DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    20d 18h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    @(you need an account to see links) I agree. The thing about strep throat is that it's easy to treat but is really dangerous if it gets into the blood. Measles is more difficult to treat but in a hospital situation we would isolate patients with measles immediately in a negative-pressure room until they were well.

Healthcare is messy everywhere aagh D:

Side note: here in New Zealand we have a huge rheumatic fever/rheumatic heart disease problem. It's a disease of poverty that should never happen here, but it does. I'm not sure what the haps is with RF in the States but I imagine it's in a similar state, and incidents like these don't help!

i'm back baybeeee | nfi what i'm doing tho

avatar/signature images from a erwin/levi sfw doujin by hakodume/tama;
    their pixiv is sadly deactivated

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but because I work over 30 hours, and because I don't want to pay for a shit plan that is doubled the price than what my original insurance was (included dental, hospitalization, yearly, accidental) I am being fined because I'm going without. The ACA also known to the majority of American's as the Obama-care is a scam in itself. I'm lucky my father has medicare but my mother and I are screwed under the stipulations of the "plan." It needs to be fixed before it's implemented.
    Admittedly it's really unfortunate that the healthy have to pay higher prices for insurance, so that those who otherwise couldn't afford it (eg. the elderly, others who are really sick) can get their expensive medical bills covered My dad isn't really happy with it, because he doesn't believe in the idea of him and my mom having to work hard to cover other peoples' health costs (that's the way he sees it).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Admittedly it's really unfortunate that the healthy have to pay higher prices for insurance, so that those who otherwise couldn't afford it (eg. the elderly, others who are really sick) can get their expensive medical bills covered My dad isn't really happy with it, because he doesn't believe in the idea of him and my mom having to work hard to cover other peoples' health costs (that's the way he sees it).
    That's basically my view of it as well, sort of. I agree it really sucks having to work hard to cover other people, but I am just happy to be able to afford it and be happy. Some people were just born with illnesses that make their lives so difficult. When it comes down to it, I don't mind helping people out as far as their health is concerned.

But my opinion carries over in a much stronger sense to those who abuse the other systems like welfare and such. I got so pissed when people at work who have food stamps were saying they could go to certain places and "sell" their food stamps for cash, which they then went and used for other purposes -_-
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    59/0
    Mentioned
    115 times
    Time Online
    14d 9h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I agree with your father. I don't see the need for my hard earned money, with dealing with people intoxicated 6-7 days a week needs to go to someone who isn't myself. What's a real shame is that Seniors who weren't on Medicaid/Medicare but were with Blue-Cross-Blue-Shield and other insurance providers were dropped from their Cadillac plans and forced either to go into the exchange, go to Medicare/Medicaid, or just go without insurance. An example of what the ACA is trying to do is force the people into a Single-payer system which is what the UK has and my friends who go to school and live there say they have to wait hours, weeks, months, to see a doctor or if they have go for an emergency (ie: being beaten)
    Edit: However I do not mind paying for those who truly need it: Veterans, homeless, those who aren't trying to slime their way through. That isn't what is happening though.
    I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy,
    the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.
    J A G E R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jager For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (07-01-2014)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Yeah, I'm also in that boat where I want to help the people who really need it, but when people "accept" the help but just do their own thing with it (or when they abuse the system in other ways), it just makes me so sad.

I support the idea behind the Affordable Care Act, I do feel like the price of the insurance needs to reflect the name: AFFORDABLE! If Jager says the new price of insurance is so high that she can't live on her salary if she WERE paying for it... well then, that's not affordable, is it? The point is to help those who need help WITHOUT turning those who could've sustained themselves before INTO people who need help!
    Last edited by Foxglove; 07-01-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: I am so so sorry, I think I mixed up your gender the first time! :( :(

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Yeah, I'm also in that boat where I want to help the people who really need it, but when people "accept" the help but just do their own thing with it (or when they abuse the system in other ways), it just makes me so sad.

