DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I don't think that any breed is 'bad' or 'evil'. Pitbulls are great dogs, they sadly don't always get great owners.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    383 times
    Time Online
    89d 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I dont think they are bad dogs. They are very individualistic and dont play with other dogs to well. I would not trust them with other peoples children but I know they are very family orientated and if I had one I would trust them with my own children. I also feel that the owner play a big role. Some games should not be played with dogs as it teaches them the wrong principles.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    My family (great grandparents- still alive, I've heard the stories) used to breed pit bulls.

I can honestly say that it does come down to how they're bred, not JUST how they're raised. Some pit bulls can have "bad blood." If you bring in fresh blood from another, less reputable breeder, those pups could turn out to be "bad." They once kept one of the puppies. Sweetest thing, loving and doting dog, never mistreated. One day, my wheelchair bound Great Uncle had the dog in his lap and was petting him. The dog licked his face, wagging his tail happily... and then suddenly snapped. He ripped my great uncle's ear off and shredded half of his face. This was when the dog was about two years old, and he was never quite the same again, and had to be put down. Again, no inbreeding, no mistreatment, no fighting training or experience. The sire was just a new dog they introduced to the line, and a handful of his pups became violently aggressive as they grew older.

So, you can't tell me that all pit bulls are just raised poorly, although any good dog can be forced to do bad things by the people they love. But there's definitely a sad but unavoidable truth in "bad breeding."

Pronouns
    Flor/Fleur
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    45d 10h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Unfortunately, it's the same with humans. Sometimes how they are raised they turn out bad, and then on a rare basis, sometimes they are raised well and are still bad. But this is happens with everything and anyone. But I still believe Pitbulls are and always will be the most abused dog breed in the world. People treat them bad, so they turn bad. But I've seen pitbulls treated so bad that you'd think they won't trust anymore, and they do. Honestly, everyone has a primordial part in their brain that is still primitive to the rest of the brain. This part of the brain holds impulses and choices. And sometimes the rest of the brain just shuts down and the primordial part of the brain switches on, and you do things you don't normally do. With any dog breed, when they bite their owner or snap like that, something really has to of happened to make someone snap like that, but most of the time, the dog feels so bad that they never feel the same again because they know they've hurt their owner badly. But in most cases they are euthanized. Probably it's best to, because they'll live a life of regret. But yes, no dog is bad.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    If you're going to compare an attacking pit bull to a person, it would have to be a teenager who goes on a violent rampage or a shooting. Something goes off. There's a misfire in their brain. You can backtrack and try to relate it to whatever makes you feel comfortable- video games, a poor childhood, depression, or just plain mental instability. It can be a combination of things. But in a lot of cases, not all, it wasn't preventable. Something goes wrong in their brain that isn't affected by their upraising, and then they become dangerous and unfit for society.

I think its the same with dogs. Whether its breeding or a bad owner, some pit bulls will snap without being provoked.

And, if you yank a dog's tail, or pull on its ears, or get in its food bowl, it shouldn't snap. Breeds that weren't made for fighting won't bite unless they are provoked violently and become absolutely terrified. Pit bulls are more likely to attack over little confrontations that shouldn't provoke a good companion dog.

That doesn't mean that they can't be wonderful, loving companions. Still, a dog is a dog and every dog deserves a chance. You just have to be aware that some things aren't changeable. Some people can't swing and become good, and some dogs will never be suited for living in a home. They require special treatment and sometimes can't be near children or other animals who may provoke them in the specific way they hate.

And I personally disagree with the feeling of regret theory. I don't think regret is an emotion dogs really consider. Regret implies a specific kind of hindsight that hasn't been proved to occur in the dog's brain. They think in presents and pasts, in good rewards and bad. If they bit someone and the reaction was bad, they may not repeat that action or may associate the bad reaction not with the action of biting, but with being around people. That's where you see they seem to "regret." They just avoid the thing that was negative. They don't think in futures and pasts so directly as humans.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    72 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Personally, I've never met a bad dog in my life.
    I've met a lot of bad owners, but never a bad dog.

My family owned a pit bull for like 7 years of my childhood (my dad still owns him). He is an amazing dog, he loves everyone and everything. All he wants to do is play. There's really not a violent bone in his body.

My brother got a German Shepherd/American Pit Bull mix. He's about 7 and a half months old, and about 75-80 pounds. And he is the biggest sweetheart in the world.

Quite a few of my neighbors own pitbulls, and there are a lot of children that run around where I live. All the kids love them, and one of the pits is easily over 100 pounds.

I'm not saying that there aren't dogs out there that will act violently, but that's all based on how they were trained. The dogs were trained to think that acting violent is good. They don't realize they're being bad at all.
    There's no such thing as a bad dog; Just bad owners.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    137 times
    Time Online
    53d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    @(you need an account to see links) I agree with you about never meeting a bad dog in my life (ok except that one time when I got bitten by a bulldog when I was a kid which has left a scar on my hand lol).

