Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ☆ CANADIANS ☆ and people of other beautiful countries!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    Bagged Milk tastes fine! 3.97 for 6L of milk, why not?

And toronto has some amazing stores you can get like nice brand name/popular clothing for cheap. if you dont mind the cold and house prices, worth a shot!

Exactly!!! And I can spend my taxes on things like real healthcare instead of trillion dollar oil wars. And I can buy good milk in cheap bags instead of good milk in glass bottles that I have to return for my deposit. And I love the cold because I hate the hot and I have like 50 amazing fall/winter outfits. And ice hockey. And the fact that unarmed citizens don't get shot in your streets. And that you don't enter into unnecessary wars, or get dragged into them ever. And British Colombia. And learning French (even if it is a Canadian version). And peace and love and decency. And deep sea fishing. And the amazing school systems.

I swear to god if you guys don't see me around for the next few months it's because the NSA is busy waterboarding me in Guantanamo bay for all the shit I've talked about how much America actually sucks. Or, I'll get shot up in some security dispute, and a few days later, completely unrelated "incriminating pics" will appear proving how guilty I was.

I'm sorry, Facebook and new your times articles have gotten the best of me. I'm in total rant mode right now.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Compulsiv View Post
    Exactly!!! And I can spend my taxes on things like real healthcare instead of trillion dollar oil wars. And I can buy good milk in cheap bags instead of good milk in glass bottles that I have to return for my deposit. And I love the cold because I hate the hot and I have like 50 amazing fall/winter outfits. And ice hockey. And the fact that unarmed citizens don't get shot in your streets. And that you don't enter into unnecessary wars, or get dragged into them ever. And British Colombia. And learning French (even if it is a Canadian version). And peace and love and decency. And deep sea fishing. And the amazing school systems.

I swear to god if you guys don't see me around for the next few months it's because the NSA is busy waterboarding me in Guantanamo bay for all the shit I've talked about how much America actually sucks. Or, I'll get shot up in some security dispute, and a few days later, completely unrelated "incriminating pics" will appear proving how guilty I was.

I'm sorry, Facebook and new your times articles have gotten the best of me. I'm in total rant mode right now.
    amazing if you live in the right neighborhood NOT PEEL DISTRICT AVOID

the only difference with our french is the accent, mainly. otherwise you have tons of units depending on the district and province, and depending on the place you could be taken out on a trip to a french resturant to practice.

you just need to find a place with the right support system, it'll make it better.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to simmie For This Useful Post:

Compulsiv (08-20-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter1ty View Post
    School system is severely inadequate. Grades are inflated and students are allowed to move on too easily during elementary and high school. The only province to get it remotely right is BC with its standardized testing but it's still far from many school systems. I've seen many fellow classmates with "95+ averages" end up with 60-70 average in university or failing. To get an adequate education and to allow developmental growth for children, you'd have to look into private schools. There are far too many substandard teachers in the system receiving high pay.

Employment wise, it depends on the industry you're in. Top tier student from a well-known school in finance? You'll be offered a one year contract for a junior position quite easily but so will 9 others. After that year is up, only one of you is hired unless you have connections. Otherwise, you're back in the pool against many other newer applicants. Accounting? You can try in Alberta but the majority of British Columbia, Quebec, and Ontario (more desirable provinces) are saturated. Teaching? Extremely low chance of viability. Healthcare? Depends.

Also, it's not easy to emigrate to Canada for long-term residency...can't just walk on over and stay (would be penalized if you overstay your visa limitations and to get a visa in the first place for long term residency is difficult without some form of sponsorship/indication that you have a job lined up).
    Substandard schooling or not, isn't it free? This may be my ignorant fucking American knowledge speaking, but don't you have FREE college education system? Maybe not free, it is obviously paid for through taxes, but you can go if you choose and not come out tens of thousands of dollars in debt?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    we dont have free college/secondary school education o.o

still gotta pay/get student loans
    also university is the highest

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    amazing if you live in the right neighborhood NOT PEEL DISTRICT AVOID

the only difference with our french is the accent, mainly. otherwise you have tons of units depending on the district and province, and depending on the place you could be taken out on a trip to a french resturant to practice.

you just need to find a place with the right support system, it'll make it better.

Exactly. I lived in Germany for a little while, and do you know what most of the world calls people that speak only one language? Americans. Lol

Look, I have many things to be thankful for here that I don't take for granted. But we are so far from being the best contry in the world it isn't even funny.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter1ty View Post
    School system is severely inadequate. Grades are inflated and students are allowed to move on too easily during elementary and high school. The only province to get it remotely right is BC with its standardized testing but it's still far from many school systems. I've seen many fellow classmates with "95+ averages" end up with 60-70 average in university or failing. To get an adequate education and to allow developmental growth for children, you'd have to look into private schools. There are far too many substandard teachers in the system receiving high pay.

Employment wise, it depends on the industry you're in. Top tier student from a well-known school in finance? You'll be offered a one year contract for a junior position quite easily but so will 9 others. After that year is up, only one of you is hired unless you have connections. Otherwise, you're back in the pool against many other newer applicants. Accounting? You can try in Alberta but the majority of British Columbia, Quebec, and Ontario (more desirable provinces) are saturated. Teaching? Extremely low chance of viability. Healthcare? Depends.

Also, it's not easy to emigrate to Canada for long-term residency...can't just walk on over and stay (would be penalized if you overstay your visa limitations and to get a visa in the first place for long term residency is difficult without some form of sponsorship/indication that you have a job lined up).
    I agree with all of this. I was talking more about the OSAP benefits and student loans for students. Also, paying $3,000 a year for college is a steal xD

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bettser For This Useful Post:

Compulsiv (08-20-2014),♥ Munna ♥ (08-21-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    we dont have free college/secondary school education o.o

still gotta pay/get student loans
    also university is the highest
    Ah, I thought you guys had a socialized school system. Is that only healthcare then? Forgive my ignorance, I actually don't know l

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Ah, I thought you guys had a socialized school system. Is that only healthcare then? Forgive my ignorance, I actually don't know l
    "free" healthcare to an extent yes
    i know in ontario personally has OHIP

(you need an account to see links)

we have a lovely selection of pharmacies, one that sells more makeup than perscriptions even

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettser View Post
    I agree with all of this. I was talking more about the OSAP benefits and student loans for students. Also, paying $3,000 a year for college is a steal xD
    Srsly. I have the benefit of having a child young, my school was paid for and I had money left over to spend. But for the average American that didn't have a child at 19, isn't living on welfare and god forbid you're a single male making decent money, you will pay out the ass for school. Including ridiculous interest rates on loans.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 5m
    Srsly. I have the benefit of having a child young, my school was paid for and I had money left over to spend. But for the average American that didn't have a child at 19, isn't living on welfare and god forbid you're a single male making decent money, you will pay out the ass for school. Including ridiculous interest rates on loans.
    I applied as an independent (have to be 21+ to do this), and they gave $13,800 for the year for school. My course costed $3,000 for the year. The maximum they can ask you to pay back is apparently around $7000-$8000 through OSAP. They only wanted $6,400 from me. I ignored their emails and calls for a year, and they gave me a $1,200 grant so I only had to pay back $5200 out of $13,800