I support the idea behind the Affordable Care Act, I do feel like the price of the insurance needs to reflect the name: AFFORDABLE! If Jager says the new price of insurance is so high that he can't live on his salary if he WERE paying for it... well then, that's not affordable, is it? The point is to help those who need help WITHOUT turning those who could've sustained themselves before INTO people who need help!
    It really is a tough thing to figure out. There are always going to be those people who try to abuse the system somehow... they are everywhere! I have a good example of this. A family friend works in helping oversee insurance frauds cases and such. There was somebody who was submitting a bill to the insurance company (paid in full by the company) for a new wheelchair every week. They would then turn around and sell the wheelchair. It's crazy the ingenuity of some people. If they only applied that in a constructive manner they wouldn't need assistance.

I'm under my parents insurance atm because it's much cheaper than if I were to venture out and get my own. If I had to cover that by myself, on top of everything else it definitely wouldn't be affordable. It's a giant mess x.x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (07-01-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 times
    Time Online
    37d 18h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Illegal immigration is a huge issue for me because I'm somewhat affected by it personally. My grandmother came here with her family from Yugoslavia back when it was still around. It was a really tough time for her them as they were sent to a concentration camp, and her little sister even died there. Her father managed to break them all out of there, and they wanted OUT of that country. Despite the trials they suffered though, they still worked their asses off to come to America LEGALLY. I can't believe how some illegals expect to be treated just like American citizens when they aren't. o.o God I hope Obama doesn't do something stupid (which he inevitably will I guess) to legalize all these freaking illegal immigrants. If you want to be an American citizen, I get it. Just go through the process needed in order to become a respectable legal American and not an illegal who mooches off the system.

I get reallllllllly fired up about this stuff.

Thanks Anne <3

S W E E T S

Thanks Minty and Fruity! <3

10. The Following User Says Thank You to baileaf For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-01-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlikesugar View Post
    Illegal immigration is a huge issue for me because I'm somewhat affected by it personally. My grandmother came here with her family from Yugoslavia back when it was still around. It was a really tough time for her them as they were sent to a concentration camp, and her little sister even died there. Her father managed to break them all out of there, and they wanted OUT of that country. Despite the trials they suffered though, they still worked their asses off to come to America LEGALLY. I can't believe how some illegals expect to be treated just like American citizens when they aren't. o.o God I hope Obama doesn't do something stupid (which he inevitably will I guess) to legalize all these freaking illegal immigrants. If you want to be an American citizen, I get it. Just go through the process needed in order to become a respectable legal American and not an illegal who mooches off the system.

I get reallllllllly fired up about this stuff.
    I know the feeling!

I'm with you. If they want to be a citizen, there is a process to become a citizen for a reason. Just because a TON of people have chosen to bypass that process, I don't think we should be forced to change or even forgo that system. They need to gtfo or follow the rules. But like you said, Obama will surely do something stupid sooner or later. He has already said that he will use executive order to get around the house or senate or whoever else stands in his way. I guess being from Kenya, he understands how tough it is for immigrants

12. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

baileaf (07-01-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 times
    Time Online
    37d 18h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I know the feeling!

I'm with you. If they want to be a citizen, there is a process to become a citizen for a reason. Just because a TON of people have chosen to bypass that process, I don't think we should be forced to change or even forgo that system. They need to gtfo or follow the rules. But like you said, Obama will surely do something stupid sooner or later. He has already said that he will use executive order to get around the house or senate or whoever else stands in his way. I guess being from Kenya, he understands how tough it is for immigrants
    Oh my god I love you. xD

Thanks Anne <3

S W E E T S

Thanks Minty and Fruity! <3

14. The Following User Says Thank You to baileaf For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-01-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    5d 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Icebox View Post
    As a nurse, this freaks me out. Measles and strep throat especially can be VERY bad news if they become complex, and with all these looney anti-vaccine parents running around raising children unvaccinated for measles... eep.
    Anti-vaccine people get me riled up more than anything else in the world. I can't even look at a picture of Jenny McCarthy without wanting to throw something. Like good job on killing children, bitch.

I really don't know a huge amount about the American healthcare system but from an outsider's perspective it seems like a permanent shitstorm, no-one seems happy with it. I guess being brought up in the UK with a national health service makes the idea of paying for insurance seem totally bizarre to me. I know the system here is far from perfect but when people complain about it it bothers me; at the end of the day if you walk outside and get hit by a car we'll fix you and the cost just doesn't matter, and if you don't like that then you're more than welcome to go private. But yeah... we'll see how our government decide to ruin all that.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katieee For This Useful Post:

baileaf (07-02-2014),I_royalty_I (07-02-2014)