My teenage female cousin can be rough with her dog... sometimes Ive witnessed her slap his face , ok this is bordering on abusive but she's not ALWAYS like that... The slaps weren't painful I don't think, but I'm sure they were annoying to her dog, but he never bit her back or anything. one day she went too far and i wasn't there, but she got bit in the eye and had to go to the hospital to get surgery done (her eye is fine now, no scarring or anything), so they had to put the dog down...... Their dog was always cute and would get very excited when I came to visit, but because of how my cousin treated him and he finally lashed out at her, he was sentenced to death for something he did becuse he got pissed off at her.... It's pretty sad tbh. My aunty was tlaking to me about their dog and started tearing up because she loved him, but they had to put him down.

BASICALLY at the end of the day, a dog will fuck you up if you go too far. Dogs don't deserve to get put down over the negligence/carelessness of the owner tbh, and yeah pit bulls aren't bad dogs!

[/FONT]

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by marshmallowking View Post
    If you're going to compare an attacking pit bull to a person, it would have to be a teenager who goes on a violent rampage or a shooting. Something goes off. There's a misfire in their brain. You can backtrack and try to relate it to whatever makes you feel comfortable- video games, a poor childhood, depression, or just plain mental instability. It can be a combination of things. But in a lot of cases, not all, it wasn't preventable. Something goes wrong in their brain that isn't affected by their upraising, and then they become dangerous and unfit for society.

I think its the same with dogs. Whether its breeding or a bad owner, some pit bulls will snap without being provoked.

And, if you yank a dog's tail, or pull on its ears, or get in its food bowl, it shouldn't snap. Breeds that weren't made for fighting won't bite unless they are provoked violently and become absolutely terrified. Pit bulls are more likely to attack over little confrontations that shouldn't provoke a good companion dog.

That doesn't mean that they can't be wonderful, loving companions. Still, a dog is a dog and every dog deserves a chance. You just have to be aware that some things aren't changeable. Some people can't swing and become good, and some dogs will never be suited for living in a home. They require special treatment and sometimes can't be near children or other animals who may provoke them in the specific way they hate.

And I personally disagree with the feeling of regret theory. I don't think regret is an emotion dogs really consider. Regret implies a specific kind of hindsight that hasn't been proved to occur in the dog's brain. They think in presents and pasts, in good rewards and bad. If they bit someone and the reaction was bad, they may not repeat that action or may associate the bad reaction not with the action of biting, but with being around people. That's where you see they seem to "regret." They just avoid the thing that was negative. They don't think in futures and pasts so directly as humans.
    You shouldn't be yanking a dog's tail/ears in general. Every dog has a breaking point, especially if it has been abused. My bait dog, if you make weird breathing noises at her, she'll still go try to hide under my dining room table. Dogs give off very obvious signs of being uncomfortable and it is up to the human to recognize them. Not every dog likes every person he or she encounters. Hell, my old dog is a whore for attention. She LOVES everyone, but one person. It is asinine to assume that just because a pit bull was made to fight, that has to be so horribly provoked to it as ANY BREED provoked to that point will snap. Dogs are all predators at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Aska; 09-16-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: can't type

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aska View Post
    You should be yanking a dog's tail/ears in general. Every dog has a breaking point, especially if it has been abused. My bait dog, if you make weird breathing noises at her, she'll still go try to hide under my dining room table. Dogs give off very obvious signs of being uncomfortable and it is up to the human to recognize them. Not every dog likes every person he or she encounters. Hell, my old dog is a whore for attention. She LOVES everyone, but one person. It is asinine to assume that just because a pit bull was made to fight, that has to be so horribly provoked to it as ANY BREED provoked to that point will snap. Dogs are all predators at the end of the day.
    Of course you SHOULDN'T be yanking a dog's ears/tail in a normal situation, but children are rude and will do rude things to animals until corrected. If a dog is around children its pretty much guaranteed that its ears will be tugged on at least once.

That's part of socialization anyway. You familiarize them with all kinds of touches and teach them that everything is okay so they don't run and hide when you make weird breathing noises, or get irritated when a child tugs on their tail. You reward them for responding positively or not at all so they know that they can never put their mouth on a human no matter how frustrated they get. Because we taught them with gentle touches and tugs when they were puppies, all of the dogs I've had have been completely neutral no matter where you grab them or what you pull on. A child practically tried to yank my beagle's tail off (he was reprimanded of course), but the most reaction he got out of her was for her to spin around in shock, open her mouth to snap at him, then realize it was just a kid and lick his hand instead. That's the kind of reaction you want. Dogs can be taught to communicate their displeasure in nonviolent ways unless there's some deeper problem going on that can't be corrected. Not all dogs are predators at the end of the day. That mindset's been bred out of a lot of them.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    NOOOO WAY! They are the cutest most adorable things in the world! <3(you need an account to see links)