for 8, and percussion for 7. I used to be a music major at my college, but I just switched.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,166 times
    Time Online
    558d 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Took piano lessons on and off in elementary school. I'm not good, but sometimes I fiddle around.

I've also tried forever to learn guitar, but I just don't seem to ever get any better. Part of it was that I didn't practice when I was younger, but I even took an actual class for credit in college and I forgot everything as soon as it ended. My hand just cramps up and it never felt natural and muscle memory never kicked in. I still hold on to my guitar, though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjay View Post
    I played piano when I was younger. And by that, I mean I knew like two proper songs, haha. But I loved experimenting and messing around on it.

I'd love to learn guitar but I don't have enough time to devote to it at the moment. My husband's played guitar for 10+ years now and I'm not sure I could handle him picking me apart just yet, so I try to find time to do it when he's not around, which is difficult.

I've thought about trying to learn violin because I find the sound so enchanting, but I'm rrreally not that musically inclined. I really ought to start with like the triangle or something. u_u

What started you playing instruments when you were younger?
    Yeah I feel you on the guitar part. I dated two guys with godly guitar skills, but unfortunately the guitar and I don't get along...It's so hard to learn to play it xD And naaaah, I don't think your husband would pick on you in fact I think he'd be excited and really would want to help you! And believe it or not, the triangle isn't that easy My old band director would say "There's a technique for everything! Even the triangle!" Which is totally true! I'd get into details but I'll chill with the Triangle Talk~

Quote Originally Posted by SCf3 View Post
    I've played piano for 9 years, guitar for 8, and percussion for 7. I used to be a music major at my college, but I just switched.
    HAHA Oh no, what happened!? You were on a roll and all those years of experience...GONE. But I'm really curious, on why you changed majors? Was it because your heart wasn't in it anymore, or did you realize it's hard to survive in the world as a musician?

Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    Took piano lessons on and off in elementary school. I'm not good, but sometimes I fiddle around.

I've also tried forever to learn guitar, but I just don't seem to ever get any better. Part of it was that I didn't practice when I was younger, but I even took an actual class for credit in college and I forgot everything as soon as it ended. My hand just cramps up and it never felt natural and muscle memory never kicked in. I still hold on to my guitar, though.
    PFFFT, How can you have forgotten so quickly!? I mean, I think it's better to learn an instrument as long as you practice, but sadly this wasn't the case for you! (For shame, you should have practiced, tsk tsk ) But I can understand not getting used to the hand positions and comfort of it, it took me a long time to get comfortable on my violin. The fingers would be stiff and it was so hard to press down on the strings... Sorry to hear that, but hey yeah it's important to hold on to those memories by keeping that guitar~ You could leave it out to display and make people believe you're a guitarist

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    149 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    @(you need an account to see links) My heart wasn't in it anymore, to put a long story short. I knew it was going to be hard with life as a musician.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,166 times
    Time Online
    558d 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    @(you need an account to see links) I did practice when I was older. I meant more I didn't practice the few times I tried lessons between the ages of 10-16 ish.
    I'm not sure how I forgot so quickly. I did fairly well in the class and whatnot, but I don't know.

I managed to take my guitar out of storage this month after it's been tucked there for a couple years.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    6h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    DID ANYBODY ELSE ALSO TAKE PIANO?

Jokes aside, Trombone in elementary + high school.

It's been collecting dust in a case since then.
    Last edited by Chrome; 10-04-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    158/9
    Mentioned
    217 times
    Time Online
    54d 9h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Forced as a child to play the recorder.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    169/0
    Mentioned
    273 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I played the clarinet in middle school, I was never very good at it though.