DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    131 times
    Time Online
    46d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    I'm in the minority but I was on Depo before and had a good experience. It didn't affect my sex drive, mood, or make me gain any weight. I also didn't have a period while on it.

I don't need BC now though because my husband ended up having a vasectomy.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I haven't had a natural period in 7 years but was put on some birth control when I was 18 - Aviane, I think - to help with some acne issues I had at the time. The side effects were awful and I ended up going off of it and then switching over to Accutane for my acne.

My mom had a Mirena put in last year and has nothing but bad side effects. She can't sleep, has intense hot sweats and is incredibly irritable and hard to deal with. It's really affecting her life in a negative way and I'm trying to convince her to get it removed and ask for a different option. I've heard that everybody has different experiences with it, but from what I've seen with her I personally wouldn't vouch for it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've been using Nuva Ring for 6 years and I haven't had any problems with it. It actually shortened my periods from 7-9 days down to 5 days.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2d 9h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I used to use Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo... was sometimes bad at remembering so I switched to Nuvaring.
    Nuvaring was really great and I was a big fan and I like you started to consider an IUD.
    I ended up going with nexplanon/implanon.... it's the implant about the size of a matchstick in your arm. My insurance paid for it 100%.
    The insertion process was easy but your arm is definitely sore for about a week. I love it though! The implant is good for 3 years and it has been so nice not having to go refill a prescription every month. It contains progestrin which is really good for you so that's partially why i was excited to try it vs an estrogen solution. It's more effective than the pill. Defintely worth looking into IMO

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I've been on the patch before. It was ok, I kinda had an allergic reaction to it on my shoulder though. And the fact that once I wore it somewhere visible and someone told me I shouldn't because it gives off the wrong message like I'm a whore or something. Jackass. Not everyone is on birth control for pregnancy protection.

I have no idea what pill I'm on right now, but I'm on a pill. The one for if you don't get migraines. I asked the nurse prescribing it to me about taking it at the exact same time every day and she said it's ok if I don't. Thank god.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I have no idea what pill I'm on right now, but I'm on a pill. The one for if you don't get migraines. I asked the nurse prescribing it to me about taking it at the exact same time every day and she said it's ok if I don't. Thank god.
    The box will tell you which pill you are on. As for time, you have about a 3 hour window give or take how well one has taken their pill on time prior. If someone is terrible and misses it by hours everyday then they really need to reevaluate being on it at all because the effectiveness will drop. Life does gets in the way though so it is simply not feasible to always take your pill at exactly 7:15 AM...some people might want to sleep in for example. For those individuals who miss here and there by an hour or two it is not much of an issue. It is the constant missing by 3+ hours or even days at a time that is a real issue.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Aska (07-05-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    46d 21h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Generics are the exact same formula the only difference is you are paying for the brand name. Just like when you buy the plain style bottle of Ibuprofen instead of Advil. Exact same thing but that name costs you twice as much.

The mind is a powerful tool and if a woman decides "this pill is different therefore it will not work" then her body can result in undesirable symptoms. Many women are paranoid of taking a pill in the first place too no matter what it is, and that too can have negative impact. It is best when choosing to go on the meds to tell yourself this can help. The science is remarkable in the effectiveness so it is not like it is some evil med out to get every woman...like some reviews might say.
    Can confirm my fears were unfounded. I had read so many recent posted reviews on drugs.com that I had been scared initially. I've noticed no changes with the generic.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    23d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I started three years ago on Kariva and it was fabulous. They decided after a couple of months though to try and switch me to a generic brand, though, and it screwed everything up. I lost my mind and was depressed and I felt bloated all the time. I decided to just quit and I lost some weight and felt better.
    A year later I tried going back on Kariva because it was all fine and dandy before. Well, not the second time. SUPER depressed and all over the place. I got crazy mad over nothing all the time and gained 15 pounds because I felt like I was starving 24/7 (I ate until I was sick on a regular basis), always nauseous. I switched to Larin 24 FE and I feel fabulous.
    The only problem I'm still having with it is my weight hasn't dropped yet but I think it will if I decide to go off of it or just slowly over time.

I've heard bad things about implants and rings but I kind of want one because hormones make me crazy. Glad this discussion is up, I'm educating myself. c:

Pronouns
    it
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    79/1
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I had the implant for 5yrs because I'm too lazy to take a pill every day
    Never had a problem with it apart from a little weight gain

Right now I'm on the pill ironically. Still forget to take it at the right time but so far everything is OK

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    6d 5h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Neofett View Post
    Can they hurry up with the male BC?! I think it's my husbands turn to go through all of this... Hahaha
    My thoughts exactly, lol.

TBH hormonal BC scares me. I've been with my partner for 4 years, and I was on the pill for about a year but it made me feel crazy, my periods were totally irregular, and I eventually gave up. So we've been using condoms 3 out of the 4 years we've been together, and honestly it hasn't affected our sex life at all, and more importantly I haven't gotten pregnant A condom did break once and I had to take the morning after pill, but once in 3 years isn't worth having to be on hormones every day - for me at least.
    Last edited by fartprincess; 07-12-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo